recovery

Patient Comments: Blood Transfusion - Experience

Please describe your experience with blood transfusion. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: SavetheACA, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I had three units (3 1/2 liters) of blood transfusion due to internal bleeding. The next day I got mild gout, which had not really gone away for two months. I also had a fever of about 100 degrees 3 to 5 days after the transfusion. Say what you want, it beats the alternative!

Comment from: Nick, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 26

I had about 10 blood transfusions from September 23 through October 30, 2016. I was an inpatient for acute promyelocytic leukemia. It's now April 2017. I wonder if I could be getting side effects this late after the treatment. I'm bloated, tired, weak, dizzy, some back pain, and shortness of breath especially when I walk any distance.

Comment from: Nicki, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I just had a blood transfusion last week, after having some abnormal vaginal bleeding due to multiple fibroids. I went to the emergency room and was admitted because my hemoglobin had dropped to 7.7 (it was 8.5 a month ago). They admitted me and monitored my levels overnight and in 5 hours, my blood count went from 7.7 to 6.7, so I had to have a transfusion. After 2 bags, I left the hospital 4 days later with a hemoglobin level of 8.0 and a prescription for 325 mg iron pills to be taken twice a day. My experience was pretty calm; no reactions or pain, except for where the IV was inserted in the fold of my right arm (I'm right-handed). It was just weird that someone else's blood was being pumped into my body. I can't say I was happy about that. Now, I still feel very tired and the lightest activity exhausts me. I will be having surgery soon to remove the fibroids and hopefully that will allow my body the opportunity to build its own blood so no more transfusions are necessary.

Comment from: mandy712012, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I just recently had a blood transfusion. Well, 3 of them to be exact because my blood count was dangerously low to the point I could have gone into cardiac arrest. It went well, and they would not let me have anything at first, no food or water or anything till I got admitted to the hospital for 3 days. After my first blood transfusion they let me eat and drink water. My nurses were awesome. I hope I don't have to have it again but if I do, I know I will be well taken care of.

Comment from: Dina, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I had a week of heavy menstrual bleeding last year, and after it ended, I felt really exhausted, to the point even walking was a task. One day at the office, I could feel my heart beating through my chest and I was terrified. I told my husband and he picked me up to go have it checked in the hospital, and after a round of blood test and ECG, the doctor was somewhat shocked and asked me if I felt like I was having a stroke. I said no, I don't think so. But he was baffled that I was coherent, but my readings were all over the place. So after another full blood test, he found the cause, my blood count was low. Dangerously low and my body wasn't producing enough blood that my heart was working overtime to pump blood to my body. So I was admitted to the hospital to do an emergency blood transfusion. It was not an experience I want to endure ever again, but because of my endometriosis, it's highly likely I will. First, they won't let you eat, I was only allowed water. So the entire night I was there, I was put on a fast. My veins were narrow, so the blood had trouble going in. I didn't feel nauseous or anything, but I remembered my arms were always cold especially when the nurses would sometimes have to guide the blood up my arm. After almost 2 pints, and another blood test to verify the count went up, I was allowed to go home. The next few days I felt a little feverish and tired, but felt much better after that.

Comment from: Zeneta, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

My face got puffy and stayed like that even after a week of blood transfusion.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 15

I had my feet swelling after blood transfusion.

Comment from: Kelley, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I received a blood transfusion and the needle slipped so the blood started to go to the tissue.

Comment from: jaggareddy, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 21

After blood transfusion the patient is suffering from loose motions.

Comment from: Patel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

After my 28th January blood transfusion, today I got my new report and everything is very good. I was anemic with 4.8 hemoglobin which came to 8.1 after blood transfusion of 2 points. And now fresh report says it is 12.6. I'm happy but surprised as well, because during this 1 month I took only tardyferon B9.

Comment from: Patel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I am 47 years old. I lost a big amount of blood during my last period. I realized that I was feeling a lack of energy, and had a headache which I never have experienced before. I was getting tired soon. I got my blood test with 4.8 hemoglobin and immediately my doctor called me and advised to go to hospital. I have so many doctors in my own family so when I told them that I have 4.8 hemoglobin, they advised the same. I went to hospital and was given 2 transfusions which brought my hemoglobin to 8.1 and I left the hospital after 2 days in better condition and all my symptoms were gone. Thanks doctors, thanks researchers for giving me my life back.

Comment from: Boxero, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

Last night I received two units of whole blood for anemia due to chemotherapy. The first unit took almost two hours which I was told was normal because they needed to start slow and watch for reactions. The second unit ran in less than 50 minutes. That seems rather fast for a 71 year old with multiple medical problems.

Comment from: memehans, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I need a blood transfusion almost every month. I have had at least 30 the past few years and I want to refuse any more of them.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I have been transfused with 2 units of blood, and both my legs and thighs are swollen.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter