Cancers that form from brain tissue are called primary brain tumors. Brain tumors may be malignant (brain cancer) or benign. Certain risk factors, such as working in an oil refinery, as a chemist, or embalmer, increase the likelihood of developing brain cancer. Symptoms include:
- difficulty walking,
- blurry vision,
- vomiting, and
- changes in speech, memory, or personality.
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Top 10 Cancers Quiz
Take this quiz to learn the causes of cancer. Get the facts about the causes, symptoms, and treatments for the world's most...
Picture of Brain
The brain is one of the largest and most complex organs in the human body. See a picture of the Brain and learn more about the...
Picture of Brain Layers
That part of the central nervous system that is located within the cranium (skull). See a picture of Brain Layers and learn more...
Slideshow: 12 Surprising Headache Triggers Tips
Painful headaches can ruin your productivity and quality of life. But what triggers headaches and migraines? Learn some...
Cancer-Fighting Foods in Pictures: Resveratrol, Green Tea, and More
Experts have praised certain foods for their ability to reduce cancer risks. Learn which foods and eating strategies may help...
Migraine or Headache? Migraine Symptoms, Triggers, Treatment
What does a migraine feel like? Discover the difference between headaches and migraines. Learn to spot migraine symptoms early,...
Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More
Learn the basics about cancer including types, causes, how it spreads, symptoms and signs, stages and treatment options. Read...
Related Disease Conditions
Brain Tumor (Symptoms, Signs, Types, Causes, Survival Rates)
A brain tumor can be either non-cancerous (benign) or cancerous (malignant), primary, or secondary. Common symptoms of a primary...
Cancer Risk Factors
Though it's difficult to say why some people develop cancer while others don't, research shows that certain risk factors increase...
Epilepsy is a brain disorder in which the person has seizures. There are two kinds of seizures, focal and generalized. There are...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Most often, caregivers take care of other adults who are ill or disabled. Less often, caregivers are grandparents raising their...
Hyothermia or extreme exposure to cold can be classified as either accidental hypothermia (unintentional cold exposure) and...
Childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL)
Childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia is the most common type of cancer in children. Symptoms and signs include fever, easy...
Tumor grade is a system used to classify cancer cells in how likely the tumor is to grow, and how abnormal they look under a...
Brain Lesions (Lesions on the Brain)
A brain lesion is defined as an area of damaged brain. Brain lesions (lesions on the brain) are caused by: trauma,...
Brain Damage: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment
Brain damage causes destruction or deterioration of brain cells. Traumatic brain injury (TBI) and acquired brain injury (ABI) are...
Coma is the inability to waken or react to the surrounding environment. The Glasgow Coma Scale is frequently used to measure the...
Seizure vs. Seizure Disorders (Differences and Similarities)
The differences between a seizure, epilepsy, and seizure disorders are confusing to many people. What makes it more confusing, is...
Brain Cancer - Symptoms
What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain cancer?Post View 22 Comments
Brain Cancer - Experience
Please describe your experience with brain cancer.Post View 16 Comments
Brain Cancer - Prognosis
What is your brain cancer prognosis?Post View 2 Comments
Brain Cancer - Treatment
What treatment(s) have you undergone for brain cancer?Post
Local ResourcesFind a local Oncologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Seizure (Epilepsy)
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Cancer Research: Going the Distance
- Cancer Pain Management with Ann Reiner
- Cancer: The Importance of Joining a Cancer Support Group with Selma Schimmel
- Cancer Patients Need Proper Diet and Exercise
- Cancer: Living Well Despite with Win Boerckel
- Cancer Treatment: Writing to Heal with Margie Davis
- Cancer Survival and Attitude with Hamilton Jordan
- Cancer: Confronting Cancer with Humor
- Chemotherapy Side Effects -- Managing Your Life
- Blurred Vision
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Pet Dogs May Speed Human Brain Cancer Trials
- Many With Deadly Brain Cancer Don't Opt for Hospice Care
- Cellphone Radiation Safety Guidelines Released by California Health Officials
- Gene Therapy May Fight Brain Cancer's Return
- John McCain Optimistic in Battle Against Brain Cancer
- Could the Zika Virus Help Battle a Deadly Brain Cancer?
- Researchers ID Genes in Mice That Cause Aggressive Brain Cancer
- Childhood Cancer Radiation May Cause Unwanted Gene Mutation in Some
- Senator McCain Faces a Tough Cancer Foe
- Sen. John McCain Has Brain Cancer
- Vaccine Targeting Brain Tumors Seems Safe in Study
- Xanax, Valium May Boost Pneumonia Risk in Alzheimer's Patients
- 'Electric Cap' Might Help Fight a Deadly Brain Tumor
- Seniors With Brain Cancer May Have Better Treatment Option
- Study Casts Doubt on a Brain Cancer's Link to Herpes
- Chemo Drug May Combat Serious Brain Tumor After All
- Breast Cancer Cells May Change When They Spread to Brain: Study
- Mars-Bound Astronauts Could Face Dementia Risk, Study Contends
- Strides Made in Treating Childhood Cancer: Report
- Excess Weight Tied to Higher Risk for Many Cancers, Experts Say
- Some Brain Cancer Patients Have Radiation Options: Study
- Extensive Surgery Best for an Aggressive Brain Cancer: Study
- Novel Brain Cancer Treatment Taps Into Sound Waves
- Brain Cancer Treatment Shows Promise in Early Trial
- Researchers Find 8 Immune Genes in Aggressive Brain Cancer
- Could Canine Research Offer Clues to Human Brain Cancer?
- Chemo May Prolong Lives of Some Brain Cancer Patients: Study
- Brain Cancers Both Common and Deadly Among Teens, Young Adults: Report
- Allergies, Asthma Tied to Lower Risk of Brain Cancer
- Electromagnetic Waves May Help Fight Deadly Brain Cancer
- Jimmy Carter's Recovery Highlights Power of New Cancer Treatments
- Jimmy Carter Says Brain Scans Show No Signs of Cancer
- Optune Device Approved for Newly Diagnosed Brain Cancer
- Signs of Brain Tumor May Show in Blood Years Before Diagnosis
- Excess Weight Linked to Brain Cancer Risk in Study
- Removing All Visible Cancer Is Key to Treating Aggressive Brain Tumors
- Treatments for Brain Cancer Take Heavy Toll on the Brain
- Young Adult Cancer Survivors More Likely to Be Hospitalized
- Technology May Help Surgeons Tell Brain Cancer From Healthy Tissue
- Gene Therapy Shows Early Promise Against Deadly Brain Cancer
- Targeted Radiation to Treat Brain Tumors May Be Best: Study
- Tetanus Shot Helped Boost Brain Cancer Survival, Small Study Finds
- Privately Insured Brain Tumor Patients May Fare Better
- Use of 'the Pill' Tied to Higher Risk for Rare Brain Cancer
- Children Face Highest Health Risk From Cell Phones
- Aspirin Might Help Treat Brain Tumor Tied to Hearing Loss
- Scientists 'Silence' Aggressive Brain Cancer Gene in Mice
- Report Sees Continued Advances in War Against Cancer
- Antiviral Drug May Extend Brain Cancer Survival, Researchers Say
- Boys Have Higher Death Rates From Many Causes, Study Shows
- Health Highlights: Aug. 30, 2013
- Children Who Have CT Scans May Face Higher Cancer Risk
- Gauging Brain Cancer Survival Time May Get Easier: Study
- Q&A: Valerie Harper's Cancer
- Fluorescent Tracer 'Lights Up' Brain Tumor for Surgery
- More Focused Radiation Treatment May Work Better Against Brain Tumors
- Multiple Brain Tumors Even More Malignant: Study
- Gene Might Predict Brain Tumors' Aggressiveness
- Police Work Takes Heavy Health Toll: Study
- Men More Prone to Complications After Brain, Spine Surgery
- Brain Tumor Vaccine Shows Promise in Early Trial
- Dental X-rays Linked to Brain Tumors
- More Fake Avastin Found in U.S., FDA Says
- Study Suggests Vaccine May Help Kids With Brain Cancer
- Health Highlights: Feb. 29, 2012
- Health Highlights: Feb. 15, 2012
- Health Care Reform Battle Tops Health News for 2011
- Type of Muscular Dystrophy Linked to Raised Cancer Risk
- FDA Rejects Avastin for Breast Cancer
- Cell Phones Don't Raise Brain Cancer Risk, Study Says
- Seizure Drug May Extend Lives of Brain Cancer Patients
- Study: Cell Phones Don't Raise Brain Cancer Risk in Kids
- Expert Panel: Cell Phones Might Cause Brain Cancer
- Childhood Leukemia, Brain Cancer on the Rise
- Coffee, Tea Linked to Lower Brain Cancer Risk
- Exercise Recommended for Cancer Patients
- Pill Shrinks Some Lung Cancers
- Targeted Therapy Shows Promise Against Deadly Brain Cancer
- Study Reports Progress Against Fatal Brain Cancer
- Scientists Decode Brain Cancer Cell Line
- Combo Therapy Shows Promise Against Brain Cancer
- Marijuana Compounds Could Beat Back Brain Cancer
- Marijuana Chemical May Fight Brain Cancer
- AIDS Drug Slows Spread of Deadly Childhood Brain Cancer
- Sen. Ted Kennedy Has Brain Cancer
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Cancer Report Newsletter