Birth control is available in a variety of methods and types. The method of birth control varies from person to person, and their preferences to either become pregnant or not. Examples of barrier methods include:
- Barrier methods (sponge, spermicides, condoms)
- Hormonal methods (pill, patch)
- Surgical sterilization (tubal ligation, vasectomy)
- Natural methods
- The morning after pill
Side effects and risks of each birth control option should be reviewed prior to using any birth control method.Read more: Birth Control Options (Types and Side Effects) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
STD Diagnosis, Images, Symptoms, Treatment
Learn about sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) including symptoms, signs, diagnosis, and treatment options. Get more...
Early Signs & Symptoms of Pregnancy
Read about early signs and symptoms of pregnancy such as nausea and vomiting (morning sickness), bloating, tender breasts, and...
The Surprising Health Benefits of Sex
How would you like a stronger immune system or better sleep? Action between the sheets can help you get all of this and more....
Sex Tips for Men: How to Have a Better Sex Life
Learn sex tips for men that lead to more sexual pleasure such as better communication, focusing on pleasurable sensations,...
Sex-Drive Killers: The Causes of Low Libido
Noticing a lack of intimacy with your partner? Here we explore how stress, lack of sleep, weight gain, depression and low T can...
Female Sexual Dysfunction: Treatment for Women's Sexual Disorders
Sexual dysfunction in women is common, from female sexual arousal disorder to other sexual problems. Causes of female sexual...
Birth Control Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
What is the best form of birth control? Take this quiz to find out about hormonal, surgical, barrier, and natural methods!...
Sex Quiz: Love & Relationships Facts
Relationships, sex, and love! Could it be that what motivates physical attraction in us may be all in our minds? Take the Sex &...
Puberty In Girls Quiz: Stages of Puberty
Take the Puberty In Girls Quiz to learn the myths and facts about normal adolescent growth and development for teens and tweens....
Pregnancy Myths and Facts Quiz: Test Your Pregnancy IQ
Being pregnant is a delicate time for both mother and baby. Take this quiz to separate the myths and facts about being pregnant,...
Early Pregnancy Symptoms Quiz
What are early pregnancy symptoms? In some women, symptoms range from a missed period to feeling lightheaded. Others may...
STD Quiz: Symptoms, Testing & List
There are more sexually transmitted diseases than just the ones you've heard of. Find out what you've been missing with the STD...
Choosing Your Birth Control Method
What are your birth control options? Learn about birth control side effects and effectiveness. Discover birth control methods...
Men, Love, and Sex: 18 Secrets Guys Wish You Knew in Pictures
What do men really want you to know about them? For better intimacy, learn these 18 secrets guys wish you Knew about sex, love,...
Chocolate, Sex, and Relationships: A Healthy Treat in Pictures
Did you ever wonder how chocolate came to be so universally loved? Explore the fascinating history of one of the world's most...
Your Sex Life After Pregnancy
Learn how your sex life changes after having a baby. Explore tips on how to regain sexual desire and strengthen your relationship...
Related Disease Conditions
Cervical cancer is cancer of the entrance to the womb (uterus). Regular pelvic exams and Pap testing can detect precancerous...
Breast cancer is an invasive tumor that develops in the mammary gland. Breast cancer is detected via mammograms, breast...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STD)
Sexually transmitted diseases, or STDs, are infections that are transmitted during any type of sexual exposure, including...
Lactose intolerance is a common problem where a person's digestive system cannot digest lactose. Signs and symptoms include:...
Dry eyes are caused by an imbalance in the tear-flow system of the eye, but also can be caused by the drying out of the tear...
Spotting vs. Period (Differences between Symptoms and Signs)
Menstruation (a female's "period") occurs due to the shedding of the lining of the uterus. Menstrual bleeding lasts about...
Women's health is an important topic area to guide a woman through the stages of her life, as well as knowing the conditions and...
Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS)
Toxic shock syndrome is an infection that causes symptoms such as low blood pressure, fever, and a rash with peeling skin....
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes:...
Birth Control Pill vs. Shot (Depo-Provera): Similarities and Differences
Birth control pills (oral contraceptives) and the Depo-Provera shot are two hormonal methods of birth control. Both methods...
Sexual Response Cycle (Phases of Sexual Response)
There are four phases to the sexual response for men and women. Couple do not usually reach each phase at the same time, and they...
Sexual health information including birth control, impotence, herpes, sexually transmitted diseases, staying healthy, women's...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Pregnancy (STDs)
When you are pregnant, many sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) can be especially harmful to you and your baby. These STDs...
Reproductive health encompasses the beginning of menstruation for women, choosing the right birth control method for you and your...
Birth Control Methods - Types
What type of birth control do you find most comfortable and effective?Post View 2 Comments
Birth Control Methods: Hormonal
What type of hormonal birth control are you taking, or have you taken in the past; and what if any side effects did you experience?Post
Birth Control Methods: IUD
Please share your experience with the IUD birth control method.Post View 2 Comments
Birth Control Methods: Surgical Sterilization
Please share your experience with tubal ligation or vasectomy.Post
Birth Control Options - Experience
Please share your experience with types of birth control.Post View 2 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Triglycerides (Tests and Lowering Your Triglyceride Levels)
- Douching (Vaginal Douche)
- Chemical Peel
- IUD (Intrauterine Device for Birth Control)
- Natural Birth Control
- Hormonal Methods of Birth Control
- Birth Control: Surgical Sterilization
- Barrier Methods of Birth Control
- Contraceptive Measures after Unprotected Sex
- Early Pregnancy Symptoms FAQs
- Sex & Love FAQs
- STD FAQs
- Puberty In Girls FAQs
- Pregnancy Myths and Facts FAQs
- Birth Control FAQs
- Birth Control: The Contraceptive Patch
- How Do You Know if You Are Pregnant?
- Birth Control Types
- Pharmacy Visit, How To Get The Most Out of Your Visit
- Ask The Experts: Women's Health
- Birth Control Prescribed by Pharmacists
Medications & Supplements
- Birth Control Pills (List of Oral Contraceptives and Side Effects)
- sildenafil (erectile dysfunction) - oral, Viagra
- valacyclovir - oral, Valtrex
- medroxyprogesterone acetate (contraceptive) - intramuscular, Depo-Provera
- tadalafil (erectile dysfunction) - oral, Cialis
- vardenafil - oral, Levitra
- ORAL CONTRACEPTIVES
- Ethinyl Estradiol-Cyproterone-Oral
- Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel, Next Choice One Dose, My Way)
- medroxyprogesterone, Provera, Depo-Provera, Depo-Sub Q Provera 104
- levonorgestrel/ethinyl estradiol 13 week contraceptive - oral, Seasonale
- norethindrone/ethinyl estradiol - oral, FemHRT
- norethindrone (oral - Camila, Errin, Heather, Jencycla, Nor QD, Nora-BE, Ortho Micronor, Incassia)
- levonorgestrel-implant, Norplant
- hydroquinone/sunscreen - topical
- fluocinolone/tretinoin/hydroquinone - topical, Tri-Luma
- ethinyl estradiol/drospirenone - oral, Yasmin 28
- levonorgestrel-releasing 5 year system - intrauterine, Mirena
- etonogestrel/ethinyl estradiol ring - vaginal, Nuvaring
- norelgestromin/ethinyl estradiol patch - transdermal, Ortho Evra
- hydrocortisone/yerba santa drops - otic, Earsol-HC
- Plan B
- Athentia Next
- Estrostep Fe
- Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo
- Junel FE
- Loestrin Fe
- Plan B One-Step
- Ortho Tri-Cyclen
- Larin Fe
- Ortho Evra
- Ortho Micronor
Prevention & Wellness
- White House to Roll Back Birth Control Mandate in Employers' Health Care Plans
- 6 in 10 of America's Single Guys 'Take Responsibility' for Contraception
- Controversial Inmate Birth Control Program Halted
- Trump Administration Moves to Reverse Birth Control Requirement for Religious Employers
- A Plug Instead of a Snip for Male Birth Control?
- Dutch Government Launches Birth Control Fund for Women in Developing Nations
- FDA Explains Pros, Cons of Permanent Birth Control
- Male Birth Control in a Shot: Promising, But More Work Needed
- U.S. Teen Births Hit Another Record Low: CDC
- 'The Pill' May Raise Depression Risk
- Monthly Vaginal Ring May Help Protect Against HIV
- Couples Exposed to Zika Should Wait on Pregnancy
- Male Birth Control: More Options Soon?
- Obese Women on Birth Control Pills May Face Higher Risk of Rare Stroke
- FDA Orders 'Black Box' Warning Label on Essure Long-Acting Contraceptive
- No Link Between 'the Pill' and Birth Defects: Study
- Study Ties Essure Birth Control Implant to Greater Need for Reoperation
- Mouse Study Hints at New 'Male Contraceptive'
- Birth Control Pills May Cut Women's Odds for Uterine Cancer
- Women Spend Far Less on Birth Control Because of 'Obamacare'
- Obese Teens Less Likely to Use Birth Control
- Newer Birth Control Pills May Slightly Raise Blood Clot Risk
- Teen Use of Long-Term Contraception Rising, But Remains Low
- Use of Long-Acting Birth Control Rises Fivefold in a Decade: CDC
- IUDs, Contraceptive Implants Work Longer Than Thought, Researchers Report
- Better Contraceptive Knowledge Can Aid in Safe Use of Acne Drug: Study
- Modern Birth Control Methods Could Avoid 15 Million Unwanted Pregnancies: Report
- Use of 'the Pill' Tied to Higher Risk for Rare Brain Cancer
- The Pill Remains Most Common Method of Birth Control, U.S. Report Shows
- Free, Long-Acting Contraceptives May Greatly Reduce Teen Pregnancy Rate
- The 'Hobby Lobby Ruling' and What It Means for U.S. Health Care
- Majority of Americans Support Obamacare Birth Control Provision: Survey
- Obesity, 'The Pill' May Raise MS Risk, Research Suggests
- Obama Administration Stands by Contraception Rule
- 1 in 3 Young U.S. Women Uses 'Withdrawal' for Birth Control
- White House Unveils Final Plan on Coverage for Contraception
- FDA OKs Sale of 'Morning-After' Pill Without Age Limit
- U.S. Ends Effort to Limit Access to 'Morning-After' Pill
- Court OKs Non-Prescription Sale of Certain 'Morning-After' Pills
- U.S. Teen Birth Rate Plummets: Report
- Low-Dose 'Pill' Linked to Pain During Orgasm, Study Finds
- White House to Challenge Ruling on Unlimited Access to 'Morning-After' Pill
- FDA Approves 'Morning-After' Pill Without a Prescription
- IUDs Safe Contraceptives for Teens, Study Finds
- Judge: Make Morning-After Pill Available to All Females
- Repeat Births by Teen Girls Still Too High: CDC
- Consensual Sex Typically Doesn't Begin Before Teen Years, Study Finds
- Millions Still Lack Access to Modern Contraception, Study Says
- Teen Pregnancy-Prevention Program Works, Study Says
- Use of Morning-After Pill on the Rise: CDC
- Bishops Reject Latest Proposal on Controversial Contraception Mandate
- Obama Administration Revises Controversial Contraception Mandate
- Many Women Victims of 'Contraceptive Sabotage,' Experts Say
- Give Teens Access to Emergency Contraception, Pediatricians Say
- Medical Group: Sell the Pill Without Prescription
- Extra Pounds Linked to Rheumatoid Arthritis Risk in Women
- Mother's Menopause May Influence Her Daughter's Fertility
- Poor Reading Skills Linked to Teen Pregnancy Risk
- Smartphones Linked to Sexual Activity in Teens: Study
- IUDs Increasingly Popular Form of Birth Control
- Vaginal Ring Delivers HIV Drug in Animal Study
- Social Media Could Boost Condom Use, Study Suggests
- Which Birth Control Methods Are Best for Teens?
- 2 in 5 Women Don't Use Birth Control
- Treated Vaginal Ring Prevents HIV in Monkeys
- Health Tip: Am I at Risk for Gallstones?
- Progress Toward Male Birth Control Pill?
- Health Reform: No-Cost Contraception Starts Today
- Teens' Lifestyle Choices Affect Their Blood Pressure
- Gel Shows Promise as Future Male Contraceptive
- Study: Heart Attack, Stroke Risk Low with Birth Control Pills
- Discovery of Gene May Lead to New Male Contraceptive
- IUD Beats Pill at Preventing Pregnancy
- Birth Control Pills, HRT Tied to Digestive Ills
- Blood Clot Risk Linked to Some Non-Pill Contraceptives
- IUDs Work as Emergency Contraceptive: Review
- IUD Use Tied to Modest Weight Loss
- Fewer Teens Are Having Sex
- Health Highlights: May 1, 2012
- Health Tip: Talk to Your Doctor Before You Are Pregnant
- New Warning for Some Birth Control Pills
- Teen Births Hit All-time Low
- Sex Ed Becoming Less Prevalent in Grades 6-12
- Depo-Provera Birth Control Might Raise Breast Cancer Risk
- 1 in 5 Pharmacies Hinders Teens' Access to 'Morning-After' Pill: Study
- College Women's Condom Use Falls in Freshman Year
- Prescription Meds Can Put on Unwanted Pounds
- New Birth Control Pill Recall
- Health Highlights: Feb. 24, 2012
- Condom Knowledge Not Common Knowledge
- Contraceptives Work Well in Obese Women, But Hormone Levels Lower
- New Guidelines to Help Breast Cancer Survivors
- White House Alters Controversial Birth Control Rule
- Health Highlights: Feb. 8, 2012
- 1 Million Birth Control Pill Packs Recalled
- Health Highlights: Jan.30, 2012
- Ultrasound As a Male Contraceptive?
- CDC: Many Teen Moms Didn't Think They Could Get Pregnant
- 'The Pill' Can Help Ease Period Pain, Study Finds
- Endometriosis Tied to Higher Risk of Crohn's, Colitis
- FDA: Stronger Labeling Needed for Newer Contraceptives
- Plan B: Sebelius Overrules FDA, Nixes Sale Without ID
- FDA Panels to Weigh Safety of Newer Forms of the 'Pill'
- New Version of Contraceptive Implant Is Easier to Insert
- Newer 'Pill' May Raise Blood Clot Risk
- More Teen Males Using Condoms When They First Have Sex: Survey
- Recall of Birth Control Pills
- Eating Disorders Affect Fertility, Pregnancy
- No More Co-pay for Birth Control
- Panel: Drop Co-Pay for Women's Birth Control
- FDA Investigates Newer Birth Control Pills
- Serena Williams' Pulmonary Embolism, Hematoma: FAQ
- Birth Control Myths
- Spermicides for Birth Control
- Pregnancy: Home Pregnancy Test Kit Recalled
- Public Health - Top Ten Achievements Of The Century!
- Condom Quiz: How Much Do You Know?
- FDA Strengthens Warning on RU-486
- Stopping Sperm in Their Tracks
- Sexual Infections with Depo Provera?
- Contraceptive: Fake Contraceptive Patches Warning
- FDA Approves First Chewable Oral Contraceptive Tablet
- New Pill, Fewer Periods
- Birth Control Pills & Antibiotics
- Birth Control, Coil Foils Pregnancy
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter