- Adult Acne Slideshow Pictures
- Take the Acne (Pimples) Quiz!
- Helping Your Teen With Acne Slideshow Pictures
- What is benzoyl peroxide?
- Why is benzoyl peroxide used?
- What are the side effects of benzoyl peroxide?
- What is the dosage for benzoyl peroxide?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with benzoyl peroxide?
- Is benzoyl peroxide safe to use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about benzoyl peroxide?
What is benzoyl peroxide?
Why is benzoyl peroxide used?
- Benzoyl peroxide is used for the treatment of acne.
Is benzoyl peroxide available as a generic drug?
Do I need a prescription for benzoyl peroxide?
What brand names are available for benzoyl peroxide?
- Proactive, Neutrogena On-The-Spot Acne Treatment, Clearasil, Clearskin, Clear Start, Benzac AC (Gel, Wash, and others), BPO (Creamy Wash Complete Pack, Gel and others), Desquam-E, Clean and Clear Advantage 3-in-1 Exfoliating Cleanser, Brevoxyl, Triaz, and ZoDerm are just some of the brand names for benzoyl peroxide.
What are the side effects of benzoyl peroxide?
Common side effects include:
- Contact dermatitis
- Skin dryness
Possible serious side effects include:
- Hypersensitivity reaction
- Increased sun sensitivity
What is the dosage for benzoyl peroxide?
- The affected area should be thoroughly washed.
- Benzoyl peroxide cream, lotion, or gel should then be applied sparingly once, twice, or three times daily as needed.
- Topical cleansers should be used to wash the affected areas once or twice daily.
- The frequency of use should be decreased if excessive dryness or irritation occurs.
Which drugs or supplements interact with benzoyl peroxide?
- Combining benzoyl peroxide with other topical acne treatments such as dapsone (Aczone) can lead to excessive dryness and irritation of the skin.
Is benzoyl peroxide safe to use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
What else should I know about benzoyl peroxide?
What preparations of benzoyl peroxide are available?
- Cream: 2.5, 5.5, 6, 7, and 10%
- Gel: 2.5, 4, 5, 8, and 10%
- Lotion: 2.5,3.5, and 7%
- Wash: 2.5, 3, 3.7, 4, 4.25, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10%
- Foam: 5.3, 5.5, and 9.5%
- Bar: 10%
How should I keep benzoyl peroxide stored?
- Benzoyl peroxide products should be stored at room temperature between, 15 C and 25 C (59 F and 77 F). They should be kept away from excess heat and moisture.
How does benzoyl peroxide work?
- Benzoyl peroxide works through several mechanisms. It kills the bacteria and promotes the growth of new skin cells. It also dries the skin. Increased cell growth leads to replacement of the pimple-containing skin with new skin.
Benzoyl peroxide - topical (Proactive, Neutrogena On-The-Spot Acne Treatment, Clearasil, Clearskin, Benzac AC [Gel, Wash, and others], BPO [Creamy Wash Complete Pack, Gel and others], Desquam-E, Clean and Clear Advantage 3-in-1 Exfoliating Cleanser, Brevoxyl, Triaz, ZoDerm, and many more) is an over-the-counter (0TC) treatment for acne. Side effects include skin dryness, contact dermatitis, skin peeling, and skin dryness.
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Skin and Makeup Quiz: Test Your Skin and Makeup IQ
Are you doing right by your skin? Take the Skin and Makeup Quiz to learn how to make the most of your beauty regimen....
Skin Conditions Quiz: Common Skin Diseases
Could you identify a scabies infestation? Take the Skin Diseases Pictures Quiz and learn to identify common conditions that...
Skin Quiz: Acne, Dry Skin, Dandruff & More
What's that all over you? Skin, of course! Test your knowledge of your most amazing organ with the Skin Quiz!...
Acne (Pimples) Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Acne is the most common skin disorder in the world. If you suffer from acne, you are not alone and many treatment options are...
Picture of Erythematous Deep Acne Scars
Acne scarring is a common sequel of severe inflammatory or cystic acne. It can present in a mild or cosmetically disfiguring...
Picture of Acne Vulgaris Nodulocystic
Inflammatory nodules, cysts, and pustules (left). See a picture of Acne Vulgaris Nodulocystic and learn more about the health...
Picture of Cystic Acne
Cystic acne is a type of abscess that is formed when oil ducts become clogged and infected. See a picture of Cystic Acne and...
Picture of Skin
The skin is the largest organ of the body, with a total area of about 20 square feet. See a picture of the Skin and learn more...
Picture of Acne
Exactly what causes acne? Acne develops when cells and natural oils begin to block up tiny hair follicles in the skin. See a...
Picture of Baby Acne
Pink pimples ("neonatal acne") are often caused by exposure in the womb to maternal hormones. See a picture of Baby Acne and...
Rosacea, Acne, Shingles: Common Adult Skin Diseases
Learn to spot and treat skin conditions commonly found in adults such as acne, eczema, shingles, psoriasis, rosacea, hives, cold...
Cosmetics Quiz: Test Your Skin Savvy
Take this quiz and test your skin savvy on makeup, mascara, and other cosmetic skincare beauty products....
Skin & Health: How Your Skin Reveals Health Problems
Skin problems are often the first signs of serious underlying health problems. Diabetes, lupus and lung cancer are illnesses that...
Skin Health: 15 Tips for Clear Skin
Acne, pimples, zits and blemishes often appear on the face, back, chest, neck, and shoulders where skin has the most amount of...
How to Get Rid of Acne: Skin Care Tips
Want to know how to get rid of blackheads? Discover tips on clogged pores, sunscreen SPF and how to remove makeup for different...
Dieting Tips to Care for Your Skin
Your diet can affect your skin in many ways. Certain foods that contain Vitamin A, antioxidants, and other nutrients could...
Adult Acne (Pimples) Causes and Treatments
Acne (pimples) is a skin condition that blocks pores. Get answers on causes, solutions and treatments for this skin condition...
DIY Beauty Fixes for Teen Girls' Hair and Skin in Pictures
Learn about DIY skin and hair care for teen girls. Don't let a pimple, bad hair day, or cold sore get in the way of your good...
Acne Care Pictures: Skin Care Dos and Don'ts
Explore quick acne cover-ups, dos and don'ts. See solutions on how to best handle pesky pimples and remedies to avoid....
Acne 101: Types, Best Treatments, Medication, Cystic Acne
What is the best treatment for acne vulgaris? Can food choices influence acne? How can you get rid of blackheads? Learn why it's...
Related Disease Conditions
Acne is a localized skin inflammation as a result of overactivity of oil glands at the base of hair follicles. This...
Keratosis pilaris (KP) is a common skin disorder in which small white or red bumps appear around hair follicles on the upper...
Ingrown hairs may be caused by improper shaving, waxing, or blockage of the hair follicle. Symptoms and signs of ingrown hairs...
Pimple vs. Cold Sore
Pimples are areas of skin inflammation with pus in the center. Cold sores are fluid-filled blisters. Pimples are caused by...
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
"benzoyl peroxide (Rx, OTC)." Medscape.