What's your body type: ectomorph, endomorph or mesomorph?
Body types or somatotypes are hereditary traits based on your skeletal frame (bone structure and density) and body composition (muscle and fat mass). Understanding bone structure and fat/muscle distribution can help you reach your fitness goals.
Ectomorph: This body type is thin, usually tall, and lanky. Individuals with a sturdy, rounder bone structure have wider hips, stocky limbs and barrel-shaped rib cages.
- They struggle to gain weight no matter how many carbs or how much fat they eat.
- They usually have a lean build with long limbs and small muscles.
- To gain weight naturally, they must load up on carbs and foods full of calories.
- Most of their calories should come from carbs and at least 25 percent from protein if they want to build muscles.
- It is also important to indulge in high-intensity interval training and eat something small every two hours. They must be sure to get all necessary nutrients to build strong muscles.
Endomorph: If an individual finds it ridiculously tough to shed fat, then they probably have an endomorphic body type. They tend to gain weight faster. However, they look curvy. Endomorphs usually look broader and have a triangular bone structure, narrower hips, and broader shoulders.
- They usually have broad shoulders, narrow hips and shorter limbs. While they have larger muscle mass, they also have a higher fat percentage because they are predisposed to storing fat rather than building muscles.
- They store excess weight in their thighs, buttocks and hips giving them a pear-shaped appearance. The best way for an endomorph to lose weight is through a combination of healthy eating and regular exercise.
- Start by cutting down carbs to only 30 percent of total daily calories. The other 70 percent should be divided into protein and good fats.
- Cardio is the best form of exercise because it ensures that the body does not revert to fat-storing stages.
- They can also do high-intensity interval training and cross-training to build muscles.
- Their main goal should not be to lose weight but to boost metabolism and prevent calories from turning into fat.
Mesomorph: This body type is generally considered the ideal body type. Individuals usually look lighter and have a more rectangular bone structure, longer limbs, thinner bones and a flatter ribcage.
- A mesomorph has a natural tendency to stay fit and achieve muscle mass very easily.
- They have more muscle than fat on their bodies and are not overweight or underweight.
- Just like ectomorphs, mesomorphs too can eat whatever they like without putting on weight, but the flip side here is that they may gain weight just as easily if they aren’t careful.
- Because people with this body type have a lot to do with muscle, it stands to reason that they need a more protein-based diet that can help build and repair muscles.
- They also need to consume a lot of fruits and vegetables rich in antioxidants and whole grains (quinoa, oats, etc.).
- Just because mesomorphs have a naturally muscular body doesn’t mean they don’t need to exercise. They do need training to stay lean. Alternating between weights and cardio would be the ideal workout for mesomorphs.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top Body Type Ectomorph, Endomorph or Mesomorph Related Articles
How Many Calories Should I Eat for My Height and Weight?Estimates for the average calorie requirement of a person are based on the estimated energy requirements or EER equations. These equations use reference heights (average) and reference weights (healthy) for each age-sex group. They do not provide the estimates for special situations, such as pregnancy and lactation or other health conditions.
Best Diet Tips SlideshowLearn to lose weight in a realistic way that works. Find healthy weight loss by eating right, sleeping more, understanding portion sizes. Learn how to set reasonable diet standards.
How Can I Lose Weight in 7 Days at Home?Losing weight in a short time requires patience and discipline. You need to bring about some major changes in your diet and practice regular exercises to shed off a few pounds in a week. Ideally, one should aim to lose a pound per week.
What Weight Should I Be for My Height and Age?Knowing one’s ideal weight and current weight is important. Being overweight or underweight may lead to various health issues.
How to Lose Weight Fast? Four Simple StepsAggressive efforts to lose weight faster can damage your joints and reduce your muscle mass. Here are four simple steps—which if followed religiously—can help you lose weight fast and at the same time help you achieve sustained weight loss too.
ObesityObesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are more than 20% over their ideal weight. That ideal weight must take into account the person's height, age, sex, and build.
Boost Your MetabolismLosing weight by increasing your metabolism is challenging. There are many metabolism myths and only a few surefire tricks to get your body to shed unwanted pounds. Learn whether caffeine, water, weight lifting, or anything else can be useful in boosting metabolism for weight loss.
Why Can’t I Lose Weight?Finding it difficult to lose weight? It’s a hard thing to do, and there are some surprising reasons you may not be losing weight as quickly as you hope. From sleep cycles to calorie counts, health food fakers to prescription drugs, learn many of the stumbling blocks that can prevent you from reaching your health goals.
Weight Loss QuizAre you trying to lose weight? Take this quiz to see what you can add to routine to get on the right track for results!
What Can I Use to Gain Weight Fast?Weight gain or ‘putting on’ body weight should be done healthily and safely. Bodyweight can increase when there is an increase in muscle mass, fat deposits, or accumulation of excess body fluids. There is no fast way to gain weight. Weight gain takes time, and it should be resorted to without taking shortcuts like binging on junk food.
What Is a Mesomorph Body Type?Body type is based on bone structure and genetically determined muscle mass. People with mesomorph body types are typically strong and solid and not overweight or underweight. These people never really have to work out or eat super well, but they always seem to be in great shape.
What Is the Ideal Average Weight for Women?The ideal average weight for women is the one that is healthy for her. It varies amongst women as per their height. As per the CDC report, the average weight of American women in 2015-2016 was 77.4 kg (170.6 lb) in 2015–2016, up from 74.3 kg (163.8 lb) in 1999–2000.