Patient Comments: Concussion - Cause

What was the cause of your concussion? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: May, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

I have had severe stomach and chest pain that wakes me up at night, even when I sleep propped up and have eaten very little during the day. These episodes last for hours, with nausea and sometimes vomiting, and though I down antacid pills with a liquid antacid, it takes a while for them to help so the pain goes from intolerable to being able to doze. The next day, it continues with pain when I walk, bend down, or eat. Triggers for me are coffee, wine, and Motrin, and wearing a bra that is too tight! I have avoided spicy and fatty foods for years. My stomach sounds like a chemistry set, with gurgles and dripping sounds, and I lam bloated and look about 4 months pregnant. I am hopeful that a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) prescribed by my physician will help. I avoid triggers, and keep walking or moving; it helps psychologically!

Comment from: chitownsuga, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I had blood work done last Friday because I have been feeling awful lately. They said everything was normal so I am reading on what is normal. Numbers were, cholesterol 171, triglyceride 55, and LDL 82. I read that cholesterol under 200 is normal but as I am reading other sites, it is borderline.

Comment from: depressed, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I have erectile dysfunction (ED) problem for the last one year. I do not get erection. The outside skin of the penis covers the tip portion, though there is erection. This gives a lot of pain and the feeling for sex dies out. No history of any problem. It just happened, no history.

Comment from: Jkyzar, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I got concussion when I fell on a concrete slab. I took 6 stitches, but I cannot tell you how or why I fell. I felt no pain at all. Stitches are out now, but all around my head is numb, and if I try to lie on that side it is like a weight falls on that side and it hurts. If I move too fast I get light headed, no other symptoms other than that.

Comment from: myra jean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

On February 28, I was awakened when I hit my end table by the bed. I hit the raised bar with my head and left shoulder. It knocked me out and when I came to, I wondered what happened. What was weird, the stuff on my end table was not disturbed. I went to my doctor 4 days later and he told me to get to the emergency room (ER) because my left eye was dilated and I could barely walk and was very pale. He put a work order for ER head trauma, left shoulder and right hip x-rays. They did not do the CAT scan. I finally got the CAT scan on March 23rd.

Comment from: Keith, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I had cancer in my right leg, but all good. Then I broke my same leg and am still on one crutch. It is still painful and I have a rod and pins. That was 7 months ago but because of my age doctor has said it could take up to a year. I am getting depressed now and it is still painful at times.

Comment from: shaboo2, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I had concussion when I landed on the back of my neck after jumping to catch a football, and getting tackled low from behind. I had seizures, eyes rolling, was unconscious for 20 minutes, and woke up in ambulance.

Comment from: Charlie, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I suffered a fall on concrete 2 days ago, which was the cause of my concussion. A chair broke my fall somewhat. I did have swelling on the back of my head, no nausea, and no immediate headache. Later I had headache, and some dizziness, now I'm sleeping a lot. I am diabetic and have Parkinson's.

Comment from: Lora, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

In 1947 I was in an automobile accident (I'm 74 now), ending with a concussion on the right side of my head at the temple, and a lump of a scar on the forehead above the eye. All my life it seems I always made the wrong decisions, said all the wrong things, did the wrong things, etc. Fast-forward to about six months ago I began getting headaches, some bad, some not so bad. I thought they were just allergies. Now they are 3 to 4 times a day. There is a place in that scar I can touch and hit that nerve, and it's painful, after all these years. I had an MRI/MRA about two weeks ago; waiting for the neurologist to tell me what the problem is.

Comment from: k1w1b1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

I have had four concussions, two from playing rugby in college, two from alcohol related happenings. My last concussion was six or seven years ago. Today when I got hurt in the head I feel the pain exactly where I hit my head the last time and one eye is relaxed, hard for me to open. I do now know it doesn't take much to rattle that brain again.

Comment from: thebbmurphy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

A few days before Thanksgiving I had a seizure. I was in the living room and fell face down onto the terrazzo floor when the seizure ended I had a large bruise on my forehead the spot is still sore and now I am having headaches every day and now an annoying ringing in my ears. I already take Fiorinal and Fioricet for idiopathic Chorea and neither drug is effective for the headache. I also take naproxen, Percocet and ibuprofen with no relief. I have had concussions before, but not with the chronic headaches or the ringing in my ears. I did see my primary care doctor and my neurologist 2 days later. I know I need to go back but I am afraid to drive; my seizures occur years apart but the fear is there this time.

Comment from: pepper, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I fell off a chair and hit my head on the corner of a wooden speaker. It left a 1.250" gash that required 4 staples to close it.

Comment from: Laura, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I fell off a ladder about 12' high and yes had a concussion. Do not remember what I was climbing for and anything after for 3-4 days. This accident happened in 2004 and I have suffered with migraines for a while. For the past year or so, where I hit my head I am felling it pulsate. My doctors do not know. I would appreciate your input and I thank you.

Comment from: 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 19

My son had his first concussion at 5 years old when our family was hit by a drunk driver. He had headaches for months. After about a year of declining memory and continued headaches we discovered that he could no longer focus his eyes to read or do school work. The muscles in his brain that controlled his "vision", not sight, were weakened by his head injury. He went through what I considered a successful treatment. We were thrilled. He started reading and learning math all over again. He picked up the sport of hockey along the way. About 7 mo. ago he got another concussion playing in a game. It was horrible. They are saying now that because of his repeated head injuries his brain might not ever heal. He has short term memory issues. He is wiped out and wants to sleep 12hrs +. His hockey career is over today. He loves hockey but I love him more.

Comment from: Maia, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 25

I sat on a roller chair in the break room that was broken unknown to me - the seat was not attached to the frame. Don't remember the fall where I hit the back of my head on hard plastic container and bruised my coccyx when I hit the floor. First week is an unknown - my right occipital, temporal and now right frontal area have sharp pain, migraine headache, wobbly walking, and anxiety problems when trying to go outside and take a small walk.

Comment from: CS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

My husband and I were rear-ended by another vehicle. Both of us were wearing seat belts at the time, but for some reason, my head did a forward flip-flop motion, hitting the headrest (my husband noticed out of the corner of his eye). I don't remember anything after that until I was on my way to the hospital. It was very strange, if you ask me; almost dream-like. Something like this has never happened to me before in my life and I am 52 years old. A CT scan was done. I was told I had a slight concussion and brain amnesia. My husband did not have any injuries at all.

Comment from: Joanne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I slipped on floor and fell hard hitting the back of my head against the corner of the wall. It cut it badly and it bled quite a bit.

Comment from: cawlm, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I fell on a tile floor 6 days ago, hitting my left forehead just above the outer edge of the eyebrow. I hit so hard my head bounced back after impact. I have a huge goose egg and deep bruising around the eye, above the eyebrow and on the temple. I have dizziness/balance issues anyway, along with chronic headache and neck pain. I don't know if I have concussion, but it does concern me that it felt like my brain was shaken.

Comment from: Frankie71, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

Five weeks ago I hit my head hard on a shelf. No bump, no dizziness, no vomiting, no loss of consciousness. Two days later, it was pain, fatigue and fogginess. CT was negative. Other symptoms are much less now but I still have a periodic and almost stinging pain in the exact place where I hit my head. It is aggravated when I sweat. If doesn't improve in 3 weeks, I'll call my doctor.

Comment from: Lil Mely, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I was longboarding without a helmet down a huge hill when I got the speed wobbles and pretty much just ate it. I fell off the longboard going really fast and got a mild concussion. I threw up immediately when I arrived in the ER. I was out of school and off of work for about a week and a half. Heaving lifting, too much exercise, and drinking alcohol all hurt my head a little still.

Comment from: door stop, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I had a wood garage door shut on the top of my head. It busted my head open. I blacked out for a few seconds and walked around with blood on my head not realizing I was hurt. For about a week I was still feeling really tired and like I was in a fog.

Comment from: concerned Mom, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 26

My 12 year old son had a severe concussion while wrestling last year. When he came home he could hardly say a word then, I realized something was wrong with him. We took him to the ER right away and had an MRI done which confirmed it was a concussion. He did not return to wrestling until after several weeks of follow-up check-ups and was cleared by the Sports Medicine Doctor referred to us by his pediatrician. But before that happened he was diagnosed with migraine. Aside from wrestling, he also plays soccer and football. Now my concern is that he has been having headaches almost every day. I want to know if this is the after effect of the concussion or something else?

Comment from: Lotta Payne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

The cause of my concussion was from a horseback riding injury. While galloping in some mountains, my horse was kicked by another and spun sideways. I fell off, and the back of my head either hit the ground first, or the horse's hoof accidentally stuck the back of my head at the base of my skull. I don't remember how I fell, just that my head hurt a lot. I fell from a height of about four to five feet.

Comment from: ickickick, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I was closing the hatch of my Jeep and the corner of the hatch cut my head. Blood was gushing out. Went to the ER and had four staples put in. I wasn't nauseated the day after, but definitely the second day!

Comment from: Oliver, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 14

I got a concussion from colliding with another player's head while playing soccer.

Comment from: Duke, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

My son has experienced three concussions over the last two years. He has had two playing football and now one waterskiing. He is very athletic.

Comment from: Still hurting, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

Ten days ago I tumbled backwards down the basement stairs and hit my head twice on cement. I had (2) CT Scans of my head and neck and also (2) X-Rays of my knee (as my knee was replaced) and also my shoulder. I am going to have a MRI of my shoulder as it is still hurting and the rotator might be torn.

Comment from: stupid, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

My dog pulled on the leash causing me to hit my head on the side of wooden gate above my right eye.

Comment from: ksa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I had a seizure and fell on my head. I had four staples. It happened again a month ago and i had seven staples put in my head. I feel out of it and tired all the time.

Comment from: day 2 day, 35-44 Female Published: March 16

I had a panic attack in the middle of the night and was sitting on the bathroom floor when I passed out. My head flung over and hit the wall. It is day two after the accident and I am still experiencing nausea, dizziness, slight memory problems and headache.

Comment from: Sharon38, 55-64 Female Published: July 26

I was hit by a small, flying rock to the middle of my forehead from a garden tractor. I held ice on it for 20 minutes, yet started feeling hot/cold and the headache seemed to increase in definition. Woke up feeling a somewhat upset stomach. I took Pepto-Bismol and an antacid. I went to work, came home, and slept for several hours. I woke up feeling better, ate supper, yet still experienced some headache to the right forehead, down my nose, and over to my right ear.

Comment from: susie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I fell down the basement stairs and put my head through a wall, both sides of the sheetrock. I blacked out for a bit, the next thing I knew my husband was asking me should he call the ambulance. I have a huge bruise over my left eye to my forehead, black eye, fat lip, scrapes above the right eye. I did this a week ago, still have a black eye and a pounding headache. My hair hurts...my head also pounds from my left ear to the top of my head. I was VERY lucky though.

Comment from: Unknown, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 23

I surfed the crowd at a concert under the influence of alcohol and was eventually dropped after 2 minutes of surfing the crowd on my head. I remember feeling nauseous and disoriented immediately afterwards. I had headache symptoms and slower motor skills for a few days after. Symptoms lasted for about a month to a month and a half, progressively getting better.

Comment from: marap, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 19

I normally drive myself from home to soccer game or practice and back, and one day I played for 45 minutes and the second 45minutes I couldn't remember anything. I just heard my coach saying he's driving me back home since i fainted. I was having severe headaches and the following day I went to hospital and was seen by a neurosurgeon and he diagnosed me with brain concussion and I want to back to play soccer but I don't know when I can go start playing again.

Comment from: Cherilou60, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I recently had a fall in the parking lot going into work. I remember going down but don't remember landing and have dreamlike bits of memory about transport and hospital visit. Six weeks later I continue to have occasional nausea and daily headaches most of which are barely tolerable.

Comment from: Fastpitch, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 15

My son went into a store and when he came out, his friend was getting beat up. He ran to help and fought off 3 guys and the 4th hit him in the back of his head with possibly a bat or tire iron.

Comment from: KingGrady, 19-24 Male Published: April 11

1st concussion when I grabbed a basketball rim and then slipped on the wet floor hitting back of my head (age 14) 2nd concussion when I was in amateur boxing, my first fight they put me in with someone who had 10 fights (age 18) 3rd concussion April 2nd, 2011 when I had my golden glove regional championship semi-finals...took a head butt in round 3, still got up to win the fight (age 24). I hope I don't get number 4...lol.

Comment from: lgray, 13-18 Male Published: March 29

My son was hit quite hard during a play at lacrosse practice last night. He was fully padded and had a helmet on, however he has had a headache in the lower back side of his head since, which is not controlled with Motrin.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I had a concussion after my TV fell on my head. I have had headache for 5 days and feel disoriented at times. I am also incredibly drowsy. I have been advised to rest but I am not sure how long for.

Comment from: accdntprone, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I've had a few. I was camping once and was walking past the public restrooms when someone beamed me in the head with the door they flung open. My latest one is from bending over to pet my cat in my bathroom and standing up too fast. I hit my head on the edge of my bathroom vanity counter.

Comment from: J, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I slipped on the ice when it was raining and fell backwards. I hit my unprotected head (top - back) on the ice/ground.

Comment from: attakayak, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I had a concussion when I was ice skating. My feet went out and I landed on my back with my head hitting the ice. I heard an awful cracking noise and I immediately felt sick. I took pain relievers and used ice packs for three days, but when the symptoms weren't getting better, I went to the ER. They did a CT scan and X-ray. All checked out to be fine, and they gave me Vicodin, Naproxen, and muscle relaxers. It's been one week as of today and I'm still feeling dizzy and the back of my head continues to ache. Just trying to take it easy.

Comment from: cat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I got hit on top of my head by a sliding door.

Comment from: mommajo, 65-74 Female Published: October 28

I have been awakened several times while in deep sleep with a severe headache on top of my head. It lasts around 2-3 hours. I take 2 Fioricet given to me for migraines but it does not stop the headache. The headache is severe and can hardly stand the pain.

Comment from: Help me plz, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

While I was younger, I had multiple concussions, in six months I had 4 concussions. One was severe. My vision was so bad all I could see was half of everything, only the bottom half. In grade school I had a total of 9 concussions (diagnosed by doctors). I was throwing up and in bed for a month. I am now 49 and having problems with memory. My head in the back feels numb, and I feel sea sick, and I cannot focus too long on one thing.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter