Patient Comments: Bipolar Disorder - Causes and Risks

Were you at risk for developing bipolar disorder? Please share your story. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: kimcon22000, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

I am a mental health therapist who has suffered from depression since I was a child. In 1973, there were no bipolar or manic depressive disorders. So I was prescribed Ritalin and diagnosed as ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder). My mother said it helped greatly in my behaviors and concentration span. In my early 20s I was diagnosed as depressed and took (and still take) 200 mg of sertraline daily. This is what is strange; last year I was diagnosed as bipolar. Against current medical literature, my depression manifested itself into bipolar disorder. I have been on clonazepam 3, trazodone, Zoloft and oxcarbazepine 3 daily. This cocktail has worked minimally and now I will throw Seroquel into the mix. I'd love to try Abilify as to what I have read from others, yet the expense! I may have to. Good luck to all and never give up.

What Is Bipolar Disorder?

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter