Patient Comments: Bacterial Vaginosis - Treatment

What treatments were effective for bacterial vaginosis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Elaine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I was very healthy when I contracted West Nile virus (WNV) in 2014. Symptoms included massive headache that emanated from the base of my skull, stiff neck, fever, and extreme fatigue (in bed 23 of 24 hours). I recall telling a friend I felt like I had to remind myself to breathe sometimes. It wasn't diagnosed by blood test, until the virus started to resolve itself a couple of months later. I experienced fatigue for another couple of years, and still need 10 hours sleep a night. Every now and then I still have a period of extended headaches due to inflammation. Muscles deteriorated and I am still working on a full comeback. It is upsetting that people and the medical community blow you off; oh, I'm not worried about WNV 'because I'm healthy'. I was too. It's a mistake to broadcast that 80 percent of people don't even know they have it.

Comment from: sj, Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I have been battling bacterial vaginosis (BV) for about a year and half. I spent hundreds of dollars in doctor visits and prescribed medications that only made matters worse. After reaching my ultimate low in losing confidence and making up excuses why I didn't want to have relations with my boyfriend and being thoroughly embarrassed to even stand next to someone in fear they would smell me, I finally turned to nature. I was desperate to find a cure and very depressed over it. They say it's not an STD but boy, does it make you feel like you have one. It equally destroys your femininity as much as if you would have in fact had an STD. Well ladies, I found my cure. I know they say don't douche. But in my case, matters couldn't be any worse. I was bloated, achy, had drainage constantly, the smell; lord, the smell! It was bad. Well, I tried the salt water treatment douching. Yes it worked, temporary. Then I tried honey water douche, also temporary (as in a day). Tea Tree oil; least favorite, bothersome, oozed out and temporary but very effective masking the smell. And finally apple cider vinegar (ACV). Bingo! We had a winner. Three days later I was cured! Day one, I mixed equal portions of ACV and water, and douched. Then douched again with plain water, took acidophilus twice a day and cleansed the outer labial portions with tea tree oil and water (just to catch any potential smells). Day two, about a 3rd of ACV and water, flushed again with plain water, still taking acidophilus twice per day and tea tree oil for the outside. At this point, the symptoms were gone as far as bloat and ache, and no smell. Still there was discharge, but no smell. Day three, a teaspoon of ACV and water, flushed again with plain water, acidophilus and tea tree oil rinse. Done! No discharge, no symptoms, no smells. I am BV free for over a month now; after so long in trying to find help, it worked. And treatment varies for some women. I am happy to report, I have not had to douche since and honestly I really won't unless absolutely necessary. It is not natural to douche all the time and upsets the natural flora. Now I watch my pH and make sure it stays balanced. I maintain a healthy diet and I drink of plenty of water. I hope this helps you as much as it helped me. Oh and by the way, I found it funny that 50 cents is all it would cost to cure me. Best of luck.

Comment from: Alfred, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I had about 10 chigger bites recently. Cause might have been because I laid my clothes on the picnic table and then put them on. Bad idea! My father advised mixing salt and butter and applying that. I thought chigger was buried. I wonder if the puncture apparatus remains when chigger leaves.

Comment from: Time, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I just wanted to say something positive about all this. I went to my doctor 2 weeks ago with symptoms of frequent urination and feeling tired because of interrupted sleep. Because of my age he suggested a prostate exam, days later I was with a specialist and the week after that had TURP (transurethral resection of the prostate) surgery. I checked the videos on google to see what was involved (don't do that), and I read about recovery, etc. I am here to tell you that it was not as dramatic as I was led to believe, I had a couple of pain killers, nurses insisted, I didn't feel I needed them. I got home Thursday and surgery was Tuesday. Okay, I am tired but I have been sitting around in a hospital. Tonight I sleep in my own bed, no pain killers and glad that I have done it. I am still waiting for the cancer test results which will be due in a few days. Guys, get checked and get the surgery done. So far as I can tell I am one of the lucky ones, but I also think that is due to the surgeon who insisted I keep the catheter in for two days. Good luck with your treatment.

Comment from: su, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

Over 20 years ago, I had a massive sneeze and broke my neck. The instant pain was transferred into my arm, I rushed to the hospital and they suspected a heart attack (it wasn't). Five months later I went to the doctor for leg problems and he noticed a lump in my neck. X-ray taken found the break in my 5th vertebra. It had mended itself but was out of line, I have massive pain all the time now. I now have cervical spondylosis plus rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and fibromyalgia. I can't tolerate RA drugs, and the pain and headache never go. It has left me a damaged and broken person.

Comment from: Sladep, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

My husband was diagnosed with follicular lymphoma 2 years ago. He had chemotherapy for almost a year. We traveled to Tampa, Florida in March so he could get his hernia fixed. While they were doing surgery they discovered he has cirrhosis of liver, 20% of his liver is working. He had a drain put in abdomen 6 months ago because of fluid buildup. They said it was from cancer. We come to find out it was from the liver. Recently they took the drain out because of infection in the fluid. They don't want to put it back in. Now we go to the hospital once a week to get it drained. Now his legs and feet have swollen so badly. All they do is give Lasix and water pills. He needs the drain back in. He should be able to get it in. He knows the problem he could have in future. He wants quality of life. The cirrhosis is not from drinking or drugs, or some disease, I think it was caused by chemotherapy.

Comment from: AFox, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I have been douching with peroxide and water, about 3/4 peroxide and 1/4 water, before and after sex. This has helped my bacterial vaginosis more than anything that I have tried, including 100s of Flagyl.

Comment from: joani, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I agree Janelle that acidophilus especially, Lactobacillus acidophilus is key. What I found that worked extremely well for bacterial vaginosis is a product called Femanol. You can find it online or at Amazon. I of course can't promise it well work as good for you as it did for me, but I am very pleased with it.

Comment from: klc49er, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

My doctor tried to treat my bacterial vaginosis (BV) with the normal medications for this type of infection, but it got worse. She said that I had to see a gynecologist and she would get the authorization from my insurance. I had a hysterectomy in my 20s and I am now 56 and have had major vaginal issues in the past 5 years. They tell me it is normal. I did some research while I wait to see the gynecologist and it said to take odor free garlic pills. I take the 2000 mg 3 times per day and I made a mixture of garlic powder mixed with hot water in a spray bottle and I spray that on the area and it seems to have brought the inflammation down a bit. I was so swollen I couldn't walk because my vulva lips rubbed against my thighs making it very painful. I have only started the garlic method 3 days ago and already see and feel a big difference. You can also take minced garlic and the anti-itch cream and mix it together and put as much as you can on a tampon and insert in vagina for 2 to 3 hours. I see my gynecologist on Monday but I hope by tomorrow night I have it cleared up. I have had this for 3 1/2 long months and I have never had it this bad. I say, try the garlic method because I have had more response with this than I have had with any medications.

Comment from: Happy Girl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I'm a former BV (bacterial vaginosis) sufferer and I came back to this thread to leave a testimony. I've been to numerous sites and forums and I have read about all kinds of things that women have tried to rid themselves of this awful condition. First of all, when BV is at its worse, it is impossible to treat with home remedies. I've tried almost every home remedy including the acidophilus tablets, peroxide, tea tree oil, Femmesil, tampons soaked in yogurt, eating yogurt, drinking cranberry juice, etc. None of these actually cured my BV or lessened the symptoms. When I went to my doctor a year ago she prescribed Flagyl. It cleared my BV right up. To my dismay, my boyfriend and I had sex and I noticed that my symptoms began to return. This time it seemed even worse. The smell and the abundant discharge had returned. I also noticed that using tampons caused me to actually bleed longer and was intensifying the BV. When using latex condoms, the BV was at its worst. I went back to the doctor who said I had a touch of yeast with my BV and she prescribed Flagyl and Diflucan. After two days my symptoms were gone and BV and yeast were cleared. Long story short, I eliminated latex condoms and unprotected sex because in both the cases my BV was triggered by the semen. I also stopped using tampons and switched to a non-latex condom. Not only has my BV been gone for almost a year, my vaginal flora is at its best and has resisted even the occasional pesky yeast infection. I also don't take any pills or do any yogurt to keep it away. It just stays away because my vagina is at its best health. That's not to say that some of these methods don't make a good preventative but I had BV for a long time and I have eliminated it by finding the cause.

Comment from: janelle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

Acidophilus and probiotics and a ton of water worked for me almost instantly but I found I had to continue taking the supplements after symptoms had cleared. Still it worked.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

39 years old with BV for the first time after being on various antibiotics for other health issues on and off for about 8 months plus having a new boyfriend that I have my doubts about and are now broken up. Got on the clindamycin cream for about 4 days didn't work. Flagyl 500mg for 7 days, betadine douche (one time only), philips probiotic pill(once daily), Summers Eve PH balance wash to cleanse and Calmoseptine Ointment for the ragging itch/burn on the outer parts of the vagina. Went back for a checkup and now clear! Good luck

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I am a first-time BV patient, and my doctor just prescribed boric acid vaginal suppositories. It apparently works well, especially for those sufferers who have failed with other treatments. The only side effect may be irritation where the infected area is. It is suggested that vitamin E oil, lanolin, or even Vaseline can be placed on those sensitive tissues prior to administering the boric acid.

Comment from: Remy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I was given Flagyl antibiotics. I was told to take a probiotic every day to prevent it from happening again. I am 35 and this is the first time that I have ever had this condition. I am celibate and have been for 3 years so I don't know how I got this. It is just weird. I hope that I never get this again; it is really gross and embarrassing. I just feel dirty all the time even after a shower.

Comment from: Dee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I developed BV during pregnancy. I was informed by the doctor and I've read quite extensively that it is very normal for pregnant women to get this. I had a brownish discharge and a foul odor. I was prescribed Metronidazole 500mg (flagyl). After taking the oral medicine for the full prescription I was still having symptoms. During another prenatal visit, I had the doctor check me again and he confirmed that I did still had BV. So I was prescribed another dosage. The BV seemed to had gone away. Fast forward, I give birth and now 9months later I'm having symptoms again. I'm scheduled for another doctor visit today, to see what my diagnosis is this time. I think the odor is stronger this time. I'm constantly changing panty liners and I keep wipes with me. The fact that this can keep reoccurring is very upsetting. I'm a married woman and this is upsetting to me and my husband and as far as I'm concerned embarrassment.

Comment from: NikK, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I am 19 years old and have had BV 5 times in the last 6 months. With my case I had discharge (but without a smell thankfully) pain during sex, and pain during urination after sex. I just went to my doctor today for my most recent case. The last times I have been prescribed the metronidazole gel. This time however, I was prescribed doxycycline hyclate. My doctor also gave me a few tips to keep BV away. 1) drink cranberry juice. She said it can help balance the acidity and alkalinity in your body. 2) eat yogurt, especially Greek yogurt because the cultures in it help regulate bacteria in your body. 3) this is probably the most peculiar tip but she swears it works. Twice a week pour peroxide on a tampon and insert it into your vagina for an hour or 2.She said to leave the tampon in the applicator and pour the peroxide into the hole on the top of the applicator until you feel that it's soaked through, then insert at normal. I am really crossing my fingers that these tips along with the meds will finally get rid of BV!! Hope these may help someone else as well because i know how terrible this infection is and no woman should have to live with it!

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I am another annoyed victim of the BV disaster. I remember a few years ago a doctor told me to get some L. ACIDOPHILUS pills from the health food store and that should help balance the lack of acid in the vagina. It was also stated that lots of yogurt is helpful because of the high volume of L. ACIDOLPHILUS. I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL THERE IS A PERMANANT CURE!!!!!!

Comment from: grandmajake, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

My marriage of 54 years has been sexless for the last 5 or 6 years due to medical conditions of my spouse. He is the only sex partner I have ever had so there is no chance for me to have developed an STD. Now, all of a sudden, I have developed BV. The itching has been terrible and no matter how clean I try to stay the odor has remained fishy and offensive. Then, I began drinking cranberry juice for a minor UTI. The more cranberry I took in the more my BV cleared up. Now, 3 weeks later, I drink 16 oz of C. juice a day plus have about 1/4 cup of dried cranberries for an evening snack I am finally free of BV symptoms. In researching the info about cranberries it says that they prevent bacteria from adhering to the bladder wall - well if I keep enough in my system I think they are also preventing the bacteria from adhering to the vaginal wall. It is working for me, is inexpensive and most of all, I finally have relief! Would not hurt you gals to at least try it; nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Comment from: :/, Published: November 02

I found that I got BV when I got a new boyfriend and went through a bit of stress; the doctor said you can get it when you have a lifestyle change and it can also go away forever when you have another lifestyle change as well. It's the most embarrassing thing, you always feel like everyone can smell you and you always feel dirty. Because I don't want to wear liners everyday i change my underwear at least 4 times. Its embarrassing having intercourse with your partner no matter how many years you've been together. I've been on metronidozole which helped for a week or so after, then came back twice as worst - this time with a yeast infection! It's horrible. I'm now on doxycycline which is a less strong anti-biotic and your conception still works, you can still drink and it makes your skin clear up (if you suffer acne). It's made a difference but hasn't gone away. There's also probiotics you can get from the chemist called woman's bio balance to restore good bacteria in the vagina so you should try it out. Good luck :)

Comment from: blackrose, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I have been dealing with bv since i was 16. I am a rape/molested victims. I am now 38 there is no cure or no explanations for this embarrassing situation. The older I get the worse I get. Can't use condoms, no anal sex, no semen, no perfume products the list goes on. I have been with my partner for 6 years I catch it mostly around my menstrual cycle or when i sweat too much. Stress has slot to do with it. I'm sorry to been the barrel of bad news we just need to learn how to deal with it and hope they find a solution to this ongoing embarrassment.

Comment from: Candy, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I am 18 years old, and am still a virgin. Ever since I can remember I have had an excess of vaginal discharge and for the past few years it has gotten really bad, with a really bad odor to it. I don't understand what I did to have this happen. I am going to make an appointment with my doctor but by reading other posts it sounds like I have BV, but we will see. Any inspiration would help.

Comment from: Loochi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I have suffered from BV for two years. I first got BV when I got with my present partner. I went to the Doctors on and off, antibiotic after antibiotic. It only came back. I even purchased books that told me I would rid it forever. Not so. So I did some study myself. I found out that if not treated properly, or if the antibiotics didn't work or take their course, then the bacteria would travel further into the pelvic region. So, I went back to the doctors asking him if I could have pills for pelvic inflammatory disease. He was sure I didn't have this and was reluctant to give me the pills but after convincing him that even if I didn't have PID what harm could the pills do, he gave me a script. I went home and took two pills - I felt them working in my abdomen and voila!!! The smell, the pain and the discharge is now gone!!! I am finally cured. PID is very difficult to diagnose. I had all the symptoms of BV with irregular periods as well. So could it be that BV can travel into the upper abdomen, which in turn, turns into PID??? Anyway, I thought I'd share my story because finally after two years of suffering I now feel great and confident. My partner was also treated with the two pills as well.

Published: July 24

A couple of years ago, I had reoccurring yeast infections and bacterial vaginosis infections. It seemed like the treatment for one was causing the other. Then one day, the symptoms just stopped and I was fine, or maybe I just got used to the symptoms. In either case, I didn't have any unusual discharge, irritation, or odor for about two years. Then, about two months after having sex with my new boyfriend, I got what I thought was another yeast infection and I used an over the counter, one day treatment for yeast infections. I forgot which brand, but buyer beware: It made the symptoms unbearably worse. After this I went to my gynecologist and was treated for the yeast infection. I was on my period then so she couldn't tell if I also had bacterial vaginosis. About a week later, I was diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis. Then another yeast infection, and then bacterial vaginosis and more bacterial vaginosis. And now I can't remember the order, but suffice to say I was visiting my gynecologist every other week for a couple of months. She suggested my boyfriend also take Flagyl and that didn't work either. We even stopped having sex and that also didn't work. After a couple more diagnoses and treatments the bacterial vaginosis /yeast infection symptoms went away, and I was fine again for another couple of months, but now I am pretty sure I have bacterial vaginosis again. I've heard that ladies like me should stay away from: wet swimsuits, thongs, oral sex, vaginal sex, tampons, perfumed soaps, fabric softeners, tight pants, and the list goes on. I've tried avoiding these, and I still can't figure out the cause, but it is nice to know I'm not the only miserable one out there!

Published: July 23

I used to be very embarrassed talking about BV, until I read how common it is in some women. I have been suffering with BV for about 2 years. I was doing fine with it until I meet my husband. When my husband and I started dating I began it began to come back more frequently. The only thing that really worked for me was the Flagyl (pills), but it took me a while to get use to them because it made me vomit just thinking about taking them. I've used the gel about 2 times but I didn't feel confident that it was working, so I am back to the pills.

Published: July 22

I'm new to this site, but I'm also researching BV. As a teenager and young adult, I was diagnosed with yeast infections constantly. However, I don't think my OB/gyn did extensive testing; it could have been BV back then. I am now 42 years old; I've been married to the same man for 20 years. 2 years ago I had a hysterectomy and had no problems after that. Until May of this year I started bleeding for no reason - I mean just like a menstrual cycle. It was during the holiday weekend, so no doctor was in. My sister told me it could be a UTI, so she gave me a few antibiotics to use. After a couple of days, I still didn't feel well, so I visited my family doctor, who tested my urine; told me there was no sign of bacteria in the urine, but was still blood there. She told me to follow up with my ob/gyn. I visited her the first of July - was told it was BV. She prescribed me a 10 day supply of Flagyl. Symptoms still didn't disappear. On July 14, I visited again for my yearly pap - and was told the BV was still there. I just finished a 7 day round of cream which cost me $59.00. The cream burns when I use it and I have abdominal pain that I've never had before. Does anyone know if this will clear up after I stop using the cream? She also sent my urine for a culture - but I've not heard from that yet. There was no follow-up visit scheduled. How long should I wait before going back if symptoms still are there? I don't understand what caused it either. There has been no sex in my house for a year and half (due to menopause and husband's physical problems). Any comments would be appreciated.

Published: June 26

I have been fighting bacterial vaginosis off and on for the last four years and was on Flagyl everyday for the last trimester of my pregnancy because of it reoccurring! My OB/GYN recommended using Rephresh to help keep my pH at normal levels. (You can find it at all grocery and drug stores.) It's definitely helped!

Comment from: Alex, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 13

One of the good treatments for all bacterial vaginal problems is treatment with Cervugid ovules. That treatment is good for candida, trichomoniasis, Gardnerella, human papilloma virus (HPV) and more.

Comment from: Joan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I used to get a BV infection once every two or three months. When I became a vegetarian, it was maybe once every few months. Now that I am a vegan, I haven't had any infections in two years. I don't know if I will ever have one again; but I am much healthier, otherwise.

Comment from: lemontree, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I am in my 40s and have experienced chronic itching for years. I've had lots of testing because my Pap smears came up abnormal. I have been experiencing this horrible itching for almost 15 years. My latest pelvic exam revealed that I have bacterial vaginosis. I'm wondering why other doctors didn't conduct this test.

Comment from: WildNelly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I've tried mostly everything out there to get rid of BV. All the doctors could give me was antibiotics. It kept returning. A product called Flora Bliss worked the best.

Comment from: tlady, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I am 34 and it's my fourth time with BV and I been with the same man for two years. It's really embarrassing. I've had the Flagil pills and the cream before, but this time the odor is worse. I go back tomorrow to see what else they can give me, but I was told not to douche or use scented soaps down there. The doctor said it causes it. I just want it to go away. It's nasty have to take a bath a lot.

Comment from: SoOverBV, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

After several courses of Flagyl, which were unpleasant for me because of side effects which consisted of heart palpitations, the infection continued to return. Finally, my OBGYN decided to try boric acid suppositories. After getting a prescription it was difficult to find a pharmacy to fill them because they have to be made, but eventually I did find one. This was the miracle! Finally, an end to my suffering. This was also the treatment I used for yeast infections later used due to being undiagnosed as diabetic. I've read you can get the boric acid powder and empty capsules at pharmacies yourself and make them. Something I advise anyone with this problem ask their doctor and/or pharmacist about. It was a life saver for me.

Comment from: mamareils, 55-64 (Patient) Published: December 24

My husband and I have been married 35 yrs and I have been diagnosed with bv three times in six months. I too have a foul fishy odor and discharge. The symptoms occur the day or two after sex. I eat yogurt daily, am retired ( no stress!), had a hysterectomy 20 years ago but I feel I am "allergic" to my husband's sperm. I only have symptoms following sex. MetroGel works for a short period of time before the bv returns. I am going to try condoms and see if that will be effective in eliminating this embarrassing problem.

Comment from: Christina, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I had absolutely no symptoms that were unusual. I am currently 36 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed after serious pain in the early morning. After a speculum examination and cultures taken from all the expected places. Bacterial Vaginosis was confirmed I have had 2 different sets of antibiotic and am feeling some relief after nearly 2 weeks of treatment. This condition is highly unpleasant and I cannot believe how unwell I have actually been.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: November 05

I have had BV for over 20 years it took me a long time to control it. This is what I found works. 1. Hydrogen Peroxide douche 2. Non scented baby wipes it is important to stay clean 3. Ivory soap no scented soap 4. Arm and hammer free of perfumes and dyes for the laundry 5. Jarro-Dophilus from the health food store 6. Miso soup

Comment from: ScaredJen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I have suffered from BV for 2 years and just recently found out I'm pregnant, which terrifies me with this issue. Antibiotics work for a week or two but it always returns, and worse. I just wanted to let you know if you didn't already that boric acid suppositories keep the symptoms at bay for me. It stops the discharge, the itching and the god awful smell. I make them myself, it's cheap, and use them once or twice a week. You can find boric acid powder and the empty capsules at most health stores. Hope this helps some of you with everyday life. I hope someone finds a permanent cure someday.

Comment from: neworleansgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Yay, I am finally BV free! I have suffered from BV for 8 years and have recently discovered Vagisil PH Balance Feminine Wash and have had no more symptoms!

Comment from: molly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have had BV for the past 5 years on and off. I get it about a week before my period and it usually, but not always, lasts for 2 or 3 days into my period. I quit smoking for three months and it disappeared but once I started again it came back. So for me I found that stress, smoking, and the ph imbalance caused my periods to bring it on. I have tried everything from Flagyl to yogurt on tampons and gels but nothing seems to work. It might help with the symptoms but nothing seems to cure it. I need to quit smoking. And I am considering getting an implant for contraception in the hope that it will stop my period also. Hope this helps. It is really is depressing and insufferable living with this.

Comment from: Shelby, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Thank you ladies. I am 19 and I got my first BV about two years ago. I am so insecure about it. The odor, the discharge. I didn't know so many women have suffered through this along with me. I have been on two different types of pills and as they worked, the BV is re-occurring all the time. I've learned to live with it. I use PH balance wipes. But they don't really help. I'm going to try the Peroxide and tampon idea and eating yogurt daily. I will report back. I just wanted to take the time to thank you. This BV can surely make a person feel dirty and gross. It was so helpful to know that it's nothing I could control. Good luck!

Comment from: bv and secrecy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I was pregnant when I was diagnosed with BV. I am still under the care of my parents who still think that I am a virgin. I can not tell them. BV led to the natural termination of my baby at 5 weeks and two days. I have had to deal with this all by myself and now I think that my infection is back even worse. I don't know how it's affecting my period. I don't know what to do. My current boyfriend knows everything and is supportive. However, I haven't recovered from the first one. I have to be honest I didn't take the pills correctly because I was focused on the pregnancy. I am stressed because dealing with this is hard. BV is embarrassing. i was prescribed pills, I had to take certain ones because I was pregnant. I'm scared to go back to the doctors. I do not want a repeat of my last doctor visit.

Comment from: Stacey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I got BV in my early 20's and the doctor suggested I wash my underwear in baby detergent and it worked. It reappeared several years later in my mid 30's after using the feminine wipes and sprays. Now, I'm 42 and its back but I've totally narrowed it down to tampons!

Comment from: queenjank, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I have suffered from bacterial vaginosis for two years straight. Pills and gels don't help. I heard of boric acid treatment but don't know how much to use.

Comment from: CMR73, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I have suffered with bacterial infections for over 20 years now. They are so severe now, I get them about every three to four weeks and am treated with a vaginal cream. I was married for 12 years. We tried condoms and that helped a little. I definitely reacted every time we had intercourse. I am so tired of this, it is affecting my life now. I avoid dating because it is embarrassing and there seems to be no hope for the situation. Living with this is depressing.

Comment from: tipster, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I am now 20 years old and this is the second time I have been diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis. It is very embarrassing! The first time I was prescribed the "m" gel and flagyl antibiotic pills. This time only the flagyl pills, but I have to take them twice a day for a week. It was very upsetting to see the discharge one time knowing I only had one sex partner. So I became celibate. Well, here we go again. This time my doctor gave me a couple tips. 1) slow down on eating too many sweets 2) no fruity drinks they are too high in concentration 3) drink more water 4) slow down on eating starches 5) keep it cool and fresh 6) no tight clothes. Even though I only had the discharge I still found it very embarrassing and nasty. I would shower three times a day hoping I would feel cleaner. Well I hope these tips help the next person.

Comment from: bvhater, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I can tell all of you women out there that I have been dealing with this horrible problem called bacterial vaginosis for about 5 years. I can tell you a quick fix if you need to get grid of the odor and just feel "cleaner." After your shower, mix 50/50 drugstore type hydrogen peroxide and tap water. Use a syringe of some sort or a douche bottle. Douche with this mixture and you will immediately not have the smell. It should last through the night. Continue doing this for 7 days and it may fix itself. But I know how horrible the odor can be and at that moment that's all you care about.

Comment from: Desperate, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I am a sufferer of bacterial vaginosis. I have had to deal with this issue for 7 years. It is very embarrassing -- the odor, and wondering if everyone smells you, can really have you suffering from anxiety attacks. I have had to change jobs numerous times because of the issue. None of the medications that I was prescribed helped. Tindamax, Flagyl, Clindesse cream all worked for like a month or better, but the symptoms would always reappear. Bacterial vaginosis has caused my marriage to end and depression. I don't wish this on my worst enemy. Honestly if I had a choice between having bacterial vaginosis and cancer, I would take the cancer. I don't know if they will ever find a cure that gets rid of it permanently.

Comment from: cc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I have been battling bacterial vaginosis. I've been taking Golden Seal, which is a natural antibiotic. It seems to help. I've also been taking cider vinegar baths; they definitely help with the irritation. Echinacea is a natural herb that builds the immune system. I just started taking those. These things seem to help. It's only been three days, and I'm going to continue taking them.

Published: July 23

I was recently diagnosed with BV. At the time the doctors told me it was caused by stress, eating unhealthy, and abnormal sleeping patterns. I usually don't have sex, but recently got a new partner. Unfortunately, we didn't use protection, and after having sex one time symptoms occurred. About two weeks after I started realizing change in my discharge. I was scared I had an STD, I thought I was fortunate to only have BV. The doctors say it's curable, but from these comments I worry it will be reoccurring. I'm orally taking metronidazole. I've only been taking them for two days now. My symptoms were already clearing up before I started taking them, probably from abstinence. Now my only worry is having this for the rest of my life, with every new sexual partner I have.

Published: July 22

I have been suffering from BV for about a year now. 3 months into a new relationship is when I had the symptoms. I get BV almost EVERY single month. I have tried everything(using condoms, not using condoms, not douching, not even using tampons just pads, only wearing cotton panties, I don't get into pools or hot tubs). NOTHNG works. I have recently been told that your birth control could have something to do with it but have not yet switched (I currently take Ortho Sprintec so beware).

Published: June 30

I first developed bacterial vaginosis many years ago after meeting a new sexual partner. I was prescribed metronidazole, which always cleared up the BV but as long as I was still sexually active with my partner, it always returned. The relationship didn't work out and when I met someone new everything seemed fine, I had no problems. However, sadly, this relationship ended and as time passed I forgot about BV all together. I have now met a lovely man and things are going well though the BV returned when we commenced a physical relationship. If I abstained from sex at the first symptoms, the BV would clear up on its own, but this is not easy to do! I'm interested as to why BV will appear with some men but not with others and hope to find a permanent cure. I also wonder whether wearing an IUD device is contributing to the problem.

Published: June 26

I have had BV twice. Before I was first diagnosed I was aware that I had a discharge but I thought I had a yeast infection so I was using Monistat 7 and the symptoms came back. I've been in a committed relationship 2 years now and I didn't think I had an STD but just to be sure I went. The doctor examined me and without getting results back or anything he immdeiately said I'm going to prescribe u Flagyl. He said I had a minor case of BV. So I took these extremely chalky-nasty tasting pills for 2 weeks and it cleared up dramatically! I mean it was like I was an untouched teenager again. The discharge, the light smell. EVERYTHING WAS GONE! Now here it is 5 or 6 months later I have the symptoms again. Having sex unprotected sex with my fiancee I find to be one of the reasons. When the fluids mix, it could cause an imbalance in the vagina, and the research I have done so far says that all BV is a imbalance of good and bad bacteria. Since we already have good bacteria in our vagina already when we have sex unprotected it can disturb it. So as of right now...all I can do is continue to take the Flagyl medications.

Published: June 24

I have been fighting recurrences of this problem since my 20s and I am now almost 50. Nothing seems to help. I am not sexually active either, so that is no longer a trigger. I was told not to wear thongs and not to douche. I don't do either, but I notice that if I sit in a wet bathing suit for very long, it will reoccur. I also wear leggings rather than regular underwear because I need the extra support and I imagine this is not good for the anaerobic bacteria. I am about to start a new regimen of Shaklee's OptiFlora to see if this helps with making the regular vaginal and intestinal bacteria what they should be.

Published: June 17

I have had BV twice now. The first time I had it I used the one day cream and it came back. I am now getting ready to start the Flagyl pills. I wonder does it have anything to do with taking birth control pills. And if stress is a factor in triggering it, then everyone should get it.

Published: June 17

I am a sufferer of BV. I have had it for about 8 years off and on. About the same time I met my husband and began a sexual relationship with him. I have viewed other websites about this problem. I am desperate for a cure! I don't have any more answers than the next person, although I have found that eating yogurt seems to help a awful lot. I have taken to eating 1 carton a day. It really seems to help. Hope they come up with more answers soon.

Published: June 12

I have had BV pretty much on and off since I had my daughter who is now 3 yrs. old. Doctors couldn't figure out why they couldn't get rid of it. I had the same partner for over 9 years. I didn't drink much water naturally, or any other liquid for that matter so they wanted me to test that it didn't work. I took multi-vitamins and b12 complex. Stopped taking all regular vitamins and it was cured for a while. When I have to take medicine it comes back any type of upset in my system it comes back. They told me to stop having sex and that worked for a little while, but I'm sorry I need that, but even using condoms it came back. The only thing I have found to kind of helped is the supplement acidophilus 2-3x a day but it's kind of costly. 7-10$ for min. of 45 pills max I have seen so far is 60 but there could be more quantities at health food stores. I saw a previous comment on sweets affecting it. I will test that theory, I can't totally cut that out but I can cut back considerably. Also, I am in decent shape I work out every other day at least. 145lbs and 5'5" just to give you an idea physically. This is a very bothersome problem. I hope I have helped somewhat.

Published: June 11

I have been suffering from BV after finishing an antibiotic over 6 months ago. This has been a huge depressing problem for me. I don't have the cure but I started to journal and I realized that when I over do it on the sweets the symptoms got worse and I couldn't sleep at night. I toned down on the sugar and when I do that I have no symptoms.

Published: June 11

I have just been diagnosed with BV and have yet to start treatment. I am very concerned that this will reoccur even with treatment.

Published: June 10

I had this condition about 4 or 5 years ago and used the 7 day vaginal gel... it cleared up with no problems and did not return until recently when I switched sexual partners. However, this time I chose to go with the 7 day oral dose Flagyl, it seems to be clearing up but is too soon to know about reoccurrences. My doctor said there is a one day gel, but she did not advise it because the majority of patients that use it end up back in her office with the condition again shortly afterwards.

Published: May 27

I found that Flagyl the antibiotic worked for awhile but symptoms flared up again when I got stressed albeit not as bad. I am currently looking for a permanent solution myself.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I never had bacterial vaginosis until I had a Hysterectomy. I have had it back to back. My BFF had a Hysterectomy too and we both discovered this is a bad side effect to have that procedure done. This has been the worst time in my life because I'm basically told that this is something I have to live with. I no longer can take baths, no fancy soaps, just plain unscented Dove, no douching, no "Happy Sex" (All the extra's), because if I do any of these, I have to take off work and then go to the doctor, every other few days to weeks...

Comment from: Perez83, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I am 29 years old and have had bacterial vaginosis throughout an entire five years now. I have been on metronadozole 500mg it works for 3 to 4 days then back with the bacterial vaginosis plus a yeast infection! I tried the peroxide and distilled water with the soaked tampon and left in my vagina for four hours, it helps a bit. I also have douched with the peroxide and distilled water, which helped a lot but then I would get a yeast infection. I'm on metronadozole inserts now.

Comment from: acsmooth, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I really thought that I was the only one too that had this plague. I had it for 4 or five months now and it really put a damper on my sex life until the person that I was with dumped me for it .But what I've learned is that in your vagina there is a certain ph balance an you have to regulate it. I use plain yogurt as a cream to insert it because it has the live actives that could regulate your ph and it really works have not had a bad odor since.

Comment from: PassionPartiesbyDW, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

NEVER stick yogurt, hydrogen peroxide, or douches into your vagina. You can actually make it worse and cause serious problems. Your vagina is designed to cleanse itself from the inside out. Drink plenty of water and eat yogurt on a regular basis to help with the probiotics. Cut back on the coffee if you have an infection. Most of the time the infection will go away on its own. Yes, it's embarrassing and you can get them from poor diet, lack of water, not just through sexual activity. Always make sure you urinate after sex.

Comment from: It Works, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

Now clearly poor diet plays a role in bacterial vaginosis, and in female reproductive diseases, the culprits are usually the same dairy products (cheese, ice cream, sour cream, butter, and yogurt); animal flesh/meat (pork, chicken, turkey, fish, lamb, beef, and seafood); refined grains (pastries donuts, cookies, cakes; bagels, bread, crackers, etc.); refined starches (potato chips, French fries, etc.) in addition to sugar, salt, chemical preservatives, and a host of other harmful products. A sufferer of bacterial vaginosis should fast for a day or two, followed by modifying the diet. Vegetable juice should be consumed daily and should contain parsley, cilantro, garlic, and ginger in addition to other green veggies. The less cooked foods the better. Drink plenty of water. Do not wear tight clothing! Tight clothing, especially tight pants, chokes the vagina and prevents it from breathing. The vagina is a breathing orifice by nature and needs oxygen. Lack of oxygen causes anaerobia.

Comment from: Kayy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have just been diagnosed with Bacterial Vaginosis. My OB GYN prescribed oral medication which I'm picking up from the pharmacy today. My doctors said to take it for seven days and it should clear right up. Yet I have been reading some horror stories of women having Bacterial Vaginosis for 5+ years, on and off. I have been with my husband for three years and he is my only partner. As far as I know he is faithful so that is ruled out as a factor. My doctor also advised me to never use soap down there or anywhere around the pelvic area. She advised if I felt the need to use anything, let it be Mild Baby shampoo or Summers Eve sensitive wash. She made it very clear to never douche!

Comment from: chris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I found out with my reoccurring bacterial vaginosis that my immune system is down and that can also cause it to reoccur. A lot of women do not realize they have a lower immune system and it shows in their blood work, therefore causing bacteria to grow easier. Talk to your doctor about running a test for your auto-immune system, and for Epstein-Barr virus, and a Lyme disease panel. Hope this will help with answers!

Comment from: Teena11, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

For my bacterial vaginosis, my doctor has prescribed a new cream called AVC Cream. I am told it helps to balance the pH levels. I use it once a day for 30 days. My doctor also prescribed an antibiotic (NOT Flagyl) because he said it wouldn't cure the bacterial vaginosis, but it's just to help with the flora. I am crossing my fingers and hoping that this works. I'm 29 years old and have suffered from this for 4 years. I have been married to my husband for 10 years with no other sex partners.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

5mths ago I had a tampon fall out from me which I believe it may have been up there for about 3 days and since I have been experiencing an itchy red vagina. I've tried the oral meds and the gel, it's not as bad as it was but still hasn't gone away. For now for the itchiness and redness I'm using calmoseptine ointment that soothes the area. I plan to go see the doctor again.

Comment from: Claudia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I have developed severe food allergies throughout the last 4 years and believe it or not my worst allergy is to lactalbumin which is the protein in milk. Don't get confused with lactose intolerance because lactose is the sugar in dairy. I started having recurring BVs' throughout these years until I finally discovered it was my food allergy to dairy (yogurt, milk, cheese, butter, ice cream) who detonated this terrible painful and smelly infection. Now I kind of have it under control taking zyrtec and avoiding dairy to the max but every time I cannot control a craving and I have some dairy I pay for it.

Comment from: chocolate35, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I have had reccurring bacterial vaginosis ever since I was in high school now I am 35. I think using Rephresh pills daily and eating yogurt helps. Soak in a tub with a cup of apple cider vinegar to kill bad bacteria. Then put plain yogurt into your vagina with a tampon to restore good bacteria. You should see results immediately.The results are lasting.I also used Metronidizole and Flagyl gel continuously for no lasting cure. Good Luck

Published: July 11

I am 49, and have been married to same man for six years. Everything was fine until this year. My discharge is so bad I have to wear a pad. This is the first time I have ever had this. Flagyl worked, and then three weeks after I thought I was cured, it came back.

Published: July 01

I have had bacterial vaginosis on and off again for the last four years. I'm so sick of it. Nothing seems to help. The doctors can't explain why I keep getting them. I will get them one right after another for months and months. Then it will clear up for about four or five months and then start all over again. Antibiotics don't clear them up. Going without sex doesn't do it either.

Comment from: ebenson, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I treat my bacterial vaginosis with plain yogurt and rub it on my vagina. Overnight, I dip a tampon into yogurt and insert it into my vagina. Years ago my German doctor told me to do that and it always works. I also only wear cotton underwear.

Comment from: Anonymous, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

My nurse practicioner prescribed Flagyl for my bacterial vaginosis.

Comment from: RN retired, Female (Caregiver) Published: March 07

Research shows women with bacterial vaginosis are often vitamin D deficient. I had chronic bacterial vaginosis that was resistant to treatment. It went away with vitamin D supplements. I usually take 1,000 or 2,000 mg of vitamin D a day.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter