Bipolar disorder and schizophrenia are mental illnesses that share some risk factors and treatments. Symptoms of bipolar disorder include mood changes and manic and depressive episodes. Symptoms of schizophrenia include unusual behavior, delusions, and hallucinations. Read more: Bipolar Disorder vs. Schizophrenia Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Bipolar Disorder (Mania) Quiz: Test Your Emotional Wellness IQ
Who is at risk for developing bipolar disorder? Are you? Take this Bipolar Disorder Quiz to learn more about bipolar disorder, if...
Schizophrenia Quiz: What is Schizophrenia?
Schizophrenia is a complex psychiatric disorder. Learn more about the challenges of mental illness with the Schizophrenia Quiz....
Bipolar Disorder: Symptoms, Testing for Bipolar Depression
Bipolar disorder (once called manic depression) causes extreme mood shifts and can be disorienting. Our experts define bipolar...
Schizophrenia: Symptoms, Types, Causes, Treatment
What is schizophrenia? Learn about schizophrenia symptoms, signs, and treatment. Read about schizophrenia types such as paranoid...
The 18 Most Expensive U.S. Medical Conditions
What are the most expensive medical conditions? Learn about heart conditions, brain disorders, back pain and many more expensive...
Related Disease Conditions
Schizophrenia and Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT)
Second Source article from WebMD...
Schizophrenia is a disabling brain disorder that may cause hallucinations and delusions and affect a person's ability to...
Bipolar disorder (or manic depression) is a mental illness characterized by depression, mania, and severe mood swings. Treatment...
Bipolar Disorder in Children and Teens
Bipolar disorder, or manic-depressive illness, is a disorder that causes unusual and extreme mood changes. Symptoms of bipolar...
Bipolar Disorder vs. Schizophrenia - Experience
Please share your experience with bipolar disorder or schizophrenia.Post
Bipolar Disorder vs. Schizophrenia - Symptoms and Signs
Please describe your bipolar disorder or schizophrenia symptoms and signs.Post
Bipolar Disorder vs. Schizophrenia - Treatment
What treatment have you received for bipolar disorder or schizophrenia?Post
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- bupropion (Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban, Aplenzin, Fortivo XL, Zyban)
- venlafaxine, Effexor XR (Effexor has been discontinued in the US)
- paroxetine, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva
- fluoxetine, Prozac, Sarafem, Prozac Weekly
- risperidone, Risperdal; Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-TAB
- carbamazepine, Tegretol, Tegretol XR , Equetro, Carbatrol, Epitol, Teril
- Zoloft (sertraline)
- lithium, Lithobid
- valproic acid, divalproex, Depakote, Depakote Sprinkle, Depakote ER, Depakene, Depacon, Stavzor
- olanzapine, Zyprexa, Zydis, Zyprexa Relprevv
- citalopram, Celexa
- quetiapine (Seroquel, Seroquel XR)
- lamotrigine, Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR
- ziprasidone (Geodon)
- Lexapro (escitalopram)
- aripiprazole (Abilify, Abilify Maintena, Aristrada)
- duloxetine, Cymbalta
- desvenlafaxine (Pristiq, Khedezla)
- vortioxetine (Trintellix - formerly known as Brintellix)
- lurasidone hydrochloride (Latuda)
- asenapine (Saphris)
- paliperidone palmitate (Invega Trinza)
- paliperidone palmitate (Invega Sustenna)
- paliperidone (Invega)
- brexpiprazole (Rexulti)
- iloperidone (Fanapt)
- Anxiolytics (for Anxiety) Drug Class Side Effects
- Cholinesterase Inhibitors (Side Effects, Uses, Interactions)
Prevention & Wellness
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter