Patient Comments: Bile Duct Cancer - Stage

What stage is your bile duct cancer? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: MaryD, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I believe my bile duct cancer was stage 1, I was lucky, I really never had the usual symptoms.

Comment from: Em_dreams, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 25

My husband was diagnosed with bile duct cancer (at the head of the pancreas) 2 years ago in September of 2013. We visited 3 very reputable hospitals for opinions and all three agreed that it was inoperable. He had a gastrojejunostomy in February because the tumor had grown enough to pinch the duodenum and he was unable to eat. This surgery has greatly improved his quality of life, but in July we decided to do an alternative treatment called IPT (insulin potentiation therapy). We are presently doing this treatment. We have done 4 out of 10 treatments so far; it is low dose chemotherapy administered after an injection of insulin. He seems to be doing ok. He also has a PTC (percutaneous transhepatic cholangiography) tube to help drain the bile, which we get changed every 4 weeks.

Comment from: Mokhtar, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 09

My father was just diagnosed with cholangiocarcinoma (bile duct cancer). They went in to operate and remove the growth which is extrahepatic, but then once inside, realized they could not remove it. It is slightly entwined with a large group of arteries. We had scans done 5 months ago, but nothing was visible in this area, but now the doctors are saying it is possible to not be visible during the scans due to the location. Upon my own reading and research, I am thinking it may be a little more promising than most other treatments or treatment plans I have read, to possibly try to reduce the size of the growth, possibly via photodynamic therapy, and hopefully get it small enough to remove. I could be way off but I am nervous and want to learn as much as possible and check any potential options and hope for advice from anyone who has been here before or from doctors who may have seen promising results from specific plans of attack.

Comment from: joekar, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 19

My husband passed away with bile duct cancer 10 years ago. We found out on the 17th of November and he passed on the 28th of November. He had some signs mostly pain in his stomach. I didn't know what hit us. Good Luck to everyone.

Comment from: wadih, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I was recently diagnosed with bile duct cancer. At first they thought it was a carcinoid of the liver, where there is a 10 cm tumor, but after biopsy, the diagnosis came back as bile duct cancer and is going to be treated with chemotherapy.

Cancer 101: Cancer Explained