Bipolar disorder and schizophrenia are mental illnesses that share some risk factors and treatments. Symptoms of bipolar disorder include mood changes and manic and depressive episodes. Symptoms of schizophrenia include unusual behavior, delusions, and hallucinations. Read more: Bipolar Disorder vs. Schizophrenia Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Schizophrenia: Symptoms, Types, Causes, Treatment
What is schizophrenia? Learn about schizophrenia symptoms, signs, and treatment. Read about schizophrenia types such as paranoid...
Bipolar Disorder (Mania) Quiz: Test Your Emotional Wellness IQ
Who is at risk for developing bipolar disorder? Are you? Take this Bipolar Disorder Quiz to learn more about bipolar disorder, if...
Schizophrenia Quiz: What is Schizophrenia?
Schizophrenia is a complex psychiatric disorder. Learn more about the challenges of mental illness with the Schizophrenia Quiz....
Bipolar Disorder: Symptoms, Testing for Bipolar Depression
Bipolar disorder (once called manic depression) causes extreme mood shifts and can be disorienting. Our experts define bipolar...
Related Disease Conditions
Schizophrenia is a disabling brain disorder that may cause hallucinations and delusions and affect a person's ability to...
Schizophrenia and Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT)
Second Source article from WebMD...
Bipolar disorder (or manic depression) is a mental illness characterized by depression, mania, and severe mood swings. Treatment...
Bipolar Disorder in Children and Teens
Bipolar disorder, or manic-depressive illness, is a disorder that causes unusual and extreme mood changes. Symptoms of bipolar...
Bipolar Disorder vs. Schizophrenia - Experience
Please share your experience with bipolar disorder or schizophrenia.Post
Bipolar Disorder vs. Schizophrenia - Symptoms and Signs
Please describe your bipolar disorder or schizophrenia symptoms and signs.Post
Bipolar Disorder vs. Schizophrenia - Treatment
What treatment have you received for bipolar disorder or schizophrenia?Post
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Lexapro (escitalopram)
- citalopram, Celexa
- Zoloft (sertraline)
- aripiprazole (Abilify, Abilify Maintena, Aristrada)
- venlafaxine, Effexor XR (Effexor has been discontinued in the US)
- duloxetine, Cymbalta
- bupropion, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban, Aplenzin
- fluoxetine, Prozac, Sarafem, Prozac Weekly
- quetiapine (Seroquel, Seroquel XR)
- paroxetine, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva
- risperidone, Risperdal; Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-TAB
- lamotrigine, Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR
- valproic acid, divalproex, Depakote, Depakote Sprinkle, Depakote ER, Depakene, Depacon, Stavzor
- olanzapine, Zyprexa, Zydis, Zyprexa Relprevv
- carbamazepine, Tegretol, Tegretol XR , Equetro, Carbatrol, Epitol, Teril
- desvenlafaxine (Pristiq, Khedezla)
- lithium, Lithobid
- ziprasidone (Geodon)
- lurasidone hydrochloride (Latuda)
- brexpiprazole (Rexulti)
- vortioxetine (Trintellix - formerly known as Brintellix)
- paliperidone (Invega)
- Anxiolytics (for Anxiety) Drug Class Side Effects
- asenapine (Saphris)
- paliperidone palmitate (Invega Sustenna)
- iloperidone (Fanapt)
- paliperidone palmitate (Invega Trinza)
Prevention & Wellness
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter