recovery

Patient Comments: Blood Transfusion - Complications

What complications did you experience with blood transfusions? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: melania, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 09

I had the sixth transfusion (RBC 1 unit) in 6 months due to overprescribed blood thinners after stent. One week later, I had extreme tiredness and weakness, more so than before transfusion. Thank goodness family assists me to walk (gait belt and rollator walker with seat if I need to quickly sit down just walking 15 feet). Family insisted 1 unit at 150 ml/hour rate was too high for my senior age and heart problems so they advised doctor/nurse team to transfuse at 100 to 120 ml max. I took Lasix pill at home 4 days later.

Comment from: confidential, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

At transfusion time I had a lot of nausea and when I got home I had severe chills. I was so cold and I could not get warm, I took a hot shower, had hot tea, put on the heater, and put my electric blanket and I was still shaking from head to toe. This morning I still feel chilled although not as severe.

Comment from: unsure, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I had a recent blood transfusion and iron infusions. Two days later, I couldn't move the arm that they gave the injections in. When I went back to the emergency room, they said I have a huge superficial blood clot (5 inches in length) and a bacterial infection.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter