There’s simple science behind weight loss—eat fewer calories than you burn throughout the day. Thus, to lose weight, what you eat throughout your day, and not just breakfast, matters. Eating breakfast with more protein may help you move toward your weight loss goals. Studies have reported that consuming 30 grams of protein at breakfast will keep you satisfied and less hungry throughout the day. The reason this has a positive effect on your weight loss goals is that foods high in protein take longer to digest, unlike traditional breakfast foods that are heavily stuffed with carbohydrates. High-protein breakfasts have several possible benefits for dieters such as they
- Control appetite
- Increase satiety throughout the day
- Help stabilize blood glucose
The trick is choosing foods that add up to a high-protein breakfast. Typical high-protein breakfast foods are eggs, yogurt, milk, cheese and breakfast meats including bacon, ham and smoked salmon. Getting all your protein from just one food is not a great idea and probably not appetizing. Eating four eggs every day isn't advisable either. Eating nothing but high-sodium ham or bacon isn't advisable. Studies have reported that eating breakfasts that include lean meat may be a more efficient way to boost protein. Common healthy breakfast ideas for weight loss may include
- Oatmeal made with fat-free milk and topped with bananas or other fruits
- High fiber (about three to four grams per serving) cereal that’s low in fat and sugar with fat-free natural yogurt, fat-free milk and a piece of fruit
- A healthy breakfast sandwich made with two slices of whole-grain bread, two slices of lean bacon or turkey bacon, tomato, lettuce and low-fat mayo
- Am omelet made with two eggs with mushrooms, peppers and herbs served with a slice of whole-grain toast
- Whole-grain toast with peanut butter and a piece of fruit
- Low-fat smoothie with fat-free milk, fresh or frozen fruit and nonfat yogurt; add a tablespoon of muesli for added fiber
- Poached eggs with spinach and whole-grain toast
- Low- or nonfat yogurt topped with fresh fruit salad and a sprinkle of natural muesli
If you decide to try high protein breakfasts, play around with food combinations on your calorie tracker. You may decide to stick to one easy breakfast or mix it up with three to four options. Keep in mind that it's not just about protein. Barring very low-carb diets, the best breakfast will have some nutritional balance from high-fiber foods such as vegetables, fruits, whole-grain toast or whole-grain cereal.
Should you eat breakfast while on a birth control pill?
Yes, but you need to remember that despite what the evidence suggests, everyone's body is different and may react to the hormones in the birth control pill differently. Many studies have found that some participants lost weight, whereas others gained a few pounds, showing that women may react differently to each type of birth control pill. If you have tried different pills, you may have noticed this yourself. Therefore, side effects cannot be generalized to everyone, including weight gain. However, it is better to be on a good diet and workout regimen while on a birth control pill. To lose weight safely, you cannot ignore these principles.
- Changing living habits
- Drinking plenty of water every day (about six to eight cups)
- Maintaining a regular exercise schedule
- Avoiding oily foods, all types of canned foods, carbonated beverages and alcohol
- Eating a healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Ensuring that you go to bed early and get enough sleep
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Healthy breakfasts (for people who hate breakfast): https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/healthy-breakfasts-recipes/
Top Best Thing to Eat for Breakfast to Lose Weight Related Articles
Are Bananas Good for Weight Loss?Bananas are a widely available, affordable, and versatile fruit that cause weight loss if taken in moderation to lose weight. However, it should be consumed as a snack rather than a full meal. Bananas are loaded with fiber. A crucial component of any weight loss diet is to understand that no single food has the power to make an individual gain or lose weight.
Bad Foods & Weight LossAre you avoiding foods you could be enjoying as you try to lose weight? Get the skinny on "bad" foods like potatoes, cheese, and even chocolate that could help you drop some pounds.
Fast Food BreakfastNo matter which fast-food chain you visit, high-fat and high-calorie breakfast choices abound. But healthier fast-food menu options do exist. See some of the best and worst foods at several major chains.
Is Coconut Milk Good for Weight Loss?Coconut milk is a milky white fluid that is extracted from the flesh of mature coconuts. It has a slightly sweet and nutty taste that is liked by many. Coconut milk is one of the most preferred non-dairy milk substitutes, such as soy milk and almond milk.
Boost Your MetabolismLosing weight by increasing your metabolism is challenging. There are many metabolism myths and only a few surefire tricks to get your body to shed unwanted pounds. Learn whether caffeine, water, weight lifting, or anything else can be useful in boosting metabolism for weight loss.
How to Lose Weight Fast: Easy Weight Loss TipsHere are the best ways to lose weight. From calories to fitness, learn these weight loss tips and win your battle with losing weight.
Weight Loss QuizAre you trying to lose weight? Take this quiz to see what you can add to routine to get on the right track for results!