Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with blood clots. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Geordon, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I have blood clots in my leg, I also had an ingrowing toe nail cut out. Now, after more than three weeks the cut has not healed and I am in constant pain. It is either throbbing or stabbing pain, which is worse when I try to lie down. I am taking paracetamol or ibuprofen neither of which seems to have any effect. I have also tried ice pack.

Comment from: Abr91117, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I had a 10 hour surgery to remove a large brain tumor. A month later I woke up with my left really swollen, purple and tight. I went to the emergency room (ER) and they said I had a blood clot from my knee all the way to my groin. It was big! They inserted an IVC (inferior vena cava) filter in case the blood clot broke up which was highly likely. Two weeks later I experienced this really, really sharp pain in my back. It was so sharp that I couldn't breathe. I went back to the ER and I had a pulmonary embolism in each lung. The blood clot in my leg had already broken off before the filter was inserted. After several blood tests and scans, I was diagnosed with May-Thurner syndrome and I have factor V Leiden thrombophilia which is an inherited disorder of blood clotting. I have to remain on Coumadin the rest of my life. Good news! That was a year ago and today all my clots are healed.

Comment from: burth, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

I went for an operation on my right groin because they said my vein was blocked. The cause of was blood clot so they put me on warfarin tablets. After operation I get cramps in both my legs at the calves and toes while taking my warfarin tablets. I left taking the tablets for two months and I still get the same pain and cramps so I wonder if I have blood clots.

Comment from: Corina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I had pain in my left leg and some numbness in my left toes for about a week. I went to the doctor who told me I had a pulled hamstring, a sprained ankle and tendonitis in my knee. She sent me for an x-ray of my ankle and referred me to an orthopedic doctor. I went to see the orthopedic doctor who referred me back to my primary care (PC) doctor because he said he thought I had a blood clot and that my problem was not orthopedic. I called the PC back and went in. I was seen by the nurse practitioner who prescribed a muscle relaxer and said I had a pulled muscle. Two days later the pain was so bad I went to the emergency room where I was told I had a blood clot. I was admitted immediately and had an angiogram the following morning. They did a bypass behind my knee because I had a blood clot that was 10 cm. Within 8 hours I was back in surgery with another blood clot in my left leg, within 1 hour after that I had another and then another. I was allergic to the heparin that was being given in my IV. I have been on 2 blood thinners (warfarin and Plavix) since then. I have limited use of my left leg and limited range of motion in my left ankle. My leg feels like it is dead from my toes to my groin, and I still have an open wound on my calf. I also have nerve damage in my left leg which was probably caused by multiple surgeries in the same place. I am in constant pain all day long and still have lots of swelling which starts within 20 minutes of getting out of bed. I still have no answers if this will get any better. I was told by the vascular surgeon that he has never had a case with someone who was allergic to heparin so he is not sure. Thanks for the lack of information, I really appreciate it. Now I am told that my blood flow just above my groin is too fast and I still don't know why but they want to do another surgery. I said no surgery till all questions are answered and my left leg has healed from the first 4 surgeries which were done almost 6 months ago. No answers as of yet.

Comment from: KATE, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

For the past few months, I have been prone to sweating to the point where I am soaked in sweat. Right now I have severe pain in both legs, and one leg where it is swollen and told I had a blood clot, but not to worry about it. My feet were swollen but doctor said to take water pills and keep my feet up; and they are no longer swollen but my legs still hurt to the point where walking is very, very painful.

Comment from: cuchjoe, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 12

On the second night after starting on alprazolam I woke up with a small blood clot on tongue.

Comment from: troubles, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

On December 21, I woke up and had bad chest pain. A week prior to this happening, I was so tired, more than usual and I thought then something was not right. But I went on, and at 2:30 am on December 22 I woke up my other half and said I think I am having a heart attack. He asked me if I wanted to go to the emergency room (ER). I said no, and lay back down and went to sleep. I got up in the morning of 12/22/14 and in my left hand, two of my fingers were blue. So I went to my doctors and she sent me to the ER. I got a CAT scan done and blood work. Then I hear that a helicopter is landing. Well, it was for me, I had a blood clot, a big one in my heart and my left arm was not getting any blood. So, I got transferred to a different hospital 45 minutes away from home. I was in ICU and was to have open heart surgery on 12/24/14. Doctor told my other half that I might not get to keep my arm. I woke up on Christmas Eve and I was still there. No surgery. I had big blood clot in heart and hundreds in left arm all the way into my fingers. I was in there one week. I am out and doing better now. I have been having problems breathing in deep, and my heart hurts now. I go to the heart doctor tomorrow. I am hoping there will be no surgery. But the blood clot could have done some damage to my heart. So I hope all is going to be ok, I am so ready to put this behind me.

Comment from: BAMaustin, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 10

My symptoms began about 5 minutes into lawn work with a push mower. I was far more exhausted than I would expect to be after finishing an hour's worth of pushing. Out of breath, sweaty, legs growing heavier with each step, and achy in the lower body, I was unable to finish the 10 minutes needed for one side of the small front lawn section. I sat to re-hydrate and recover but pain became agonizing in my lower back. Panting, I lay down thinking I must have twisted my back. But the pain quickly escalated to an indescribable level. After a few minutes, I phoned a friend to help me to the emergency room (ER). Lying prone wasn't helping so I struggled to a chair on my front porch to wait. The pain eased somewhat but I realized that I wouldn't be able to get myself all the way to a car and called 911. When paramedics arrived a few minutes later, my legs immediately collapsed when asked to try to rise to the gurney. The only measureable symptom the ER staff found was a fainter pulse in the right foot than the left. They were resistant to sitting aggravating the pain less than lying inclined or prone. They insisted the leg weakness and pain were exaggerated until an MRI revealed large arterial blood clots (one in either leg and another in the lower back) several hours later. The clots were removed surgically the following day through either femoral artery. There is a significant amount of nerve damage from the reduced blood flow but I recovered the ability to walk with physical therapy and walking aids. I graduated from wheelchair, to walker, to cane, to needing only occasional assistance over about 24 months. Three years on, the neuropathy in both feet and L4/L5 areas persist but seem to be gradually improving. I am hopeful that the last areas of dysfunction will eventually recover.

Comment from: oldswordfighter, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

Several health issues limit my activity which was the probable actual cause for my blood clots. A backflip into a post when a deck failed made me assume that the pain in my legs and feet swelling was just another back injury. But after six weeks I was watching TV when a huge pain in my chest took over. I called a neighbor who called 911. Four surgical procedures later I was released and recovered much faster than the doctors expected. Obviously it nearly killed me.

Comment from: Eddie B, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 01

I had been tired for several weeks thinking it was connected to my sleep apnea which I had been struggling with. Post knee replacement in February 2014, I worked hard at recovery. In May I continued to struggle with insomnia and my CPAP machine, but on July 25 my chest was tight and it was an effort to breathe. At the emergency room (ER) I was given EKG, blood work-up, chest x-ray and a CT. A pulmonary embolism in each lung was found. I was started on Lovenox that day and spent the night, being released the next day with a 60 day supply of Lovenox. My doctor feels the blood clot is not related to knee surgery due to the length of time since surgery. He feels that a clot can be caused by a cancer and will coordinate tests to rule this out. I have many questions yet unanswered. My feeling is it could be related to my inactivity from knee problems and sleep issues.

Comment from: rod, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 31

I was watching a ball game on TV in my shorts, when I noticed my left calf and ankle was a bit larger than my right. There was no pain at all, and I looked at it again to be certain. I called my friend who is a primary care provider. He told me it could be a blood clot and said to go to urgent care. After ultra sound it was. After 4 months I take medicines and continue to be treated. I never had pain and lucky to be observant or I might have died if my clot would have spread.

Comment from: Echodelta, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 25

About two years ago I had a total knee transplant; everything went fine for about two months and then I contracted a urinary tract infection and spent five days in the hospital. About two weeks after release I had a pulmonary embolism (PE). My concern is that I am going to need the other knee replaced and I am more likely to have another PE.

Comment from: twinzmommi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I played softball all weekend, at the age of 38. My neck was bothering me and I thought I had pulled a muscle. My neck started getting huge and I could not touch it or sleep, I was in horrible pain. My doctor said I had strep throat. Yeah, right. My daughter's ENT saw the huge knot in my neck at her appointment days later and asked what was wrong. I told him what my doctor said, he didn't agree and did a CT. I had a blood clot so big in my jugular vein it stretched from my jaw bone to my clavicle. I had 2 year old twins at the time and was rushed to the hospital. I was on warfarin for months and then taken off. My right arm was turning blue/purple and getting very cold. The hematologist said I had Raynaud's syndrome. It turned out I had over 9 clots throughout my entire right side. I ended up having thoracic outlet, Paget-Schroetter disease. I am on blood thinners for the rest of my life, I continue to get blood clots even with the medication. Someday I don't know if I will wake up.

Comment from: lyn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I woke up with a leg cramp at 2 am in the morning, it sort of went away but I had a constant tightness in the calf and it was still sore for about 8 days after. I went for a 4 hour drive to my dad's then another half hour to my girlfriends place, stayed the night there, woke up in the morning to find I could not walk, could not put pressure on my foot, could not move my leg or foot without being in extreme pain, instead of it being a 10 it was like a 14, unbelievable. It settled after a couple of hours and I was able to walk on it again but only just with support. I drove back home and found when I could not get out of the car and walk I needed to go to the hospital. My leg was cold, it was swollen, and very painful. Nothing like they say being hot. Anyway I was diagnosed with a 10 cm deep vein thrombosis in my calf. Lucky they say to be still here and since then I've been having five needles daily to stop any other blood clot forming, and this one going into my lungs, now on warfarin for about 9 months. I have support stocking on my leg from tip of toe to up over my thigh. I cannot work on it as yet, it feels like my leg is dying from my toe up, it is such a sickening feeling and not sure what to do about it.

Comment from: Jack, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I felt pain in my calf for two weeks before it got so severe that I couldn't stand it. I went to the doctor's office as a walk-in on Saturday in mid-December. Doctor on call said to go home but check in to the emergency room (ER) if it got worse. I had vein Doppler test done Monday at noon. Blood clot was confirmed and I started thinners that evening. I saw hematologist later that week who approved of treatment started by primary physician and doctor on call. I was put on bed rest from that Monday until after the holidays. Follow up confirmed treatment was working and he asked me to return in 4 months for continuing next phase of treatment.

Comment from: weird shoulder pain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I started to have problems lying down flat on my back. I have had a very bad back for most of my adult life. The pain I was having in my shoulder was very different. I went to my regular doctor and he said it was a pulled muscle. I tried to tell my doctor that I have pulled muscles before and this was different. It only hurt when I laid down flat on my back. He just shrugged and said he wanted me to give it some time to go away on its own. It didn"t, the pain got so bad I could not lay down in bed to sleep any more. I did research online and I found some articles that suggested I see a vascular surgeon. I made an appointment with one for as soon as I could. Three days before my appointment two of my fingers turned blue on the arm I had been having shoulder pain. It only lasted a few minutes but still I ran into my doctor. He blamed it on a vascular problem I had had for years called Raynaud's syndrome. I tried to explain that it was not the same. He brushed off my concerns. Three days later I was so happy to go to my appointment with the vascular surgeon. On the way there my two fingers turned blue again and they stayed that way longer. I got in to see him pretty fast. He was only in the exam room for 3 minutes tops, when he told me he was admitting me right away for emergency surgery to save my left hand. He said I had a blood clot in my shoulder and it was cutting off the supply of blood to my hand.

Comment from: Heath166, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I am 47. I had a very sore right calf. It was very tight. I went to the doctor and she thought I might have a blood clot. I went to the local hospital who performed an ultrasound and found a blood clot. I have been on Xarelto for nearly 3 months now. I am having a follow up ultrasound this week. I am hoping the blood clot has gone.

Comment from: melanie21, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

During surgery for a cardio ablation in February 2014, it was discovered that I have an old blood clot in my left pelvis. This was likely caused during a month of bed-rest while I was pregnant back in June 2012. I have been told to be on a daily aspirin regiment of 325 mg. The doctor said that there is nothing else that they can or need to do. He said that the clot is old and hasn"t moved yet, so it won"t move. I wonder if there is risk for a pulmonary embolism. I haven"t found any sources that discuss old clots and how they should be treated.

Comment from: mlc1123, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I had a second rotator cuff full-thickness tear repair in Feb 2014, having had the first shoulder done in January 2012. Nine days later I awakened to extreme shortness of breath and chest pain. Blood tests, EKG, chest x-ray and finally CT scan diagnosed multiple pulmonary emboli in both lungs. I was hospitalized for 5 days with heparin drip and released on 15 mg Xarelto twice daily for 21 days, then 20 mg daily for one year. So far I am doing okay, but have been advised against air travel and any further surgery without pre-medication. I cannot understand what it is about limited activity after surgery that makes for a higher risk factor than other limited activity. What about people permanently impaired, in bed or wheelchairs, are they at risk also? And why is your risk factor higher for the rest of your life? Also curious about why this didn"t happen with the same surgery two years ago. My secondary diagnosis is pulmonary hypertension, but that will be investigated further after I am fully recovered from the clots.

Comment from: Steve, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I was 54 and returning from a two day road trip. A few days later I began to deal with pain in left leg and hip. I had a weird rash from head to toe and was soon hospitalized with a massive clot from my left knee to my kidney. I underwent two operations with three permanent stents. I was diagnosed with May-Thurner syndrome and am on Coumadin and several other medications for life. This was this past August. Life has really changed it seems every day brings new disappointment and bad news! Just trying to keep up now.

Comment from: Astounded, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I was feeling worn down and headed to bed early. I woke up the next morning with pain in my right lower back. Having been super busy the day before I just thought I had tweaked my back a bit. I tried yoga stretches, a hot bath and finally had my husband try to crack my back. I was so in pain. Breathing became more difficult as they day went along. Then I vomited and decided it was time to head to the emergency room. I was diagnosed with a possible pulmonary embolism. Diagnosis could not be done the typical way as I am a living donor and with only one kidney the dye would have been very detrimental. I had to wait until the correct personnel came in to check the old way with imaging. I could barely breathe deep enough to suck in the radioactive mixture before the testing, all the while the technician is telling me how bad it would be if I lost control and contaminated the room. What a painful test when you are gasping for breath. Four days in ICU with many tests only to not find what caused it. I had several teeth pulled ten days before the attack but no one believes you can get blood clots that way. Never having had issues in the past with injuries or long and frequent flights I do believe there was some connection. I ended with 2 mg Warfarin for six months and worry for the rest of one`s life.

Comment from: John N, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

In early August, I had a pain in my lower left chest. It got very severe and I went to the hospital. It was found that pulmonary embolism was the issue. They inserted a Vena filter in my groin and sent me home after 4 days in hospital. Three days later all of a sudden I could not stand and I had severe pain in both legs. I was back at the hospital for more treatment. I am also an IPT (Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura) patient (low platelets) and they had to treat me with drugs to get the platelet count up and put me on blood thinners. After 2 weeks in the hospital and 2 weeks in rehabilitation hospital I am now now home. I am 8 weeks into this and can only walk 150 feet before my legs give out. They tell me blood thinners and exercise are the path to building alternate blood flow. I suspect the Vena filter is clogged with clots and restricting blood flow.

Comment from: Voictoria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I recently had a colonoscopy and the nurse put my IV in and then had the procedure. All went well; until about two weeks later a large vein popped up on my forearm and wrist. It was sore, slightly swollen and warm to the touch. I knew I had not bumped my arm or anything. I watched it for several days and it got worse and more painful. I decided to go and have it checked out pronto. The hospital did a sonogram and confirmed that it was a blood clot. However it was not a DVT it was in a vein not an artery. I am still not sure exactly what caused it. I'm fairly sure it was from the IV. However it really scared me because right after I gave birth to my daughter in 1964 I developed a huge DVT in the left side of my groin. I was "to say the least" very close to death. I was not able to walk, stand or take care of my baby at all. I spent 6 weeks in the hospital flat on my back under a warming tent and taking blood thinners hoping to save my life. The doctor told me he was not sure they would be able to dissolve the clot before it broke loose and went somewhere it shouldn't go. I am still here and now I am much more careful about not injuring myself and I don't ignore my body when it is trying to tell me something is wrong.

Comment from: Besearch, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I went to bed healthy but when I stood up the next a.m. I nearly passed out. I felt weak and then nauseous. I threw up and the nausea left but I developed a terrible pain in my right lung. I could not take a deep breath. I thought my back was out. I took ibuprofen and Tylenol every 2 hours. I could not lie down because of the pressure and pain. Developed a temperature. Went to the emergency room. Was hospitalized for pneumonia for 4 days. Got worse. They did a CT scan and found a pulmonary embolism in the right lung. I had Lovenox injections until the warfarin kicked in. I will take warfarin for 6 months. I have more tests for blood clotting problems and if positive, I will take it the rest of my life.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: October 06

It started with just a strain in my neck which proceeded to a horrible pain in my right neck to the point of immobilization. Then I had difficulty in breathing that proceeded in me not being able to breath at all. After finally seeing the Dr. and receiving a CT scan, the results showed 3 blood clots in my right lung. I'm a rare case in that I was very gaseous - still to this day. No reason has been given to this - though it only began when the blood clots had formed. I'm still not cured and am still taking Coumadin. It was a horrible experience that I NEVER want to go through again. I spent a week, my Birthday, in the Hospital.

Comment from: Cat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 5 years ago. I blame my 60 pound weight gain on the medication and the exhaustion that looking back now caused me to stay in bed. The top cause for blood clots is weight, but still I never thought it could happen to me. I have been trying to keep moving, even water exercises almost daily. One day I went to a doctor's appointment and decided I would walk in the mall. I noticed after a short time that I was sweating so severely, my hair was soaking wet and the sweat was pouring. I tried to ignore the throbbing chest pain as I was told it has been proven that a person can suffer from chest muscle wall pain of Fibromyalgia. The more I attempted to walk, I just knew something was going on. I made it home and the symptoms didn't go away~~In fact, I started having stomach cramps followed by diarrhea. A little voice inside me told me I should go to the hospital. My EKG was normal and the nurse talked like I would be going home. Thank God one of the ER doctors decided to do a lung CAT scan. The nurse came in and said "you are not going anywhere". I spent 4 days in ICU because they found an embolism in both lungs. I was put on Coumadin and oxygen 24/7. (I use a C-Pap machine for sleep apnea). It has been 7 days and the home health nurses keep telling me that my PT shows my blood two thin. I have learned a lot from reading all of the comments. I thank all of you who took the time to help us "newcomers" understand. Obviously I am on a strict diet and I am committed to losing the weight. I have discontinued the Lyrica for Fibromyalgia and Amitriptyline for anxiety.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 06

My husband,42, went to the er for a small toe infection (we think a spider bit him) and it turned out to be serious because of his uncontrolled diabetes. He had to have surgery on the toe to remove the infection and was in the hospital for 6 days because of diabetes complications. He was put on insulin for the first time. (I wish we went on insulin sooner) Anyhow, while he was in the hospital, he didn't get up to walk at all. He was just laying in the hospital bed with his foot up. When he went home, he kept his foot up also. I think this is why he got the blood clot. A few days later the nurse came to change his bandages and noticed one foot was colder than the other and she said it might be a blood clot. (also he was using crutches and had to keep his left leg bent in order to get around.) We went to the er and sure enough they admitted him and said he had a blood clot on his lower leg. They kept him in the hospital for about 3 days this time. The hospital was wonderful and this time he will definitely watch his diet. He went home and is now on insulin, Lovenox shots 2x daily and also Warfarin 1 1/2 a day. His INR keeps changing slightly because he ran out of Lovenox shots at one point. At one point he was off Lovenox but just recently had to take them again. Anyhow, we have a great doctors office that is monitoring it so I hope all goes well. Also he was drinking lots of Green Tea which I think is High in Vitamin K. So I think I missed this when I was reading the things not to eat. I read everything but didn't catch the Green tea till my nurse sent me another book. so no green tea if you're on warfarin. Thanks MedicineNet.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

Hi I have had heart attacks strokes from blood clots. The doctors couldn't figure out why i was having heart attacks at my age my arteries were clear. They did a test and found I had Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome (APS). This syndrome causes your blood to clot in woman it causes mischarges. I was put on warfarin and have to stay on it for the rest of my life. I recently was bleeding out in to my lungs and the cavity around the heart they took me of blood thinners and i threw a clot destroying left arm making it useless. I have had a nightmare and continued one as im sure all of u have. If you feel something is wrong and if u think your doctor isn't listening then see another this has saved my life and my family and friends.

Comment from: Befield, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 01

My first symptom of blood clot was a slight shortness of breath which did not last long. In the next two days, I observed a swelling in my right leg. I went to the doctor, took imaging tests on the spot, and was sent directly to the emergency hospital.

Comment from: DreamskapeCR, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

First let me say that I live in Costa Rica now, so the treatment I received may not be what is normally prescribed in the states. My problem began when I slipped on our tile floor and almost did the splits. The next morning I woke up and the back of my lower calf was extremely sore. The following day the pain was even worse but now there was a hard lump under the skin and my feet were swollen. I went to the doctor and he felt my leg up and down and said I injured a muscle but he feared there may also be a blood clot so he wanted to do a blood enzyme test. The results of the test showed it was borderline so to be safe he started me on 3 medications for the next month, Xarelto and Vedipal 2 times per day and Arcoxia 1 time per day. It's only been two days since starting the medicines so too soon to know if the treatment is working.

Comment from: alecia60, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I found out on 1/16/15 in the emergency room that I have blood clots in my right leg. I was admitted for less than 24 hours and sent home. I was given medication and was given appointment 9 days later. I was told that I will have problems with blood clots the rest of my life. I'm 60 years old now, I wonder it there should have been something else done.

Comment from: cwb, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 06

I had recent knee replacement on the 15th. Two days later my oxygen levels went down and a nurse noticed this while checking me. I had a scan and found I had a pulmonary embolism. I was in the ICU for four days and then at rehabilitation for two weeks. I had shots in the stomach for 10 days and will be on Coumadin for up to six months. I think there was a mix up in the surgery and no one wants to talk about that.

Comment from: Penni, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I get random blood clots on my leg, without any injury. It doesn't hurt but I'm just worried because it's big and lasts for weeks.

Comment from: ziba, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I had a surgery 5 days ago for removing uterus. After 3 to 4 days I found some blood clots in several places on my right leg. I could not walk well. I have had an MRI test. I am still under treatment.

Comment from: susie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have 3 blot clots that is not very deep, only in the veins. I took Disprin water and tried everything, was in bed for 3 days. The pain is gone but the burning feeling is still there, the clots are not thinner. The doctor said I must walk it will help. I did that and the pain is back so bad that I ended up in bed. I don't know what the right thing to do is, walk or rest.

Comment from: MICHAEL, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

When I came home to my fiancé we had sex a few times but had no problems. On the fifth day during intercourse blood profusely came out of my penis along with large blood clots. There was no pain involved and it stopped after I lost my erection. A day later I was getting an erection and the bleeding started again, I am going to seek medical attention.

Comment from: ducksoup, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I was able to walk up to five miles and no problem. But then I noticed I could not breathe very well after any activity. I slept a lot. I also had knee surgery after falling 15 feet. I urged my husband to take me to hospital in the morning after I could not breathe very well. The doctors said I had anxiety. Ativan didn't help. An X-ray revealed pulmonary embolisms in both lungs. I was hospitalized and put on other medications. These caused seizures. I was released to a Coumadin clinic. I'm now on 81 mg of aspirin per day. I worry every day that I'll have another PE. Any support would help me.

Comment from: shartmac, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was diagnosed with a blood clot earlier this year in late March, right before my 37th birthday. I went to a walk in clinic with a swollen right arm, and once the physician on duty saw the sight of my arm she sent me to the ER immediately. The next couple of days involved sitting in the ER, waiting for test after test to be done, having my blood drawn, etc... Now, six months later, the clot is gone but the oncologist who treated me at the hospital seems to think that I need to stay on the warfarin I've been taking up until now and refer me to another specialist. I am so frustrated. If it's gone, then why do I need to stay on this path? There was no clear reason or cause as to why I developed the clot in the first place. I wish I had more answers and that someone out there could explain this to me. The oncologist kept saying something about a reoccurrence and other such things.

Comment from: Nzinga, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 06

my brother was involved in a motorcycle accident. He broke his pelvis both sockets replaced thigh bone leg ankle foot. Titanium plates and rods put in the broken parts mentioned. By not being mobile a blood clot developed in his upper rt thigh. This leg was in a cast, and as the blood clot became obvious the leg in the cast became tight. The cast had to be replaced with a loser one. he has been on blood thinners. But becoming able to move is crucial, but this clot situation has to be resolved.

Comment from: troutfisher, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I have been on Coumadin (warfarin) and was getting ready for a defibrillator, A.V. node ablation. I had a small stroke last Thurs. night and was rushed to hospital. After finding my protime no. to be right they further experimented and found I have Lupus anticoagulin disorder. Now on Lovenox shots. I understand I do not go in for pro time analysis. I read info on Lovenox and says don't mix with aspirin but they have me on low dose aspirin also?

Comment from: Anna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I fell on the stairs of my home. I didn't really hit or bruise my arm, just extended it to prevent my fall. The next day my arm was sore. I thought I pulled a muscle. The next day the soreness was worse. On the 3rd day I could hardly move my arm. On the 4th day I could not comb my hair, it was very painful and swelling. It had redness and was hot to the touch. Finally, I went to the doctor. I had a sonogram and it determined I had a clot. The doctor wanted me in the hospital, but my husband could not be left alone. I gave my self shots of Loveonox prescribed by doctor at home. I later had a clot in other arm and behind my left knee. The Lovenox worked and I am still taking a pill and a half a day of Coumadin. Blood work weekly to keep check on thickness of my blood. Hopefully can get answers why I had the clots. Have not been sick or to a doctor in 3 or 4 years.

Comment from: NickieA71, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I was recently diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism. I don't have any of the risk factors and they don't know what caused it. I suffer from chronic resistant migraines, though the doctors don't think this has anything to do with the PE. I was prescribed Lovenox in the hospital and will continue taking it for six months as I may become pregnant because I am not on birth control. Lovenox is apparently okay during pregnancy, warfarin is not.

Comment from: river rat 46, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

My lower right calf muscle felt sore. After about two weeks I began having bad pain in my chest especially when I coughed. This kept getting worse and I thought I was having a heart attack so I went to my doctor. I was not able to get a good breath and thought I would smother and also had intense pain in the left shoulder. My left arm didn't have any strength. I had a DVT with a pulmonary embolism in each lung. I have been on warfarin since December 2nd. I am getting a blood test next month and I might not have to take it any longer.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

When I was 12 years old I got a D.V.T in my left groin area the cause was unknown to the doctors and they did so many tests it was very scary. The only conclusion they could come to was a long car ride I had taken a week before. Now when you have a D.V.T too you are supposed to be in bed no walking well they allowed me to and it moved to my lungs I had to take Coumadin for 6 months and give myself shots in the stomach for a week.

Comment from: happymom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

At the age of 27 I gave birth to a healthy baby girl. A few hours after giving birth I started to have a really bad headache, I mentioned it to the nurse and she said it was from the epidural I had received so I let it go. 2 days later I couldn't even open my left eye from the pain being so bad. I decided to go to the emergency room where the doctor said it was just because I wasn't getting enough sleep. 10 days later the left side of my head was still hurting, now along with the left side of my neck. My husband noticed I was now crying, vomiting and in severe pain, he decided to call 911. When I arrived to the emergency room they ran some MRI's and CT scan, finally I had an answer, I had a cerebral blood clot along with a blood clot in my jugular. I was given heparin, lovenox and Coumadin in that order. I'm very thankful to be alive even though I do have some permanent damage.

Comment from: Talavera1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had just given birth to my baby girl in 1998. In April of 1999, I was diagnosed with Hepatitis C. In December of 1999, I had a full-blown ischemic stroke due to a venous clot, and I was only 31. I was extremely blessed in that I fully recovered with great medical care and was put on Plavix. In March of this year, I turned 40 and my daughter is 10. Please: Never, ever think you're totally immune to what typically is considered "elderly" medical problems. Blood clots are no laughing matter at any age!

Comment from: Babygirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I have high blood pressure and anemia and lymphedema and veins on the back of my leg. I think that is why my noses bleed sometimes.

Comment from: qamar s., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I am suffering with diabetes and illness with fibroid symptoms in uterus. I am 39 years old and having very severe leg pain.

Comment from: misslaura3960, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I just had my right knee replaced and now I have a sharp pain in my abdomen and one other area. I cannot see anything, but not sure to call doctor about it or what. I am concerned it might be a clot. It does not hurt all time.

Comment from: gm, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I have atrial fibrillation with a blood clot in my right atrium. I am very short of breath and very nervous.

Comment from: mgoehrs94, 45-54 (Caregiver) Published: September 10

I have knots formed on leg veins long term. There is no pain or discoloration.

Comment from: nene, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I have an ache up right side of my back because of blood clot and I feel slightly dazed.

Comment from: Mad, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had a clot in each leg in the past ten years and then last year I had clots on the lungs. I just found out the other day I got 3 more clots in the leg. I want to get the screens because I can"t live like this anymore.

Comment from: Barbb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have been having pain in the calf area five weeks after hip surgery. I am on blood thinners for the clots.

Comment from: fruit, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have just had my second blood clot in the last 3 years. I was on Wafrarin for a year. I was told that the blood clot stated from my leg and went to my lung. I'm a very activity person; I have no history in the family of clots. I do have high blood pressure. When I was in the hospital it was excellent. When I came out it went from 120/80 to 130/80. I just started taking a cholesterol-lowering drug (simvastatin 40mg). I watch my diet and stay away from most fried foods.

Comment from: arbutusrru, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I had a sudden onset of shortness of breath. I have had asthma since I was a kid, but it has always been under control. I went to emergency after five days of this, and I was diagnosed with pulmonary embolism.

Comment from: jacko, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I had an atrial flutter with pacemaker and on therapeutic warfarin and bisoprolol. In for cystoscopy and biopsy but the urologist insisted on, leaving me off warfarin for a total of 11 days, despite my voiced concern. Six days after the cystoscopy, I had a massive brachial embolism, which was reversed by prompt surgery. Moral: don't assume these specialist teams always know what the results of their activities might be.

Comment from: sierragal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

At 54 I had a knee surgery and was up and getting around doing fine 5 days after the surgery. I had pressure in my knee and pain traveling up my body to my back then it felt like a arrow shot in the back. This happened 10 times for about four day till both lungs collapsed then was taken to the hospital. Hospital stay for 12 days where I had three more embolisms. I lost my left lung very painful. My sister has the same thing happen to her but she is paralyzed now and will never walk again .

Comment from: Rick, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

Well when i first found out about my clots I didn't have any pain or any sign's of a problem until that night i started having a problem catching my breath and dizziness and so i called an ambulance and they did a C/T Scan and found I had 5 small clots and 2 Large one's in my left lung and 2 in my heart and they was big clots in my heart thank god. I didn't smoke any more and was in good shape or I might not be here today and they did a procedure with ultrasound and drugs and broke-up all the clots and now I'm on 38 Mg of Coumadin a week forever. We still don't really know why I got so many with no warning ..... they think it was just in my blood line... well I hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Baje, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 12

My friend is on the blood thinner warfarin. This is the third time his medication has increased and still his blood is thick. He never had a clot in his leg but somewhere in is lungs.

Comment from: awbsmom, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I am 24 and had my second child Sept. 12th. Got home from the hospital and felt great. On the 22nd I had extreme pain in my inner thigh brushed it off as nothing. On the 24th I noticed my entire left leg including calf was swollen. Went to the ER and I had a blood clot. I am 24 and have a new baby and a 4yr old to take care of. It is a serious situation and I do feel like an elderly person who can't move. I have a new found respect for these serious situations.

Comment from: Reesa Long, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I had been donating plasma for almost 3 weeks when i went in one day to donate they started my cycle and my blood was not moving. They thought it was just thick and so they disconnected the tube and ran the blood out. It was clotted. The moved the needle to my other arm and blood started to flow but very slowly. When the cycle started to replace my blood my other arm clotted. I have no idea why my blood is clotting but it is pretty scary.

Comment from: karlyg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I had severe pain in the lower left rib cage area and in both arms and shoulders. It wasn't taken too seriously until I also exhibited shortness of breath. The emergency-room doctor told me I had several blood clots -- most of them in my right lung, but none were found elsewhere. I am being treated with 5 mg of Coumadin daily.

Comment from: nlmartinez, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I had my knee replaced three years ago, and I got an infection in it, so I was in the hospital for two months. It was then that I got a deep-vein blood clot. I have been on Lovenox ever since; I give myself a shot every day.

Comment from: Liz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

After a second ACL replacement on the same knee I mentioned to the physicians assistant how white my leg was when the bandage was cut off. After the first surgery there was a lot of bruising. 20 minutes after removal of the bandage I had a stroke. The clot snuck through a pfo or hole in the septum of my heart. Luckily for me I was close to Hartford Hospital where they were able to use the Merci procedure to break up the rather large clot.

Comment from: angle4u28, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had pain in my shoulder and mid back for about three days. One night, the pain got worse, and I was short of breath. I went to the hospital, and they found the blood clot in my right lung. They are still trying to figure out why I got one. I am not high risk for a blood clot.

Comment from: Bobbie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

In my experiences with blood clots in the leg, the first symptom was pain in my leg that felt like a strained muscle. When I had pulmonary thrombosis, the first symptom was pain in the left rib area that worsened when I took a breath.

Comment from: obrien, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I had my first pulmonary emboli at aged 22 I am now 37 and have had in total 4 clots in the lungs even though I have been on Warfarin and Innohep injections for over 14 years. I'm still undergoing investigation as to where the underlying problem is. I am hoping to discuss the solution of a filter being fitted due to the ongoing problems that can be faced when on long term anti-coagulants.

Comment from: sugdaro2005, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I woke up one morning and my left arm was swollen to my finger tips. I got scared and went to the ER. This past March I had a defibrillator/pacemaker put in. So 2 weeks ago, my left arm swelled up, and they said it was a blood clot, they put me on warfarin, and they are monitoring me at my doctor's office. I didn't have a fever, but my oxygen level was down.

Comment from: forgio, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I recently received a steroid injection in my right foot and within 3 days was in the hospital with several bi-lateral PE in my lungs. I can't help but wonder if this injection may have caused my PE's. I never had a steroid injection before this. I am currently taking Warfarin and will be on it for the rest of my life because they could not confirm where the blood clot came from.

Comment from: Jim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I first experienced my blood clot as muscle soreness in my inner thigh, and then my calf and behind the knee. What made the soreness unusual was that the site of the soreness seemed to move around in my calf and up to behind my knee and back down to the calf again. My calf then started to swell. I ignored these symptoms because I had recently had a painful knee bruise, and figured the soreness and swellings were due to the knee injury. I also developed a light fever of around 100-100.6 degrees which would come and go. I still did not consult a doctor, because I was also dealing with having my hyperthyroidism treated, and wondered if these signs were all symptoms of my thyroid slowing down. The symptoms did not go away after two-three weeks, and I finally saw my doctor. He sent me to get a Doppler ultrasound of my leg, and sure enough, I had a very large blood clot extending from my upper thigh through to my calf. I spent three days in the hospital being treated with Lovenox and Coumadin, and was told by the treating hematologist that I was very lucky that I had not had a pulmonary embolism. I am still on Coumadin and am undergoing tests to determine a possible cause to the blood clot.

Comment from: MR, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: July 31

My 81 year old father developed a blood clot in his right leg in January. He was hospitalized and put on blood thinners being monitored weekly for levels. Following a routine colonoscopy in March, he became weaker, and developed headaches. After a CT scan, he was diagnosed with two blood clots on each side of the brain late in March. They inserted the filter in his abdomen to catch further clots, and had surgery which involved 4 buhr holes. He recooperated, with routine CT scans, and in June was diagnosed with yet another blot clot on the brain and bleeding. Following surgery, he developed seizures, weakness on the right side, and slurred speech. All have subsided, and he continues to recover in the hospital, however his hemoglobin levels have fluctuated between 8.9 and 10.4, and is very tired. We're told this is normal. He is not on any blood thinners.

Comment from: ptg, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

The day before my "attack" I was extremely tired and had difficulty walking a short distance. The next evening I developed an excruciating pain in the right side of my chest which I thought to be a heart attack. I was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism and, after tests, eventually prescribed warfarin, which I will be taking from now on. The reason for the blood clot was probably due to an irregular heartbeat and originated in my leg.

Comment from: Giani, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 29

I had severe pain in my left arm. Pain increased with every movement of left hand or arm. Felt some relief in the sun or when arm was kept warm. Pain killers became ineffective after a few days. Ultimately a block was diagnosed near my throat. While operating it was discovered that the clotting started from very near to heart up to throat and blood in left arm was totally blocked while supply to the brain continued. The block was cleared by Operation. There was again pain in left arm. Again a block was diagnosed in left arm. This time operation was ruled out. It was managed with drugs to generate new blood vessels. Slowly blood supply was just sufficient for my arm to perform daily routine though limited to around 30%. I don't know when and where it is going to hit again.

Comment from: lee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

My blood clot hit me when I was in the shower, I could not get to the phone and it was 3 hours before I was found. When I was at the hospital I could not tell the staff my history. I had had a heart attack 5 years earlier it was a blood clot also, to cut the story short I am now a disabled person and the cause has been found. I have an inherited blood condition. Gene 2 Factor V Leiden mutation. G1691A.Our family has 50% that has this mutation and all have been tested. I think every woman should be tested as the risk is very high for woman when having children.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter