Patient Comments: BPH (Enlarged Prostate) - Diagnosis and Experience


Were you or a relative diagnosed with benign prostatic hyperplasia? How was it discovered? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: RosOtto, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 26

I am a 69 year old male with severe benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), diagnosed 25 years ago. PSA runs between 25 and 50. I have had several biopsies, numerous cystograms, MRIs, etc., with no signs of cancer. I have family history of prostate cancer, father, grandfather and brother. My urologist recently put me on Proscar which seems to help nocturia but I still have some urgency problems and once every 3 to 4 months I experience retention issues for which I have to self-catheterization (not very pleasant but gets the job done without going to the Urgent Care facility).

Comment from: tom fin, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I worked in the coal mines for 24 years and then had a head on collision with a double decker bus. I was off work for 18 months, then the problems started with urinating. After 3 weeks I was in agony straining to force a dribble of urine. The doctor sent me to hospital my consultant said I had an enlarged prostate I had the camera inserted and was told it was benign prostatic hyperplasia. I also had erectile dysfunction. I found it hard to write due to my stroke 3 years ago.

Comment from: Millon, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I'm 63 years old. I had suffered from benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) for nearly 7 years. I had a frequent need to urinate many times at night, sometimes up to 5 times. It had severely affected my sleep quality. Apart from that, I also had to urinate urgently. There was blood in my urine and my kidney functions had reduced greatly. The medication I took had little effect on my condition, so I started to take an herbal medicine called Diuretica anti-inflammatory pill. The symptoms were cured by taking 4 months medication.

Enlarged Prostate Treatment
FDA Logo

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Men's Health Newsletter

By clicking Submit, I agree to the MedicineNet's Terms & Conditions & Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of MedicineNet's subscriptions at any time.