Patient Comments: Blood in the Stool - Diseases Causes

Which one of these were the cause of your case of rectal bleeding, and please describe your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: DElliott, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

When I started having rectal bleeding, it was bright red and it looked like I was on my period. I actually thought I had started my period and put a pad on. Then I went to wipe and it wasn't my period. I went to the emergency room (ER) and was told it was just hemorrhoids, to eat more fiber and to not strain with a bowel movement. It seemed to go away a couple of days later. Then about a year later, the bleeding started again. This time I went to my regular doctor and asked for a referral to a gastroenterologist. After my exam, the doctor decided to schedule me for a colonoscopy. It turned out I had a polyp. He cauterized it and I was good to go. Now it is 4.5 years later and I am having the same bleeding (bright red) as before. The only difference is that I am also passing thin clots as well. Now with this time as well as before, I would bleed without a bowel movement. I would bleed with one as well, but the majority is just when I am urinating. Also, I am only 33 years old.

Comment from: Naveed, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 02

Bright red blood came after the bowel movement. I had no pain. It happened first time yesterday and today. I have no history.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter