Patient Comments: Blood in the Stool - Experience

Please describe your experience with blood in the stool. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Caroline, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

For a few months now every time I pass stool there is fresh blood covering it. It's painless. I don't feel any pain or discomfort before or after visiting the bathroom. I haven't seen a doctor or talked to anyone about it.

Comment from: Ntebo, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I've been having blood in my stool for over a year now. It often comes twice or three times in a month almost every month. And there is a bit of pain whenever I pass stool. And then in 2 or 3 days the pain disappears and there's no blood anymore. It's actually a lot of blood and it's scary, I need to know what the cause may be.

Comment from: Lillian, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I had blood in my stool and I was told not to eat food which brings constipation, which I did for a year but recently I had it again. I thought it was over.

Comment from: bri, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

This is from my personal experience, no actual scientific proof. I was eating a frozen fruit, triple-berry mix every day, thawed, with cereal, including blackberries. I started having rectal bleeding, sometimes painful going to bathroom. I read everything I could on the web; frightening. One day I realized when I'm chewing that some of the fruits had a very hard, sharp texture. I narrowed it down to the blackberries. I thought, 'if they feel sharp in my mouth, perhaps they could also cut soft tissue in my bowels or rectum.' I stopped eating blackberries. Soon the bleeding decreased. I wonder if it took a little time to heal. Fairly soon the bleeding stopped and has not returned. Someone should experiment with this, and leave feedback if you are experiencing the same and eating blackberries. I could be wrong, but that's my experience.

Comment from: woo wee chum, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I have been taking narcotic pain reliever (morphine) for the past 8 years for severe back pain; just had fusion surgery in October. Constipation is a constant side effect and even with stool softeners I need to strain most of the time. I am noticing moderate blotches of bright red blood on paper and stool. Apparently, according to the information available, it's what's at the root of the bleeding. Good luck.

Comment from: Sick of stomach pain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

After several bouts of diarrhea I have blood when wipe, and if I continue to go there is blood in stool.

Comment from: Romeo62, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 08

I pass stool with blood, with pains over my buttocks.

Comment from: louvin, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I had a hemorrhoidectomy done in February this year. I still struggle with constipation and it feels like the symptoms are all back again. I do notice blood on the tissue paper after stools but not as much recently. There were absolutely no sign of stools but just bright to dark color blood and looks like lumps of blood as well. I even noticed some blood on my underpants when I woke up this morning.

Comment from: joyce, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have hyperthyroidism yet I haven't consulted my doctor for 10 months already, and now I am suffering from constipation. Yesterday I had checked my stool and had fresh blood. I know this is not from my menstrual cycle because it is finished.

Comment from: onqwest, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have bright red blood in stool. No pain but substantial amount only with bowel movement, infrequent, once in two consecutive days. I had constipation issues for three consecutive days the week prior to bleeding event. Same occurrence three months ago.

Comment from: ms. spratt, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I have bright red blood in stool, moderate amount, when having liquid stools. I have had bouts of abdominal cramping and gas with liquid stools since I had my gall bladder removed.

Comment from: chica, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have been undiagnosed for nearly 4 years. My symptoms started with pain in lower left pelvic area, indigestion, heartburn, fever, pencil thin stools, loss of weight, hair falling out, brain fog, I was unable to have sex, and feeling very ill. I then went through years of diarrhea. Now I've still got pain in same place and indigestion after meals or even on empty stomach, and swollen stomach with weight gain. Bowel movement is getting better but this morning there was bright red blood in bowel movement.

Comment from: Darren, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

I had a fissure that had me contemplating suicide (kidding, not really). It was medication related (constipation and giant stool and straining) and it was killing me for six months; like razor blades every time. I eventually got over that. This was years ago. I do have hemorrhoids (some in, some out, not crazy though). I have filled the bowl with darkish blood every so often for years. I do drink a few vodka each night and in the last month have started having pain in the anus like somebody is holding a cutting torch back there. Not while I have bowel movement but before or after and it's debilitating. I sometimes get this pain without even going to the toilet. But it's not every time. I don't think it's a fissure this time but it is near as painful. My worry is colon cancer. I have been checked before and was fine. Just looking for a possible reason. I work hard every day and hate to give up my few drinks a night.

Comment from: baba, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 03

I have had bleeding in stool twice after I took a tablet called 'lecithine de soja', and then stopped. I am not sure if this is because of this tablet. I did not have any sign of weakness or fever or any signs of any type. I stopped taking this tablet and have no problem.

Comment from: not reffered, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I've been experiencing a moderate amount of blood flow in stool since last month, it usually occurs when I've taken some chilly foods or some hard drinks. I just don't know what to do, during the blood flow my stomach hurts a lot.

Comment from: steve, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I've had ulcerative colitis for 7 years and have had different medicines, treatments over the years and l find none of them help as l bleed frequently. I'm on a pretty good diet of steamed vegetables and cooked fruit which does help.

Comment from: Dandi, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 10

I have blood when I wipe, it is bright red and it hurts a little bit. I have generalized anxiety so I'm scared to go to the doctors, I haven't even told my parents that there is blood in my stool.

Comment from: red dog, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

Usually after a weekend of heavy beer drinking, I have blood in stool that lasts a couple days, then nothing for a while. It is very bright red in color, no pain involved. It is always liquid stool, I never have solid stool.

Comment from: Rogers, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I am having trouble with blood pressure being low, balance coordination off, dizziness, and blood in stool.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 31

I am suffering with continuous blood in stool, although I have seen a physician who took my blood sample and discovered that the blood is positively ok. He later placed me under some drugs, with which the more I consume the drugs the more the blood flow increases.

Comment from: lopie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I've been having terrible pain inside my but by my tailbone for years which is sometimes unbearable and have no clue what it is. I also have blood in my stools and just lately there is much more blood. I'm 31 years old and already had a colonoscopy and X-rays a few years ago which turned up nothing. My doctor thought it may be internal hemorrhoids or tears but there's no visible evidence of either.

Comment from: concerned, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I was in hospitalized in May and was told I have diverticulitis. After being dismissed, I developed severe dehydration and had to be re-hospitalized. Occasionally I have red blood in my stools and when I wipe myself. I still have some abdominal pain as well as diarrhea occasionally. The doctor did a colonoscopy and told me to add more fiber to my diet. Should I be concerned about the blood in my stool, diarrhea, and abdominal pain?

Comment from: walt, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

I was told I have an internal hemorrhoid four years ago. It was never really an issue, but it has gotten bad since being on Effient and aspirin after a heart attack in November 2012. It has been bad the past several weeks, with bleeding and large jell-like clunks. What are these jell-like bloody clunks?

Comment from: Hawkins, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I used the bathroom and my stools were watery and red. I saw blood.

Comment from: james, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

I had a bowel movement this morning and blood was on my stool.

Comment from: Barbara, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

My anus has been sore for about month, it gets better with resting. I really think it is a fissure in there, I have ripped my anus a bit with a few difficult bowel movements.

Comment from: carmie410, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I have ulcerative colitis and have blood in the stool.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter