Patient Comments: Blood in Urine - Causes

What was the cause of blood in your urine? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Marie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I have been having microscopic blood in my urine for 5 years now. Also, I have been having bladder problems. I been having frequent urges to urinate, leakage, and muscle spasms when I urinate. The doctor gave me a prescription for oxybutynin. The urologist scheduled for me to get a CAT scan and a cytology test two weeks later. I am afraid that I might have bladder cancer.

Comment from: beeran, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I have recurrent kidney stones. Most of the time it gets out urinated. For one I had a lithotripsy. Now in the test I have noticed RBC 4-8 in the urine for the last 20 days and the prostate is slightly enlarged. Doctor prescribed tamsulosin 0.4 mg tablet. Till now there is blood in urine.

Comment from: Fasterthanever, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I found blood in my urine this morning when I went to the restroom. The second and third episodes got lighter, the fourth episode it almost disappeared. And I don't see blood in urine any more. I did kind of feel a tiny bit light headed, at least half of the day. Other than that I don't feel anything else. I do work out 2 to 3 times a week, mostly twice a week; kind of heavyweight lifting. I've been doing this for close to 30 years. I wonder if working out has anything to do with it. To name a few, dumbbell bench press at 90 pounds, shoulder press 60 pounds dumbbell, the squats and dead lifts are much, much lighter weights, free weights.

Comment from: Dino, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

My urine showed blood in it after taking 2 doses of Aleve to relieve strained muscles three days ago. On the warning, which I should have read prior to taking them, it states that you may experience stomach bleeding it you have any of 7 or 8 different conditions. I have 5 of them including being over 60. I am drinking at least 64 oz. of water per day.

Comment from: sparky, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

I had greenlight procedure done on 2/12/15. I'm bleeding on and off while urinating. I quit beer, coffee and anything else that would irritate the bladder, urethra, etc.

Comment from: Sandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I've seen some posts that described back pains with blood in urine. A few years ago I was experiencing back pain in the kidney area so severe it had me screaming. It came when I was lying down. I had to sleep in a recliner. And as fast as the pain came, it subsided quickly too. Urologist asked about medications. He immediately knew what the problem was. I had recently taken strong antibiotics. It had killed all the good bacteria in my kidney. We need that bacteria. If you take antibiotics, eating yogurt with live cultures will keep those good bacteria working for you. Never had a baby, but sure that pain came close. Horrible.

Comment from: Chrissy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I have been unsteady with balance issues and dizziness after having shingles 18 months ago. My blood pressure is high, 151/70 and my kidney function is not the best. I also have Alagille syndrome. I have just been bleeding into the bladder for 18 hours, it is now clear again. There is a little pain but not much.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 18

Recently I have had the urge to urinate at night but I am unable to relieve myself. I have seen a urologist and when I do go I do empty my bladder. I have no problem going during the day but at night it's near impossible for me to go.

Comment from: Bob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I've had minor microhematuria for several years. Since my half-brother died of bladder cancer, the hematuria was very concerning although he had been a heavy smoker. Abdominal CT with contrast and an in-office cystoscopy showed nothing aside from a benign cyst on one kidney. I did have some visible blood when urinating right after the cystoscopy, but my doctor told me that was not unusual. I also have an enlarged prostate and it was moderately painful when he pushed the scope through the prostate. I'm to follow up with my urologist once a year.

Comment from: stevo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I had a prostate biopsy 10 days ago and I am noticing 2 to 3 drops of blood at least once a day, at the very end of urinating. This started a few days ago. I did not have any blood in my urine or bowel after the procedure. I am taking Flomax and Vesicare every other day. I will call my urologist for possible explanation. I am waiting for 2nd opinion on biopsy, 1st report was not clear or conclusive.

Comment from: still kicking, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 18

After mowing my lawn with a riding mower about 2 months ago, I had a lot of blood in my urine, evidenced by a bright red urine. This lasted for 2 days and finally cleared up. The urine was normal for the next 2 months until I mowed yesterday. There was blood in the urine again! I suspect possible tumor(s) in the bladder as I also have trouble urinating at times or feel the need to urinate, going several times at night. Prostate has been cleared as a problem. The urologist is going to do a cystogram next month, so I'll learn more then.

Comment from: Wondering, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I have a history of UTIs (urinary tract infections) since I was in my mid-30s. Lately I have been having frequent urges as if I have a UTI, off and on for a while. It cannot be a UTI because it goes away and only happens at night. Doctor thought it was foods that irritate the bladder, I think it is maybe not drinking enough water, or changing to a different manufacturer of a drug that I take. There seems to be a laundry list of things that can irritate the bladder, however, I have always eaten these foods with no problem. I wonder if these things change and increase with age. This urination problem has happened in the past but not this many times. Today when I went to the bathroom I saw blood in the tissue. I do not see blood in the urine nor on my underwear. It is only on the tissue and only when I urinate.

Comment from: marci, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

I'm doing workout for 1 hour every day and I have blood in my urine. CT scan is negative and urine analysis is negative. I suspect that too much workout may be the key.

Comment from: Bonny, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am 25 and newly married. Twenty days ago I felt burning while urinated, suddenly next time I saw red blood in my urine, next time (after some minutes) all the urine was blood, and burning was so dreadful. My husband is a medical student, I called him, and he came and gave me an injection of Dismenol that stops bleeding. In the morning we went for testing, they tested non-bloody urine (because bleeding had stopped) and found nothing. When I said that I have pain in my back (kidneys) doctor said nothing, all the test results were ok. Doctor said that I have just cystitis concerning the burn while urinating. I can't understand why there was blood and pain if it is just cystitis.

Comment from: bladder, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

On September 21, 2013, it was a hot day, I climbed up a mountain for two/three hours without drinking any water, and discovered blood urine (gross hematuria) when I had a coffee break. Needless to say, I was scared, and went to see my family physician. He ordered: blood work, urine (microscopic) test, ultra sound of bladder, prostate and kidney. Everything came back normal (except prostate enlargement), then he referred me to an urologist for a cystoscopy. However, it took exactly two months to have the cystoscopy done (November 21, 2013). It just took the urologist 30 seconds to go into the bladder and everything was normal (a big relief). My family physician suspected me to have bladder cancer in the first place, due to my age (I am 60), he asked me whether I smoke and dye my hair. It looks like: age, smoke, paints, leather, dyeing are risk factors for bladder cancer. He didn't give me any antibiotic because he said male is less likely to get UTI (urinary tract infection).

Comment from: See a doctor, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I am a 46 year old female who experienced a UTI around 25 years ago. I have not had any symptoms or experiences until now. I recently had a laparoscopic hysterectomy in which a catheter was used for one day. Five days after the procedure I began to see bright red blood in the stool after I urinate. I went back to the doctor and she prescribed Bactrim, but after taking it for three days I did not feel any relief. I begin to take AZO cranberry pills and washed them down with cranberry juice and the symptoms were relieved. I am not having pain as often. The stool is no longer bright red. My urine is clear, but when I wipe myself sometimes I still see traces of bright red blood. It has been a month since my surgery, but I am going to see a nephrologist because of the traces of blood that I see when I clean myself. This is happening after I took the antibiotics.

Comment from: See a doctor, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

Comment from: Marie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I have had a number of UTI but this time I had different feelings. Pain in my lower stomach and blood in urine. Yesterday I received an antibiotic for 7 days. My Doctor is out of the office until Monday. I am not sleeping well up almost every two hours to urinate. Much burning when I urinate. My doctor sent my culture to the Lab and will notify me Monday. Monday I will call to see her again and see if my next step is a urologist.

Comment from: Kathy Mc, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I had a hysterectomy about8 years ago. While I was on the operating table, my gyno, accidentally sliced into my bladder. My bladder has been bleeding ever since. She sent me to a urologist, but as a self diagnoser/healer, I figured it would heal on its own and be fine. Well, now here I am today, every time they do a UA I have 3+ amounts of blood in my urine. They ask me about it, I tell them what happened, they give me a script for Cipro and send me on. This last visit though, the new doc I just started seeing, saw that I have that "gross" amount of blood in my urine, I have UTIs all the time, dysuria, urgency in urinating, feel like I always have to urinate, bladder spasms, abdominal pain, back/kidney pain. Decreased appetite. Although, no weight loss. Weakness and fatigued ALL the time, just tired!! My doc has referred me to a urologist to have me checked for bladder cancer. These symptoms have been going on for many years, so if I have bladder cancer, what are my chances if it is caught too late???? I see the survival rate for early stages if it has spread is only 60%.

Comment from: C.Bozich, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I was just concerned because I have had several urinary tract infections in the past. They have even on occasion gone into the bloodstream. Today however, it scared me. It began with a little pale flow. Then within a half hour it was really heavy. As if having a period. I had a pad on and needed to change in a matter of minutes. It began when I felt a quick urge to go. But when I sat down the flow quit. When I got off the toilet, within minutes it began flowing again. In an hour I used up a maxi pad.

Comment from: J Wilde, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 25

Had red or brown urine about once every 2 weeks for a couple of months, went to the doctor when it got more frequent and was bright red that day, he prescribed a ct scan but found out my insurance had been canceled by my employer so with no pain I ignored it. About 3 months later I started urinating blood every time with some clots in it. About a week later with still no pain I couldn't urinate at all for about 24 hours and then the pain kicked in and I had no choice but to go to the hospital, they drained 1300 cc's with a cath with lots of blood. Within a week I knew I had bladder cancer and have been in treatment for almost 2 years now. Don't delay if blood persists.

Comment from: Worried mom, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 10

My daughter has had liver pain for two years. A biopsy showed fat deposits in the liver. She has barely eaten for 2 ½ weeks — she can't drink much, has dry heaving, nausea, a tremendous amount of weight loss, and blood in her urine. The doctor can't figure what is wrong with her. I have asked them to check into a disorder called NASH. She's been in and out of hospital since 2010. She came home, and five days later needed to go back to hospital.

Comment from: rindy01, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I've had blood on and off in my urine for several months, and recently I have felt like my bladder hasn't been emptying. The doctor took a specimen and found blood, protein and white blood cells. I've been given two types of antibiotics for seven days.

Comment from: ingridj, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I am a 42 year old female. I was first diagnosed with blood in the urine at age 29 via a medical exam for a new job. During my first pregnancy at 31 years old the levels of blood increased during the pregnancy and I saw a specialist after delivery. His tests ruled out anything major and his conclusion was kidneys with larger than normal filters that allow blood cells through. I had three more children and the blood was present in every urine sample. I wonder if i am more likely to develop other kidndey conditions. My blood pressure was high during and after my first pregnancy but my specialist weaned me off medication and I haven't had a problem since.

Comment from: The Bard, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 21

My urologist still is unsure why I have hematuria (blood in urine). It started suddenly, was followed by a visit to the ER with ciprofloxacin prescribed, and ended 16 hours later. Went to a urologist, had a CT scan (no problems), a cystoscopy showing an inflammation, then a biopsy showing no cancer, but some redness in the bladder. I have been taking naproxen for a disc problem for six years, causing me to suspect it caused the bleeding. I am an otherwise healthy 70 year old man.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

It happened when I was 23. I was told that it occurred after sex. My penis was injured when I jammed it. Immediately after sex I passed blood clots and bright red urine. The doctor told me to not have sex for a couple of weeks. For years I would bleed after sex, especially if my partner was on top or if we would grind. After 20 years it may still happen, but rarely and not as bad.

Comment from: Thomas, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I was told by my doctor that my problem was from radiation which I had for six weeks for colon cancer. Part of the problem was that I had a catheter inserted while I was having radiation treatments. If I had known about the number of problems that that amount of radiation to the pelvic area could cause, I would have never done it. I ended up have surgery anyway because the radiation did nothing to the tumor.

Comment from: gto Bob, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

I had seed implants for early stage prostate cancer 25 months ago. I started to see occasional clots and blood in urine and I also had a burning during urination.

Comment from: perplexed, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

My doctor told me I had a trace of blood in my urine in 1987. He said not to worry about it. It has been 25 years and I still have a trace of blood in my urine. I have it checked periodically and it is always there. I have a different doctor now, but he said that if I've had it that long, that it was probably normal for me. I guess I'm still questioning if it's normal or not. I have no side effects. I have been told that my bladder is shaped like a bow tie and has been that way most likely since birth. I've always wondered if that had anything to do with ti.

Comment from: EEBgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I discovered blood in my urine after taking OTC diet pills.

Comment from: Kitty, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

My doctor said I have a suspected kidney infection.

Comment from: john, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

My doctor told me that I had blood in my urine because I was dehydrated.

Comment from: Jio, Female (Patient) Published: October 25

A urinary tract infection was the cause of blood in my urine.

Comment from: Sylvette, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

Blood in my urine is always a sign that i am passing more kidney stones. I first started to pass renal calculi at age 19. I visited the ER multiple times over the next several years, always with bloody urine and unbearable flank pain. Now at age 37, when I see pinkish urine, I know I need to follow my diet more closely (to prevent the calcium/oxalate combo). I also take in more citrate, like lemons in my water. This has helped tremendously. My condition is genetic but controllable to a certain extent. Docs say I have "gravel pits" in my kidneys (ha ha), lots of tiny stones. Thanks to Dad and Papa for the rocks!

Comment from: Dittobabe, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I fell off a wrought iron chair that hit me in the vaginal area.

Comment from: felicity, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I have had bleeding which has increased in frequency over the past 6 months. I initially thought that I was getting vaginal spotting and that intercourse was bringing on my period. I saw a gyno who has done tests which appear normal for the end of cervix and vagina and now wants to have a look in the uterus for any abnormalities. My doctor has not done any tests of my urinary tract and I wonder now that this is where the blood is from as I get it every day with urination only. I havent had any blood with sex but I am getting bleeding daily with urination. I am very scared now because the amount of blood that I have had during sex is a lot and now I that I think it is from bladder or kidneys this scares me to think that it is probably bladder cancer or kidney cancer. My mother has only one kidney so there is a history in the family.

Comment from: Jeanine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

after 35 days of pelvic radiation three years ago, I sometimes have some blood in urne after workout or standing too long on my feet

Comment from: bassman27, Male (Caregiver) Published: May 16

I'm 52 year old male RN. I treated many patients with hematuria. I'm also a cyclist. I had blood in urine with clots several times after 3 hours of cycling. It usually disappears after drinking fluids and cranberry juice. Got tested rectally for prostate and was negative. No fever or pain.

Comment from: concerned, (Caregiver) Published: July 12

For anyone with blood in the urine, you should see a Urologist. There are cancers of the urinary tract that can cause bleeding. Don't put off being checked out, especially if you can see the blood in the urine. I know many patients who have urinated blood only once to find out they have bladder cancer or kidney cancer or other maladies. Smokers are at higher risk, most people don't know this. These cancers caught early are very treatable.

Comment from: Annalisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I have had ongoing UTI infections for the last couple of years with microscopic hematura. I was diagnosed with a kidney stone and unknown mass by way of ct-scan and x-ray. The stone was soft and disintegrated during the utererscopy; while the probe has identified that I have some sort of kidney cancer.

Comment from: nuthutres, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I have been diagnosed with "high levels of blood in my urine" for more than 10 years now. I've had all the above mentioned tests and no one can find a cause for this. I do know I have very high uncontrolled blood pressure. My Nephrologist doesn't seem concerned.

Comment from: greta, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have blood in my urine after my husband and I perform sexual intercourse.

Comment from: lili, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I woke up 1 day before with pain in left side of my belly, next day when I was going to the toilet my urine was burning a little bit and I kept going in toilet all day long unusual for me. Next day I woke up and was in more pain, and the urine is darker and when I cleaned myself there was some pink blood in the tissue, and my belly feels like I'm full and I'm not hungry, I never have been in pain like this so this is strange for me. I'm only 22 years old.

Comment from: 65-74 Male Published: February 08

My husband when he urinates has reddish urine most times and I have also seen clots in the toilet bowl after he urinates but he will not talk to me or a doctor. This has been going on for at least 6-8months. Any suggestions as what I can do to get him to have this checked. I know he is basically afraid.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter