Botox, the brand name of a toxin produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum, blocks signals from the nerves to the muscles. When Botox is injected into a muscle, it can no longer contract, causing the wrinkle to soften. Botox injections last from four to six months. Bruising is the most common side effect. Read more: Botox Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Skin and Makeup Quiz: Test Your Skin and Makeup IQ
Are you doing right by your skin? Take the Skin and Makeup Quiz to learn how to make the most of your beauty regimen....
Picture of Strabismus (Crossed Eyes)
Strabismus, also known as crossed eyes, is a condition in which the eyes don't look toward an object together. See a picture of...
Picture of Wrinkles
Wrinkles are a by-product of the aging process. See a picture of Wrinkles and learn more about the health topic....
Related Disease Conditions
Migraine headache is a type of headache associated with a sensitivity to light, smells, or sounds, eye pain, severe pounding on...
Botulism is an illness caused by a neurotoxin produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. There are three types of botulism:...
Wrinkles, whether they be fine line or deep furrows, typically appear on areas of the body that receive a high amount of exposure...
Excessive Sweating (Hyperhidrosis)
Hyperhidrosis is excessive sweating of the underarms, palms, or soles of the feet. Treatment may involve over-the-counter...
Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)
Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) is an illness where a person is overly preoccupied with some minor or imaginary flaw. People with...
Pain management and treatment can be simple or complex, according to its cause. There are two basic types of pain, nociceptive...
Nerve Disease and Bladder Control
A nerve problem might affect your bladder control if the nerves that are supposed to carry messages between the brain and the...
People who have bladder spasms, the sensation occurs suddenly and often severely. A spasm itself is the sudden, involuntary...
Local ResourcesFind a local Dermatologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Botox May Help Prevent Post-Op A-Fib
- Need Your Botox Working Faster? Make a Face
- Health Tip: Botox Isn't Just for Wrinkles
- Can a Maple Leaf Help You Look Younger?
- Could Botox Cousin Combat the Opioid Epidemic?
- Looking Good! Plastic Surgery for Men Surges
- Grind Your Teeth at Night? Botox Might Help
- Botox May Offer New Hope for Young Migraine Sufferers
- Americans Are Spending Billions Nipping and Tucking
- Botox May Help Ease 'Burning Mouth' Syndrome
- Drug Tied to Dementia Risk Overprescribed to Seniors: Study
- What Drugs Work Best for Diabetic Nerve Pain?
- With Nips, Tucks and Fat Transplants, Americans are Reshaping Their Bodies
- Excess Sweating Can Be a Drenching, Wrenching Burden
- Botox Beats Implant for Urinary Incontinence in Women
- Experimental Drug Acts Fast Against Chronic Migraine
- Americans Embraced Record Number of Lip Procedures in 2015
- Botox Can Be Used for Chronic Migraine, Experts Say
- Botox-Like Injection Might Ease Runners' Knee Pain
- Botox Might Prevent Irregular Heartbeat After Bypass Surgery
- Does Botox Actually Rejuvenate Skin?
- Botox Eases Overactive Bladder, 2 Studies Find
- Botox: An Rx for Irregular Heartbeat After Cardiac Surgery?
- FDA Warns of Bogus Botox
- Ways to Treat Depression That Aren't Antidepressants
- Rear End Takes a Front Seat in Plastic Surgery Offices
- Overactive Bladder a Common Problem, FDA Says
- Botox Tested on Stomach Cancer in Mice
- Choose Wrinkle Treatments Wisely, FDA Advises
- More Evidence Botox Works for Depression
- Botox Might Help Treat Bladder Disorders
- FDA Approves Botox for Crow's Feet
- Breathing Problem Sometimes Misdiagnosed in Athletes
- As Economy Rebounds, More Folks Try Turning Back Hands of Time
- Botox Approved for Overactive Bladder
- Botox Injections: Option for Urge Incontinence?
- Most Forehead Lift Patients Recommend Procedure: Survey
- Happy Feet: Plastic Surgery for Best Foot Forward
- Botox May Ease Tremors in Multiple Sclerosis Patients
- Enter the 'Brotox' Era
- Scientists Spot More Migraine Genes
- Preventing Skin Cancer in Youths: Appeal to Vanity
- Botox Only Modestly Effective for Migraines
- 'Chinplants' Fastest Growing Plastic Surgery Trend
- The Most Common Cosmetic Surgery in 2011 Was ...
- New Procedure Makes Hyperhidrosis No Sweat
- More Patients Seek Plastic Surgery Advice From Facebook, Twitter
- Anti-Aging Products Not Fully Accepted
- Does Botox Affect How You Read Emotions?