Patient Comments: Blood In Urine - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with blood in urine. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Bright A., 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I have gross hematuria, but the doctors are saying it is schistosomiasis. I have taken all the anti-infection drugs but the pains still persist, but each time I take Emtrim and diclofenac the pains will subside for some hours. I just don't know the particular drugs to take in order to clear the blood in my urine.

Comment from: Flash, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I had gross hematuria this morning; bright red blood with some clots. By the time I went to the urgent care, hematuria was only microscopic. No infection was found. I was never very susceptible to urinary tract infections anyway. I had maybe two in my life and the last one was over 15 years ago. No Pain, no other symptoms. The doctor wants me to have a CT scan to check for kidney stones, but wouldn't I be in pain if that was the cause! Guess I'll have the scan and find out what's going on.

Comment from: Ihadcancer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I take 2 full strength daily aspirin to prevent recurrence of stage IV cancer for 7 1/2 years now. Recently I have had pale pink urine on 4 occasions. The doctor believes the aspirin is the cause but tests are ordered.

Comment from: tacata, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

For a year I've been having urological issues. After cystoscopy, blood work and rectal exams and even a CT scan and PSA test, I was told no cancer. I've been having infections on and off the last few months. A few days ago I did not go to the bathroom for a few hours, went to urinate and I passed urine brown with blood. Tomorrow, I am getting my annual blood and urine work done. I hope for the best.

Comment from: Maria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I have been having blood in urine for years and urinary tract infections. But three weeks ago I had to urinate every thirty minutes at night. After five miserable painful days I finally was given Keflex. I got better but now I have pain in left kidney and was up all night again. I think it is much more than urinary tract infection. I am seeing the urologist and having ultrasound soon. Really tired of feeling awful.

Comment from: allenmad12, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 28

I have fairly heavy fresh blood from penis, even when not urinating. I also have swelling in my legs.

Comment from: david, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 21

My husband is 73. When he urinates he bleeds once in a while. He just had a urine test 1 week ago, everything was fine, and no urinary tract infection. I am not sure what causes this bleeding, this is the third time he had since last month. I wonder if I should take him to the doctor.

Comment from: ralph, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I am 80 so as one can imagine have an enlarged prostate. Six days ago in the morning I had bright red blood in my urine; none since then. I am waiting to see if it happens again.

Comment from: Ryan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I have had blood in my urine for almost a week. Urine looks like fruit punch most of the time. Blood work was fine, except creatinine was 4 times higher than normal. I am waiting for specialized urine tests. I also have blood in my stool. Prostate is ok. No symptoms, no pain in back, blood pressure is 110/78, and no pain when urinating. Gastrointestinal specialist scheduled in a week, no urologist scheduled yet.

Comment from: Alok, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 11

On 27th Sep 2015, gross hematuria was found first time. CT scan revealed kidney was well in shape and size. Prostate was 29 gm that the doctor says was slightly enlarged. Bladder was normal in shape and size, no mass seen, and no diverticulum, just a slight thickening of bladder wall. Liver was well in shape and size. Blood test showed PSA normal, creatinine normal, HB 15.8, but blood sugar 300 mg/dL. Means I was diagnosed to be diabetic (type 2) though there were never any usual symptoms. Since then I have had gross hematuria (blood in urine) every 15 to 20 days, thick clots. Hematuria is not total when it starts, always terminal, then either initial with clot or terminal with clot. I had very low degree pain around pelvic area, at times sharp pain waves going to the rectum area from bladder side. Gross hematuria stops in 24 to 36 hours by taking Pause (tranexamic acid) tablet. No fever ever. I noticed that if I press hard to urinate bleeding starts, looks like from the neck of the bladder. I don't know if it is hemorrhagic cystitis or prostatitis. Urologist is unable to tell. He has ruled out bladder cancer as urine cytology was normal. I am ruling out prostatitis as there was no blood seen in sperm immediately after or before urinating blood. In 3 months I have had 6 episodes of gross hematuria. However diabetes during these 3 months has been absolutely under control. I am taking metformin and diabetes has been under control (fasting usually is 80 to 90 mg/dL and post-prandial is 125 t0 140 mg/dL.

Comment from: Gregorinski, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I was hospitalized over Christmas with my blood pressure 232 over 150 with heart rate of 100. I was having blood in urine but felt fine, no pain or head ache. I have been given 1.25 mg of bisoprolol and 2.5 mg of ramipril. I'm on day 4 and my blood pressure is still high. I'm at the hospital next week for a scan of kidneys and bladder for tumors. I'm a little panicked.

Comment from: laney, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I had been taking Aleve for knee pain for about 3 weeks straight. I then started urinating very visible amounts of blood in my urine for about 3 days, at which point I went to a walk-in clinic to be tested for a urinary tract infection. The culture came up negative, and the bleeding had stopped, but I wasn't satisfied so I went to my doctor, who sent me for an ultrasound of my kidneys, and wanted me to follow-up with a urologist and have a cystoscopy done. At this point there was no blood visible but there was still blood in my urine. The urologist sent me for an ultrasound of my bladder and did another dip test, and I still had blood in my urine (although I wasn't able to see it). He sent the urine out for cytology and set up an appointment for the cystoscopy the next week. I just had the cystoscopy yesterday, and all my tests came back normal. There was also no blood in my urine yesterday. I'm extremely relieved everything is ok, and the doctor feels it was due to the amount of Aleve I had been taking.

Comment from: mky4963, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have had gross hematuria for several months. My doctor says they have done every test to find the source of the blood in urine, but didn't. They told me yesterday that there is nothing else they can do. Diagnosis is benign gross hematuria. It is each and every time I urinate. I also have bad pain in my back.

Comment from: Red Urine 1, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I had a traumatic Wednesday with possibly a significant dehydration. Through till Saturday I needed to work physically hard and did not drink enough water. Sunday I had blood and clots in the urine. My physician saw me on Monday and took blood and urine samples. The tests showed no red blood cells in the urine and no serious pathology with the exception of a slight raised PSA (8.2). I did feel fragile on the Sunday (and shocked). A week later I am fine. I am urinating in bottles. Some samples have a slight odor. The color varies from straw to light yellow. The quantity varies from 100 ml to 200 ml. My physician wants to repeat a digital examination of the prostate and the tests. The first digital did not indicate any abnormalities.

Comment from: JoleneS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I have had blood in the urine more than once and also had CT, ultrasound scan of pelvic and abdomen. I went in today for cystoscopy but it wouldn't go in and it hurt way too much. He tried to dilate me but that didn't work, now they are trying to schedule me for one under anesthesia.

Comment from: joe.l, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

Lately I have been urinating every hour waking up 3 or 4 times during the night. I realized I had urinated blood one night, about few ounces. I urinated one hour later and it was clear, no blood in the urine either before or after that time and it has been few days now.

Comment from: ag, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 18

I first noticed traces of blood in semen and urine about 3 years ago. It went away by itself in a few days. PSA, urine routine and culture showed no abnormality. About 18 months ago it occurred again. And once again PSA, and urine tests showed no significant abnormality. Two months ago I again noticed blood in semen and urine, but this time the intensity was higher. I have undergone KUB ultrasound, uroflowmetry, cystoscopy, biopsy, MRI, x-ray besides the urine tests. The tests indicate slight enlargement of prostate gland, but no other abnormality.

Comment from: elija atuen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

My back aches and then I had a urinalysis. The result was that I had 2 plus blood in my urine and the doctor gave me a pain reliever. After taking the medicine the pain was gone however I feel a little pain when I lay down on bed but when I am walking or standing I don't feel the pain.

Comment from: fl girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I had blood/mucous on tissue paper, itching and burning with urination but no urgency, urinating normal. I went to urgent care, dipstick of urine was dark, large blood, protein and trace leucocytes.

Comment from: lenaalissa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I had the most excruciating pain when I would urinate. It burned, stung and I felt pressure every time I would void. I noticed when I wiped, there was blood and a blood clot so I freaked out. Every 30 minutes the pain became intense, I started to void every 30 seconds. I went to the doctor and he said I have a urinary tract infection (UTI) that traveled into my bladder and is causing me to bleed. He gave antibiotics for 10 days and pain medications that turn my urine bright orange. So far the pain has decreased and I've been feeling better.

Comment from: jar, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 19

My son has type 1 diabetes, high protein in his urine, and now has gross hematuria. All tests have been negative, and now they want to do a scope, and a kidney biopsy. I wonder if it could be caused by risperidone which he started taking about a year ago and this blood only started showing up about 6 months ago. Nothing else has changed!

Comment from: Clem, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I have had two of three drops of blood in my first urination of the day (after lying down for several hours), this has been on and off for several months. The only other time a drop or two of blood mixed with urine escapes my urine is if I am constipated and push. My feeling is that my enlarged prostate is the culprit, 8.6 on my last PSA, but my 24 section biopsy was clean. My urologist never heard of only the first drop in the morning urine having blood, the rest of the day shows no sign of blood. Anyone with a similar situation who got a clear answer, I"d love to hear from.

Comment from: designrox1103, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I was diagnosed with uterine cancer in March of 2012, and in July 2012 I underwent a total hysterectomy performed laparoscopic/vaginally. Recovery went well. In March 2014, I developed an intense urgency to urinate, passed small amounts of urine, clearly red and at times with clots. On Sunday, three hours of these symptoms came and went, Monday I had no symptoms, Tuesday, frequent urgency, Wednesday awakening with urgency, and a constant cycle of going to urinate every five minutes, lots of red blood with a clot or two. It"s been 90 minutes of this cycle thus far this morning. My general physician is away. My concern is a recurrence of cancer.

Comment from: rafael ibarra, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I went to my doctor to get my lab results and he said I have a trace of blood in my urine. He said on a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being the highest blood in the urine, I had a 5. I"m going back to take another urine test to rule out kidney stones, lumps in my kidneys or cancer.

Comment from: enkay, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

I have blood in my urine for the last 15 days. I have no pain whatsoever. Ultrasound of kidney and bladder is negative. CT scan of kidney and bladder also is negative. I am waiting for interpretation of CT scan with contrast and another blood test. The urologist noticed 2 surgical staples left over from a previous surgery in the groin area. I don't know if that could have caused the issue but highly unlikely. Fingers crossed until a second visit to the urologist next week. If nothing is found, cystoscopy is needed, I believe. Sigh... I hope they find the root cause so it can be addressed.

Comment from: Deb Bourcy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I have had a lot of UTIs (urinary tract infections) throughout my younger ages and a lot in my 40s. I have never had a CAT scan to see exactly what is creating these issues. I am worried for having had so many and worsening with not having all procedures done is concerning. Sex would 88% of the time give me an infection. This one here and now came on fast and furious. My low back was achy but I have had low back surgery years ago sometimes I overdo creating achy low back. Today I went to use the room, I had terrible pain and small amount of urine with blood clots and blood dripping as I sat there cringing from pain. I have been informed taking soaking-in baths which I no longer do, can create UTI. I am a very clean woman and take no soaking baths. I feel often my bladder is not emptied creating more trips to the room, but to create blood clotting, dripping blood and the terrible pain while eliminating the urine, I do not know if that creates all this pain and suffering. I am appalled I have not ever had all the testing. I will now that I have more knowledge. Problem is if one is not aware of full protocol and treated the same each time from my first one as young teen to Dec 2013 infection, which must not have cleared, for a month later here I am. Doctors must inform and follow through protocol whether it's first UTI and for sure a given for one as myself who has had far too many. Also considering I have eliminated sex as creator, the bath soaking or bathing in tub at all eliminated, clean front to back, but this is still problem. I have been informed some are more susceptible than others. I want an answer as approaching 60 now, I am very concerned.

Comment from: Maria, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I have been told by my doctor that I have blood in my urine; since then and no other action on his side. I have noticed the blood is brown; it is in my urine and since I use light pads for a leaky bladder, I notice when I cough and urinate the brown spot is left on the pad, so it is blood. I am also having a pain on my lower left side of the pubic area, just below and to the side a bit off the mound that is always sore. And sometimes laying still at night I feel a slight bubbly feeling in that area; like air is escaping or something. Pain is always there on my left side pelvic area approximately 2 inches to the left of my urethra (where I urinate from).

Comment from: Heidi F., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I am a 61 year old female who has been menopausal for the past 8 years. For the last 2 weeks, I have been noticing increasing amounts of blood in my urine which is now red-brown. I also have a very bloated abdomen and feel pressure in my lower abdomen mostly on the left side. My doctor did a urine test and has ruled out a UTI (urinary tract infection). Years prior to menopause, I suffered from painful endometriosis and had laser surgery. I am wondering if my endometriosis could be active again. I do not take any estrogen or hormone replacement therapy.

Comment from: BLES, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

In the doctor's office, I offered a 'by the way, I have this pain' after describing my orginal reason for seeing the dr. in the first place. I've had a soft, tender spot just above my waist on the left side, but could not necessary feel a lump. They did. They took a urine sample and found blood in the urine. Now I wait - for an ultrasound & more in depth blood work. I cannot see blood in my urine, nor do I have pain when urinating. Thank goodness for thorough doctors!

Comment from: Mr. Hippy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

Hello. I am 50 years old, 4 weeks post-op from hip replacement surgery, and I have recently have several incidents of blood in my urine, always at night. My urine comes out normally for the most part but once in a while I have a very brief burning sensation and then I pass just a little bit of bright red blood. I just had a full pre-op physical exam and my prostate was normal (digital exam). I don't seem to have any other pronounced symptoms (fever, chills, pain in kidneys, etc.) I have been experiencing frequent night-time urination (4-5 times per night) although the blood has only appeared 2 or 3 times. I am currently taking coumadin on a daily basis and hydrocodone/APAP for pain, as needed. Your thoughts woulkd be much appreciated.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I had a seemingly large amount of blood in my urine, and my urologist said that visible amounts of blood in the urine IS cause for attention. An exam revealed quickly what would be classified as a non-aggressive tumor that is easily removed. I had no pains or unusual urination symptoms, just blood clots and red urine.

Comment from: Suzyque, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

Every time I eat fats, shortly afterwards I have blood in my urine and it is now happening more than it used to.

Comment from: John, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

The last two urinations, before bed, I had urine with bright red blood. First urination, the next morning, it was reddish brown. Reddish color diminished during that day, and was clear by that night. I had only one other time, a couple of years ago, when my urine was reddish brown, but only in one urination.

Comment from: shahid, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

Yesterday when I was sitting in the toilet in the evening time, I saw l 3 or 4 drops of blood in my urine. I am very worried about how I can afford my treatment cost. I am not earning that much and I fear that I might lose my life with this problem if I do not get and treatment. I am also a high blood pressure patient.

Comment from: Michael, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I just went to urinate tonight and saw drops of blood in the urine at the end. There's even blood at the tip of my penis. Every time I went earlier today, it was normal.

Comment from: ah0099183s, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I have been experiencing some lower groin pain with trace blood in my urine. I have checked it 3 times in the past week each time having blood in my urine. Today I am experiencing mild flank pain.

Comment from: t, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I have been having frequent urges to urinate and when I do I see blood in the toilet, and when I wipe, however I am seeing no sign of blood or discharge in my underwear, only when I urinate.

Comment from: paris27, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I have polycystic disease. I've been told I am at stage 5 with kidney failure. I am not on dialysis at the moment and I have blood in my urine now.

Comment from: Amir, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

I hadn't had any problem like this in my entire life and suddenly one morning I noticed my stool was abnormally reddish, so I got scared and started digging through the web for about an hour just to make me more frightened. Then I went to check my urine, to my surprise my urine was also red. You could imagine the state I was in. It was not until an hour later that I realized I had "beetroot" the night before. So I gave it a shot and looked for it online. I turned out to be right, eating beetroot does occasionally make your urine and stool turn red. Some more research on this matter (from other sources) revealed that eating Vicia faba may also cause this unexpected symptom. What a relief...

Comment from: TheMightyQuinn, 55-64 Male Published: September 28

09/26/09 approximately 1:15 PM, I stopped at a gas station to use the facilities. While urinating I noticed a couple of bloody "pieces" exit penis followed by blood-tinted urine. No pain there or elsewhere. My next trip to the restroom was about three hours later and everything was normal.

Published: September 25

I have had spotting and blood in my urine on and off for one week. I have had a dull pain in my lower left side next to my pubic area. I'm 52, and my period has always been every 28 days. This time it was barely there but still lasted for five days. I am being treated with Bactrim while waiting for test results.

Comment from: slmldy00@aol.com, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 17

My husband has had blood in his urine for about 20 years now. A long time ago, he had all the tests done, but they could not find the reason for the blood in his urine. He still has blood in his urine, but now he has new doctors and they would like to run more tests. He is 46 now.

Comment from: Kat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I am just getting over diverticulitis and noticed pink urine; no pain.

Comment from: DMAE, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

After a Pap test I have had blood in my urine for three days, it is reddish orange color.

Comment from: gangadhar, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 24

Yesterday morning I found blood mixed with my urine.

Comment from: Paul, Male (Patient) Published: February 12

Blood in urine started this morning with pain during urination, increased frequency and I noticed last drops of blood. Doesn't look too good here.

Comment from: Olivier, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 12

I don't know why my urine has blood. And my hips have got pain in the left side. I am concerned about my health.

Comment from: Brian, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

I am having blood in urine only in the morning, and the blood is at the end of urination, more brown than red.

Comment from: deepak, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 13

I have had two of three drops of blood in my first urination of the day and feeling bad in urinary tract.

Comment from: Boiler, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I just went to the bathroom and noticed blood in urine. I noticed penis opening had blood in it.

Comment from: mack, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I have noticed that after sex when I go to the bathroom I notice a red tint to my urine.

Comment from: Lynda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have occasional blood in my urine, usually lasting about 24 hours every few months and have no other symptoms.

Comment from: claudia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I have blood in my urine that is very visible on my first urination in the morning. I have a history of kidney stones. I just went to my urologist and there was only a trace of blood at that time.

Comment from: Sarah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I have blood tinged urine. This is the second time in four months I am negative for bladder infection.

Comment from: hugginduff, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I get lots of blood in my urine, like a tablespoonful several times over the last month. I don't have any pain or fever or any of the other symptoms that I have found.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

My urine is bright red with blood. I also have an urgency to urinate that is awful, but not painful.

Comment from: samkim, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: July 18

My Dad has blood in urine and is having trouble with clots causing blockage and some pain. He's on antibiotics but would like to know if there's something to help the blockage.

Comment from: Penny, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I'm 11 weeks pregnant and had blood in my urine yesterday. I went to the hospital and got blood work done and an ultrasound. The doctors said that it some times happens in your first weeks of being pregnant as everything came back normal. I hope this is correct.

Comment from: ray, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 25

I have experience blood In mu urine for about two weeks . As of yet i don't have any pain.

Comment from: Krishnendu, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 17

Me suffering with hemturia for last 4 years with no positive/ effective results, supposed for inguinal hernia or enlarged prostate glands. How can I be correctly diagnosed & medication?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I am two weeks post-op for a "simple" procedure -- a laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, D&C and ovarian drilling. I am now in more pain than I was before and no doctor will see me. I went to the walk in clinic and they found blood in my urine and no sign of infection. I'm not sure what to think.

Comment from: athenarulz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I am supposed to be donating my kidney next week. During my pre-admission testing, they found blood in my urine. Now I'm freaking out, because I don't want them to cancel or postpone the surgery and I have no clue why there's blood in my urine.

Published: May 09

If I don't drink water in a six-hour period, I get blood in my urine. When I drink lots of water, my urine gets transparent.

Comment from: stew5912, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 18

I've had blood in my urine for about a year, but there's no pain.

Comment from: k8+++, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

Every time I go to a doctor for a urine sample, I have a lot of blood in my urine. At least 20 times over the last 5 years I have had severe abdominal pain and nausea that the doctors say could be kidney stones. Seen urologist who reckons it's not kidney stones. Kind of confused…just waiting on a cystoscopy to find out what is wrong with me! Hopefully, I will find out soon.

Comment from: tuck, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 02

I take blood pressure medication and cholesterol medication as well as medication for rheumatoid arthritis. I took fish oil capsules and found blood in my urine. I ate dark chocolate and found blood in my urine. Now I took aspirin for 3 days and found blood in my urine for almost a week, and after some urine blooding it appears that a clog comes out.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

For the last 2 or 3 months I have been having sporadic episodes of blood in my urine. It is strange though because when it happens, it only happens once - then not again for a week or so! It is definitely not from any food that I am eating and I don't experience any pain. Normally my urine is very clear - very pale in color so when all of a sudden I get a red tinged one it is rather startling! I have spoken to my GP about it and he said to bring in a sample but so far I haven't managed to catch one with the color in it for him. I am not in any pain, I am obese and I do take paracetemal with codeine and diclofenic on prescription for arthritis.

Comment from: Sasha, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

Last month, about 10 days after I had my period, I realized a little bit of blood in my urine. Two days after, I also had some more amount of blood in my urine and I was worried that time. I went to the hospital any they tested my blood and urine but the results were fine. The doctors said it is just an infection and I had some tablets for 10 days. This month, I had my period normally and now I realized some blood again, 5 days after I finished with my period.

Comment from: Val, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I got up to use the bathroom. After urinating I had pain in my lower right side of my stomach. As the morning went by, it started to get much worse. Then, my kidney on my left side started to hurt. So, I went to the doctor and they told me that I had blood in my urine. I didn't see it because you can only see it under a microscope. I'm so glad I caught it before it got much worse!

Comment from: troublesome, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

After having sex, the following morning there was blood in my urine. I was afraid to see my doctor because I was thinking he may tell me my prostate cancer had come back after radiation treatment twelve years ago. My urine has cleared up by the third day. I'm afraid.

Comment from: Constance, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

Only today when I went to the toilet, I found traces of blood in the tissue roll and later after another 2 hours, I went to toilet again and this time I saw slight traces of fresh blood on the toilet paper and the 3rd time when I went to toilet again, there is none now.

Comment from: goldie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had a substantial amount of bright red blood in my urine in March, in August, and again in early October. There was no pain on urination, although I have been having pain in my lower left pelvis and across my lower left hip. It seems to be getting worse. I told my doctor in September, and he ordered blood tests and urine tests. I just had an ultrasound external and internal. I have not heard anything back yet and am very worried.

Comment from: lorraine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

For the past week, I have had pains in the lower left side of my back, radiating to the lower stomach. I have been to the doctor, who found blood in my urine. I am waiting for the results and I am on my second round of antibiotics. I thought I strained a muscle at first. Every time I moved, the pain was so much worse. I have a duplex kidney on the left.

Comment from: Eric, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 19

I had normal sex with my wife last night and then this morning there was a spot of blood on my sheets and dried blood on my penis. There was a sign of blood in my urine. My wife had no signs of bleeding. I have no pain this morning nor did I have last night.

Comment from: butterfly, 25-34 Female Published: October 13

I've had the urge to urinate frequently for as long as I can remember. When I got pregnant, I had pain in an area that I later found out is called a flank (above the pelvis, below the ribs). Nothing to it. Now, I had a terrible pain and I went for a regular check-up and they found blood in my urine. They still don't know what it is, but they found a urinary tract infection twice. I'm going in for another check-up. I hope everything goes well.

Comment from: dolphin, Female (Patient) Published: October 12

Excellent and thorough expalantion..very practical and helpful

Comment from: gotts1936, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 12

The first time I saw blood in my urine was two years ago. It was cola-colored and I counted five blood clots about 1/4" in diameter. Since then, I have seen blood and a couple of clots every 4 or 5 months. My PSA averages between 1.7 and 2.0 and I have no other symptoms except an urgency to urinate. I can sleep, at night, about five hours before I feel like urinating My urologist performed an ultrasound test and he could not see any problems with my bladder or kidneys, but he said my prostate was enlarged and was about 60 grams in size. He recommended a cystoscopy to get a better look, but after reading about the side effects and complications that can occur, I declined his offer. Also, he wanted to put me on Finasteride, I had some side effects and had to stop taking it. That is my story to date.

Comment from: Sports/Jock, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 12

I have a son who is 17yrs old and experiences the urge to urinate frequently. He has noticed lately that he has blood in his urine and it burns when he goes. He has not had sex. He can barely make it to the bathroom in time. He is a football player and has been drinking a lot of water and sports drinks i.e. Powerade and Gatorade, but he says it hurts so badly when he uses the bathroom. He has had a burning feeling about two days before, but when I started drinking a lot of fluids, the pain came back with blood.

Comment from: Chirpee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I recently had some intermittent pains in my lower right quadrant above the pubic area, but since I experience constipation on a rather frequent basis and I have fibromyalgia, I just over looked the twinges. I had felt tired off and on as well. Then a few days after those symptoms started I noticed blood in my urine it lasted for about 2 hours and then I could not see it anymore. It was 4 days before I could see my doctor. They took a urine sample and said that there was still microscopic blood. He started me on a 3-day course of antibiotics while I wait on the culture and other tests to be done on my urine. In the 4 days after noticing the blood I have had more pains in various areas my mid and lower back and around my umbilical area, but no severe pain as is supposed to accompany a kidney stone.

Comment from: peter boulton, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

I am a 43 year old man who just has a scan that showed a growth on my bladder and I have had blood in my urine for more than 12 months. I'm just waiting on blood tests and I am very worried. It's possible that it is something that could be fixed easily, or something that could be remedied with a little treatment over time. I'm worried, but I'm hopeful.

Comment from: tiasami21, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I am experience the urge to urinate frequently and I have noticed lately that I have blood in my urine and it burns when I go. I am worried that it may be an STD. I can barely make it to the bathroom in time. I have been drinking a lot of water and cranberry juice, but it hurts so bad when I use the bathroom. I have had a burning feeling about two days before, but when I started drinking a lot of fluids, the pain came back with blood.

Comment from: benlau, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 28

One of the symptoms is small blood clots during urination, but not all the time. I also have lower abdominal pain sometimes. I am a male. 64.

Comment from: cathy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

l have had an upset tummy for a week making me feel a bit nauseated, and now have blood in my urine and have heartburn on a regular basis. l am 65yrs old and had a kidney stone zapped about a year ago. l had breast cancer 8yrs ago. l am not on any medication.

Published: September 11

About every four months I have noticable amounts of blood in my urine but only for about two trips to the urinal. After that, everything is fine. No pain, no nothing. At my last doctor's visit, my urine and PSA both were fine.

Published: July 07

I am 28 years old and have been drinking heavily for approx. 12 years. I wet the bed fairly often involuntarily after having drank heavily, and the other morning I woke to discover noticeable blood in my urine. What could cause this? I have no money, no job, and can't afford to have it checked out right now. Could it be effects of drinking for years, like a kidney or liver problem? Other than my drinking problem, I consider myself healthy, with very rare illness.

Published: July 01

Blood showed up in my urine suddenly this Saturday morning. There were no warnings and no symptoms. It has been there continually throughout the day, whenever I urinate. I'm on Coumadin, and I think I've been prescribed an excessive amount. I plan to have a ProTime test Monday and then talk to my cardiologist. The next step would be a visit to a urologist, but I have a strong hunch that blood thinning is the cause.

Published: June 25

I regularly have blood in my urine, although it is not seen with the naked eye. It is diagnosed when I have a physical, admitted to hospital for other things, etc. I have been to a urologist a few years ago, and they said nothing was wrong at that time, but it continues.

Published: June 25

I have a complete duplex system on one side of my kidneys. For the past 14 months I have had constant blood in my urine, sometimes it's visible to the naked eye and other times it is only visible microscopically. No infection is found.

Published: June 19

My son is only eight; he has had a significant amount of blood and protein in his urine for over five weeks. He has been through two ultrasounds, a CT scan, and lots of blood work. He has moderate lower abdominal pain that comes and goes and he has been complaining of vision problems. He has seen four doctors and is scheduled for two more. Still no diagnosis.

Published: June 18

I am a 51 year old male, after working outside all day, when I get home and go to bathroom my urine has a bright red tint to it.

Published: June 17

I have had burning and pain on urination for a week. Treated with ABX and Pyridium the symptoms persisted. Yesterday, I put a warm wash cloth on the area of relief and bright red blood was on the cloth.

Published: June 17

I had a very big discharge of blood and brown mush. In afternoon I felt shivery/funny/dizzy. At 18.00 I noticed slight burning when urinating, but the urine was clear and pale as normal. Pain got worse but at 23.30 bed time urine was still clear and normal. In bed I felt very uncomfortable between my legs and made several trips to bathroom to see if I needed to pass a stool but didn't. At 23.50 I urinated bright pink with blood clots. At 23.55 I urinated bright pink with a lot of brown mushy bits and blood clots. While waiting for ambulance and in A&E I urinated about 15 times with the same pink urine, diminishing amount of brown mush and blood clots. Doctor examined me and diagnoses urine infection and gave me Trimethoprim. Bye 06.00 urine was clear and faint brown. By 09.00 it was clear and pale yellow. At 10.00 it was back to normal clear. The whole episode took just about 15/16 hours but the quantity of blood and brown mush was terrifying.

Published: June 13

What might cause a female to have no bladder control since cystoscopy performed over 7 months ago? No causes for hematuria found during procedure. No prior incontinence problems.

Published: June 13

At the end of April I was hospitalized for 4 days diagnosed with pancreatitis, with no cause being determined after 7 weeks. Two weeks before my attack, I noticed that my urine was a different color more golden or brighter yellow, this still is occurring. And I have noticed that bubbles and particles seem to be noticeable. I had on urinalysis done when I entered the emergency room which showed color being cloudy, trace of Leuk Esterase, few bacteria and epithelial cell result 5-10 squamous ( I don't know what this means)Last week I asked the Doctor for another urinalysis and a sensitivity and culture, I do not know the results yet. I am wondering if kidney stones are a possibility, could this have caused the pancreatitis if a stone or stones are logged or still passing.

Published: June 09

I am a 27 year old man. I have had burning sensation while urinating since few months. I woke up one morning and went to the toilet for urinating. I had some more burning this time but at the end blood came out. I am quite shocked and scared to find the results.

Published: June 06

I'm a 17 year old female. I've had a strange pressure and pain in that area for the last two days and have had small visible amounts of blood with my urine. I had nausea and vomiting a week ago and have been extremely cold and unable to stay warm. I also feel like I want to go to the bathroom all the time even though I have been avoiding fluids and most foods.

Published: June 06

I have blood in the urine for two months both urine samples were sent for analysis but showed no infection but as a family we have all been suffering with viral infections.

Published: June 05

I just discovered a very light blood tinge on the tissue upon wiping, after urination, not very much. I am not experiencing any other symptoms.

Published: June 03

I am a 39 year-old male and last July I had several episodes in which I had noticeable traces of blood in my urine. A couple times I urinated only blood. I had tests run to see what the problem was, and they were never able to find anything wrong with me. Now, it has been 11 months since I last urinated blood and it happened again, twice in the past week. I also feel irritation when urinating. I am going to have tests ran with a different doctor and will enter another comment once I get the results.

Published: May 28

I have been having bladder problems with frequent urination and was checked out a year ago for prostate health. Just now, I actually noticed a red tint to my urine after experiencing what seemed to be a surge or pressure in my urethra. I have been experiencing high temperatures outside during the early morning with high humidity but have been balancing out my fluids by drinking a lot of bottled water as I make deliveries.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter