Not only does regular exercise aid in weight loss, it reduces your risk for several chronic diseases and conditions. Finding activities that you enjoy and that become part of your daily routine is the key to a long and healthy life. Read more: Benefits of Exercise Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Heart Disease: Causes of a Heart Attack
Learn about heart disease and heart attack symptoms and signs of a heart attack in men and women. Read about heart disease...
ADHD/ADD in Adults: Symptoms & Treatments in Pictures
Most people don't associate adults with the term ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) but it is a common disorder in...
Heart Disease: Symptoms, Signs, and Causes
What is heart disease (coronary artery disease)? Learn about the causes of heart disease. Symptoms of heart disease include chest...
How Diabetes Can Affect Your Feet
Learn more about diabetes related foot problems. For people with diabetes, too much glucose in the blood can cause serious foot...
Cholesterol Levels: What the Numbers Mean
Do you know the different cholesterol levels and what they mean? Learn the alphabet soup of cholesterol testing: LDL, HDL, good,...
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
What is inflammatory bowel disease? IBD can include Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Learn more about testing, treatments,...
Slideshow: Exercises for Knee Osteoarthritis and Joint Pain
Learn about osteoarthritis and exercises that relieve knee osteoarthritis pain, stiffness and strengthen the knee joint and...
Lower Your Cholesterol, Save Your Heart
Need to lower your cholesterol levels? Use these smart diet tips to quickly and easily lower your blood cholesterol levels....
How to Lower Blood Pressure: Exercise Tips
Trying to lower high blood pressure (hypertension)? Discover exercises good for lowering blood pressure, along with other...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Exercises Slideshow: Joint-Friendly Fitness Routines
Regular exercise boosts fitness and helps reverse joint stiffness for people with rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Our experts offer...
Spider & Varicose Veins: Causes, Before and After Treatment Images
Learn the causes of spider veins and varicose veins and how to prevent them. Explore which treatments get rid of spider and...
Health Screening Tests Every Woman Needs
What is a health screening? Why is it important to know your blood pressure? How long will your health screening take? Learn...
Pictures of the 7 Most Effective Exercises to Do at the Gym or Home (and Tips to Improve Form)
These seven exercises deliver fitness results at home or in the gym. Start your training to better physical health with the most...
Chronic Pain Syndrome: Treatment and Management for CPS
What is chronic pain syndrome (CPS)? See causes, symptoms and treatment options including medications. Learn about pain...
Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: Improve Diabetes Nerve Pain
Read about diabetic peripheral neuropathy and exercises to manage nerve pain. Learn how to cope with the symptoms of diabetic...
Tips for Healthy Joints: Exercise, Nutrition, & More in Pictures
Dealing with joint pain and arthritis? Learn why weight matters--and why NOT to stretch before exercise. See these solutions for...
Exercise and Fitness Quiz: Test Your IQ
Take our Exercise and Fitness Quiz and learn to maximize your fitness level with simple exercises that do not require major...
Heart Disease Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take our Heart Disease Quiz to get answers and facts about high cholesterol, atherosclerosis prevention, and the causes,...
Pictures of the 7 Riskiest Workout Moves, and How to Improve Them
Working out is supposed to make you healthier--but some exercises can leave your body at risk of pain or injury. Some exercises...
Exercise Tips for Seniors
Exercise for seniors is important for healthy and successful aging. Learn what happens to our bodies as we age, how to start...
How to Lose Weight Without Dieting: 24 Fast Facts
Weight loss without dieting? No diet, no problem. Learn the best way to lose weight with these weight loss tips designed to help...
11 Exercises for Lower Back Pain Relief
One of the best low back pain treatments is exercise. Learn more about low back pain exercises--what works, and what doesn't....
How to Prevent the Common Cold
The common cold is arguably the most common human illness. Learn how long the common cold lasts, treatment for the common cold...
Top 15 Immune System Boosters
Immune system boosters include foods, supplements, and lifestyle habits to help you fight off infections. A healthy immune system...
Butt Exercise Pictures: Workouts for Slim and Shapely Glutes
Want a rear view that kicks butt? Discover the right exercises, cardio, and style choices that can help in the quest for the...
Pictures of 10 Muscle-Building Exercises for Diabetes
Watch this slideshow on Diabetes and Exercise. If you have diabetes, see how strengthening your muscles with these 10 weight...
ADHD in Children: Better Parenting
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a common disorder seen in children. Parents can learn tips and techniques to...
Migraine Headaches: 14 Non-Drug Treatments for Migraines
Learn about 14 non-drug treatments for migraines. Acupuncture, biofeedback and massage therapy are among this list of non-drug...
Benefits of Exercise: Fitness Facts Prove the Benefits of Working Out
These fitness facts explain why to get in shape. Check out these health facts on the benefits of exercise....
10 Smart Exercises for People With COPD: Pictures
Learn 10 exercises for people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). If you have COPD, give your muscles more oxygen...
Long Life in Pictures: Tips on Sleep, Diet, and More
Did you know making friends can help you live longer? Our experts explore ways to increase your longevity such as making friends,...
10 Metabolism Boosting Facts and Myths
Losing weight by increasing your metabolism is challenging. There are many metabolism myths and only a few surefire tricks to get...
12 Tips to Avoid Diabetes Complications With Pictures
Diabetes complications can be serious problems for your health. Our experts suggest steps you can take to help cut your risk of...
Foods to Boost Your Energy and Mood
Learn which foods may boost your energy level and have a positive impact on your mood. Foods such as salmon, Brazil nuts, and...
Slideshow: Exercises for Osteoarthritis -- Yoga, Swimming, & More
Check out this slideshow on Active Living From Day to Night with Osteoarthritis. Even with arthritis you can keep your active...
For Men Only: 15 Ways to Stay On Top of Your Game With Pictures
See how first impressions, staying active, good hygiene and more lifestyle tips can improve your overall health and well-being....
The 30-Minute Fitness Routine in Pictures
This quick, high-intensity 30-minute workout routine can make you look better and feel better. Discover the right way to do...
No-Gym Workout in Pictures: Equipment, Routines, and More
Learn about this no-gym, at home quick workout. It can get you into great shape at home and shows the best moves for flat abs and...
Exercise Tips for Kids and the Whole Family
Exercise is great for kids, and fun activities for the whole family are there if you know how to find them. Learn how to lose...
Fun With Kids and More Ways to Live With OA in Pictures
You can still have lots of fun with children despite arthritis. Our experts uncover ways to spend time with your kids or...
Diet Mistake Pictures: Crash Diets, High-Calorie Drinks, and More
Discover 10 common diet mistakes that may be preventing you from losing weight. Learn to avoid these diet blunders and watch the...
How to Quit Smoking Without Weight Gain
Learn how to avoid weight gain while quitting smoking. Explore what causes weight gain after quitting smoking. See lifestyle...
Healthy Indulgences for Under $15 With Pictures
Isn't it time you took care of yourself? Good food, relaxation, laughter -- we offer 15 great ideas for affordable, healthy...
Slideshow: The 7-Minute Workout
The 7-minute workout provides a free, convenient way to get and stay fit. Discover these short, quick exercises that use your own...
17 Must-Try Fitness Workouts in Pictures
Learn the latest exercise crazes such as TRX, pole dancing, Zumba, Kangoo jumps, boot camps, exergames and more that are designed...
Exercise and Fitness: 10 Budget-Friendly Exercise Gadgets
There are plenty of cheap and free ways to exercise. Learn about inexpensive ways to get in shape with the use of jump ropes,...
Related Disease Conditions
Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Aureus)
Staphylococcus or Staph is a group of bacteria that can cause a multitude of diseases. Staph infections can cause illness...
Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) Symptoms, Stages, and Prognosis
Congestive heart failure (CHF) refers to a condition in which the heart loses the ability to function properly. Heart disease,...
Liver disease can be cause by a variety of things including infection (hepatitis), diseases such as: gallstones, high...
Learn about osteoporosis, a condition characterized by the loss of bone density, which leads to an increased risk of bone...
Upper Respiratory Tract Infection
An upper respiratory infection is a contagious infection of the structures of the upper respiratory tract, which includes the...
Migraine headaches are severe headaches that are sensitive to light, sounds, and smells. Some people who suffer from...
Restless Leg Syndrome
Restless leg syndrome (RLS) is a common cause for painful legs that typically eases with motion, and becomes worse and more...
Parkinson's disease is a slowly progressive neurological disease characterized by a fixed inexpressive face, a tremor at rest,...
Heart disease (coronary artery disease) occurs when plaque builds up in the coronary arteries, the vessels that supply blood to...
Gestational diabetes is a condition that is first recognized during pregnancy and is characterized by high blood sugar....
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease occurs due to the accumulation of abnormal amounts of fat within the liver. Fatty liver most...
Swollen Ankles and Swollen Feet
Swollen ankles and swollen feet is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition such as edema, medications, pregnancy,...
Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a condition in which a person's pancreas does not produce enough insulin to meet the needs of the body....
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Diabetes Diet (Type 2)
A type 2 diabetes diet or a type 2 diabetic diet is important for blood sugar (glucose) control in people with diabetes to...
Diabetes Treatment (Type 1 and Type 2 Medications and Diet)
The major goal in treating diabetes is controlling elevated blood sugar without causing abnormally low levels of blood sugar....
Intermittent claudication, or pain and cramping in the lower leg is caused by inadequate blood flow to the leg muscles. This lack...
Hot Flashes (Causes, Symptoms & Medication Treatment in Men and Women)
Hot flashes (or flushing) is the most common symptom experienced by a woman prior to and during the early stages of menopause,...
Heart attack happens when a blood clot completely obstructs a coronary artery supplying blood to the heart muscle. A heart attack...
The main features of metabolic syndrome include insulin resistance, hypertension (high blood pressure), cholesterol...
Low Blood Sugar (Hypoglycemia)
Low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia, is a syndrome in which a person's blood sugar is dangerously low. People with type 1 and type 2...
Cystic fibrosis is a disease of the mucus and sweat glands. Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disease. The outcome of the disease...
IBS-D (Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Diarrhea)
IBS-D or irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea refers to IBS with diarrhea. Symptoms of IBS-D include intestinal gas...
Fabry Disease (Symptoms and Life Expectancy)
Fabry disease (Fabry's disease, alpha-galactosidase-A) is a genetic disorder with symptoms such as burning sensations in...
Adult ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
About 2%-6% of adults have ADHD, a common behavioral problem. Symptoms include impulsivity, hyperactivity, and inattention....
Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is a combination of physical and emotional disturbances that occur after a woman ovulates and ends...
Cellulite is caused by fat deposits that distort connective tissues under the skin, resulting in a dimpled appearance of the...
HDL vs. LDL Cholesterol (Differences, Normal Ranges, Meanings)
HDL (high-density lipoprotein), or the "good" cholesterol, and LDL (low-density lipoprotein), or the "bad"...
Post-polio syndrome (PPS) is a group of signs and symptoms that show up two to four decades after the initial polio infection....
Stress Management Techniques
Stress may be considered as any physical, chemical, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental unrest and that may be a...
Type 1 vs Type 2 Diabetes (Similarities and Differences)
Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic condition in which a person's blood sugar (glucose) levels are too high. Over 29.1 million...
A diabetic diet, or diabetes diet helps keep blood glucose levels in the target range for patients. Exercise and medication may...
Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease (CMT)
Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease is one of the most common inherited neurological disorders. Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease affects the...
Narcolepsy (Definition, Symptoms, Treatment, Medication)
Causes of narcolepsy, a chronic disease of the central nervous system, have not been fully determined. Some theories include...
Prediabetes is a situation where a person's blood sugar levels are higher than they should be, but aren't high enough to be...
IBS Triggers (Prevention)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a functional disease that can affect the quality of those who suffer from this condition....
Hodgkin's disease is a cancer of the lymphatic system with symptoms that include unexplained, recurring fevers, unexplained...
Type 1 Diabetes
Type 1 diabetes mellitus (juvenile) is an auto-immune disease with no known cause at this time. Symptoms of type 1 diabetes...
Stretch marks occur in the dermis, the elastic middle layer of skin that allows it to retain its shape. When the skin is...
COPD vs. Emphysema (Differences Similarities)
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is the term doctors and other health care professionals use to describe a group of...
IBS vs. IBD: Differences and Similarities
IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) are both problems with the digestive tract...
Insomnia Treatment (Sleep Aids and Stimulants)
Insomnia is difficulty in falling or staying asleep, the absence of restful sleep, or poor quality of sleep. Insomnia is a...
Pycnodysostosis (pyknodysostosis) is an inherited disease of the bone. Characteristics of individuals with pycnodysostosis are:...
Menstrual Cramps and Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) Medication Guide
Menstrual cramps and premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms include abdominal cramping, bloating, a feeling of fullness, abdominal...
Crohn's Disease vs. Ulcerative Colitis (UC): Differences and Similarities
Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis are diseases that cause inflammation of part of or the entire digestive tract (GI)....
Diabetes Prevention (Type 2)
The risks for developing type 2 diabetes include family history, ethnicity, birth weight, metabolic syndrome, and obesity....
Alzheimer's Disease Patient Caregiver Guide
Caring for a loved one or patient with Alzheimer's can become a difficult and overwhelming task at times. This guide helps...
Parenting a Child With ADHD
ADHD is a behavioral condition with characteristics that include hyperactivity, inattention, and impulsivity. Parenting a child...
Headaches are a common complaint for many people. There are many types of headaches such as migraine, tension, cluster, and the...
Vitamins & Exercise: Heart Attack Prevention Series
Vitamins and exercise can lower your risk for heart attack and heart disease. Folic acid, vitamins, and homocysteine levels are...
Heart Attack Prevention Overview
Heart attacks are the major causes of unexpected, sudden death among men and women. A heart attack also is a significant cause...
Alternative Treatment for MS (CAM for MS)
The term alternative therapy, in general, is used to describe any medical treatment or intervention that has not been...
Colon Cancer Prevention
Colo-rectal cancer is both curable and preventable if it is detected early and completely removed before the cancerous cells...
Pregnancy Changes and Body Discomforts
Pregnancy can bring challenges like weight gain, stretch marks, varicose veins, heartburn, constipation,...
Disease Prevention in Women
Disease prevention in women includes screening tests that are a basic part of prevention medicine. All screening tests are...
Weight Control and Smoking Cessation
One concern smokers have when considering quitting smoking is weight gain. Not everyone will gain weight when they stop smoking....
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Heart Disease FAQs
- Exercise and Fitness FAQs
- Best Exercises for Asthma: Yoga, Swimming, Biking, and Walking
- Menopause: 10 Questions To Ask Your Doctor
- How Muscles Work & Respond to Resistance Training
- Four Summer Health Myths Debunked
- Prediabetes Symptoms and Diagnosis
- Ten Health Benefits of a Healthy Sex Life
- Exercise Preventing Asthma?
- Kids: How to Keep Your Kids Healthy
- Stress: 8 Immediate Stress-Busters
- Colds: 10 Tips to Prevent The Common Cold
- Being Overweight Doesn't Mean You're Unhealthy!
- Heart Health: Choose to Move for a Healthy Heart
- Diabetics & Fitness: Exercise Can Save Your Life
Medications & Supplements
- Cox-2 Inhibitors
- phentermine (Adipex-P, Lomaira)
- orlistat (Xenical, alli)
- SGLT2 Inhibitors (Sodium-Glucose Co-Transporter 2)
- glipizide and metformin (Metaglip has been discontinued in the US)
- Saxenda (liraglutide injection)
- alirocumab (Praluent)
- Adlyxin (lixisenatide)
- tolazamide (Tolinase brand has been discontinued.)
Prevention & Wellness
- Choosing a Gym: Exercise Your Options
- More Americans Are Walking for Exercise
- Americans Want to Be Fit, But Most Don't Put in the Effort
- No Excuses: Exercise Can Overcome the 'Obesity Gene'
- Elite Runners, Women the First Marathoners to Lose to Father Time
- Exercise Helps Counter Cancer-Linked Fatigue
- Too Much Sitting Ages You Faster
- Exercise: An Antidote for Behavioral Issues in Students?
- Dialysis Patients May Walk Their Way to Better Health
- How to Exercise Safely in Smog
- Exercise May Help People Who Already Have Memory Loss
- Exercise Speeds Seniors' Recovery From Disability
- Over 64? Want to Cut Your Heart Disease Risk? Try Exercise
- Why Breast Cancer Survivors Should Exercise
- Exercise Has Its Limits for Losing Weight, Study Finds
- Exercise Regularly and Your Heart Will Thank You
- Exercise Eases Low Back Pain
- Tai Chi Might Help People With Long-Term Health Conditions
- Aerobic Exercise Can Help Curb Asthma, Study Shows
- Exercise May Blunt a Woman's Risk of Lung and Breast Cancer: Studies
- Health Tip: Keep Your Child at a Healthy Weight
- Health Tip: Exercise Boosts Heart Health
- Biking, Walking to Work Can Help Shed Pounds
- Exercise Might Boost Mental Function in People With Schizophrenia
- Exercise Beneficial Even in Polluted Air: Study
- COPD Takes Big Toll on Employment, Mobility in U.S.
- Exercise Might Help His Sex Life
- Stress May Undermine Heart Benefits of Exercise
- Realistic Targets May Boost Exercise Rates, Experts Say
- Upbeat Walking Style Might Lift Your Mood
- Dads Face Guilt About Workouts, Just Like Moms Do
- Can Exercise Prevent Type 2 Diabetes? Your Genes May Be Key
- Brisk Walking May Help Curb Parkinson's Symptoms
- Fish, Exercise May Help Thwart Colon Cancer's Return: Study
- There May Be Such a Thing as 'Too Much Exercise'
- Scientists Explore Effect of Exercise on Prostate Cancer Patients
- Want to Stay Young? Start Moving
- Walking May Cut Stroke Risk in Older Men
- Red Wine Supplement May Block Benefits of Exercise in Older Men
- With Weekly Exercise, Time Trumps Frequency
- Just How Might Exercise Lower Breast Cancer Risk?
- Short-Term Exercise Might Boost Young People's Self-Control
- Can Brightly Colored Fruits, Veggies Protect Against ALS?
- Regular Exercise May Help Seniors Stave Off Heart Failure
- Physical Activity Boosts Brain Health
- Exercise May Prevent Stress and Anxiety, Study Suggests
- Survival More Likely With Exercise-Related Cardiac Arrest: Study
- Exercise, Meditation Can Beat Back Cold, Flu, Study Finds
- More Proof That Healthy Habits Fight Disease
- Vigorous Exercise Might Protect Against Psoriasis
- Fitness Fights High Blood Pressure, Even With Family History
- Many Pregnant Women Fear Exercising
- For a Healthy Aging Brain, 'Use It or Lose It'
- High Reps With Low Weights Builds Muscle, Too
- Dumb Jocks? Not if They're Good at the Game
- Faster Walkers Have Lower Odds of Memory Problems
- CDC: Doctors Increasingly Prescribe Exercise
- Too Many Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients Inactive, Study Finds
- Knee Arthritis: Very Low-Calorie Diet May Help
- Increase in Resting Heart Rate Over Time Linked to Heart Disease Death
- Men Who Step Lively May Outpace Grim Reaper
- Want to Live Longer? Fit Outweighs Fat
- Moderate Exercise May Cut Risk of 'Silent' Stroke
- New Clues to Low-Calorie Diets and Longer Life
- Why Some May Avoid Type 1 Diabetes Complications
- Moderate Alcohol Drinking May Boost Heart Health
- Therapy, Exercise Help Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Baby Fat May Predict Early Obesity
- Psoriasis, Heart Disease, and Diabetes: What's the Link?
- Exercise, Vitamin D Reduce Risk of Falls in Elderly
- Weight Loss During Marathon Improves Running Time
- Top 20 Fitness Trends for 2011
- Walking May Ward Off Memory Loss
- New Guidelines for Treatment of Depression
- Osteoporosis Drugs Linked to Rare Fractures
- Stress May Raise Risk of Premenstrual Syndrome
- Exercise Recommended for Cancer Patients
- Heart Attacks Down Sharply, Study Finds
- Short People May Have Increased Heart Risk
- Study: Shapewear Garment Burns Calories
- Drinking Milk May Boost Benefits of a Workout
- Wii Games Get Heart Group's Seal of Approval
- Michelle Obama's Plan to End Childhood Obesity Epidemic
- Air Pollution Increases Heart Attack, Stroke Risk
- People With Fibromyalgia Prone to Falls
- Weight Loss Pill Also Lowers Blood Pressure
- $1,000 Personal Genome Coming: Are We Ready?
- What a Bad Lifestyle Does to Your Life Span
- Computer Use, Exercise May Save Memory
- Fibromyalgia Gets Worse During Menstruation
- Pregnant Women Don't Get Enough Exercise
- Short Bursts of Activity Ease Fibromyalgia
- Incontinence After Childbirth May Last Years
- Exercise 1 Hour a Day to Avoid Weight Gain
- Good and Bad Health Habits in U.S.
- Ringing in Your Ears?
- How to Stay Awake Naturally
- Cholesterol Facts
- Ergonomics: Healthy Workstation Positions
- Heart Attack Symptoms in Women
- 10 Ways to Help Boost Your Good Cholesterol
- Diabetes Risk Factors
- Victoza (liraglutide) Medication for Diabetes
- In One Year, Out the Other
- 5 Diet Resolutions for the New Year
- IBS: Dealing With Irritable Bowel Syndrome at Work
- Does Fidgeting Help Burn Calories?
- Flu Prevention: Use Your Immune System!
- Weight Loss and Nutrition Myths
- Wii Exercise Games: Can You Really Get Fit?
- Belly Fat: The Best Way to Trim Your Tummy
- Heart Health and Your Family History
- Exercise to Lose Weight
- The Pritikin Principle
- Heart Rate Training Zone
- Exercise Tubing and Bands
- Walking: Fitness Walking Brings Bushel of Benefits
- Exercise: Working Out Can Make You Smarter
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter