Concussion is a short-lived loss of brain function that is due to head trauma. There are two types of concussion, simple and complex. Symptoms of concussion include headache, nausea, dizziness, dazed feeling, irritability, visual symptoms. Physical signs include poor concentration, emotional changes, slurred speech, and personality changes. Concussion is diagnosed with physical examination and testing. Treatment for concussion in general are treatment for control of the symptoms, and time.Read more: Concussion Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Brain
The brain is one of the largest and most complex organs in the human body. See a picture of the Brain and learn more about the...
Picture of Brain Layers
That part of the central nervous system that is located within the cranium (skull). See a picture of Brain Layers and learn more...
12 Surprising Headache Triggers Tips
Painful headaches can ruin your productivity and quality of life. But what triggers headaches and migraines? Learn some...
Migraine or Headache? Migraine Symptoms, Triggers, Treatment
What does a migraine feel like? Discover the difference between headaches and migraines. Learn to spot migraine symptoms early,...
Concussions & Brain Injuries: Symptoms, Tests, Treatment
Concussions are a common type of traumatic brain injury. Read more about symptoms of a concussion, how to treat head injuries,...
Sports Injuries: Types, Treatments, and Prevention
Learn about common sports injuries types, treatments, and prevention. Can you heal a pulled muscle in the back, neck, lower back...
IMAGESSee brain scan pictures of Alzheimer's and types of dementia See Images
Related Disease Conditions
Epilepsy is a brain disorder in which the person has seizures. There are two kinds of seizures, focal and generalized. There are...
Stroke Causes, Warning Signs, Symptoms, and Treatments
A stroke is an interruption of the blood supply to part of the brain caused by either a blood clot (ischemic) or bleeding...
Approximately 40 million children suffer abuse every year around the world, and more than 1,500 children die of abuse in the U.S....
Broken Bone (Types of Bone Fractures)
A broken bone is a fracture. There are different types of fractures, such as: compressed, open, stress, greenstick,...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Hydrocephalus is an abnormal buildup of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) in the ventricles of the brain. The fluid is often under...
Healthy Living and Disease Prevention
The importance of a healthy lifestyle in disease prevention is widely understood and most people know that lifestyle changes and...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
First aid is a complicated subject and it is situation-specific. First aid is defined as the help and medical assistance someone...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Insomnia (Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Cures)
Insomnia is the perception or complaint of inadequate or poor-quality sleep because of difficulty falling asleep; waking up...
Hyothermia or extreme exposure to cold can be classified as either accidental hypothermia (unintentional cold exposure) and...
Dizziness is a symptom that often applies to a variety of sensations including lightheadedness and vertigo. Causes of dizziness...
Head Injury (Brain Injury)
In the United States, head injuries are one of the most common causes of death and disability. Head injuries due to bleeding are...
Internal Bleeding (Symptoms, Signs, Causes, Treatment)
Internal bleeding occurs when an artery or vein is damaged and blood to escapes the circulatory system and collects inside the...
Brain Lesions (Lesions on the Brain)
A brain lesion is defined as an area of damaged brain. Brain lesions (lesions on the brain) are caused by: trauma,...
Brain Damage: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment
Brain damage causes destruction or deterioration of brain cells. Traumatic brain injury (TBI) and acquired brain injury (ABI) are...
Coma is the inability to waken or react to the surrounding environment. The Glasgow Coma Scale is frequently used to measure the...
Seizure vs. Seizure Disorders (Differences and Similarities)
The differences between a seizure, epilepsy, and seizure disorders are confusing to many people. What makes it more confusing, is...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Double Vision
- Difficulty With Speech
- Tunnel Vision
- Difficulty Concentrating
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Where's the Best Place for Your Child's Sports Physical Exam?
- After Concussions, Some Ex-Athletes Show Key Marker for Brain Disease: Study
- More Time Spent in Sports, Faster Healing From Concussion
- FDA Warns About Consumer Devices That Claim to Diagnose Concussion
- NFL Retirees Help Scientists Develop Early Test for Brain Condition CTE
- Most Parents Want Age Limits on Football Tackling
- Fewer Boys Are Suffering Head Injuries, But Rate Rises for Girls
- When Can Kids Return to Play After a Concussion?
- Health Tip: Concussion Recovery for Children
- Are Soccer Pros at Higher Risk for ALS?
- Brain Condition CTE Seen in H.S. Football Players: Study
- Could Neck-Strengthening Prevent Some Concussions?
- Be Alert for Concussions in Young Athletes
- Even Non-Concussion Head Hits Affect Young Football Players' Vision
- Are Kids' Playgrounds Really Safe?
- Health Tip: What to Do If You Suspect a Concussion
- Middle School Football Players Show Changes in Key Brain Area
- Brain Changes Seen in MRIs of Young Football Players
- Even Young Football Players Not Immune to Damage From Head Injuries
- Concussion Tied to Suicide Risk
- Some Activity Fine for Kids Recovering From Concussions, Docs Say
- Blood Test May One Day Help Track Concussion Recovery
- Sleep May Speed Kids' Recovery From Concussion
- New Research Offers Insights Into Football-Related Concussions
- Does Dyslexia Gene Protect Against Concussions?
- Kids' Concussion Symptoms May Persist for a Year
- One Football Rule Change Might Lower Concussion Risk
- 1 in 6 Americans Over 40 Has Been Knocked Unconscious: Study
- Routine X-Rays, Blood Tests Not Needed for Children's Concussions
- Scientists Trace Link Between Head Injuries and Parkinson's
- How Severe Brain Injuries Might Trigger Dementia
- Obesity Adds to Burden of Traumatic Brain Injury
- Are Concussions Tougher on Athletes With ADHD?
- 'Heading' Soccer Balls May Be Bad for Balance
- 'Walk & Think' Test Could Be Key to Concussion Care
- 2.5 Million U.S. High School Students Had a Concussion in Past Year
- After Concussion, Are Legs at Risk, Too?
- U.S. Consulate Staff in China Fall Ill After Hearing Odd Sounds
- Even Mild Concussion Tied to Greater Dementia Risk Later
- For Soccer Players, Heading May Pose Bigger Risk Than Collisions
- Contact Sports May Alter the Brain, Scans Suggest
- Just One Concussion Could Raise Parkinson's Risk
- Brain Injuries Linked With Dementia Risk
- Older Brains Replenish Cells Just Like Young Brains: Study
- Theater Workers' Head Injuries Often Go Unreported
- Health Tip: Recognize Symptoms of Traumatic Brain Injury
- Wartime Bomb Blasts May Lead to Memory Problems
- First Blood Test to Evaluate Potential Concussions Approved
- Head Injuries Hit 1 in 14 Kids, CDC Reports
- Do NFL Players Face a Higher Risk of Early Death?
- Concussions Tied to Rise in Dementia Risk Decades Later
- Former NFL Pros Push for End to Kids' Tackle Football
- Concussion May Not Be Needed to Bring on CTE Brain Disease
- NFL Tightens Concussion Protocol
- High School Coaches, Players Know Little About Concussion
- Informed Football Refs Better at Spotting Suspected Concussions
- Saliva Test Could Diagnose Concussion: Study
- State Laws Help Reduce Concussions in Youth Sports
- Who's Most at Risk of Head Injury in Youth Football?
- Girls' Sports-Related Concussions May Last Twice As Long
- 20 Percent of U.S. Teens May Have Had a Concussion
- Girl Soccer Players Take More Chances After Concussions
- Golf Carts' Use Is Spreading, and So Is Danger to Kids
- Health Tip: Identify Symptoms of a Concussion
- More Evidence Contact Sports Can Affect the Brain
- Combined MRI Might Help Predict Brain Damage in Boxers
- Know the Signs of Concussion
- Nearly All Autopsied NFL Players Show Trauma-Linked Brain Disease
- Scans May Show Consciousness in 'Comatose' Patients
- PTSD After Head Injury May Signal Brain Changes
- Boxers, MMA Fighters May Face Long-Term Harm to Brain: Study
- Many High School Principals Know Little About Concussions
- Concussion Can Spur Short-Term Change in Women's Periods
- Concussion in High School Doesn't Boost Depression Risk: Study
- Force, Frequency of Head Hits Jump as Young Football Players Get Older
- 6 Out of 7 Possible Concussions May Have Been Missed in 2014 World Cup
- Boys More Likely to Hide a Concussion Than Girls
- Playgrounds Aren't Always All Fun and Games
- Hockey Doesn't Seem to Hit Players' Thinking Skills: Study
- 'Heads Up' Football Program Tackles Concussion Danger in Kids
- Which High School Sport Has the Most Concussions?
- More Babies in Strollers, Cribs Winding Up in ER: Study
- Concussions More Likely in Female Athletes
- NHL Veterans Pledge Their Brains to Research
- Repeat Head Hits May Not Put NFL Players at Risk of Motor Problems
- Student-Athletes Don't Have to Be Hit By Injuries
- Small Study Uncovers Brain Disease in Former Soccer Players
- Driving Skills May Suffer Even After Concussion Symptoms Subside
- College Students Seem to Take Longer to Recover From Concussion
- 30 Former NFL Players Pledge Their Brains for Research
- 'Heading' Soccer Ball Not Smart for the Brain
- Fewer NFL Player Concussions in 2016: League
- Link Seen Between Concussions and Alzheimer's
- Kids With Concussion Need Vision Check Before Return to School
- Zika Fears, Opioid Abuse Crisis Top Health News for 2016
- Better Sleep May Signal Recovery From Brain Injury
- New Approach to Concussion Diagnosis
- Rest May Not Be Best for Kids After Concussion
- Was Football Safer Back in the Day?
- Young Adults With Head Trauma May Have Higher Risk of Jail Time
- Brain Harm May Last Long After College Football Players' Final Game
- Researchers Explore Way to Detect Brain Injury in NFL Players
- Martial Arts Can Be Hazardous to Kids
- Blood Test May Someday Diagnose Concussion
- Pint-Sized Football Players Still at Risk for Injuries
- Few States Have Plans for Kids Returning to Class After Concussion
- Health Tip: Recognizing Traumatic Brain Injury
- Brain Changes Seen in Kids After One Season of Football
- Helmets Don't Prevent Kids' Motocross Concussions
- 1 in 3 Young Athletes With Concussion Returns to Play on Same Day
- Parents' Use of Outdated Advice May Slow Concussion Recovery
- Experts Weigh In On Newly Released Health Information From Clinton, Trump
- New Approach Helps Ease Teens' Stubborn Concussion Symptoms
- Rate of Youth Soccer Injuries More Than Doubled in 25 Years
- Removing Part of Skull After Severe Head Injury Brings Mixed Results
- Concussion Video Kicks Off NFL Season
- Kids' Mild Brain Injury Can Have Long-Term Effects
- Head Injury Screening Tests Approved
- Young Football Players Tackle Greatest Concussion Risk at Practice
- Brief Return of Concussion Symptoms Normal Part of Recovery: Study
- Safer Heads Prevail With New High School Football Rule
- Concussion Study Shows Player-to-Player Hits Most Damaging
- Concussion Rates Have Doubled Among U.S. Kids
- Concussions Strike 1 in 3 Water Polo Players
- Almost 2 Million U.S. Kids Get Concussions a Year: Study
- Kids' Concussion Rates May Be Higher Than Thought
- Concussion Tied to More School Problems Than Other Sports Injuries
- Delayed Treatment for Concussion May Prolong Recovery
- Even Mild Football Head Hits Can Harm Vision
- Study: Ex-NFL Players Aren't at Greater Risk for Suicide
- High School Football Players Suffer More Symptoms After Concussion: Study
- Playground-Related Brain Injuries on Rise in U.S.
- Sleep Doesn't Come Easy to Those With Brain Injuries
- Previous Mental Distress May Slow Concussion Recovery
- Study Suggests Brain Damage in 40 Percent of Ex-NFL Players
- Cold Weather Can Spike Football Injuries, Study Finds
- Study: Blood Test May Help Diagnose Concussions
- Football's Concussion-Prevention Efforts May Be Spurring More Leg Injuries
- Loose-Fitting Football Helmets Tied to Worse Concussions in Teens
- Pricier Football Helmets Don't Offer Extra Protection: Report
- Study Links Concussion to Higher Risk of Later Suicide
- Should Tackling Be Banned From Youth Football?
- Small Study Sees Differences in Brains of Soldiers With PTSD
- Illegal Hits Play Big Role in Youth Ice Hockey Concussions: Study
- College Football Player's Autopsy May Offer Clues to Brain Trauma
- How You Can Protect Your Children From Brain Injury
- New Rules for Mammograms, Tanning Beds Top Health News of 2015
- Slight Signs of Lingering Brain Damage Seen in Young Athletes After Concussion
- Americans Growing More Concerned About Head Injuries in Football
- Scans Show Many Injured U.S. Vets May Have Brain 'Scarring'
- Football Leads in College Sports Injuries, But Wrestling Most Dangerous
- Concussions Are Biggest Health Risk to Cheerleaders
- After Concussion Symptoms Fade, Slowed Blood Flow in Brain May Persist
- New 'Collar' Aims to Help Shield Brain From Concussion
- Study Finds Blood Test May Detect Concussion in Kids
- Limiting Tackling Limits Concussions: Study
- Safe Tackling OK in Youth Football, Pediatricians' Group Says
- Ex Youth Football Player: You Could End Up Like Me
- Concussion Recovery May Be Delayed in Older Adults
- Expert Tips for Preventing Kids' Sports Injuries
- CT Scan Use in Kids Fell Over Past Decade
- Head Injury Tied to Long-Term Attention Issues in Kids
- Why Concussion Recovery Takes Longer for Some Kids
- Banning Soccer 'Headers' Won't Solve Concussion Problem: Study
- School Coaches Often Ill-Equipped to Spot, Manage Concussions
- High School Football Players May Be at Doubled Risk of Migraine
- Rugby Player's Head Injuries Linked to Brain Decline
- Serious Concussions Linked to Memory Problems in Retired NFL Players
- Concussion May Hurt School Performance for a While
- Many Young Football Players Get Concussions at Practice, Study Says
- Health Tip: Gear up for Sports
- Women's Brains May Have Tougher Time Recovering From Concussion
- For Safety's Sake: A Young Star Player Quits Pro Football...
- Tracking Brain Blood Flow May Help Predict Concussion Outcomes
- Safety Add-Ons for Football Helmets May Not Cut Concussion Risk
- More Evidence That Boxing Can Lead to Brain Damage
- Eye Tracking May Help to Spot Concussions Quickly
- Concussions Linked to Memory Loss in Study of Retired NFL Players
- Middle School Football Doesn't Seem to Cause Short-Term Brain Damage: Study
- Extra Bed Rest May Not Be Best for Kids With Concussions
- Concussion Laws Helping Student-Athletes, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Does Your Bike Helmet Fit?
- High School Football Tied to Brain Changes, Even Without Concussion
- Parents Need to Take Lead on Teen Concussion Prevention
- High School Football Players Aren't Well-Educated About Concussion
- Brain Injuries in Older Age Could Boost Dementia Risk, Study Finds
- Concussions: Teen's Tragedy Spurs Policy Change
- Many Parents Need to Educate Themselves About Concussions
- Head Injuries May Raise Chances of Risky Behavior by Teens
- Concussion Recovery Can Reverse After Return to Activity, Study Shows
- Steer Clear of Dietary Supplements for Concussions: FDA
- Front-of-Head Hits Blamed for Nearly Half of Young Football Player Concussions
- Injuries on the Increase in High School Lacrosse, Study Shows
- Even Mild Concussion Can Cause Thinking, Memory Problems: Study
- Some Teens May Face Emotional Problems After Concussion
- Doctors Need to Protect Athletes From Concussion Risk: Neurologists
- Former NFL Players May Be Plagued With Chronic Headaches
- Study: Similar Outcomes From Combat Head Injuries, Regardless of Cause
- Broken Bones, Concussions Most Common Injuries in Youth Hockey
- Concussion Rates Double Among High School Athletes: Report
- ERs See Spike in Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Smaller Brain Volume Seen in College Football Players in Study
- Kids' Concussion Symptoms Can Linger Long After Injury: Study
- No Link Found Between Playing Football in Hot Weather, Concussion Risk
- People With More Education May Recover Better From Brain Injury
- Off Season May Not Be Long Enough to Recover From Football 'Hits'
- Girls Suffer Worse Concussions, Study Suggests
- More High School Athletes Complying With Concussion Guidelines, Study Finds
- Just One Season of Hits in High School Football May Alter Brain: Study
- Kids' Concussions Defined by Where They Live, Study Finds
- Blood Test Might Help Spot, Monitor Concussions
- Vets' Brain Damage From Blasts Not Always Apparent: Study
- Quick Vision Test May Help Spot Concussions on Sidelines
- 'Heading' Soccer Ball Can Damage Brain, Study Says
- Football Helmets Not Much Protection Against Hits to Side of the Head: Study
- Despite New Rules, Injuries Still Costly for NHL, Study Finds
- Concussions Common in Middle School Girls Playing Soccer: Study
- Dietary Supplements Can't Treat or Cure Concussions: FDA
- Power Down to Speed Concussion Recovery: Study
- Troubled Launch of 'Obamacare' Tops Health News for 2013
- Concussions Linked to Alzheimer's Risk in Study
- Troubled Launch of 'Obamacare' Tops Health News for 2013
- NIH, NFL Team Up to Take On Concussion Research
- Even Mild Hits to the Head Might Harm the Brain, Study Finds
- Higher Altitude May Lower Sports Concussion Risk, Study Suggests
- Concussion's Damage to Brain Lingers After Symptoms Fade: Study
- Even Football Heroes Can Be Laid Low by Depression
- Time of Month May Affect Women's Concussion Recovery
- Young Athletes' Concussions Often Unreported: Report
- There Is No Safer Football Helmet for Kids: Study
- Kids With Head Injuries May Be Prone to Depression
- NFL Veterans Show 'Abnormalities' in Brain Activity: Study
- Many More Kids Visiting ER for Sports Concussions, Study Finds
- Concussion Symptoms May Not Differ in Teen, Young Adult Athletes
- Health Highlights: Aug. 30, 2013
- Brain May Recover From Concussion by Compensating
- Brain-Damaged Athletes May Show Mood or Thinking Impairments First
- Quarterback's Death, NFL Study Split Over Brain Disorder
- Concussed Athletes May Not Be Good at Self-Reporting Recovery
- Teen Drinkers, Pot Smokers at Raised Risk of Concussion, Study Says
- Concussion Damage Looks Much Like Early Alzheimer's: Study
- Heading Soccer Balls Tied to Damaging Brain Changes
- Kids With Past Concussions Take Longer to Recover
- Football Concussion Risk Highest During Games, Not Practice: Study
- High School Football Players Often Not Deterred by Head Injury
- Sex Lives Often an Overlooked Casualty of Traumatic Brain Injury
- Kids' Concussion Recovery Varies by Symptom Severity: Study
- New Guidelines Raise Safety Bar on Concussions
- Brain Imaging Detects Tiny Lesions Related to Mild Injury: Study
- Single Concussion May Lead to Lasting Brain Damage
- Football Injuries May Trigger Harmful Immune System Response
- Multiple Concussions Could Up Depression Risk in Former NFL Players
- NFL's Seau Had Brain Trauma at Time of Suicide, Report Finds
- Former NFLers at Risk for Brain, Mood Problems
- Hillary Clinton Plans to Return to Work Next Week
- Second Hit Leaves Young Football Player in Wheelchair
- Hillary Clinton Hospitalized With Blood Clot
- Brain Changes Continue After Child's Concussion: Study
- Helmets Do Save Lives on the Slopes, Research Shows
- Citicoline Supplement Doesn't Help Treat Brain Injury, Study Finds
- Scans Spot Brain Changes in Patients With Concussion Syndrome
- Can Playing Soccer Lead to Brain Damage?
- Doctors Need Better Ways to Spot, Treat Concussion in Kids
- Young Athletes Not Worried About Concussions
- Study Shows Bicycle Helmets Save Lives
- Consistent Criteria for Sports Concussion Might Aid Diagnosis
- NFL Players at Higher Risk of Brain Diseases
- Expert Tips for Summer Sports Safety
- College Football Players' Concussion Rates Double
- Study of Retired NFL Players Finds Evidence of Brain Damage
- Headaches Worse With Mild Head Trauma Than More Severe Trauma
- For Combat Vets, Brain Injury Symptoms Can Last Years
- Brain-Injury Recovery Varies Widely Among Children
- Motorcycle Helmet Laws Save Lives and Dollars: CDC
- Ex-Players Sue NFL Over Brain Injuries
- Head Injury's Location Key to Concussion Effects
- U.S. States With Most, Least Deaths From Injuries
- For Some Athletes, Head Blows May Hamper Learning
- Concussions: Girls Have Longer Recovery Time
- City Bike-Share Riders Seldom Wear Helmets
- Survey: 1 in 3 Kids Hurt Playing Sports
- 'Catastrophic' Head Injuries to High School Football Players Rising
- When Does Boxing-Related Head Trauma Become Too Much?
- Nonsurgical Method to Measure Brain Pressure Shows Promise
- Aggressive Care Best for Brain Trauma, Study Shows
- 'Delayed Reactions' May Outlast Other Concussion Effects
- Kids' Concussion Symptoms Can Last a Year, Study Says
- Sports Concussion: Myths and Facts
- Drug Seems to Speed Recovery After Traumatic Brain Injury
- Teens May Fare Worse After Concussion Than Children or Adults
- Gloves, Padded Headgear Helps Protect Boxers
- Little Blows to Head Add Up to Big Risk
- Health Highlights: Dec. 7, 2011
- Concussions Might Affect Kids and Adults Differently
- Concussions on the Rise for Young Athletes
- Doctors' Groups Say Teens Shouldn't Box
- Dementia Risk for Retired Football Players?
- Helping the Elderly Avoid Falls
- Sports-Related Concussions on the Rise in Kids
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter