Patient Comments: Botulism - Treatment

What kinds of medical treatment did you or someone you know receive for botulism? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Midnite, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I was infected with botulism after eating at a buffet restaurant. The effects started 12 hours after eating, when I fell and could not use my muscles to crawl, or stand up, then my feet became numb and felt like they were a foot thick. I was rushed to a hospital and started having severe bowel movements. They did an MRI on my brain and started an IV. I was admitted into the hospital and they began the process of discovering what the root cause of my problem was. My feet were totally numb and cramping in my muscles began. After a few days I was released, but because my feet were still numb, I could barely stand up and walk. It took me 8 months to recover, but my strength and breathing were not at full strength for a year.

Bacterial Infections 101 Pictures Slideshow