The best fruits for lowering blood pressure include citrus fruits, berries, bananas, pomegranates, prunes, and melons. Read more: What Are the Best Fruits for Lowering Blood Pressure? Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
What Is High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)? Symptoms, Treatments
What causes high blood pressure (hypertension)? What is normal blood pressure? Know the warning signs and symptoms of high blood...
High-Fiber Super Foods: Whole Grains, Fruits, & More
Learn about high-fiber foods. From fresh fruits to whole grains, these fiber-rich foods can lower cholesterol, prevent...
Hypertension: What High Blood Pressure Can Do to Your Body
High blood pressure puts you at risk for a number of other conditions. Here's what to look out for.
Juice Wars: Best and Worst Vegetable and Fruit Juices
Although the best kinds of juice deliver a bounty of vitamins, the worst are hardly better than liquid candy. Learn to...
Diet and Nutrition: Which Fruits Are Highest and Lowest in Sugar?
Sugar content in fruit varies. High-sugar fruits include mangoes, pears, grapes, cherries, bananas, figs, and watermelon....
How to Lower Blood Pressure: Exercise and Tips
Trying to lower high blood pressure (hypertension)? Discover exercises good for lowering blood pressure, along with other...
Hypertension: 15 Surprising Things That Raise Your Blood Pressure
Salt, worry, and anger aren't the only things that can raise your blood pressure. Risk factors like loneliness and birth control...
What Are Normal Blood Pressure Ranges by Age For Men and Women?
What is normal, low and high blood pressure? Find charts of blood pressure readings and ranges for men and women of different...
11 Exotic Fruits You Should Try
Exotic fruits like acai, guava, and papaya are loaded with vitamins and other nutrients. Learn when these exotic fruits are ripe,...
Raw or Cooked? Get the Most Out of Fruits and Veggies
Certain cooking methods unlock more nutrients in fruits and vegetables. And, raw produce has its benefits. Here are some tips to...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Quiz: Symptoms, Signs & Causes
Take this quiz and test your IQ of high blood pressure (hypertension), the cardiovascular disease that causes most strokes and...
Picture of Blood Pressure
The blood pressure is the pressure of the blood within the arteries. See a picture of Blood Pressure and learn more about the...
Diet and Nutrition: Low-Carb Fruits
Yes, fruit has carbs. It also provides vitamins your body needs. Don’t skip it: Learn how to make every carb count.
Related Disease Conditions
How Can I Lower My Blood Pressure in Minutes?
Learn how to lower your high blood pressure quickly and how to better manage this condition.
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
High blood pressure (hypertension) is a disease in which pressure within the arteries of the body is elevated. About 75 million people in the US have hypertension (1 in 3 adults), and only half of them are able to manage it. Many people do not know that they have high blood pressure because it often has no has no warning signs or symptoms. Systolic and diastolic are the two readings in which blood pressure is measured. The American College of Cardiology released new guidelines for high blood pressure in 2017. The guidelines now state that blood normal blood pressure is 120/80 mmHg. If either one of those numbers is higher, you have high blood pressure. The American Academy of Cardiology defines high blood pressure slightly differently. The AAC considers 130/80 mm Hg. or greater (either number) stage 1 hypertension. Stage 2 hypertension is considered 140/90 mm Hg. or greater. If you have high blood pressure you are at risk of developing life threatening diseases like stroke and heart attack.REFERENCE: CDC. High Blood Pressure. Updated: Nov 13, 2017.
What Is Considered Stroke-Level High Blood Pressure?
Blood pressure readings above 180/120 mmHg are considered stroke-level and require immediate medical attention. Check out the center below for more medical references on hypertension, including multimedia (slideshows, images, and quizzes), related diseases, treatment, diagnosis, medications, and prevention or wellness.
Things to Know About High Blood Pressure Treatment
High blood pressure (hypertension) means high pressure (tension) in the arteries. Treatment for high blood pressure include lifestyle modifications (alcohol, smoking, coffee, salt, diet, exercise), drugs and medications such as ACE inhibitors, angiotensin receptor blockers, beta blockers, diuretics, calcium channel blockers (CCBs), alpha blockers, clonidine, minoxidil, and Exforge.
What Foods Are Good If You Have Low Blood Pressure?
What is low blood pressure and what causes it? Learn the signs and symptoms of low blood pressure and what you can do to treat it.
Can Drinking Water Lower Your Blood Pressure?
Keeping well hydrated by drinking six to eight glasses of water daily (even more if working in hot and humid conditions) is beneficial for the blood pressure. High blood pressure (BP) or hypertension is a condition caused by the persistent high pressure of blood against the walls of arteries. It is also called systolic pressure (constantly greater than 139 mmHg) or diastolic pressure (constantly more than 89 mmHg).
Which Fruits Have the Highest Protein?
The recommended daily allowance of protein for adults is 0.36 grams per pound of bodyweight. The fruits that have the highest protein content include avocados and guava.
What Foods Can I Eat to Lower My Blood Pressure Immediately?
What is high blood pressure and how can you lower it? Learn the best foods to help lower your blood pressure immediately.
Which Fruits Are High in Potassium?
Potassium is an important mineral that plays a vital role in the body. Fruits that are high in potassium include bananas, cantaloupe, oranges, avocados, grapefruit, apricots, honeydew, guava and kiwi.
What Are the Top Drinks to Lower Blood Pressure?
The top drinks for lowering blood pressure include beverages that are rich in nutrients and low in sodium and fats. Learn the 10 best blood-pressure-lowering drinks here.
What Can I Eat To Lower My Blood Pressure Immediately?
Learn what you can eat to lower your blood pressure to a more healthy level and help you manage hypertension.
Is Acai Good for Losing Weight?
While it's true that acai berries are rich in antioxidants, the research around their effectiveness in weight loss is still a bit insufficient. However, you can still use the weight loss wonder fruit to get closer to your body goals.
What Is High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)?
High blood pressure or hypertension is when the blood pressure readings consistently range from 140 or higher for systolic or 90 or higher for diastolic. Blood pressure readings above 180/120 mmHg are dangerously high and require immediate medical attention.
High Blood Pressure Symptoms
Most people with high blood pressure have no signs or symptoms, even if blood pressure readings reach dangerously high levels. In some patients, symptoms may include fatigue, headaches, dizziness, confusion, sweating, chest pain and vision problems.
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Types of High Blood Pressure Medications
- coenzyme Q10
- Types of High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Medications
- Side Effects of Benicar (olmesartan medoxomil)
- Benicar (olmesartan medoxomil)
- Benicar HCT (olmesartan medoxomil-hydrochlorothiazide)
- Side Effects of Benicar HCT (olmesartan medoxomil-hydrochlorothiazide)
Prevention & Wellness
- What Fruit Is Good for Kidneys?
- What Can Eating Pineapple Do For a Woman?
- DASH Diet (for High Blood Pressure)
- What Are the Health Benefits and Disadvantages of Eating Guava?
- Can I Eat Dragon Fruit Every Day?
- What Are the Benefits and Side Effects of Bitter Melon (Bitter Gourd)?
- What Is the Normal Blood Pressure for an Infant?
- What Kind of Dried Fruit Is Healthiest?
- Are Dried Mangoes Good For You or Are They High In Sugar?
- Purple, Green, or Red Grapes: Which Are the Healthiest for You?
- Is Chayote a Fruit or Vegetable and What Are the Health Benefits?
- What Are the Health Benefits of Drinking Orange Juice and Can You Drink It Every Day?
- Which Fruit Has the Highest Antioxidants?
- Health Benefits of Pomegranates: Who Should and Shouldn't Eat Them?
- Which Fruits Have Fewer Calories?
- What Vegetables and Fruits Should Not Be Juiced?
- What Is Yuzu Fruit Good For and Is it Healthier Than a Lemon?
- How Healthy Is Orange Juice? Learn About Nutrition, Calories, and If It's Good for Weight Loss
- What Is Jujube Fruit, and What Is it Good for?
- Which Fruits Are Richest in Zinc?
- What are the Health and Nutritional Benefits of Eating Passion Fruit?
- Are Dates Safe to Eat If You Have Diabetes? Do They Raise Blood Sugar?
- Which Is Better - Honeydew Melon or Cantaloupe?
- Is a Dragon Fruit Good for You, and What Are the Health Benefits?
- 13 Health Benefits of Mangosteen and What It Can Treat
- What Are 10 Health Benefits of Eating Watermelon?
- What Are the Benefits of Eating Blueberries Everyday?
- Why Is Passion Fruit So Good for You?
- What Is the Difference Between the Ugli Fruit and a Tangelo?
- What Are the Nutritional Benefits of Eating Peaches, and Are They Healthier Than Other Fruits?
- What Health Benefits Is Rosehip Good for, and Are There Side Effect?
- What Is the Difference Between Peaches and Nectarines? Which Is Healthier?
- What Are the Benefits of Kumquats and Can You Eat Them Raw?
- Is Fruit Bad for Weight Loss?
- What Are the Nutritional Benefits of Eating Strawberries Every Day?
- What Fruits Should You Eat and Avoid on a Keto Diet?
- What Supplements Make Your Blood Pressure Go Down Naturally?
- Are White Mulberries Good to Eat and How Do They Differ From Other Mulberries?
- How to Pick a Good, Sweet, and Ripe Watermelon?
- High Blood Pressure Specific References
- MyPyramid Plan: Tips To Eating More Fruits
- High Blood Pressure Quiz
- High Blood Pressure and Pain Relievers
- Antioxidant-Loaded Fruits
- Blood Pressures Keep on Rising
- High Blood Pressure: The Invisible Health Risk
- High Blood Pressure: Treat, Don't Tolerate
- Hypertension: The New Low for High Blood Pressure
- Fruit Juice: The Buzz about Grape Juice
- Fruits Can Enhance and Entertain
- High Blood Pressure - A Silent Killer
- Alcohol, Coffee, Smoking and High Blood Pressure
- High Blood Pressure, Explained!
- Body Rhythms and Hypertension or High Blood Pressure