Bipolar disorder, or manic-depressive illness, is a disorder that causes unusual and extreme mood changes. Symptoms of bipolar disorder in children and teens include having trouble concentrating, behaving in risky ways, and losing interest in activities they once enjoyed. Treatment for bipolar disorder in children and teenagers incorporates psychotherapy and medications. Read more: Bipolar Disorder in Children and Teens Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Bipolar Disorder (Mania) Quiz: Test Your Emotional Wellness IQ
Who is at risk for developing bipolar disorder? Are you? Take this Bipolar Disorder Quiz to learn more about bipolar disorder, if...
Depression Quiz: Signs & Symptoms
Many people do not recognize the symptoms and warning signs of depression and depressive disorders in children and adults. With...
Happiness Quiz: Positive Attitude
Take the Happiness Quiz! Plenty of people live in pleasant, fulfilling satisfaction. Is it sex or money that factors into happier...
Bipolar Disorder: Symptoms, Testing for Bipolar Depression
Bipolar disorder (once called manic depression) causes extreme mood shifts and can be disorienting. Our experts define bipolar...
Related Disease Conditions
Mania vs. Hypomania
Mania is an episode of irritable or euphoric mood and heightened energy that typically lasts a week and severely affects the...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Alcohol and Teens
Alcohol is the most frequently used drug by American teenagers. Teens that drink are more likely to drive under the influence,...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Mental Illness in Children
About 5 million children and adolescents in the U.S. suffer from a serious mental illness such as eating disorders, anxiety...
Bipolar disorder (or manic depression) is a mental illness characterized by depression, mania, and severe mood swings. Treatment...
Suicide is the process of intentionally ending one's own life. Approximately 1 million people worldwide commit suicide each year,...
Childhood ADD or ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Children)
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) causes the following symptoms in children: excessive activity, problems...
Drug addiction is a chronic disease that causes drug-seeking behavior and drug use despite negative consequences to the user and...
Depression in Children
Childhood depression can interfere with social activities, interests, schoolwork and family life. Symptoms and signs include...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Compulsive gambling is a disorder that affects millions in the U.S. Symptoms and signs include a preoccupation with gambling,...
Dysthymia is a less severe form of chronic depression. Symptoms and signs include insomnia, suicidal thoughts, guilt, empty...
Separation anxiety disorder is a common childhood anxiety disorder that has many causes. Infants, children, older kids and adults...
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Bipolar Disorder vs. Schizophrenia
Bipolar disorder and schizophrenia are mental illnesses that share some risk factors and treatments. Symptoms of bipolar disorder...
Most often, caregivers take care of other adults who are ill or disabled. Less often, caregivers are grandparents raising their...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Antidepressants (Depression Medications)
- Sertraline (Zoloft)
- Anxiolytics (for Anxiety) Drug Class Side Effects
- valproic acid, divalproex, Depakote, Depakote Sprinkle, Depakote ER, Depakene, Depacon, Stavzor
- aripiprazole (Abilify, Abilify Maintena, Aristrada)
- Phenothiazine Antipsychotics
- risperidone, Risperdal; Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-TAB
- fluoxetine, Prozac, Sarafem, Prozac Weekly
- paroxetine (Paxil, Pexeva)
- olanzapine, Zyprexa, Zydis, Zyprexa Relprevv
- lamotrigine, Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR
- quetiapine (Seroquel, Seroquel XR)
- lithium, Lithobid
- ziprasidone (Geodon)
- lurasidone hydrochloride (Latuda)
- asenapine (Saphris)
Prevention & Wellness
- Time Change Tougher for Kids With Mental Health Issues
- Green Space Good for Your Child's Mental Health
- Infections in the Young May Be Tied to Risk for Mental Illness: Study
- Mental Health and College Students
- More Evidence Video Games May Trigger Aggression in Kids
- Growing Up Poor May Permanently Damage Thinking Skills
- Many Foster Kids Inappropriately Prescribed Psych Drugs
- Does Mental Illness Raise Diabetes Risk?
- Parents Must Ask: 'Is There an Unlocked Gun in Your House?'
- Compulsive Video Gaming a Mental Health Condition: WHO
- Kids With Bipolar Disorder More Likely to Abuse Drugs, Alcohol: Study
- Bipolar Diagnosis May Take Up to 6 Years
- Study Links Child Abuse, Neglect to Earlier Onset of Bipolar Disorder
- Standby Drug for Adult Bipolar Disorder May Be Safe, Effective in Children
- Anesthetic Shows Promise for Bipolar Disorder
- Birth Defects Linked to Valproic Acid
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter