Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Jo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

Nil. I had nil symptoms or signs of brain aneurysm. I had experienced a couple of minor headaches and blurred vision when trying to read for months. Mind you I was not using my reading glasses that I needed, my bad. I was at work doing my job (registered nurse) when I was required to take a visitor who was experiencing chest pain to the emergency department. Whilst at the triage desk where I was conversing normally and had no pain, I collapsed unconscious, no warning, and seized. I went in to a ventricular fibrillation arrest and required defibrillation intubation and was sent for a CT scan. I had a subarachnoid hemorrhage from a ruptured aneurysm of the anterior communication artery. I was well and pain free and functioning normally until I seized.

Comment from: Texashorseman, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

While pulling weeds in a flower bed I was struck by a copperhead snake. Severe pain ensued immediately. Finger turned black and blue within seconds. Five minutes after being bit I was on my way to the emergency room. Four days later and 1 surgery on the hand, I was released. A month has passed since the day of the bite but the finger is still in real bad shape. I was referred to a wound clinic for treatment. Of course after a month it is still very sore.

Comment from: debra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I was diagnosed five years ago with Sjogren's syndrome and have lost most of my sight. I have primary Sjogren's, which went undiagnosed for years till my eyes and corneas melted. I take 8 mg of methotrexate once a week and use Tears eye drops. But I also take omega three oil, juice, lots of greens, and walk 112 stairs a day. I am telling you diet and exercise help. Seriously, do not let them tell you different. I have one of the best rheumatologist, he is wonderful and is looking after me. I get blood check every month and I just notice this year that I am achy but I think it is overdoing the stairs. Diet and exercise help. I wonder how many of you had thyroid disease before being diagnosed, I think there is a link.

Comment from: DMR, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I suffered what was called a catastrophic brain aneurism, and should have died on the spot. I got taken to the hospital where I had 2 surgeries. One to put a stent in and clip the vessel, and one to put a drain tube in my head. Doctors told my family to expect the worse, three to six months in the hospital and rehabilitation, and even then I may or may not be the same. Miraculously I was out of the hospital in 2 weeks and spent 6 days in rehab. Other than feeling weak at times and getting a headache every now and then I am fine. It has been 5 weeks, I have been home for 2 weeks, and I feel normal. I can walk, talk, play my drums and do everything I did before. I am just taking it easy for now. From what I have learned about this, I will never understand how I recovered so quick and with all my faculties intact. I don't really know of anyone who was as lucky as me, but I am sure they exist. I had no symptoms before it happened, but I own a gym and was in great shape, which they say may have helped me recover. And lots of support. I am one of the lucky ones and wish I could give some advice on how to heal like I did, but I can't. I wish the best for everyone that has gone through this, and hope that you all recover.

Comment from: Tina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I was noticing a lot of headaches and my eyes also would ache. I thought it was from the migraine headaches I was also getting. There was a time I lost my vision, for about 5 minutes. Then I started feeling nauseous all the time. The day I was taken to the hospital, I felt the most unbearable pain in my head and I knew it was brain aneurysm.

Comment from: oldbessie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

Ok. Here goes. After having a CT scan, the doctor phoned me and said I probably had an aneurysm. At the time of writing, I go for another scan on the 18th, then will see a specialist. Now, I had been to see a doctor on several occasions before this, because of certain symptoms I have, and was ignored until my last visit, when finally the scan was ordered. I am pretty certain that I had suffered a mini stroke some time ago (when I was sent for physiotherapy, she noticed muscle wastage in my leg, and did ask if I'd had a stroke). Anyway, I sit here worrying, but find some of the posts quite helpful.

Comment from: rockport, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 05

My dad has brain aneurysms and has been treated for them. There are still 2 that are small and the doctors are keeping an eye on them. This happened 7 years ago. My dad is having pains on his left side of his head and body. He has had CAT scan and blood work done and it shows nothing.

Comment from: ks1022, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I haven't been to the doctor in a while for blood work, with relocating. But when I did, my AST was 63 H and ALT 86 H. I have rheumatoid arthritis and I do take a lot of drugs, for it. As high as they are I'm wondering why no one has called me about it.

Comment from: Betty Boop, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I am a 63 year old female, I got shingles in July of this year and I am still fighting it. It started on my scalp as a burning pain, then on my forehead; blisters started on my scalp down onto my forehead. The pain was unbearable and there is swelling between my skin and the skull cap. It has not gone away yet, I have been on two antibiotics and almost lost the vision in my right eye. An eye specialist put me on Lotemax gel eye drops and it shaved my vision. However the swelling and some pain remain on my head. Still on Lotemax and gabapentin for the eye and nerve damage. I still having fevers from time to time as well.

Comment from: Diane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I had been having vertigo/dizzy spells only while in bed when I turned over, along with a slight headache for about 2 weeks. I went to see my doctor and she ordered an MRI. They discovered a 6 mm aneurysm with a 2.5 mm neck. The next 2 weeks waiting for surgery was very scary. I had my coiling and stent put in last Thursday, came home from the hospital Friday evening and cannot believe how easy surgery and recovery has been. No pain other than the bruising from IVs. So much easier than living with the fear that it can rupture at any time! I previously had pain behind my left eye and my eye doctor insisted it was dry eye syndrome. I may have had dry eyes but I am sure the pain was from the aneurysm.

Comment from: survivor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

There were absolutely no signs or symptoms whatsoever of my brain aneurysm. I was sitting watching TV. I reached to the side for my coffee, prepared for a sip, and there was no cup in front of me. I looked to the side and there was my hand. I tried to move it, and it wouldn't. I tried getting up, but couldn't. So I called out to my daughter, and told her my hand and foot were not listening to me. She called the ambulance and they came. But signs and symptoms? None. The entire episode was painless. I still have no pains. One advantage though, I now sleep like a baby. And I wake up on time too. With no alarm clock!

Comment from: Kate, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I was at work, when I experienced a crushing pain in my head, this was July 8, 2014. My first thought was not again! I had a brain aneurism in February, 2008. That one was clipped. I have no memory of previous aneurism. This most recent one was coiled, and I did not lose consciousness. The headache before the coiling was extreme. I could feel my heart beating so hard, as if I had just been running for my life. This aneurism was located at forehead on right side; that explained the pain mostly on right side. I had no symptoms before this incident. I have no effects, other than tiredness. I will be checked again in 6 months.

Comment from: melody, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

My brain aneurysm started with poor concentration and vision, one sided severe ice pick ear and stiff neck pain together with headache that don't go away with the strongest NSAID drugs and anti-depressant. I had high fever for continuous 3 days and was given antibiotics infusion for several weeks but had a sudden gunshot one sided headache upon waking up in a morning. I was sent to the emergency room (ER) immediately and had my aneurysm clipped. I recovered quite well in 4 months.

Comment from: Lorna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I was in the middle of a yoga lesson when suddenly I had this terrible headache. I never felt this throbbing in my head and also I threw up more than once. I went to hospital, had a CT scan, then was taken in a helicopter to another hospital, and then was flown to London for my surgery. I had a ruptured vein and another formed into a balloon. I had an angiogram where they coiled it. I had a 3 week stay in hospital. I suffer short term memory and am on medication. It's been 2 months now since the brain aneurysm. I feel good but have to do chores lightly. If I lift something heavy I feel pressure in my head. I have to rest frequently and I'm not thinking of going back to work. I'm having my next MRI in October for a follow up.

Comment from: Dianne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I came home from work after a normal day and went to the shop. I heard a loud bang, I thought there had been a car crash. Next I had a pain in my head, it was like a red hot poker; and then my legs wouldn"t work. I sat down in the shop and they got me a drink. I wouldn"t have ambulance, I managed to get home and went straight to the doctor's. My blood pressure was normal, everything normal, I kept saying to my doctor there was something wrong. Finally he sent me for a brain scan and I had an aneurism. I had it coiled and have been fine. I still go for scans but fingers crossed I am very lucky.

Comment from: Garth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

The symptoms of my brain aneurysm started right after I went to the dentist. My neck was bothering me. I am very healthy at age 54, but that week I just thought it was my neck. The following weekend, Mother"s Day, I was getting dressed for work, my husband said I was screaming 'my head, my head', then I lay down, crawled to the bathroom and vomited. He called the ambulance, since I had passed out on the floor, and I do not remember anything for the next 2 months. It"s all a blank. I am laughing reading my transcripts when the doctors say they consulted me and my husband, I had no clue what was going on. A year later, I don"t like the new me, my balance is off, my left eye is giving me problems, I have stopped smoking. My doctor said smoking is what did it. Anyone out there reading this, please quit!

Comment from: Lolly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

At 66 I considered myself the healthiest person in town! On no medications, active, happy and strong!! Then at a music lesson I had the worst head pain ever. I felt dizzy and lay down on the floor. And passed out. My teacher called 911 and I was ambulanced to the hospital. I had a CT scan and taken immediately to surgery. They clipped the aneurysm and I was in neuro-ICU for almost three weeks. Brain surgery is not for sissies, but I am 100% recovered! When in doubt, go to the emergency room!

Comment from: carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I had severe spasms in my mid back for a number of years, also stiff sore neck at the back. While washing my car, bending down, I stood back up and everything started spinning. I felt very nauseous. I drove myself to the hospital, knowing that if I didn't, I may not survive. I felt like I was going to pass out on the way. I had no headache though, as many others report. CT scan showed blood in my brain. I was taken to a major hospital about four hours away. I had coiling, performed through my groin artery, four coils in total. I had had subarachnoid hemorrhage and was in hospital for 21 days, three years ago. I must have an MRI yearly, with contrast. There are no apparent side effects, I only take low dose aspirin daily. I am fortunate!

Comment from: anon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had two cerebral aneurysms in August 2013. One burst which led to a subarachnoid hemorrhage. I can't remember anything about it. I was with a friend the night it happened, and have been told one minute I was ok, the next I was talking gibberish then appeared to pass out although my eyes were open. Then I was physically sick, the next I knew I was in hospital. I was on HDU (high dependency unit) for 3 weeks and on a ward for a week. After the hemorrhage, I suffered a vasospasm. My speech and vision were effected. I was seeing treble vision, but was told this would settle down. My speech is almost back to normal now after speech therapy and have been for sight tests and learning to wear varifocal glasses and contact lenses. Months earlier (January), I remember my eyes starting to fail and also a lot of ear ache (still under investigation). I am still not fit for work, however, daily I am improving. The fatigue is the worst and some short term memory loss. I never kept a diary before, but now it is my life line. I have still not go my driving license back, so the feeling of isolation is awful, but I'm one of the lucky ones and live to tell the tale.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I had a right vertebral dissection aneurysm in November 2005. I had the worst headache of my life. I thought it was just from stress. I was 47 years old and have a history of migraines. Three months before the aneurysm, my mother had a massive stroke and my son and his wife had a baby three days later. I was in college doing specialized clinical rotations around our state. My husband has multiple medical problems and wasn't in the best of health at the time. I actually did three days of clinicals with the headache before going to the hospital. At that time, I was taking 1000 mg ibuprofen with 5 mg Zomig (migraine medication) every three hours with no relief. When I went to the ER, they did a CT scan and two spinal taps before sending me to a bigger hospital that was equipped to deal with brain injuries. I had four coils placed in the artery and suffered a mild stroke during the procedure. I was in the hospital for a week, five days of which I don't remember anything except having a central line placed. Since then, I've graduated from college and am working in my chosen field. I have some residual weakness on the left side, which is only apparent if I get overly tired. My left optic nerve has also been damaged, so I frequently have to get my eye glass prescription changed. I have some balance issues but, through physical therapy, have learned to deal with them. I was told that had I waited another hour or two to go to the hospital, I would have died. I think the hardest part of this has been dealing with people who don't know how an experience like this can affect you. I try to perform as well as my coworkers but, sometimes, the added stress causes really bad headaches. I still get nervous whenever this happens. In the back of my mind I'm always wondering, is this just stress or another aneurysm?

Comment from: hazel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have had abdominal surgery many years ago. I am having severe abdominal pain for the past 3 weeks, I think due to adhesions.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

My first symptom of brain aneurysm was severe headache that I had never felt before. Then it was shortness of breath. I couldn't move, then I lost consciousness. Thankfully I was still at work which happened to be hospital.

Comment from: diana b, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

My aneurysm ruptured in 2005, it started out as a severe headache and the rupture occurred while I slept. I was fortunate to have family that took me to the emergency room (ER). A nurse in the ER recognized the symptoms and alerted a neurosurgeon who ordered a CT scan. It was believed I would not survive the night, it took me nine months of therapy before I was able to return to work. However, the rupture damaged the nerves in my spinal cord causing them to tether and stick together. Seven years after surviving the aneurysm, I am in a wheelchair unable to walk. This has been the hardest battle of my life, I still fight daily to survive, the pain and nerve issues are constant... but I lived.

Comment from: dixeerose, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I had a sudden headache, vomiting, photosensitivity, and slurred speech because of the brain aneurysm.

Comment from: survived, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I woke in the middle of the night with a head ache, worse than I ever had before. Then I became disoriented and my left arm went numb. Was taken to a local hospital. The scan machines were not working so was taken by ambulance to larger hospital. After many scans and tests, it was determined that I had a brain aneurysm and two mini strokes. After the last scan, before surgery was scheduled, it was determined that it had healed over itself. The doctor has no answers and called me his "miracle baby". That was five years ago. I no longer have the terrible headaches which I was having. It took about six months before I was back to normal.

Comment from: kmt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I had a subarachnoid bleed of undisclosed origin at the age of 51. Rapid severe headache, neck soreness, dizziness, vomiting. Initial CT negative but lumbar tap positive. Later CTs also positive. Luckily, bleed stopped and hasn't started again. No corrective action other than meds initially.

Comment from: me, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I was epitome of good health 5 years ago and went to ER with mother of all headaches for 4 days. The CT and MRI did not show the aneurysm. They sent me home w/a "migraine." Two days later, I went back with worse headache and stiff neck. Finally, they took a spinal tap which revealed hemorrhage. Had coiling done but headaches were 24-7 for next 18 months plus chronic fatigue. I was a Tylenol junkie and went cold turkey. First week was bad but slowly, the headaches got better w/less and less Tylenol. If the headache is worst of all time, insist on all tests including spinal tap b/c CT and MRI don't always show the aneurysm!

Comment from: SHAMIA, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I would say I had the worst headache ever. I experienced the vomiting, nausea, and my left eye led was closed due to the fact that the aneurysm dropped down to the nerve that controls the eye from shutting and closing. I was in so much pain for more than a week. I went to the Hospital 4 days straight and was sent home with IB pills and was told nothing was wrong with me; it was just a bad headache. On April 21, 2009 I experienced everything all at the same time. I was vomiting all over the place, my vision became double, and it was the worst headache and nausea feeling in the world.

Comment from: ALC, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had had headaches, but they never felt like anything serious - just sinus headaches, especially during seasonal changes. I do not recall what my doctors refer to as "the event." I learned later that I had, apparently, vomited before being found. I have no idea if this was while I was conscious or unconscious. I had emergency brain surgery (clamping of the mid-cerebral aneurysm). Two weeks later, I had another surgery, a bone flap replacement. The headaches began immediately upon waking in the neuro ICU. I am on anti-seizure and pain meds for the time being, but the headaches never go away.

Comment from: Kevin Scott Lung, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I had a headache for about two weeks and took Motrin the whole time to no avail. I went to the ER and had a CAT scan done. The ER doctor sent me home with a prescription for 800 mg of ibuprofen and said to refrain from any physical activity for a few days. That did not work. I went back to the ER after I passed out. The ER doctor ordered an MRI, and within six hours after the reading, I was on the operating table getting the aneurysm clipped.

Comment from: game, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I suffered a brain aneurysm the night of January 3. One minute I was standing up in my living room and the next minute I woke up in my husband's arms throwing up non-stop. My neck was aching terribly. I never had the headaches or any type of symptom that this was going to happen to me. I stayed in ICU for five days. The headaches were every day after the emergency surgery on the 4th. They were able to use the coiling into my brain. I was only in the hospital for eight days after that, and I feel very lucky. The headaches have just about stopped now.

Comment from: sk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I have been having a pain in the testicles since the year 2009. My orchitis used to recur after several months, but now recurrence is almost monthly. Sometimes I notice tiny things like stones in my right testis. There is no pain during intercourse or even when urinating. I have gone to several hospitals but told that it's an infection.

Comment from: aneurysm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I was diagnosed with a brain aneurysm after 2 years of testing and testing. I begged my doctors for an MRA exam. Now I know I had it. I am still waiting to see another doctor. I am nervous, and I have anxiety. I am worried that if I allow the doctors to perform any operation it will be worse.

Comment from: cscottrn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I am a brain aneurysm survivor. I had an aneurysm clipping in February of 2011. Since then, I have recovered, with some short-term memory loss. I lost my job as an RN due to my extended leave of absence. I was denied disability as my short-term memory loss was deemed not significant enough to be considered a disability. I also lost my older sister last year to a brain aneurysm. I feel frustrated and very sad.

Comment from: Hannah, Female (Patient) Published: February 25

A few years ago I had a severe infection from a root canal which caused osteomyelitis and many Doctor visits. A couple years later I had a MRI which showed a berry aneurysm. I have double vision and stiff neck but minor headaches. I also need heart valve replacement partially from rheumatic valve and scarring from the infection which will require daily use of blood thinner. I am scheduled to see neurologist but don't want any risk of brain damage if it can be avoided.

Comment from: tommiejean, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I am 43. One day while I was at work, I got a terrible headache. The pain was so back that I could not move my neck. I told my supervisor that I was feeling lightheaded and that I could not hear myself talk. I was taken to the hospital by ambulance, where I found that I had three aneurysms. Now, I have a tube in my head for the rest of my life.

Published: February 19

I have talked to my doctor about getting tested for aneurysms, as I have a family history. My grandfather, my mother, and aunt died when she was 23, another aunt scheduled for surgery and also my younger sister age 33. My doctor asked if I really wanted to get tested as she has seen the diagnosis ruin people's lives. Have had some blurred vision but no other symptoms. I have three children under the age of 7 and I'm scared to get tested or not to get tested.

Comment from: Jennifer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

My brain aneurysm started with a sharp pain in what felt like my neck and lower left side of my head. I had trouble focusing and remembering what I had done a minute before. With my vision, I would occasionally see blinking/flashing lights or have double-vision. Another symptom was being extremely tired all the time. The pain spread from my neck to the left side of my face and into my ear. I ended up being diagnosed after a month with a thrombosed PICA aneurysm.

Comment from: trulyblessed, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I suffered an aneurism 2 years ago while at work. I initially was very dizzy when I stood up to leave my office. Something I haven't shared with many people is that I had been drinking those 5 hour energy drinks for two days before going to work. I was on my way to my car to get another one. Fortunately I was surrounded by some experienced staff who decided to get me to the hospital after I fainted rather than waiting for an ambulance. After arriving to the hospital one of the emergency room doctors said let's do a CT scan and that is when they discovered the aneurysm in my brain. I was told repeatedly by the hospital staff how lucky I was and I only respond that I'm blessed. I've quit smoking, and take my blood pressure medications, and never will drink another energy drink.

Comment from: Ronalda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

My headaches started when I was a 13. I went to the doctor and described my head aches he told me to cut my hair. At the age of 26 I was taken to the hospital where they found my aneurysm. I was airlifted to a trauma center where I was for 29 days. I have 2 clippings. I suffer from migraines once in a while. When I get them I am down I can't do anything. The thing I suffer from the most is PTSD. I have panic attacks, nightmares, and I flip out when I hear helicopters. But in my eyes I would rather go through all of this than die. At the time my daughter was 10 months old. I am happy because she is now 13. I had a doctor tell me I won my lotto in life. I say thank you.

Comment from: Janet, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I am a wife, mother, and grandmother. I am 70 years old. I had two aneurysms, and a harmless brain tumor, in the past few years. My experience was one of exreme dizziness, initially, and headaches. Then I had blurred vision. I felt bad and nauseous for so long and no one knew why. I had been going to a new PCP and cardiologist since my husband and I moved and didn't want to drive across town to see the doctor every month. But that wasn't such a good idea. My initial doctors knew my case and I could have saved myself a lot of problems. Now, the doctors are checking into all of the tests, blood work, etc., but they don't feel that surgery will be good for me. I'm 70 years old and have had many health issues since October of 2006. But my headaches and dizziness and nausea is very unsettling. And,my husband and I are pretty much house bound since he also has some issues. Not knowing just how dangerous this condition really is, is a stressful way to live.

Comment from: mcsheri, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I was 5 years old when i had a stroke due to a brain aneurysm. I have been left with gross and fine motor problems and I'm physically slow doing any thing. but to look at me you would think I'm normal.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I was diagnosed when I went to the doctor about vision changes in my left eye. I also had pressure behind the left eye, sensitivity to light, and muscles drooping around the left eye, eye lid, and check. My doctor thought I could have an infection. I have been HIV+ for 19 years, so he ordered a MRI. No infection was found, but the radiologist did discover 6mm berry aneurysm. It was determined to monitor it yearly, since the surgery is quite dangerous and the aneurysm so small.

Comment from: Geri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

Earlier this month, I was smoking a cigarette in the backyard, when suddenly my head felt like it was hit with a brick. I went indoors and sat on my bed. The pain was running down my neck and spine and shoulders and I couldn't turn from side to side. I felt tingling down both my arms, went all cold and clammy. I had just had eye surgery to remove cataracts from my left eye three days earlier and I thought I was having a reaction to that procedure. So I went to put my eye drops in, when I vomited violently. I was about to take Panadols and go back to bed but something told me that this was no ordinary headache. I contacted my son who is a geriatrician and told him of my symptoms. He told me to sit still and leave the front door open for the paramedics. He called for the ambulance straight away. They took me to the hospital where the CT scan and lumbar puncture confirmed that I had had a subarachnoid haemorrhage. I was operated on the next day with the interventional radiological treatment and four coils were inserted to stem the bleeding. I was in the high dependency unit for 10 days and graduated to the normal ward and was discharged on the twelfth day. Now I just have to be monitored regularly and have given up smoking.

Comment from: Loris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had a subarachnoid hemorrhage 6 months ago. After experiencing the worst headache ever, we called 911. The little town hospital I went to thought I was having a migraine and treated me for that for over 2.5 hours. Well I was also on Coumadin for a blood clot so by the time my 19 year old daughter yelled at them to do something the midline of my brain had been pushed over 10 millimeters. I was flown to a trauma hospital where they gave me vitamin K to counteract the Coumadin, by this time the midline was moved 13 millimeters. They told my family that I had a 5 percent chance to live through the surgery and if I did I would be a vegetable. Well I made it through and was responding right out of surgery. They did find another brain aneurysm on the opposite side and I will have it checked every 3 months. I still have some short term memory loss and aphasia when I am tired or stressed, but I am ALIVE!

Comment from: Brenda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I had different symptoms. I couldn't stop crying. My doctor thought I was just depressed. I came home from doing laundry on day and had seizures in my hallway. Ironically, the man who saved me died of an aneurysm less than 4 months later.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I was diagnosed with having a stroke. I had a cat scan that was supposed to be normal. The same night my husband transferred me to a different hospital where a neurologist took one look at me and confirmed that I'd had a stroke. The hospital then took me to x-ray for a MRI and a MRA the following day with showed an aneurysm. I was then sent to a larger hospital where they did an angiogram and said I had 3 aneurysms. We were to follow up with surgery dates. The next doctor's appointment when we were suppose to set the dates for surgery, the neurosurgeon wanted me to go back to see the neurologist and I don't know what to think now.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I had a constant headache over my left eye that would not respond to ibuprofen for two weeks prior to having the worst headache pain of my life. The “nightmare headache” as I call it now, came on suddenly. I also experienced severe neck pain, nausea and vomiting. I went to the urgent care clinic at my family physician's office. I was treated for a migraine and sent home. The shots they gave me had no effect on my headache or nausea. The next morning I went to the ER, had a CT scan and was diagnosed with a subarachnoid hemorrhage. I had the endovascular coiling procedure the next morning which successfully blocked all but 2% of my aneurysm. I did have to return to the ICU after a couple of days in a regular room to treat the vasospasms that began occurring. I was released from the hospital after 12 days and am happy to say I am back to work full time 2 and a half months after my surgery. The remaining 2% will be looked at in a couple of months, but I am having positive thoughts about that.

Comment from: 45 yr survior, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I had the classic worst headache of my life, and nothing else. It is only now when I think back I had a couple of dizzy spells just like when you stand up too quickly and that was it. It is now two years on since I had coils put in and I am fine.

Comment from: Robbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I had numbness in my arm for months so doc sent me for a CT scan for the slipped disks in my neck to see if they had gotten worse. What was worse was finding out I had 2 aneurysms in my brain. I was sent to a hospital that specializes in brain surgeries in another province. I immediately underwent surgery, with the clipping and shunts. I think I had the best doc ever because I was in ICU for 1 day and home in my bed 5 days after surgery. I was laid up for 6 weeks in bed however. I would like to get people out there to go get tested for your health. Oh and one last footnote...I had blurred vision (thought it was diabetes), memory loss (thought I was getting old), and numbness in face and around eye (thought it was from neck injury). GO GET TESTED IF YOU HAVE ANY SYMPTOMS.

Comment from: Debo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I have had a swishing in my ears for the past 4 months. Every time my heart beats I hear the blood flowing in my head. I was diagnosed with tinnitus and was told it may go away or I may just have to live with it. My mom died at age 39 of an aneurysm and was found to have had polycystic kidney disease, which causes aneurysms. The ENT suggested I go see another ENT. Original doctors had ordered Brain MRI with and without contrast, Doppler of my neck, CT without contrast and found nothing. Finally the third doctor had me get a CT scan with contrast...and now the story will begin. I was diagnosed with a brain aneurysm and am seeing a neurologist in 2 days.

Comment from: Sandee W, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

My mother's father died in his 50s of a brain aneurysm and she died at the age of 63 of a heart aneurysm. I am 58 and have Parkinson's and TIA's. I suffer from migraines and just found out I have an aneurysm in my brain. I go in at the end of the month to see the brain doctor again.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

I had a giant aneurysm that was 6 cm in size. I had no pain to speak of except for the occasional headache. I never had migraines or severe headache. I had a CT scan of my sinus for an unrelated sinus infection. That is how they found the Aneurysm. It was that big! It took 5 months to schedule the operation it was not an emergency. The operation took 18 hours. It was done at Jefferson university hospital. I was in for one week and in bed for one more week after.

Comment from: Cherylmoore, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I had the worst headache of my life; in fact, I rarely every had a headache previous to the one where they discovered the aneurysm. I also suffered from vomiting and diarrhea (I don't know if diarrhea is a normal symptom).

Comment from: jespino, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

My brother died at the age of 50 due to an aneurysm. He didn't know he had one, and suffered with a severe headache all day. I always get stress headaches, but after his death I requested an MRI and they found two aneurysms. After an angiogram there is now a total of four small ones. I will be checked each year to see if they grow or if I get more. I don't know if I was better off not knowing, because it really stresses me out more.

Comment from: storknest, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I suffered a brain aneurysm in 1994 when I was 36 years old. I was changing a flat tire in the parking lot at work and when I stood up to get the lug nut wrench my vision turned pink. I sat down and waited, and when I stood up again I could not move my head without getting a buzzing sound in my ears. I could not look up or down. I went back into the building and was taken to the hospital where the CAT scan did not show anything. The emergency room doctor then decided to do a spinal tap and pulled four vials of blood out. I had surgery the next morning where the doctor clipped the aneurysm. I previously had not had severe headaches or high blood pressure. Long-term symptoms have been weaker on my right side and trouble lifting over 40 pounds.

Comment from: loka, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 22

My sister died from a brain aneurysm she was only 22 years old she had always had bad headache pain didn't think of anything at that time but on the day of Nov. 28, 2011 she had suffer from a brain aneurysm the doctors couldn't do anything for her because they said it was too late. So please if you have bad headaches please have it check out ASAP it could save your life.

Comment from: SHAMIA, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I had the worst headache ever in my case. I experienced the vomiting, nausea, and my left eye was shut closed because the aneurysm dropped down to my nerve that controlled the eye led from closing and shutting.

Comment from: Pedro050, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

My father died of aneurysm when I was two. He died at the young age of 22. Unfortunately he had severe migraines during the remaining month of his life. One day he passed out and was immediately sent to the hospital. The doctors diagnosed him as to having an aneurysm and unfortunately he was unable to be treated in that particular hospital. Take in to consideration this all occurred in Peru during the 80's in a third world country. Before he was transported for operation he died the day of his scheduled operation. Well hopefully this isn't something that is hereditary.

Comment from: francie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I suffered a brain aneurysm June 15, 2003. I had a severe headache on the left side of my head, and a pain shot up the base of my neck. My youngest was 10, my daughter was 12 and my oldest son was 14. It will be 8 years ago on June 15, 2011. I went to Walter Reed on June 8 only to find out I have another one. I do not know what to do other than PRAY!

Comment from: hanging on, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I had an aneurism on my right side of brain 8 cm. I was scheduled for surgery within 1 month but my husband had a heart attack and I put it off for another month. I was supposed to get 1 coil put in but since I waited so long it grew and I had 3 large coils placed. Spent 2 days in ICU and sent home. My symptoms were dizziness and was told I had fluid in my ears for a year! I went to ER and was told vertigo, finally ENTdoctor did a brain scan and found the aneurism. God bless him for doing further testing. I did have a lot of pressure in my head but since coils were placed now all I have is brain freeze a lot without the pleasure of eating ice cream. It's been 6 days since my surgery and getting better each day. Hope to see my 52nd birthday.

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I went to the hospital with extreme Vertigo, was given medicine and sent home. I went again the next day and a CT scan was ordered, showing I have an anuerysm...However it has nothing to do with my other symptons, including a nystagmus, which is my eyeball shaking. I go see a neurosurgeon to see how to proceed. It is not bursting or bleeding. Doctors said I was just lucky that I came back to ER and a CT was ordered.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I am 50 years old. Out of the blue I developed a light sensitivity that would not allow me to open my eyes. When I attempted to they would water and pull shut. I had no other symptoms. I went to the ER and luckily three cerebral brain aneurysms were detected. I underwent an 8 hour clipping surgery. The following day I underwent another surgery due to massive hemorrhaging. They were able to repair two aneurysms. The third is very small and will be monitored. I am currently recovering at home and am planning to return on work starting with 1/2 days on Monday.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

At the age of 23 years I suffered months of severe head pain and nausea. I was diagnosed with a migraine. At the age of 42 years I developed numbness to the majority of my body. This was diagnosed as MS! Eventually at the age of 49 years after a heavy blow to the head and a week of severe head pain it was discovered that I had 2 'berry aneurysms' which the lager one was treated with platinum coils through the femoral artery in a hospital. My father, his father and grandfather plus 2 of his 5 brothers all died from this whilst in their 50's. So far only my younger sister has the same and was treated in UK by the same method but with different drug treatment which caused her many problems. (aspirin and warfarin). I had no drug treatment and no problems. The rest of the family have been tested and are clear for now.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

Sudden extreme headache took me right to the floor, vision was squirrely/blurry around the outside edges creating tunnel vision, extensive sweating.

Comment from: Praying4me, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I was diagnosed with a brain aneurysm yesterday. I had the worst headache of my entire life a month ago which began the research. I am interested in knowing if this is a leaking aneurysm. I can't shake the headaches and I feel nauseous. At what rate do the aneurysms grow as I have been told they all start out small.

Comment from: morshayshymas, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I had a Brain Aneurysm in 2003 that was found by mistake when my ENT doctor heard a brute in my Left carotid artery. I went to a vascular Dr. for an ultrasound and indeed I had blockage in my Left Carotid. Then I was sent to radiology for an angiogram test and the M. D. saw an aneurysm on the right side of my brain. I had Carotid Artery Surgery to open it up for good blood flow to my brain and 5 weeks later I had the brain surgery for the aneurysm. Two major surgeries in 5 weeks and I was in so very much pain but I thank God everyday for letting them find these two major problems in my body that could have caused a major stroke from the carotid artery blockage and death from the aneurysm. I am doing well now but I still have headaches.

Comment from: lucky, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I'm a 32 year old male. I had multiple seizures, messed up speech, and vomited before being rushed to hospital. It turned out to be a brain aneurism that had burst. I had a coil put in and was out of the hospital in 10 days. Headaches continued for a few weeks afterwards. I get a feeling of light headedness. But thankfully recovered.

Comment from: ernestjrstevens, 55-64 Male Published: April 19

Earlier this month an MRI detected a 4 mm aneurysm in my brain. In a few weeks I have an appointment with the neurovascular surgery department. I don't understand why not sooner. I just hope it isn't too late. My mother died in 1969 of a brain aneurysm and my youngest sister had a rupture in 2009 (she survived); however, you can see my concern.

Comment from: virtuious, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had intense pain behind my right eye and it felt like it was dilating. My left hand and left face went numb together -- all at the same time. The pain made me vomit. Also numbness and double vision.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter