Patient Comments: Bipolar Disorder (Mania) - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your bipolar disorder (mania)? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: derrick, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 28

I'm a 39 year old father of two. Although I've only just properly understood what mental health is, I've experienced anxiety and depression my entire life it seems, which has been further complicated by the suspected Asperger's (high functioning autism) and ADHD (attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder) that I'm halfway through diagnosis for. I've lived a very confused existence because of my bipolar disorder, not truly knowing who I am and being very insecure about why I feel and act the way I do. I've been addicted to most drugs and alcohol, I've also had problems with overeating and binging whether it be with substances or food. I have physical health problems caused by my binge drinking and unhealthy lifestyle. I'm now totally free of these addictions and my liver has started to reverse. Over the years I've had serious accidents, fights, lost jobs, fallen out with countless people and had problems integrating into society and dealing with life as a whole. Throughout most of my existence I've always preferred to be isolated and away from society, as a coping mechanism for my insecurities and mainly because I tend not to get into misunderstandings when I'm on my own. In 2014 I started a painful journey to the present day which ultimately ended in destruction of everything I cared about. During this time I had several breakdowns and became unable to communicate, which resulted in self-referring myself to my general physician for help to find out why I wasn't coping. This then led me on the path to the present day with over 30 hours of counselling and 12 separate consultations later, I'm finally starting to get the answers to what has been going on in my life and giving me closure on many things I've lived a life of confusion about. Ironically, I now feel the best I've ever felt about myself but have been left with a total mess of a life to look back and reflect on, with plenty of confusion and an inability to function some days. Since December 2016, I have totally transformed my life in many areas that were causing me serious struggles before. Talking is key, I cannot emphasize this enough. If I'd been able to talk years ago I wouldn't have needed to suffer and nor would the people around me.

Comment from: Bipolar Disorder, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

Aged sixty-three, I am a patient of GAD (generalized anxiety disorder), major depression, panic disorder, anxiety disorder, migraine, phobia, insomnia, manic and bipolar disorder. For ten years, I have taken lorazepam, Librium, escitalopram, lots of alprazolam, Libotryp, quetiapine, sertraline, venlafaxine, mirtazapine, amitriptyline and nortriptyline. I am a diabetic and I also suffer from hyperdyslipidemia. During the period, I lacked minimum energy and remained confined to bed most of the time. Since the cause was exogenous more than endogenous and there was no change in the causes, I have now given up taking drugs. I only take sertraline 50mg, Ativan 2mg, mirtazapine 15mg and Librium 25 mg, one each before dinner. I feel better now.

Comment from: Mrytle, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I am 66 years old and became ill with bipolar in 1973. While raising my children I had many depressions and two psychotic breaks when I had to be hospitalized. However I was not given the diagnosis of bipolar until 1987. There were few effective medications available back then. One hospital I was in (1977) did not believe in giving medications at all. Since 2000 I have been fairly stable with minimum drugs of Depakote, Lamictal, Remeron and Ativan for sleep. I have had a lot of therapy by way of group and individual.

Comment from: benny81530, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have bipolar disorder that has controlled my life for many years. I did many things that were risky and out of control. In the last year, I have gotten it under control. The main thing I did to change it was to quit taking Klonopin, as it only added to my manic episodes. I did this by myself. Soon after I quit taking it, I began to realize that I had to get my bipolar mania under control. My doctor gave me Geodon along with my other medications, and it has worked well. I now take lithium 300 mg, two times a day; trazadone 100 mg, two times a day; Geodon 80 mg, three times a day; and Effexor 150 mg, once a day. For more than a year now, I have been feeling real good with no manic episodes. I take my medications faithfully and continue to see my doctor every month. Whatever you do, don't stop taking your medication thinking that you don't need it.

Comment from: james, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I have been on Invega Sustenna medication for 6 months and feel suicidal and high anxiety. I have bipolar and am being treated for schizophrenia, nurses think another medication is going to make me better when the medication I am on now is wrong for me. There are too many side effects so I am going off my medicines, this will make me feel better. I like it better being in a mania than having these side effects, doctors do not care what they give you as long as you do not cause trouble. They don"t care if I feel awful, but I do, so I am stopping the medications.

Comment from: justadad, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 11

Hi Confused, I just read this today. I hope you are still following this site. I feel some of your helplessness. Hang in there! We have someone in our family about your age with bipolar disorder, who is also getting angrier. I only have some suggestions you"ve probably read a million times, regular rest, eat healthy and exercise. Please don"t use cannabis. It won"t help. Also if you could get some thorough testing on blood, all those pH balances, amino acids and all that stuff. Maybe there is a clue in there somewhere. You"re not alone.

Comment from: dma318, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 18

I have bi-polar disorder. I have been on so many different pills I can't count anymore. I was on Abilify and was doing wonderful. Then my insurance wouldn't pay for it anymore without prior approval. So now we just try the Zoloft.

Comment from: Yahoo, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 01

Bipolar disorder is only helped if you get a functional MD to test for your body's imbalances and your amino acid deficiencies. My wife was diagnosed as bipolar and we found out she was lacking five amino acids and three were below normal. She has been drug free for three years now, but she is on an amino acid supplement mixture that is formulated just for her. It is working well. She also has 83 food allergies that also have an effect on her emotions. We found all of this out when she was diagnosed with an H. pylori infection. If you have bipolar disorder, get tested to see what your body is lacking because all the drugs that are mood stabilizers don't work. They are just a band aid they will work sometimes but you will have to change meds just like a band aid. The meds would help my wife for a few months and then they would stop working. She was on every one out there. After realizing the facts we had to fix the problem and stop using band aid drugs.

Comment from: confused, 25-34 Female Published: October 15

I am a 28 yr old female I am manic depressive, bipolar, PSTD, and syncopic (I hear voices) my anger has been getting worse harder to face everyday I need help pills don't help I am a self medicator I smoke cannabis. I can't function I have started to have panic attacks more often than ever before I am become more afraid and more angry as I get older The most recent med. I was given was Remeron 30 MG at night it only helped for about 3 weeks then I was back where I started I just want to be normal I feel like such an outsider even with my own friends more and more what can I do?

Comment from: cvxtxmn, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

For my bipolar disorder, I take 500 mg of Depakote twice a day, Lithium twice a day, one Ambien at bedtime, Lamictal once a day, and Dextroamphetamine twice a day, which is a concentration enabler. I have very angry moments for two to three days at home when I am with my wife, but away, I seem manageable. I have a very high sex drive that led to an affair, which was the biggest mistake ever.

Comment from: Tdevost, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was prescribed Abilify (5 mg) for my bipolar disorder. It has worked tremendously for me! I have not experienced any side affects, which is great. I also take Zoloft (150 mg) and Wellbutrin (300 mg).

Comment from: rylansmama, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I realized I had bipolar disorder when my son was about 6 months old. I was feeling very good at the time, able to accomplish so much. I slept little and still had so much energy. My mind was constantly going. I would get upset easily at my husband for small things. I finally was reading an article about bipolar and what the symptoms were. I recognized that this was me. I went to my doctor, and that began my search for the right medication to help me be balanced. I realized that the really good feeling would not last forever, and I would crash into a deep depression that I had experienced in the past. I knew I wouldn't be able to care for my son if I was that depressed again, so I wanted to treat this to stay as healthy as possible. I tried different things, but eventually a psychiatrist prescribed Lamictal and Lexapro. I have been taking my medications for five years, and I can definitely see a big difference.

Comment from: bettyc , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I have Manic Depressive Bi-Polar and severe anxiety! I just started taking the Zyprexa along with all my other medications---Zyprexa 10 mg before bed--Klonopin 1mg 4 times per day---Wellbutrin 300 mg. 1 time a day---Wellbutrin 150 mg. 1 time per day---Lithium 300 mg 2 times a day and the Zyprexa 10 mg at bedtime. I am feeling better it seems since I have been on Zyprexa combined with my other meds. It's difficult to explain mental illness to someone who has never experienced it. I had it all my life. You wouldn't even know it, if you saw me and spoke to me. Maybe you would if I wasn't on my meds from my psychiatrist who I see along with a Therapist once every 2 months for about 5 or 6 years now. I can't give up on myself; I am 51 years old with 2 grown children and 3 grandchildren. But it can at times be so very, very disabling, you must seek good help and take your meds correctly, if you feel the same or better always tell your psychiatrist!

Comment from: Paula, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

Lithicarb and Zyprexa seem to keep me stable with my bipolar disorder. I have had four times in hospital over 23 years.

Comment from: silkclay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I have been bipolar or formally known as manic depressive since 1979. There have been many drugs and many treatments along the way. Now they have it almost right. I have been on Depakote, Xanax and Seroquel for quite some time. I am now looking for a new antidepressant medication.

Comment from: emrt164, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 23

My nine year old son was diagnosed as bipolar a little over a year ago. His pediatrician first diagnosed him as ADHD and prescribed Concerta. This made the mood swings 100 times worse. I requested a referral to a psychiatrist. My son was immediately put on Lamictal which seemed to help for a while but gradually stopped working. We added Zoloft which seemed to help but made him very sleepy and inattentive. We have been on Abilify 5mg and Prozac 10mg for well over 6 months and it has made a tremendous difference. The Prozac was also making him sleepy in the afternoons so we changed to taking it at night and that seems to have done the trick. But all in all Abilify seems to have have it under control... it is definitely a miracle drug.

Comment from: stephypants, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I have recently been diagnosed with Cyclothymic disorder. For the past 10 years I thought I was just flat out bipolar. Either way, I found a medication that works wonders! No weight gain, none of the side effects other meds give. It is called Abilify. It is very expensive if one does not have insurance though. But it works, and you will be able to notice the difference within 2-4 days. I have the worst issue with weight. Since I started Abilify I went from 140 lbs. to 120 lbs. with healthy eating and 30 min. of cardio per day. I have kept it off. This truly is the miracle pill.

Comment from: qwerty, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I have been up and down for years and in lots of trouble in one way or another. On the flip side I have a lovely home and two brilliant well grounded kids. It is like living a double life in lots of ways. I am a loving devoted father that runs a very profitable business dealing with people on a day to day business. Outsiders think you are doing well. Inside I feel lonely, that I am on my own. A lot of times I feel like a tramp, a loser. No one else understands. I have been on Sertraline for about 3 months but my lifestyle has not changed and I don't really know if it's working. What I did do, was had a holiday in Majorca last week and I have got to tell it felt so good to drop the norm, and then again, I suppose that's what holidays are for.

Published: June 13

My bipolar depression, which I have had since age 11 has been treated the best with Seroquel 300 mg 2 at bedtime. Trazodone 300 mg at bedtime, Trileptal 300 mg at bedtime, and Topamax 200 mg in the morning. I t took a while to figure out the perfect cocktail of meds but for the past several years it has worked extremely well. I also found going thru menopause made it difficult to establish a consistency with my meds. I now feel great.

Comment from: butderflies, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I am a 35 year old mom whom works full time. I suffered a terrible child and adult life. I was placed on lithium, and did wonderful. So I thought it was "gone.” I stopped taking it. I did alright for a while. Then I recently noticed it was back. I know that it really will be with me the rest of my life. I am back on lithium, life is back on track.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

We realized I was bipolar after I was put on Paxil for depression (I'd been cutting and my parents found out). Sure enough the Paxil made me go suicidal and my mom decided to pull strings. She got me and appointment to see the best psychologist around (wait list 3 years, I got in 3 weeks). I'm on 500 mg of Depakote twice a day, take one omega Brite capsule in the morning 2 at night Lamictal in the morning. Vitamin B6 and some others I forget.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I have been on so many medications for my bi polar I was on Adderall for ADD that helped for a while, but it made me manic, so I now take Klonopin and Geodon and Trazodone and Clonidine for my Tourette syndrome they seem to have me under control, but I take them exactly as prescribed.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 10

My wife had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and manic depression. Which I now realize are the same thing. I love her very much. She had been in in-patient treatment twice and this last time they put her on Geodon. It had made her more manic than ever before. We are going to MHMR today and see if they can help. It is getting to where I don't know how to act around her. She seems to go off about the smallest thing. I am not very computer savvy and I don't know how I would go about finding a chat room for people in our situation.

Comment from: heatherjo1972, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I'm a 35yr old female who has had bipolar disorder for years now. At one time I was so over medicated that my husband now doesn't want me to take meds. I take Xanax 3 times a day and that help with anxiety but the manic periods are getting out of control. I have been tried on several medications but without insurance it's so had to get help. I'm loosing my marriage my best friend and my life because of all of this. I had a hysto. 2yrs ago and that doesn't help either. I feel lost.

Comment from: Bahador, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 10

I'm 21 years old, I'm a Bipolar Disorder and it's been 6 years I do treatment under control of a psychiatrist. During that days (except last 3 months) I used Lithium 300 twice a day, Onalnzapyn 10 once a day, chlordiazepoxide 10 twice a day, Lamotrigine 50 once a day, Haloperidol 0.5 once a day. But during these last months I just use Mirtazapine 45mg once a day and Olanzapine 5 once a day.

Comment from: mandy81, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am a 27 year old female who has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I am struggling big time with it and have been for years. I feel like it has taken over my life. I have been in and out of hospitals and treatments and have not yet found anything that works for me. I am currently seeking options on different meds to try as of right now I am taking Prozac and Zyprexa I just started that yesterday so I guess I will give it a try.

Published: July 28

I think my bipolar disorder has been treated best with Lamictal 200mg in the morning, Lexapro 10mg in the morning, and Seroquel 300mg at bedtime. Along with keeping therapy appointments and seeing the psychiatrist, I have found this to be the best for me so far.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter