Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
ADHD/ADD in Adults: Symptoms & Treatments in Pictures
Most people don't associate adults with the term ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) but it is a common disorder in...
Schizophrenia: Symptoms, Types, Causes, Treatment
What is schizophrenia? Learn about schizophrenia symptoms, signs, and treatment. Read about schizophrenia types such as paranoid...
Bipolar Disorder: Symptoms, Testing for Bipolar Depression
Bipolar disorder (once called manic depression) causes extreme mood shifts and can be disorienting. Our experts define bipolar...
Bipolar Disorder (Mania) Quiz: Test Your Emotional Wellness IQ
Who is at risk for developing bipolar disorder? Are you? Take this Bipolar Disorder Quiz to learn more about bipolar disorder, if...
Depression Quiz: Signs & Symptoms
Many people do not recognize the symptoms and warning signs of depression and depressive disorders in children and adults. With...
Happiness Quiz: Positive Attitude
Take the Happiness Quiz! Plenty of people live in pleasant, fulfilling satisfaction. Is it sex or money that factors into happier...
Related Disease Conditions
Genetic Disease (List, Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, Prognosis)
The definition of a genetic disease is a disorder or condition caused by abnormalities in a person's genome. Some types of...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Suicide is the process of intentionally ending one's own life. Approximately 1 million people worldwide commit suicide each year,...
Mental illness is any disease or condition affecting the brain that influence the way a person thinks, feels, behaves, and/or...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS or SEID)
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) or systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID) is a debilitating and complex disorder...
Misophonia is defined as the hatred of sound. Symptoms of this condition include a negative emotional response to certain trigger...
Adult ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
About 2%-6% of adults have ADHD, a common behavioral problem. Symptoms include impulsivity, hyperactivity, and inattention....
Panic attacks are sudden feelings of terror that strike without warning. These episodes can occur at any time, even during sleep....
Drug addiction is a chronic disease that causes drug-seeking behavior and drug use despite negative consequences to the user and...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Depression in Children
Childhood depression can interfere with social activities, interests, schoolwork and family life. Symptoms and signs include...
Schizophrenia is a disabling brain disorder that may cause hallucinations and delusions and affect a person's ability to...
Mania vs. Hypomania
Mania is an episode of irritable or euphoric mood and heightened energy that typically lasts a week and severely affects the...
Antisocial Personality Disorder
Antisocial personality disorder (ASPD) has many symptoms, signs, and causes. Therapy is one treatment option for antisocial...
Second Source article from WebMD...
Bipolar II Disorder
Second Source article from WebMD...
Compulsive gambling is a disorder that affects millions in the U.S. Symptoms and signs include a preoccupation with gambling,...
Schizoaffective disorder is a mental illness that features schizophrenia and a mood disorder, either major depression or bipolar...
Second Source article from Government...
Psychotic disorders are a group of serious illnesses that affect the mind. Different types of psychotic disorders include...
Childhood ADD or ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Children)
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) causes the following symptoms in children: excessive activity, problems...
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder that causes a person to suffer repeated obsessions and compulsions....
Second Source article from Government...
Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)
Borderline personality disorder is a serious mental illness characterized by pervasive instability in moods, interpersonal...
Postpartum depression is a form of depression that occurs within a year after delivery. It is thought that rapid hormone changes...
Insomnia (Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Cures)
Insomnia is the perception or complaint of inadequate or poor-quality sleep because of difficulty falling asleep; waking up...
Brief Psychotic Disorder
Brief psychotic disorder is a short-term mental illness that features psychotic symptoms. There are three forms of brief...
Phobias are unrelenting fears of activities (social phobias), situations (agoraphobia), and specific items (arachnophobia). There...
Bipolar Disorder vs. Schizophrenia
Bipolar disorder and schizophrenia are mental illnesses that share some risk factors and treatments. Symptoms of bipolar disorder...
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
Seasonal affective disorder is a type of depression that tends to occur as the days grow shorter in the fall and winter. Symptoms...
Sleep paralysis is a condition that causes a person to feel as if he or she is awake but is unable to move. Lack of sleep, sleep...
Khat (Abyssinian tea, African salad, oat, kat, chat, and catha) is a flowering evergreen shrub native to East Africa and the...
Bipolar Disorder in Children and Teens
Bipolar disorder, or manic-depressive illness, is a disorder that causes unusual and extreme mood changes. Symptoms of bipolar...
Bipolar Disorder (Mania) - Effective Treatments
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your bipolar disorder (mania)?Post View 54 Comments
Bipolar Disorder - Symptoms
What symptoms do you experience with your bipolar disorder?Post View 34 Comments
Bipolar Disorder - Causes and Risks
Were you at risk for developing bipolar disorder? Please share your story.Post View 2 Comments
Bipolar Disorder - Diagnosis
What tests were used to diagnose bipolar disorder in yourself or a relative?Post
Bipolar Disorder - Support
What forms of support have helped you or a relative who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder?Post View 4 Comments
Bipolar Disorder - Types
Describe your type of bipolar disorder, along with your symptoms and treatment.Post View 12 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Psychiatrist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Mood Swings
- Fatigue, Tiredness, and Lethargy
- Difficulty Concentrating
- Altered Mental Status
- Poor Hygiene
- Vocal Outbursts
- Loss of Speech
- Unusual Behavior
- Catatonia (Catatonic Behavior)
- Inability to Regulate Emotions
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Lack of Facial Expressions
- Bipolar Disorder
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Bipolar Disorder, Living With
Medications & Supplements
- Lexapro (escitalopram)
- bupropion (Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban, Aplenzin, Fortivo XL, Zyban)
- Zoloft (sertraline)
- citalopram, Celexa
- duloxetine, Cymbalta
- Antidepressants (Depression Medications)
- venlafaxine, Effexor XR (Effexor has been discontinued in the US)
- fluoxetine, Prozac, Sarafem, Prozac Weekly
- aripiprazole (Abilify, Abilify Maintena, Aristrada)
- Anxiolytics (for Anxiety) Drug Class Side Effects
- ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba, Fossil Tree, Kew Tree, Silver Apricot)
- lithium, Lithobid
- topiramate, Topamax, Qudexy XR, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen, Trokendi XR
- paroxetine, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva
- quetiapine (Seroquel, Seroquel XR)
- risperidone, Risperdal; Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-TAB
- Medicines that Cause Depression
- valproic acid, divalproex, Depakote, Depakote Sprinkle, Depakote ER, Depakene, Depacon, Stavzor
- lamotrigine, Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR
- Phenothiazine Antipsychotics
- doxepin (Sinequan and Adapin are discontinued brand in the US; Silenor)
- olanzapine, Zyprexa, Zydis, Zyprexa Relprevv
- carbamazepine, Tegretol, Tegretol XR , Equetro, Carbatrol, Epitol, Teril
- oxcarbazepine - oral, Trileptal
- ziprasidone (Geodon)
- lurasidone hydrochloride (Latuda)
- brexpiprazole (Rexulti)
- paliperidone (Invega)
- trifluoperazine (Stelazine, discontinued)
- oxcarbazepine suspension - oral, Trileptal
- asenapine (Saphris)
Prevention & Wellness
- Genes May Explain Why Some Don't Respond to Bipolar Drug
- Daily 'Light Therapy' May Help Some With Bipolar Disorder
- Nearly 10 Million U.S. Adults Suffer From Mental Illness
- Heart Risks to Fetus From Bipolar Drug May Be Lower Than Thought
- Chronic Pain Common in Adults With Depression, Anxiety
- What You Need to Know About Antidepressants
- 1st Drug for Tardive Dyskinesia Approved
- Drinking, Drug Abuse Doubles Veterans' Suicide Risk: Study
- Brain Scans May Shed Light on Bipolar Disorder-Suicide Risk
- Many With Mental Illness Miss Out on HIV Tests
- Actress Debbie Reynolds Dies 1 Day After Daughter Carrie Fisher's Death
- Actress Carrie Fisher Dies at 60
- 1 in 6 U.S. Adults Takes a Psychiatric Drug: Study
- Demi Lovato Wants to Change the Face of Mental Illness
- Troubled Childhood May Boost Bipolar Risk: Study
- U.S. Psychiatric Patients Face Long Waits in ERs
- Are Some Blood Pressure Meds Linked to Depression, Bipolar Risk?
- Homeless, Mentally Ill Youth Benefit From Housing Program
- Kids With Bipolar Disorder More Likely to Abuse Drugs, Alcohol: Study
- Bipolar Diagnosis May Take Up to 6 Years
- 'Managing' Elderly Patients Without Powerful Antipsychotics
- Can Comedy Kill?
- Can Trauma Trigger Violent Crime in Mentally Ill?
- Opioid Painkillers Raise Deadly Heart Risks for Some: Study
- Mentally Ill Still Gain Illegal Possession of Guns, Study Shows
- Pain, Epilepsy Drug Lyrica May Increase Birth Defects Risk, Study Suggests
- Lithium Beats Newer Meds for Bipolar Disorder, Study Finds
- Do Genes Help Determine Your Education Level?
- Depressive Episode May Not Always Follow Mania in Bipolar Disorder
- Study Sees No Link Between Common Epilepsy Drug, Certain Birth Defects
- Study Links Child Abuse, Neglect to Earlier Onset of Bipolar Disorder
- Mental Disorders Increasing for Younger Smokers
- Brain Wiring Changes Might Help Guard Against Bipolar Disorder
- ADHD Meds May Raise Risk for Psychotic Side Effects in Some Kids: Study
- Certain Antidepressants May Be Linked to Bipolar Disorder: Study
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids May Play Role in Bipolar Disorder: Study
- Could Your 'Holiday Blues' Be Seasonal Affective Disorder?
- People With Schizophrenia Face Much Higher Risk of Early Death
- Research Gives Clues to Why Some Benefit More From Drug for Bipolar Disorder
- Standby Drug for Adult Bipolar Disorder May Be Safe, Effective in Children
- Vraylar Approved for Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder
- Brain Scans May Take Guesswork Out of Schizophrenia Treatment
- Mentally Ill Inmates Prone to Violence After Release: Study
- Can What You Eat Affect Your Mental Health?
- Omega-3s May Protect Against Psychosis
- Are Too Many Young Americans Getting Antipsychotics for ADHD?
- Brains of Teens With Bipolar Disorder Develop Differently: Study
- Demi Lovato Gets Vocal About Mental Illness
- First Generic Abilify Approved
- 1 in 10 Americans Has Anger Issues and Access to Guns: Survey
- Mental Illness, Homelessness Linked to Heart Disease in Study
- Parent's Suicide Attempt Makes Child's Much More Likely: Study
- Abnormalities Found in Brains of Young Bipolar Patients Who Try Suicide
- When Depression Becomes Deadly
- App for Bipolar Disorder Being Tested
- Scientists Use Stem Cells to Study Bipolar Disorder
- Psychiatric Ills Widespread Among U.S. Soldiers: Studies
- Many Bipolar Patients Take Multiple Psychiatric Meds
- Bipolar Disorder Drug May Need Adjusting in Pregnancy, Study Finds
- Crestor Tops List of Best-Selling Drugs
- Smoking in Pregnancy May Be Tied to Bipolar Disorder in Adult Offspring: Study
- Depression May Be Worse When Accompanied by Anger, Irritability
- Antipsychotic Drugs May Triple Kids' Diabetes Risk, Study Suggests
- Genetic Overlap Seen in Five Mental Disorders
- U.S. Troops' Suicide Risk Tied to Mental Illness, Not Combat: Study
- Bipolar Disorder May Vary Depending on Weight, Eating Disorders
- Mental Illness Can Shorten Lives, Studies Show
- Older, Cheap Drug May Cut Suicide Risk for People With Mood Disorders
- Latest Edition of Psychiatry's 'Bible' Launched Amid Controversy
- Study Sees Link Between Mom's Flu, Bipolar Risk for Children
- Bipolar Disorder Drugs May 'Tweak' Genes Affecting Brain
- Google Search Trends Suggest Mental Woes Vary by Seasons
- Mental Illness a Frequent Cell Mate for Those Behind Bars
- Antipsychotic Drug Use Rising for Kids on Medicaid, Study Finds
- Antipsychotic Meds Not That Helpful for Depression: Study
- Mental Illness May Raise Risk of Being Murdered
- Shared Genes May Link ADHD, Autism and Depression
- Brain Scans Might Help Spot Risk for Bipolar Disorder
- Asperger's and Violence: Experts Weigh In
- Experimental Antidepressant Appears Quick-Acting, Safe
- Mood-Altering Medications Not Overused in Teens
- Long-Term Use of Some Antipsychotics Not Warranted in Older Adults: Study
- Pregnant Women With Bipolar Disorder May Have Higher Risk of Premature Birth
- More Evidence Linking Creativity, Mental Illness
- More U.S. Kids Prescribed Off-Label Antipsychotics: Study
- Could Food Flavors Act Like Mood-Stabilizing Drugs?
- More Kids Taking Antipsychotics for ADHD: Study
- More Drug Trials Needed for Conditions Affecting Kids: Review
- Serious Mental Illness Tied to Higher Cancer, Injury Risk: Studies
- Family History of Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder May Up Kids' Risk for Autism
- Antipsychotic Drugs Linked to Higher Odds for Diabetes in Pregnancy
- Dangerous Rage May Be Common Among U.S. Teens
- Many Primary Care Docs Don't Know Long-Term Effects of Chemo: Survey
- New Clues to Schizophrenia
- Children Usually Excluded From Clinical Drug Trials: Study
- Researchers ID Genes That May Determine Mental Illness
- Prenatal Antipsychotic Drugs Linked to Motor Delays: Study
- 'Parent Training' May Help Kids With Autism Behave Better
- Prescription Meds Can Put on Unwanted Pounds
- Bipolar Drug May Spur Weight Gain, Thyroid Problems: Review
- Study Looks at Deep Brain Stimulation in Bipolar Patients
- Psych Episode Near Childbirth May Presage Bipolar Disorder
- Some Fish Oil Supplements Fishy on Quality
- Bipolar Kids May Focus on Different Facial Features
- Facebook: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- Deadliest Psychiatric Disorder: Anorexia
- FDA Reports Requip, Risperdal Medication Errors
- Study: Mental Health Is Top Concern for Youth
- Study: Low Birth Defect Risk From Newer Epilepsy Drugs
- Catherine Zeta-Jones Treated for Bipolar Disorder
- Treating Depressed Moms Helps Kids' Depression
- Bipolar Disorder Often Untreated
- New Birth Defect Warning for Topamax
- Charlie Sheen Substance Abuse: FAQ
- Antipsychotics in Pregnancy Risky for Newborns
- Study: Newer Antipsychotic Drugs Are Overused
- SAM-e May Boost Effects of Antidepressants
- FDA Warns Lamictal Can Cause Meningitis
- Study: No Proof of Epilepsy Drug Suicide Risk
- Anesthetic Shows Promise for Bipolar Disorder
- Epilepsy Drugs for Bipolar Disorder: Fewer Suicides?
- Bipolar Disorder Might Be Overdiagnosed
- Depression Symptoms in Men
- Rehab's Role in Treating Addiction
- Obesity Linked with Mood and Anxiety Disorders
- Bipolar Disorder
- Suicide: Recognizing the Signs of Suicide
- Dementia Patients On Antipsychotic Meds At Risk
- ADHD or Bipolar Disorder?
- Schizophrenia, Depression & Bipolar Disorder: Gene Hunting
- Bipolar Disorder: Two-Sided Trouble
- Antipsychotic Medications
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter