Blindness is the state of being sightless. Causes of blindness include macular degeneration, stroke, cataract, glaucoma, infection and trauma. Symptoms and signs may include eye pain, eye discharge, or the cornea or pupil turning white. Treatment of blindness depends upon the cause of the blindness. Read more: Blindness Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Stroke Causes, Symptoms, and Recovery
What is a stroke? Learn about stroke symptoms like sudden numbness or weakness, confusion, vision problems, or problems with...
Cataracts Causes, Symptoms, Vision Tests, and Surgery
Cataracts are a painless clouding of the internal lens of the eye. Learn about symptoms (blurry vision, glare and poor night...
Picture of Color Blindness
When we see different colors, we are perceiving differences in the light that is reaching our eyes. See a picture of Color...
Picture of Diabetic Retinopathy
Diabetic retinopathy, a common complication of diabetes, affects the blood vessels in the retina (the thin light-sensitive...
Picture of Cataracts
Cataract is a painless condition where the normally clear aspirin-sized lens of the eye starts to become cloudy. See a picture of...
Picture of Glaucoma
Glaucoma (the sneak thief of sight) refers to certain eye diseases that affect the optic nerve and cause vision loss. See a...
Picture of Eye Anatomy Detail
The eye has a number of components which include but are not limited to the cornea, iris, pupil, lens, retina, macula, optic...
Picture of Eye
The eye has a number of components which include but are not limited to the cornea, iris, pupil, lens, retina, macula, optic...
IMAGESSee a picture of eye diseases and conditions See Images
Related Disease Conditions
Shingles, or herpes zoster, is a painful rash caused by the varicella zoster virus. Other shingles symptoms include headache,...
A stroke is an interruption of the blood supply to part of the brain caused by either a blood clot (ischemic) or bleeding...
Internal bleeding occurs when an artery or vein is damaged and blood to escapes the circulatory system and collects inside the...
Migraine headache is a type of headache associated with a sensitivity to light, smells, or sounds, eye pain, severe pounding on...
A corneal ulcer is an open sore on the cornea. Infection is a common cause of corneal ulcer. Symptoms and signs of corneal ulcer...
Leprosy (Hansen's disease) is a disfiguring disease caused by infection with Mycobacterium leprae bacteria. The disease is spread...
Glaucoma is a common eye condition in which the fluid pressure inside the eye rises because of slowed fluid drainage from the...
Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) is a disorder of the muscles and joints that causes pain and stiffness in the arms, neck, shoulders,...
Scleritis is inflammation of the white part of the eye. It may be caused by a serious underlying condition, such as an autoimmune...
Paget's disease is a chronic bone disorder due to irregular breakdown and formation of bone tissue. Symptoms of Paget's disease...
Herpes Viral Infections of the Eye
Herpes of the eye occurs due to herpes simplex virus-1 (HSV-1). Symptoms of herpes of the eye include pain in and around the eye,...
Measles (rubeola) is a highly contagious disease that's caused by a virus. Symptoms include a rash, high fever, cough, runny...
Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is a disease that gradually destroys the central vision. In people over 60, AMD is a...
Optic neuritis is inflammation of the optic nerve, the structure that connects the eye to the brain. The precise cause of optic...
Mucormycosis (zygomycosis) is a fungal infection caused by Zygomycetes. Symptoms and signs include fever, headache, coughing,...
A cataract is an eye disease that causes the eye's lens to become cloudy and opaque with decreased vision. Causes of cataracts...
Diabetes and Eye Problems
Diabetes and eye problems are generally caused by high blood sugar levels over an extended period of time. Types of eye problems...
Eye Care and Eye Disorder
Many common eye disorders resolve without treatment and some may be managed with over-the-counter (OTC) products. It's important...
Smallpox is a disease caused by the variola virus. Symptoms and signs include: a characteristic rash and high fever. Treatment...
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (RMSF)
Rocky Mountain spotted fever is a tick-borne disease that causes symptoms and signs such as fever, rash, headache, and muscle...
Trachoma is an infectious disease caused by the Chlamydia trachomatis bacteria. Symptoms and signs include redness and irritation...
Onchocerciasis, or river blindness, is a parasitic disease that may cause blindness. It is transmitted by the bite of a female...
Treacher Collins Syndrome
Treacher Collins syndrome (TCS) is a rare genetic condition that affects the development of the bones and tissues of the face....
Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) is a rare, degenerative, invariably fatal brain disorder. CJD generally appears in the later...
Retinitis pigmentosa (RP) is a genetic condition that causes retinal degeneration and eventual vision loss. Symptoms include...
Shaken Baby Syndrome (Abusive Head Trauma)
Shaken baby syndrome, or abusive head trauma, is the condition that describes the symptoms and signs that result from the violent...
Coats disease is a rare eye condition that typically progresses to vision loss or blindness in one eye. Gradual vision loss is...
Giant Cell Arteritis (GCA or Temporal Arteritis)
Giant cell arteritis, inflammation of blood vessel walls, affects 10%-15% of polymyalgia rheumatica patients. Symptoms of giant...
Eyeglasses, Sunglasses, and Magnifying Glasses
Nonprescription eyeglasses are available over the counter (OTC) and are typically used by people who can no longer read fine...
Neuromyelitis optica (Devic's syndrome) is a disease of the CNS that affects the optic nerves and spinal cord. People with...
Acanthamoeba infection of the eye can cause Acanthamoeba keratitis, a serious infection that may result in permanent vision loss...
Canavan disease is an inherited genetic disorder that typically causes death before 10 years of age. Signs and symptoms of the...
Color blindness is a condition where a person does not see colors in the usual way. Color blindness is a genetic condition that...
Contact Lenses: Colored, Soft, Hard, Toric and Bifocal
Contact lenses fit over the cornea and correct vision problems such as nearsightedness, farsightedness, or astigmatism. Contact...
Alport syndrome is a genetic condition that causes kidney disease, hearing loss, and vision loss in affected individuals....
Local ResourcesFind a local Eye Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
- First U.S. Trial Using CRISPR Within the Body Is Set to Begin
- Brain Sharpens the Hearing of the Blind, Study Finds
- Extra Calcium Safe for the Aging Eye
- Diet Soda Linked to Risk for Diabetic Blindness
- Wearing Contacts 24/7 Can Bring Infection, Blindness, Doctors Warn
- Change Within the Eye May Be Early Warning for Macular Degeneration
- Mediterranean Diet May Help Preserve Your Vision: Study
- Contact Lenses May Harbor Serious, Blinding Infection
- Stem Cells Restore Some Vision in Blind Mice
- Scientists Create First 3D-Printer Corneas
- Early Promise for Eye Implant to Fight Macular Degeneration
- Coming Soon: Glaucoma Self-Care, From Home?
- Diabetes Threatens Kidneys, Vision of Millions of Americans
- 6 Out of 7 Teens Slip Up on Contact Lens Guidelines: CDC
- Get Ready, Safely, for the Great American Eclipse
- As World's Population Ages, Blindness Rates Likely to Grow
- Vision Problems Can Harm Kids' Development, Grades
- Is Annual Eye Exam a Must for People With Type 1 Diabetes?
- Scientists Spot Gene for Rare Disorder Causing Deafness, Blindness
- Brain 'Rewires' to Work Around Early-Life Blindness
- For Seniors, Treatment for One Eye Disease May Cause Another
- Air Pollution May Raise Risk of Type 2 Diabetes
- Laundry Detergent Pods Linked to Eye Burn Danger in Kids
- Experimental Drug Shows Promise for Sight-Stealing Eye Condition
- U.S. Glaucoma Cases Expected to Surge by 2030
- First Case of Zika-Linked Glaucoma Diagnosed in Infant
- Nearly 6 in 10 Diabetics Skip Eye Exams, Study Finds
- Mediterranean Diet, Caffeine May Be Good for Your Eyes
- A Better Diabetes Test?
- Immune-Based Drug May Ease Chronic Eye Condition
- Zika Infection Found in Eyes of Mice
- Contacts May One Day Be Used to Deliver Glaucoma Medication
- Blindness Biggest Fear for Many Americans
- FDA OKs New Injectable Type 2 Diabetes Medication
- Mouse Study Offers Hope for Vaccine Against Chlamydia
- Mouse Study Hints at Hope Against Blindness
- Talking, Texting Teen Drivers Take Deadly Toll
- Extreme 'Preemies' Often Have Lifelong Challenges
- 25 Million Americans Will Struggle With Vision Problems by 2050
- Mini-Camera Mounted on Glasses Helps Blind 'Read'
- Poor Vision and Dangerous Falls Plague Many U.S. Seniors
- Ebola May Leave Some Survivors Blind
- What Women Should Do to Guard Against Vision Loss
- Weight-Loss Surgery May Help Control Type 2 Diabetes in Long Run
- Healthy Amount of Vitamin C Might Keep Cataracts at Bay
- Contact Lenses May Disrupt Eyes' Natural Bacteria, Study Suggests
- Drug Used for Preemie Eye Disease Tied to Disabilities
- Homemade 'Dewshine' Can Be Deadly
- High-Dose Statins May Ease Macular Degeneration for Some
- Kids With Vision-Damaging Cancers May Face Ills Later
- Glaucoma Patients Have False Notions of Pot's Ability to Treat Their Disease: Survey
- Drug Lucentis May Fight Diabetic Eye Disease
- Breast-Feeding Linked to Reduced Risk of Preemie Eye Problem
- Parkinson's Drug Shows Promise Against Macular Degeneration
- Carrots Do Help Aging Eyes, Study Shows
- New Parasite May Have Come From Imported Pets
- Can More Outside Time Help Kids' Eyesight?
- Can Eye Screening for Diabetic Kids Be Delayed a Bit?
- Drug Avastin Not Linked to Higher Risk of Blindness: Study
- Success in Dogs Points to First Nonsurgical Cataract Treatment
- FDA Warns of Complications From Facial Fillers
- Diabetes Drug Metformin May Lower Glaucoma Risk
- Tips to Detect Early Warning Signs of Stroke
- Brain's Visual Center Similar in Sighted and Those Blind From Birth
- Digital Compass Attached to Brain Helps Blind Rats 'See'
- Eat Right to Protect Your Sight
- Eylea Approval Expanded to Include Diabetic Retinopathy
- Measles Can Rob a Child's Sight, Doctors Warn
- Some Blind People Use Echolocation to 'See'
- Study Supports Benefit of Widely Used Glaucoma Drug
- Vitamins May Help Prevent Eye Problems After Weight-Loss Surgery, Study Finds
- Improper Contact Lens Use Causes Millions of Eye Infections: CDC
- Health Tip: Don't Use Costume Contact Lenses
- Disease Severity in One Eye May Predict Progression in the Other
- Weight-Loss Surgery May Raise Risk of Severe Headaches, Scientists Report
- Researchers Probe Molecular Cause for Glaucoma
- Hormone Might Help Preemies' Brains
- It's 'Buyer Beware' for Decorative Contact Lenses, FDA Says
- Scientists Use Stem Cells to Grow Human Corneas in Mice
- Glaucoma Drug May Help Reverse Obesity-Related Vision Loss
- Eye 'Training' May Help Restore Some Vision Lost to Glaucoma
- Scientists Explore Better Way to Deliver Treatment for Eye Disease
- Blindness Rates Dropping Worldwide, Study Finds
- Eye Condition in Preemies Hints at Risk for Later Disabilities
- Childhood Cancer Report Brings Mixed News
- Hetlioz Approved for Sleep Disorder in Blind People
- Postmenopausal Estrogen Therapy Tied to Lower Glaucoma Risk
- Risk of Glaucoma Blindness Drops by Half: Study
- Gene Therapy May Restore Sight in People With Rare Blinding Disease
- Mediterranean Diet Alone May Lower Diabetes Risk
- 'The Pill' Tied to Raised Risk of Glaucoma
- Preterm Boys Face Worse Odds Than Girls, Study Says
- Very Early Preemies May Face Higher Risk of Future Eye Problem
- Halloween Contact Lenses Can Be Horror Story for Eyes
- Statins Linked to Raised Risk of Cataracts in Study
- Sleep Apnea May Be Linked to Glaucoma, Study Says
- Eye Study Results May Offer New Therapy for Some Vision Loss
- Lasers in Toys Can Cause Serious Eye Damage, FDA Warns
- FDA Warns of Rare Skin Reactions to Acetaminophen
- Glaucoma Screening Not for Everyone: Experts
- Check Your Summer Burn IQ
- Glucosamine Supplements Tied to Risk of Eye Condition
- Omega-3s No Help Against Age-Linked Eye Trouble: Study
- Best Glaucoma Treatments Still a Puzzle, Task Force Reports
- FDA Approves 'Bionic Eye' to Help Against Rare Vision Disorder
- Mistaken Infection 'On The Prairie'?
- Study Links Long-Term Aspirin Use With Vision Loss
- U.S. Glaucoma Cases Jump 22 Percent Over Decade: Report
- Diabetes Prevention: Start Small, Experts Say
- Drivers' Glaucoma May Boost Accident Risk
- Coffee Might Raise Glaucoma Risk: Study
- Statins Tied to Reduced Glaucoma Risk
- Researchers Discover Gene Defect Linked to Deafness
- Retina's Thickness May Be Tied to Severity of MS, Study Suggests
- Arsenic Found in Rice at High Levels
- Retinal Device Restores Sight to Blind Mice
- Safety Eyewear Can Prevent Sports Injuries in Kids
- Scientists ID New Gene Linked to Vision Loss in Infants
- Experimental Chemical Helps Blind Mice See
- New Devices Improve Diabetes Control
- Cat Litter Parasite May Raise Suicide Risk
- Aging Eyes Are Seeing Better
- Glaucoma Stent Approved
- Eye Diseases Rising at Rapid Rates in U.S.
- Treating Prediabetes Might Prevent Full-Blown Disease
- Sheryl Crow's Brain Tumor: FAQ
- Antibiotic-Resistant Gonorrhea Spreading: WHO
- Some Heavy Kids at Risk of Blindness, Study Says
- More People -- Even Kids -- Need to Wear Sunglasses
- In Rat Study, Eye Device Shows Promise for Restoring Sight
- Type 2 Diabetes in Kids a Challenge to Control
- Research Gets Closer to Genetic Roots of Glaucoma
- Glaucoma Need Not Steal Sight, Experts Say
- Antibiotics Linked to Retinal Detachment Risk
- National Screening Urged to Detect Eye Disease in Blacks
- Eye Disease Linked to Memory Decline
- Researchers Spot Genes Behind Macular Degeneration
- Gene Therapy Helps People With Inherited Blindness See
- Stem Cells: New Hope for Macular Degeneration
- Could Daily Aspirin Harm Seniors' Eyes?
- Some of World's Tiniest ‘Preemies' Are Growing Up Healthy
- Macular Degeneration Drug Eylea Approved
- FDA Approves First Combo Drug for Diabetes, Cholesterol
- Lucentis May Treat Diabetes-Related Vision Loss
- Metformin: Safer for Heart Than Older Diabetes Drugs?
- Exercise After Meals Helps Control Blood Sugar
- Avastin as Good as Lucentis for AMD Treatment
- Vitamin D Levels May Affect Macular Degeneration Risk
- Progesterone Gel Reduces Risk of Early Preterm Birth
- EPA Proposes New Mercury Air Pollution Rules
- CDC: 26 Million Americans Have Diabetes
- Bottle Rockets Hurt Kids
- Fewer Americans Have AMD
- First Biosynthetic Corneas Implanted
- Health Tip: Why Some People Become Blind
- Stem Cell Treatment Restores Vision
- Drug Reverses Diabetes-Related Vision Loss
- Hybrid Cars Pose Risk to Blind, Visually Impaired
- Glaucoma Treatment Can Prevent Blindness
- Lucentis Prevents Elderly Blindness
Eye Health Resources
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter