Patient Comments: Bee And Wasp Sting - Treatment

How did you treat your bee and/or wasp sting? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Jackie, Published: November 08

It started with bilateral trochanter pain 6 months ago. I tried ice and ibuprofen. I was still in pain. Now, both ischial tuberosities (sitting bones) have started hurting fiercely. I am on ice and ibuprofen at another site. I have no injury or repetitive issues. I am 57 and already have had chronic pain from degenerative disk disease in the neck. I don't know how many more pains I can deal with. I have an appointment with the orthopedist, and am considering seeing a rheumatologist.

Comment from: Susanne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

My dentist was drilling down a mercury amalgam filling to make room for a partial denture to be fitted, as the space was too tight. My mouth was full of the mercury filling that mixed with my saliva. I had no choice at the time but to swallow most of it although I spat out the liquid mercury onto a tissue as well. A day or so later I began to suffer from blurred vision, muscle pains and weakness, as well as exhaustion.

Comment from: Sumya, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

While hiking, I was stung by a big black fluffy flying insect (most possibly a bee) on my neck. Immediately pain started and soon after I had a remarkable round swollen red big area on my neck. At that moment sting spot was like a kind of red dot in the center of the circle. I put anti-sting (not sure about it since other hikers gave it to me) on that to help me with the pain. It worked for the first day. The day after and the following day it was extremely itchy and the center dot, turned to yellowish color. I was scared since I felt it can be a symptom of infection. As on the 4th day (today), the sting is dark brown with same red area around but less itchy. I wonder if I am in a middle of a normal process of healing or something unusual is happening with all these colors on my neck.

Comment from: Margaret, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 11

Two days after being stung by a wasp I had a doctor's appointment on another matter and casually mentioned that I was having heart palpitations. She sent me for a blood test and EKG. After the appointment I remembered the wasp sting which had resulted in a 2 inch diameter hard lump close to my shoulder, and realized the palpitations had started after the sting. I phoned her that information and she thought it was interesting and decided to monitor things. As the lump went down the palpitations were so bad that I felt them in my throat. The lump has gone down now and it is just itchy, and the palpitations are only felt in my chest now. It's five days since the sting, and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Comment from: lady b, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 12

My 3 year old was stung by a bee three weeks ago on his forehead and in less than 2 hours his face was disfigured. I rushed him to the emergency room. They gave him some medicine for the pain and some allergy medicine. The problem is from the time he got stung he has not stopped spitting.

Comment from: KathleenR, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I treated my wasp sting with ice, Benadryl and ibuprofen.

Comment from: Sandy, Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I stepped on a wasp. The area around my little toe swelled, turned red, and hurt like crazy. I began soaking it in Epsom salts. It hurt worse than anything I could remember keeping me up all night. I was stung 4 times last year on my neck and arm but don't remember pain and swelling like this. After 4 days and no sleep due to pain, I went to urgent care where they took out the stinger and gave me antibiotics; it was infected. One week later, I still cannot put a shoe on due to swelling, redness, and pain.

Comment from: BeeWise, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

Bees stung over me 20 times when I walked near or on their nest. It was so sudden, and I never saw the bees until I kept feeling stings and realized what was happening. Fortunately, I was close to home and ran into the shower, which got them off me. There were over 10 bees in the shower and a few flying around. The pain was intense and I was dripping wet and not ready to go to urgent care. The pharmacist advised Benadryl tablets and a cortisone cream. I saw the doctor the following day when each site swelled up and burned like fire. He prescribed prednisone and an EpiPen for any future attacks, which may result in a more severe reaction. Today the swelling and itching have lessened, and the pain is gone. It's a good idea to have a plan in case of a bee attack!

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: August 31

I was stung yesterday by a wasp. I was fully unaware that is was under my arm, until it stung me and flew away. Because I went 3 hours w/o treating it, it swell up around the sting area, but where the sting entered was the only red part. My husband applied Benadryl Gel to the area. That helped ease the pain a bit. Then I took Tylenol. That helped a lot. Now today when I woke up, the area increased in size, now it is about the size of a 50 cent piece and a dime added to it, and it itches. Applying more Benadryl should help, since that's what I read. This is my 8th sting. Six were multiple and the 7th was single. (no reaction to the first 7. Just some pain and redness, but it was gone within 2 hours).

View 10 Common Allergy Triggers
Comment from: Crystal Paulse, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was bitten by a wasp yesterday. I was removing laundry from the clothes line and as I touched one item I saw the wasp and then felt a sharp pain in my hand. I could see the sting mark--just a hole on my hand and nothing inside it. I put Dettol and Allergex cream on the sting, and then took two Allergex tablets. Afterward, I had a terrible headache. I took a pain killer and this morning the area is very red and itchy. I might consider going to the doctor if it persists.

Comment from: nancy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I was stung in my ear yesterday. Half my face swelled up, my eye closed, my mouth was crooked, my nose swelled and a rash started at my throat and continued to move down my chest. I was forced to go to the ER where they said I was having an allergic reaction. I had to get a shot and some medicine. I also got a prescription to keep on me in case I ever get bitten again. Unfortunately, with insurance, it is $250.00. I work but have four daughters so I can't afford $250. The 1st time I got bit this summer, no reaction. The 2nd time, my leg swelled up twice the normal size. This is my 3rd bite.

Comment from: dollydialup, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I think I got stung by a great black wasp about four days ago on the back of my knee. Didn't feel it at the time but have developed a huge purple-red area with a black round center and a whitish center in the middle of that. Can feel a huge hard area under it. I started putting tea tree oil on it yesterday and taking Benadryl and aspirin. It actually started to bleed a little, the black area is getting bigger. My toes and half of my foot tingle sometimes. No red streaks but the blackness worries me a little.

Comment from: Con, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

Whenever I get stung by a bee or wasp, I run for the WD40. Spray that on and the pain is relieved immediately. Scrape out the stinger with a credit card. Also, putting a penny on it gets some relief.

View 10 Common Allergy Triggers