Birth defects have many causes and currently, are the leading cause of death for infants in the first year of life. Some of the causes of birth defects include genetic or chromosome problems. Exposure of the mother to rubella or German measles during pregnancy, or using drugs or alcohol during pregnancy. The treatment for birth defects depends upon the condition of the effected child. Read more: Birth Defects Article
Related Disease Conditions
A hernia occurs when an organ or piece of tissue protrudes from the space in which it is normally contained. Symptoms of a hernia...
The definition of a genetic disease is a disorder or condition caused by abnormalities in a person's genome. Some types of...
Scoliosis causes an abnormal curvature of the spine. When the cause of scoliosis is unknown the disorder is described based on...
Brain aneurysm (cerebral aneurysm) is caused by microscopic damage to artery walls, infections of the artery walls, tumors,...
Pregnancy Planning (Tips)
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Microcephaly is a genetic condition where the circumference of the head is smaller than normal due to underdeveloped brain....
Shingles and Pregnancy
Becoming infected with chickenpox during pregnancy could cause birth defects in your unborn child. Likewise, shingles could also...
Hydrocephalus is an abnormal buildup of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) in the ventricles of the brain. The fluid is often under...
Miscarriage is the medical term for the spontaneous loss of pregnancy from conception to 20 weeks gestation. Risk factors for a...
Klinefelter syndrome, also referred to as XXY condition, is a genetic disease. Klinefelter syndrome affects mostly males....
Toxoplasmosis (toxo) is a parasitic infection that causes flu-like symptoms, swollen lymph nodes, and muscle aches and pains that...
Thallium is a metal that can be found in small amounts in the soil. When thallium enters the environment through coal-burning or...
Cerebral palsy (CP) is an abnormality of motor function and postural tone acquired at an early age (even before birth). Cerebral...
Loeys-Dietz syndrome is an inherited genetic syndrome characterized by aortic aneurysms in children. Children with Loeys-Dietz...
Enjoying a healthy diet helps to prevent diseases. A good diet also helps to: control celiac disease, control diabetes,...
A common form of short stature, achondroplasia (dwarfism) is a genetic condition causing a disorder of bone growth. Complications...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Your health care provider may refer you to a genetic professional. Universities and medical centers also often have affiliated...
Angelman syndrome is a genetic disorder that results from the absence of a functional copy of the UBE3A gene inherited from the...
Ventricular Septal Defect
A ventricular septal defect (VSD) is a congenital heart malformation. A VSD is a hole in the wall of the heart's two lower...
Phenylketonuria (PKU) is a disorder that is inherited. PKU disorder increases the levels of phenylalanine in the blood....
A branchial cyst is a congenital remnant from embryologic development that appears on the side of the neck. The cyst may develop...
Treacher Collins Syndrome
Treacher Collins syndrome (TCS) is a rare genetic condition that affects the development of the bones and tissues of the face....
Pendred syndrome, a genetic disorder that causes hearing loss. Generally, the hearing loss is affected in early childhood....
Zika Virus (Zika Fever)
The Zika virus is transmitted by the bite of an infected Aedes mosquito. Symptoms and signs of a Zika virus infection include...
Pfeiffer syndrome, a rare genetic disorder, is characterized by craniosynostosis and other birth defects. There are three...
Kidney dysplasia is a condition in which one or both of a baby's kidneys do not develop normally. In kidney dysplasia, cysts...
Poland syndrome is a congenital malformation that affects one side of the body. Characteristics of Poland syndrome include the...
Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS)
Consuming alcohol during pregnancy may cause fetal alcohol syndrome, a group of conditions associated with mental, growth, and...
Learning disabilities can cause an individual to have trouble learning and using skills such as reading, listening, writing,...
Congenital Heart Defects
Congenital heart defects are heart problems that are present at birth. Genetics may play a role in some heart defects. Symptoms...
Face Blindness (Prosopagnosia)
Face blindness (prosopagnosia) is a condition that causes the inability to recognize faces. Face blindness may be caused by...
Cystic hygroma is a birth defect that may be apparent while a fetus is still in the womb. It is a malformation of the lymphatic...
Choledochal cysts are cysts of the bile ducts. There are several different types of choledochal cysts. These cysts are...
Pregnancy and Drugs (Prescription and OTC)
Taking prescription medications or over-the-counter drugs or supplements should be discussed with your doctor. There are some...
Urine Blockage in Newborns
There are many syndromes and defects that may cause urine blockage in newborns. Defects in the urinary tract that may cause urine...
1p36 Deletion Syndrome
1p36 deletion syndrome is a genetic disorder that causes severe intellectual disability. Characteristics of 1p36 deletion sndrome...
Spina Bifida and Anencephaly (Neural Tube Defects)
Spina bifida is the most common neural tube defect in the United States. There are four types of spina bifida; 1) occulta, 2)...
Cleidocranial dysplasia is a genetic condition. Cleidocranial dysplasia is also referred to as cleidocranial dysostosis and...
German Measles (Rubella)
German measles is a disease that's caused by a virus. Symptoms include rash and fever for two to three days. The MMR (measles,...
Klippel-Trènaunay-Weber (KTW) syndrome is a condition characterized by: port-wine stains or birthmark malformations in the...
Canavan disease is an inherited genetic disorder that typically causes death before 10 years of age. Signs and symptoms of the...
Most often, caregivers take care of other adults who are ill or disabled. Less often, caregivers are grandparents raising their...
Cleft Palate and Cleft Lip
Cleft palate and cleft lip are facial and oral defects that occur early in pregnancy. A cleft lip is a split of the two sides of...
Methemoglobinemia (Beta-Globin Type)
Methemoglobinemia (beta-globin type) is an inherited genetic disorder characterized by an atypical form of hemoglobin that is...
Rothmund-Thomson syndrome is a rare genetic. The signs and symptoms of Rothmund-Thomson syndrome include a redness on the cheeks...
Local ResourcesFind a local Pediatrician in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Birth Defects Prevented by Folic Acid!
- Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne linked to birth defects, depression and suicide
- Coping with a Bad Disease - Community Counts
- Claritin Cleared of Birth Defect Hypospadias
- Down Syndrome Ups & Downs
- Paxil & Pregnancy, Possibilty of Birth Defect
- Patient Story: Rheumatoid Arthritis and Pregnancy
- What Is Kostmann's Syndrome?
- 9 Common Newborn Screening Tests
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Legacy of Gulf War Deployment: Higher Risk of Minor Birth Defects
- Common Yeast Infection Treatment Tied to Miscarriage, Birth Defects
- Climate Change Could Bring More Infant Heart Defects: Study
- Opioid Use in Pregnancy Tied to Severe Birth Defects
- Scans, Ultrasound Spot Zika Brain Defects
- Cost of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome: $23,000 Annually Per Case
- Is All Well With Your Drinking Water?
- Monkeys Can Carry Zika Virus, Scientists Discover
- Air Pollutants Reach Placenta, Might Harm Fetus: Study
- Did Folic Acid Supplementation in Foods Lead to Less Psychosis in Kids?
- Zika Dangers During Pregnancy May Be Worse Than Thought
- Psychiatric Drug Lithium Tied to Birth Defect Risk
- Birth Defects Affect 7 Percent of Zika-Exposed Babies: Study
- Babies With Normal Head Size Might Still Have Zika-Linked Brain Damage
- Zika Tied to Rise in U.S. Birth Defects: CDC
- Mom-to-Be's Immune Response May Trigger Zika Birth Defects
- Epilepsy Drug Could Raise Birth Defect Risks
- Mom-to-Be's High Blood Sugar May Raise Baby's Odds for Heart Defects
- Women Falling Short on Birth Defect Prevention
- How Zika Virus Went From Mild to Devastating
- Premature Births Cost Health Plans Billions
- Vision Problems Common in Babies Infected With Zika
- Harvey's Health Hazards Will Continue During Cleanup
- Some Newborns Don't Get Heart Defect, Hearing Loss Tests
- Zika May Not Last in Semen as Long as Thought
- 'Herd Immunity' May Be Curbing U.S. Zika Numbers
- Zika Virus Tied to Neurological Woes in Adults
- Sexually Transmitted Zika Case Confirmed in Florida
- Zika Probably Not Spread Through Saliva: Study
- Impaired Eyesight May Be First Sign of Zika Damage in Babies
- Guys, a Noisy Bedroom May Not Be Good for Your Fertility
- Widening 'Race Gap' in U.S. Infant Deaths
- Tissue Testing Can Spot Zika at Birth: CDC
- Higher Pregnancy Weight Tied to Raised Odds for Birth Defects
- 1 in 20 Pregnant Women Infected With Zika Have Babies With Birth Defects: CDC
- Puerto Rico's Zika Epidemic Over: Officials
- Zika's Set to Return to Mainland U.S., But Budget Cuts Threaten Response
- Zika Mosquito Can Transmit Other Viruses, Too
- New Device Approved for Esophageal Birth Defect
- 'Groundbreaking Strides' Made in Zika Vaccine Research
- Zika Risk May Be Lower Than Thought for Some Pregnant Women
- Zika Epidemic in U.S. Could Be a Costly Scenario
- Epilepsy: Another Potential Zika Threat to Babies
- Zika Can Harm Babies' Vision, Too
- U.S. Blood Supply Safe From Zika Virus, Officials Say
- Birth Defects Strike 1 in 10 U.S. Pregnancies Affected by Zika
- Far Fewer Kids Are Dying Worldwide, but Gains Are Uneven
- Obesity in Early Pregnancy May Raise Child's Risk of Epilepsy
- Scientists Probe Zika's Path to the Fetus
- Got the HPV Vaccine Before You Knew You Were Pregnant? Don't Worry
- Cases of Zika-Linked Birth Defects Dropped in Brazil in 2016
- Older Mothers May Raise Better-Behaved Kids, Study Suggests
- Sperm Donations Discouraged in 3 Florida Counties Due to Zika Fears
- Zika Virus May Also Harm the Heart
- Disabled Kids at Higher Risk of Abuse, Study Finds
- Risk of Birth Defects 20 Times Higher for Zika Moms: CDC
- Antiviral Flu Drugs Safe in Mid-to-Late Pregnancy: Study
- Zika Infection Shrinks Testicles in Mice
- Little Weight Gain in Pregnancy Tied to Schizophrenia Risk in Kids: Study
- No, Your Cat Isn't a Threat to Your Mental Health
- Scientists Probe Zika's Devastating Effect on Pregnancy
- Zika Lingers in Semen for Less Time Than Thought: Study
- New Zika Vaccine Candidate Provides Powerful Protection
- Parents of Kids With Heart Defects Face PTSD Risk: Study
- Risk of Death Due to Birth Defects Higher If Baby Covered by Medicaid
- U.S. Health Care Costs From Birth Defects Total Almost $23 Billion a Year
- Doctors Describe First U.S. Case of Locally Acquired Zika in Pregnancy
- New Guidelines Reaffirm Prenatal Folic Acid to Curb Birth Defects
- Why Major Zika Outbreak Is Unlikely in U.S.
- Zika Fears, Opioid Abuse Crisis Top Health News for 2016
- CDC Allocates $184 Million for Zika Protection
- Mothers of Kids With Severe Birth Defects May Have Shorter Lives: Study
- Did El Nino Weather Give Zika a Boost?
- Pregnant Women Should Avoid Zika-Hit Texas Town: CDC
- Birth Defects From Zika More Far-Reaching Than Thought
- Lab Vaccine Shields Mice Against Zika Virus
- Zika Still a Threat During Winter Months
- Study Shows How Zika Attacks Infant Brain
- Florida Now Zika-Free: CDC
- Zika-Linked Birth Defects Surge in Colombia: CDC
- New Clues to Huge Jump in U.S. Mosquito Population
- Another Miami Neighborhood Now Zika-Free
- First Case of Zika-Linked Glaucoma Diagnosed in Infant
- Texas Reports 1st Likely Case of Local Zika Infection
- Imaging Studies Shed Light on Zika's Effects
- FDA Scientists Develop Mouse Model for Zika Research
- Zika No Longer 'Global Health Emergency,' WHO Says
- Zika Can Survive on Hard Surfaces for Hours
- Women at Greater Risk Than Men for Zika Infection: Study
- DNA-Based Vaccine Protects Against Zika in Animal Study
- Antibody Treatment Shields Fetus From Zika -- in Mice
- Common Vaccine Safe for Mother, Fetus
- Could Zika Harm Men's Fertility?
- Zika Testing for All Pregnant Women Who Have Been in Florida County: CDC
- New Clues on How Zika Causes Brain Birth Defects
- CDC Updates Spending Plans to Combat Zika
- Fewer Birth Defects for Older Moms Who Have Fertility Treatments
- Zika Infection May Bring Future Immunity: Study
- Florida Officials Announce New Zika Zone in Miami
- Even Incomplete Steroid Treatment Helps Preemies: Study
- DEET Repellents Safe in Pregnancy to Prevent Zika, Researchers Say
- Zika Connection to Rare Nerve Disorder Bolstered by Study
- Zika Causes Widespread Damage to Fetal Brain
- Top Zika Vaccine Candidate Moves Closer to Field Testing
- Congress Agrees to More Zika Funding: Reports
- Zika May Be Passed on Through Tears, Sweat: Report
- Hurdles Ahead for Zika Vaccine: Experts
- Common Culex Mosquitoes Don't Transmit Zika Virus: Study
- Is Morning Sickness a Good Thing?
- Insecticide Spraying Working Against Florida's Zika Mosquitoes: Officials
- DNA-Based Vaccine Guards Against Zika in Monkey Study
- CDC Ends Zika Travel Advisory for Miami Neighborhood
- H1N1 'Swine Flu' Vaccine Unlikely to Raise Birth Defect Risk
- CDC May Lift Zika Travel Advisory for Miami Neighborhood
- CDC's Frieden: We're Nearly Out of Money to Fight Zika
- For Teens With Leukemia, Pregnancy Tests Often Neglected
- Congress Can't Agree on Additional Funding to Fight Zika
- Zika Infection Found in Eyes of Mice
- MRIs Safe During First Months of Pregnancy: Study
- Newer Epilepsy Drugs May Be Safer During Pregnancy
- Funds to Fight Zika Nearly Exhausted: CDC
- Researchers Find Another Way Zika Can Harm Babies
- Heart Birth Defects Dropped After Folic Acid Was Added to Food
- FDA Recommends All Blood Donations Be Tested for Zika
- New Case of Local Zika Infection Reported in Florida
- Zika May Persist for Months in Newborns, Study Shows
- Five More Cases of Local Zika Infection Reported in Florida
- Five Local Zika Cases Reported in Miami Beach
- CDC Advises Pregnant Women to Avoid Miami Beach Due to Zika
- Antipsychotic Meds Pose Little Danger to Fetus, Study Finds
- Texas Reports 1st U.S. Case of Zika From Travel to Another State
- White House Transfers $81M to Continue Zika Vaccine Research
- Zika Linked to Deformed Limbs in Newborns
- Officials: Aerial Spraying Working Against Miami Mosquitoes
- 3 Zika Vaccines Effective in Monkeys
- U.S. Launches Early Trial of Zika Vaccine
- Zika: Why Brazil, Why Now
- CDC Awards $16M in Fight Against Zika
- Miami's Zika Infections Up to 14: Officials
- 4 Out of 5 Kids With Epilepsy Have Other Health Problems: Study
- Florida Investigates 2 More Possible Cases of Zika Virus Local Transmission
- Timing Conception Might Help Reduce Zika Risk in Affected Areas
- Zika Now Tied to Miscarriage
- Quitting Smoking While Pregnant: What Works
- CDC Updates Zika Guidelines for Pregnant Women
- 1.6 Million Child-Bearing Women in Latin America Could Get Zika: Study
- Some Pregnant Women Still Travel to Zika-Affected Areas
- Florida Investigates Possible Local Transmission of Zika Virus
- New Clues to Zika's Threat to Fetus, and How to Stop It
- Latest Zika Puzzle: How U.S. Patient Infected Caregiver
- Is There a New Way to Get Zika?
- Latin America Zika Outbreak Should 'Burn Out' Within 3 Years, Scientists Say
- Research Sees Potential to Make Bone, Muscle From Human Stem Cells
- Zika Drives Heightened Mosquito Fears: Survey
- Smoking in Pregnancy May Be Under-Reported
- U.S. Army, French Drugmaker to Join Forces on Zika Vaccine
- Can Bats Really Help Fight Mosquitos?
- Zika Brain Damage May Occur in Babies With Normal-Sized Heads
- Success in Mice Shows Zika Vaccine 'Feasible'
- Zika Infection May Give Future Immunity, Monkey Study Suggests
- Dallas Confirms 10 Zika Cases in Pregnant Women
- Abortion Rates Rising in Zika-Affected Countries, Study Shows
- Zika Can Also Strike Eyes of Adults: Report
- Fertility Treatments Not Linked to Twins' Birth Defects
- Zika Spreading Rapidly Through Puerto Rico: CDC
- CDC Reports Six Cases of Birth Defects Caused by Zika
- Folic Acid Now Added to Corn Masa Flour: FDA
- Timing of Zika Infection in Pregnancy May Be Key to Birth Defect Risk
- Zika Could Spread in Southern Europe This Summer
- Couples Living in Zika Areas Should Delay Pregnancy, WHO Advises
- Most Americans Aware of Zika Threat, But Gaps in Knowledge Remain
- Cases of Pregnant U.S. Women With Zika Triple Under New Counting Method
- Folic Acid for Moms-to-Be Not as Effective as Thought?
- Pain, Epilepsy Drug Lyrica May Increase Birth Defects Risk, Study Suggests
- Dad's Role in Baby's Health Larger Than Thought?
- Zika Symptoms May Vary, So Testing Is Crucial
- Too Much Folic Acid in Pregnancy Tied to Raised Autism Risk in Study
- Zika Destroys Fetal Brain Cells, Lab Study Finds
- With Zika at the Doorstep, U.S. Health Officials Brace for Battle
- What You Need to Know About the Zika Virus
- Officials Report First Zika Death in Puerto Rico
- Contraception Safety Program for Acne Drug Failing in Canada
- Businesses Should Be Mindful of Zika Danger to Workers, CDC Says
- U.S. Health Experts Debate Advice to Women Once Zika Virus Arrives
- Makers of Corn Masa Flour Can Add Folic Acid
- Zika Virus Causes Brain Defects in Babies: CDC
- CDC: Zika Virus Definitely Causes Microcephaly
- Why Do Some Kids Escape Terrible Genetic Disorders?
- U.S. Moving Money From Ebola Fund to Help Fight Zika
- Study Sees No Link Between Common Epilepsy Drug, Certain Birth Defects
- CDC Zika Summit Details Plans to Fight Mosquito-Borne Illness
- Smoking During Pregnancy Seems to Alter Fetal DNA, Study Finds
- U.S. Autism Rate Unchanged at 1 in 68 Kids: CDC
- Many Americans Misinformed About Zika Virus
- CDC Sets New Guidelines on Sex After Zika Exposure
- Couples Exposed to Zika Should Wait on Pregnancy
- CDC: 116 Cases of Zika in U.S. Residents in First 2 Months of Year
- Puerto Rico Looks East for Help With Zika Mosquito
- Scientists Assess Risk to Pregnant Women Infected With Zika
- Fight Turns Personal for a Man at War With Zika
- Zika Poses Serious Threat to Puerto Rico: U.S. Health Officials
- Scientists Report Insights Into Zika Virus and Birth Defect
- Zika Found in 9 U.S. Pregnancies, Outcomes Often Severe: CDC
- Pregnant Travelers, Tough Choices on Zika Testing
- Report Suggests Zika's Effect on Fetus May Be Even Deadlier Than Thought
- CDC Cites 14 Potential New Cases of Zika Transmitted By Sex
- Check Newborns of Women Who Visited Zika-Prone Areas for Infection: CDC
- U.S. Travelers Seek More Zika Details
- In Fight Against Zika Virus, Officials Consider Genetically Modified Mosquitoes
- WHO: Neurological Disorder on the Rise in Zika Zones
- Advanced 3D Printer Shows Potential for New Tissues, Organs
- CDC Offering Zika Virus Tests for Pregnant Women
- Researchers Probe Colombia's Claim of No Birth Defects Linked to Zika
- CDC Reports Link Between Zika Virus and Microcephaly
- Birth Defect Tied to Zika Virus Can Leave Children With Lifetime of Health Woes
- CDC Adds New Zika Warning for Pregnant Women and Their Sex Partners
- Red Cross Takes Steps to Keep Zika Virus Out of Blood Supply
- Diabetes Drug May Not Help Obese Women Have Normal-Weight Babies
- Zika and Microcephaly: How Doctors Made the Link
- Texas Health Officials Report Sexually Transmitted Case of Zika Virus
- U.S. Weighs Changes to Blood Donations in Response to Zika Virus Outbreak
- Mistakes During Delivery Rarely Cause Newborn Brain Damage, Study Contends
- As Zika Virus Spreads, Doctors Try to Calm Fears
- Prenatal Antidepressant Use Not Linked to Infant Heart Defects: Study
- Obesity Before Pregnancy Tied to Raised Risk of Newborn Death
- Rate of Severe Stomach Birth Defect Doubled Over Two Decades: CDC
- CDC Issues Zika-Virus Guidance for Docs With Pregnant Patients
- Spike in Newborn Drug-Withdrawal Tied to Prenatal Painkiller Use
- No Link Between 'the Pill' and Birth Defects: Study
- Active, Passive Smoking Tied to Infertility, Early Menopause: Study
- Girls Given Risky Meds Don't Get Contraceptive Advice
- Weight Gain Between Pregnancies May Affect Infant Survival
- Study Sees No Link Between Antibiotics in Early Pregnancy and Birth Defects
- Infant Heart Defect May Be Linked to Pre-Diabetic Sugar Levels in Pregnancy
- Fetal Tissue Research: FAQ
- 10 Percent of U.S. Women Drink During Pregnancy: Study
- Though Rare, Some Disabilities Seen Long After Newborn Heart Surgery
- Mom's Healthy Diet Linked to Lower Heart Defect Risk at Birth
- U.S. Infant Deaths At Lowest Rate Ever: CDC
- 1 in 5 U.S. Adults Has a Physical, Mental Disability: CDC
- Prenatal Gene Tests Can Sometimes Spot Cancer in Mom-to-Be
- Another Study Sees Link Between Antidepressants and Birth Defects
- Lip Injections May Ease Challenges of Facial Paralysis
- 3D 'Printout' Device Keeps Very Ill Babies Breathing
- Newer Test for Down Syndrome Called 'Major Advance'
- Painkiller-Addicted Babies a Growing U.S. Concern, Especially in Fla.
- Weight-Loss Surgery May Lower Some Pregnancy Complications, Raise Others
- Better Contraceptive Knowledge Can Aid in Safe Use of Acne Drug: Study
- Many Women of Childbearing Age Take Narcotic Painkillers: CDC
- Neural Tube Defects, Such as Spina Bifida, on the Decline: CDC
- Health Tip: What to Avoid During Pregnancy
- Sleeping on Back in Pregnancy Tied to Stillbirth Risk in Study
- Mom's Obesity May Affect Newborn Survival
- Kids With Epilepsy Face Higher Early Death Risk, Study Reports
- Kidney, Urinary Birth Defects Tied to Obesity in Moms-to-Be
- Egg Freezing for a Future Pregnancy: What to Know
- More Kids Harmed by Drinking in Pregnancy Than Expected, Study Reports
- Fertility Treatments Aren't Significantly Linked to Birth Defects
- Esbriet, Ofev Approved to Treat Deadly Lung Disease
- U.S. Life Expectancy Hits Record High of Nearly 79 Years: CDC
- U.S. Still Lags in Infant Mortality Rates, Report Finds
- Childhood Mental Disability Rates Up, Study Finds
- Blood Test Might Help Prevent Certain Birth Defects
- Health Tip: Quit Smoking, Especially While Pregnant
- Breast Cancer Drug May Help Women Fight a Leading Cause of Infertility: Study
- Study Targets Causes of Birth Defects
- Glaucoma Can Affect Babies, Too
- Certain Birth Defects More Common Among Hispanics: Report
- Antidepressants in Pregnancy Won't Harm Baby's Heart, Study Suggests
- Taking Antipsychotic Drugs While Pregnant May Harm Newborns: Study
- Can Fire Retardants Raise Risk of Children Born With Lower IQs?
- No Link Found Between Low Sperm Count, Birth Defects
- CDC Targets 5 Parasitic Infections
- Slightly Higher Risk of Birth Defects Seen in Pregnant Women on HIV Drugs
- Obesity Linked to Increased Odds of Losing Baby, Study Finds
- U.S. Autism Estimates Rise by 30 Percent for Kids
- Health Tip: Get Healthy Before Pregnancy
- Treatment Costs Vary for U.S. Children Born With Heart Defects
- Fever in 1st Trimester Might Raise Risk of Birth Defects
- Babies Born to Moms Over 35 May Have Lower Risk for Certain Birth Defects
- Mekinist Plus Tafinlar Approved for Late-Stage Melanoma
- FDA OKs 2-Drug Combo Treatment for Advanced Melanoma
- Study Weighs Safety of Epilepsy Drugs in Pregnancy
- Study of Male Birth Defect Lets Pesticides Off the Hook -- for Now
- What Puts That Individual Stamp on Your Face?
- Kidney Transplant Rejection Drugs Tied to Pregnancy Risks in Study
- Popular Morning Sickness Drug Safe in Pregnancy, Study Finds
- Some Birth Defects in the Heart Present Infection Risk, Study Finds
- Genetic Syndrome May Have Links to Parkinson's Disease
- Scientists Shed New Light on Cerebral Palsy, Early Infant Death
- Some Painkillers Tied to Certain Birth Defects in Study
- More U.S. Women Having Kids in Their 30s and 40s: Report
- Anti-Fungal Drug Not Tied to Most Birth Defects: Study
- Epilepsy Drug Warnings May Slip Through Cracks
- Study Sees Risk of Childhood Cancer Among Those With Specific Birth Defects
- Autism Coverage Varies From State to State
- Plastics Chemical BPA May Harm Human Fertility: Study
- Birth Defect Discovery in Weimaraners Might Help Humans
- Epilepsy Drugs in Pregnancy Tied to Developmental Delays in Children
- Birth Defect Risk Doubles in Children Born to Cousins: Study
- Health Tip: Why Take Folic Acid?
- BPA Exposure Tied to Undescended Testicles in Boys
- Heart Device 'Shock' Anxiety May Hamper Sex Life
- Keep Beauty Regimen Safe During Pregnancy, Doctor Advises
- More Infants Surviving With Serious Heart Defects, Study Finds
- Prenatal Use of Common Epilepsy Drug Tied to Higher Autism Risk
- U.S. Infant Mortality Rates Finally Dropping Again: Report
- Traffic Smog Tied to Serious Birth Defects
- Rubella in Pregnancy Rare in U.S., But Can Be Devastating for Baby
- Stress During Pregnancy May Raise Heart Defect Risk for Baby
- No Risks to Pregnancy Seen With Morning Sickness Drug
- Folic Acid Supplements Don't Affect Cancer Risk, Review Finds
- How One N.Y. Family Met the Challenge of an Oral Birth Defect
- Mothers' Pre-Pregnancy Weight Tied to Kids' IQ, Study Says
- Drug Shows Promise for Lupus Skin Conditions
- Health Tip: Manage Diabetes During Pregnancy
- Flu During Pregnancy May Be Linked to Autism Risk
- Common Antidepressants Too Risky During Pregnancy, Researchers Say
- Hospitals Should Test More Teen Girls for Pregnancy, Study Suggests
- Egg Freezing as Viable as 'Fresh' Eggs, Fertility Experts Say
- Infertility Treatment May Raise Birth Defect Risk
- B Vitamin Supplements Don't Affect Colon Cancer Risk: Study
- Common Pesticide Linked to Birth Defect, Study Suggests
- Animal Study Ties Common Chemical to Reproductive Problems
- Weight Loss Pill Qsymia Now for Sale
- Vitamin D in Pregnancy Critical for Brain Development, Study Says
- Gestational Diabetes, Poverty Linked to ADHD
- Scientists Map Genetic 'Blueprint' of Heart
- Kids With Neurological Conditions at Higher Risk of Flu Death: CDC
- Thyroid Treatment Guidelines for Pregnant Women Revised
- Excess Weight, Diabetes Raise Risk of Big Babies
- Vaginal Deliveries as Safe as C-Sections for Most Preterm Births
- Heart Birth Defects May Have Lasting Effect
- Doctors Report Historic Transplant in Child
- 1 in 13 Pregnant Women Drink, CDC Says
- Mom's Pot Use Doubles Risk of 'Preemie' Birth: Study
- Can a Parent's Job Raise Odds for Birth Defects in Baby?
- H1N1 Flu Shot Appears Safe During Pregnancy
- Standing at Work All Day While Pregnant Linked to Smaller Babies
- Mom's Smoking Tied to Dangerous Gut Illness in Preemies
- Flame Retardant Found in Some Common Foods
- Drowning Top Cause of Injury Deaths in Kids 1-4
- About 20% of White Women Smoke While Pregnant
- Infertility Treatments May Raise Birth Defect Risk
- New Earlier, Noninvasive Paternity Test Developed
- Is Your Nail Polish Toxic?
- Planning Pregnancy May Cut Birth Defects
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Birth Defects
- Moms' Antidepressants May Affect Babies' Head Size: Study
- Nicotine Patches Fail Most Pregnant Smokers
- Blood Test Detects Down Syndrome During Pregnancy
- FDA Panel Votes in Favor of Weight Loss Pill Qnexa
- FDA Weighs Fate of Qnexa for Weight Loss, Again
- Weekend Delivery Doesn't Hurt Babies With Birth Defects: Study
- Is That ‘New Car Smell' Toxic?
- Chemo May Not Harm Unborn Baby
- C-Sections Not Always Best for Small Babies
- Health Highlights: Feb. 7, 2012
- Health Tip: Coping With Migraines During Pregnancy
- Health Highlights: Feb. 3, 2012
- Study Looks at Possible HIV Drugs-Birth Defect Link
- Erivedge Approved to Treat Basal Cell Carcinoma
- When Mom-to-Be's Overweight and Smokes, Risk for Birth Defects Rises
- More Newborns Suffering Drug Withdrawal at Birth
- Asthma Meds Likely Safe During Pregnancy: Study
- Bipolar Drug May Spur Weight Gain, Thyroid Problems: Review
- Asthma Drugs During Pregnancy Linked to Slight Risk of Rare Birth Defects
- Health Tip: Eat Right During Pregnancy
- Some Causes of Stillbirth May Be Avoidable: Studies
- Birth Defects Seem Rare in Kids of Childhood Cancer Survivors
- FDA Reconsiders Weight Loss Drug Qnexa
- Is High Blood Pressure Linked to Birth Defects?
- For Many, Epilepsy Surgery Effective Long-Term
- Vitamins May Lower Risk of Birth Complication
- Low-Carb Diets May Improve Acne
- Do Pools Expose Swimmers to Potentially Harmful Chemicals?
- Some Aluminum Water Bottles Leach BPA
- Prenatal Vitamins May Lower Autism Risk
- Decade's Top 10 Public Health Achievements
- Study: Low Birth Defect Risk From Newer Epilepsy Drugs
- Use of Dietary Supplements on the Rise
- Qnexa Yields Up to Nearly a 10% Weight Loss: Study
- Secondhand Smoke Raises Stillbirth Risk
- New Birth Defect Warning for Topamax
- Opioid Painkillers Linked to Birth Defects
- Risks of Thirdhand Cigarette Smoke Can Linger
- Progress Toward Blood Test for Down Syndrome
- Chemo During Pregnancy OK
- Acid-Reducing Drugs May Not Be Risky in Pregnancy
- Timing of Delivery May Affect Cerebral Palsy Risk
- IVF Babies May Have Slightly Higher Cancer Risk
- FDA Panel Says 'No' to Weight Loss Drug Qnexa
- Home Births Linked to Higher Newborn Death Rate
- IVF Babies and Major Birth Defects
- Birth Defects Linked to Valproic Acid
- Barbara Walters' Heart Surgery
- High Doses of Vitamin D May Cut Pregnancy Risks