Patient Comments: Bipolar Disorder - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with your bipolar disorder? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Pam372, Published: November 13

I am a 45 year old woman and I have had 2 liver biopsies and they both are inconclusive. I am between autoimmune hepatitis and primary biliary cholangitis (PBC), with doctors leaning more towards PBC. I started seeing a liver specialist about a year ago. It just seems that no one has ever dealt with PBC in my area, which is frustrating. I am being treated for PBC with 1200 mg of Urso a day. After reading through these comments, it seems that we all have the same thing going on. I see there are stages and I am unsure of where I am. I am still somewhat new to this, but tried to get a life insurance policy in 2010 and it showed elevated enzymes. As of 10/27/17, my ALT was 108 (9/20/17 - 210), AST 113 (was 241), and alkaline phosphatase was 356 (compared to 567 in September). I have massive itching episodes right now. I have tried 4 of the 5 medicines for itching and it seems that nothing is working. I'm to the point to where I want to just take all my skin off. Fatigue is just another paragraph on its own. Basically the same as everyone else.

Comment from: jessie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I was chasing my niece around the couch when I lost my balance and before I hit the floor I tried to catch myself ramming my pinky finger into the couch. It bruised up for a month or two and now the bruising is gone but in the mornings my finger is constricted closed and it is getting harder every day to get it to open.

Comment from: chistletoe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 25

No doctor, therapist, hospital, or medication ever helped me at all, although I suffered their treatments for over 40 years and spent several hundred thousand dollars on them. The stigma is more harmful than the illness. The medicines have left my body permanently damaged, but fortunately not too severely. Many years ago I decided to take charge of my own life, to take responsibility for my own actions and feelings, no matter what they might be. No one around me now would ever suspect that I had ever been regarded as "crazy".

Comment from: Are, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I have been diagnosed with bipolar since i was 11 I have tried several times to kill myself. In and out of hospitals. The thing that I struggle with is there are no doctors and I'm not sure if I'm even taking the right medication and I always have a hard time getting my meds because of the lack of doctors here get angry when people say it's all in your head get over it. It is an unbalance in your brain at least that's my understanding. I have been in counseling, treatment. I have done everything that I can think of and look at me today still the same just learning to cope with it.

Comment from: sonam, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 27

A patient having fever took Calpol and after 4 hours she found her skin was damaged and her skin was coming off when touched. She had severe headache and fever.

Comment from: Drysie1169, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

Right now I am not feeling the symptoms of bipolar disorder, feeling down, depressed, suicidal, anxieties, homicidal; my life is going wonderful! I am working a full-time job in the career that I wanted, which is the restaurant business.

Comment from: RudeGirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I have bipolar 1, PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder), and high anxiety with no support system. I have been on everything under the sun. I have been done for a long time now. I'm reckless with my wellbeing. I found online about ECT (electroconvulsive therapy) and it's my last hope now. I am disabled.

Comment from: mslainey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I have been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder just over 6 years ago. I sure wish that I had been diagnosed earlier in life, it would have made a major difference in my life. But I struggle with depression, some days it's difficult to get out of the bed. My husband travels a lot and I am alone a lot (not healthy), but I try my hardest to use self-talk and I have a small business that I am trying to grow. Living with bipolar disorder is no joke! I have never had suicidal ideations, I just would never hurt myself or my family in that way. But I struggle with this illness in ways that most people just don"t understand. I wish I didn"t have this disorder, but there are things that are worse than living with bipolar disorder that many people have to deal with daily.

Comment from: Liasis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I'm bipolar, mixed states. It started in my teens, my best friend and I often talked about death, I had severe depression. My mom had told me she was schizophrenic when I was young, she horribly abused me and my brothers. Fortunately, it had the effect of making me desire to never ever abuse my own kids. Memories of being tied to a chair so I'd eat, lying on a bed with blood pouring down my throat from being slapped, finding my mother (I was 8) after a suicide attempt. I never abused my kids, though I had horrible rages which I took out on things I didn't care about. I abused cocaine 12 years, then went on antidepressants. Currently untreated due to neuroleptic malignant syndrome 7 years ago.

What Is Bipolar Disorder?
Comment from: 6catsue, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I get very high moods, and set multiple high goals, and have optimistic hopes, don't sleep so much because I feel so high being awake most of the night. Then I start declining into a disabling depression after a period of a couple of months maybe. I lose my energy, lose interest in things, lose hope, get irritable, lay around, and don't feel like doing anything.

Comment from: Angelique, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I am 16 turning 17 in April this year. Last year I was told I have bipolar depression. My mom thinks I should just take my pills and get over it. The last few days have been so bad that I don't want to leave bed. I have been crying my eyes out. My family has been pushing me. They don't understand me. No one does. I put on a smile just to pretend I'm okay when I'm actually not. I hate my life. So many times I have thought of suicide, but then what does it bring me? Absolutely nothing. I'm sick and tired of everything. It doesn't even feel like my medications are working for me.

Comment from: Disguise, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I am bipolar. I have good days and bad days. Bad days I am irritable, sad, can stay in bed days on end -- never wanting to leave the bed, yet alone the house. Personal hygiene is a chore for me on these days. I go to counseling, medication, exercise. Prayer helps me a lot. I have good days as well days where I am active. I force a smile most days and this drains me. I stay strong for my children because they need me. I had one stay in the hospital and I make an effort not to go back. On bad days I tell my children I am sick and my 7 year old will give me a hug and tell me he loves me, which gets me to my next day. My children have my back and I have theirs. I work, am active in the church, and my kids are active. I am a football, basketball, and dance mom. I am an ear to most of my friends because everyone thinks I am so strong, but behind closed doors I am bipolar.

Comment from: kymm, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I experience anger and depression.

Comment from: Matt, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

For those of you suffering with bipolar disorder, just stick with your medications and in time it will work out. I was told that I had it when I was 22. I'm now 28 and I've been taking my medications and I have really noticed a difference on how I feel. You will still have your good days and bad days, just not as intense.

Comment from: harmony, 75 or over Female Published: December 22

As a black American woman I am so tired of every problem whether mental or physical is given to blacks. This is definitely not true. There are more than likely more whites who suffer from this disorder but reporting will not reveal it. Instead reporting likes to project everything on blacks and i am tired of it.

Comment from: Pauline, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 02

I am concerned that my 17 (soon to be 18) year old daughter is extremely bipolar. She also has a very violent temper, destroying things in the house, throwing and breaking things. I cannot seem to reason with her in anyway, she is also very lazy. I have been a single parent since day one, and she takes everything I do for granted. I work multiple jobs and she continues to demand more. Her bathroom and bedroom are totally trashed. When she looks for things in the house, if something falls out of a drawer or she moves things, she never picks up or puts things back. She is constantly fighting with me and her boyfriend. Vulgar language and destructive behavior - I am at my ropes end with her. She just graduated from high school, she is very bright but has no concern to move on. She claims she knows that she needs a job, but yet she puts forth no effort. And I am the blame for everything. I am tired of walking on egg shells in my own house, but I am worried that if I kick her out to get on her own, something bad will happen.

Comment from: Jessica, 65-74 Female Published: May 12

My husband lost his job April 2008 and with that health insurance. I just stopped taking my medications for my bipolar and have been up and down for 3 years now. It is so hard to live my life but I have to for my kids 10 and 11 years old. I stay in my house to be safe when I leave my husband is with me to protect me from my bipolar.

What Is Bipolar Disorder?

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter