Bone cancer is a malignancy that arises in the cells that form bone. Primary bone cancer is not the same thing as cancers that begin elsewhere in the body and spread to the bone. Tumors that arise in other locations and spread to the bone are referred to as metastatic tumors. There are several different types of bone cancer.
Bone cancer may not cause any signs or symptoms in some cases. The symptoms of bone cancer tend to come on slowly. Specific symptoms depend on the type, location, and size of the tumor. The most common symptom of bone cancer is pain that is often worse at night. Other associated symptoms can include
- a lump on the bone can be felt through the skin,
- joint pain,
- swelling, and
- weight loss.
Cause of bone cancer
There is no specific cause of bone cancer.
Other bone cancer symptoms and signs
- A Lump on the Bone That Can Be Felt Through the Skin
- Bone Pain That Is Often Worse at Night
- Joint Pain
- Weight Loss
Main Article on Bone Cancer Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Cancer-Fighting Foods in Pictures: Resveratrol, Green Tea, and More
Experts have praised certain foods for their ability to reduce cancer risks. Learn which foods and eating strategies may help...
Cancer: Cancer 'Remedies' That Don't Work
You may have read about an all-natural cure for cancer. While many therapies are helpful, some aren't worth your time or money....
Cancer: How to Lower and Cut Your Risk of Cancer
About a third of all cases of cancer can be prevented. Find out how to lower your chances of getting it.
Top 10 Cancers Quiz
Take this quiz to learn the causes of cancer. Get the facts about the causes, symptoms, and treatments for the world's most...
Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More
Learn the basics about cancer including types, causes, how it spreads, symptoms and signs, stages and treatment options. Read...
Examples of Medications for Bone Cancer Symptoms and Signs
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- codeine (for Pain)
- fentanyl - transdermal, Duragesic
- fentanyl injection (Sublimaze)
- fentanyl lozenge - buccal, Actiq
- fentanyl patch (Duragesic)
- fentanyl tablet - buccal, Fentora
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
- Oxycodone for Pain (OxyContin, Roxicodone, Oxecta, Oxaydo, Xtampza ER, Roxybond)