Autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) are developmental disorders that do not appear to be linked to vaccines. More people than ever are being diagnosed with an ASD, including adults. Children with autism may receive special education services. A child with an ASD may or may not have a mitochondrial disease. Read more: Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) FAQs Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Related Disease Conditions
Medical Marijuana (Medical Cannabis)
Medical marijuana (medical cannabis) is a medicine that is plant based. There are two species of medical marijuana; 1) Cannabis sativa, and 2) Cannabis indica. Medical marijuana is used to treat pain, nausea, anxiety, MS, insomnia, seizures, and muscle spasms. Medical cannabis is legal in a variety of states in the US. A card or licence is required to purchase medical marijuana in states where it is legal; however, medical cannabis is against Federal law. Medical marijuana comes in a variety of products, for example, gummy bears and other candy, muffins, cookies, drinks, salves, ointments, creams, oils, and wax.
Epilepsy is a brain disorder in which the person has seizures. There are two kinds of seizures, focal and generalized. There are many causes of epilepsy. Treatment of epilepsy (seizures) depends upon the cause and type of seizures experienced.
Autism Spectrum Disorder (in Children and Adults)
Autism in children and adults is a developmental disorder, characterized by impaired development in communication, social interaction, and behavior. Autism is classified as a pervasive developmental disorder (PDD), which is part of a broad spectrum of developmental disorders affecting young children and adults. There are numerous theories and studies about the cause of autism. The treatment model for autism is an educational program that is suitable to an individual's developmental level of performance. There is no "cure" for autism.
Cerebral palsy (CP) is an abnormality of motor function and postural tone acquired at an early age (even before birth). Cerebral palsy is generally caused by brain trauma. Types of cerebral palsy include: spastic, dyskinetic (dystonic or choreoathetoid), hypotonic, and mixed types. There is no cure for cerebral palsy, and treatment is generally managing the symptoms of the condition.
Depression in Children
Childhood depression can interfere with social activities, interests, schoolwork and family life. Symptoms and signs include anger, social withdrawal, vocal outbursts, fatigue, physical complaints, and thoughts of suicide. Treatment may involve psychotherapy and medication.
Learning disabilities can cause an individual to have trouble learning and using skills such as reading, listening, writing, reading, speaking, reasoning, and performing mathematics. There is no cure for learning disabilities. Parents and teachers working together to properly diagnose learning disabilities can properly plan a course of education. For some, medication may be appropriate as complimentary treatment.
Learn about mitochondrial disease, genetic disease in which include a group of neuromuscular diseases that are caused by damage to the mitochondria Common mitochondrial myopathies include Kearns–Sayre syndrome, myoclonus epilepsy, and mitochondrial encephalomyopathy. Symptoms of mitochondrial disease include heart failure, exercise intolerance, dementia, muscle weakness, movement disorders, deafness, blindness, stroke-like episodes, and more. There is no specific treatment for mitochondrial disease.
Auditory Processing Disorder in Children
Children with auditory processing disorders often do not recognize subtle differences between sounds in words, even though the sounds themselves are loud and clear. Symptoms of auditory processing disorder include low academic performance, behavior problems, difficulty with language and reading, and trouble paying attention. Treatment may involve auditory trainers, environmental modifications, auditory memory enhancement, and auditory integration training.
What Are the Benefits of Bone Broth?
Broth, also known as stock, made from bones of animals and birds has long been consumed as food since prehistoric times. Traditionally, it has been used as a home remedy for certain diseases, such as the flu. Bone broth is often actively promoted and used as a part of therapy for individuals suffering from a range of neurodevelopmental and psychiatric disorders.
Autism: Early Signs and Symptoms
Autism is known as a condition that falls under the category of the "autism spectrum disorders" because there is wide variation in the type and severity of symptoms people experience. Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a developmental disorder that affects communication and behavior of an individual. Autism is said to be a "developmental disorder" because the signs and symptoms of the disorder generally appear in the first two years of life. However; toddlers, teens, and adults also can have autism. Early signs and symptoms can vary amongst infants, babies, toddlers, teens, and adults that may include; no eye contact, not responding to his or her name; doesn’t babble or “baby talk”; does not use language correctly; rocking; twirling; and head banging.
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
- The Family Cat Could Be Good Medicine for Kids With Autism
- Nerves May Play Important Role in Autism
- Small Risk of Autism Seen in Babies Born Preterm and Post-Term
- Kids With Special Needs Struggling to Receive Good Care During Pandemic
- How Helpful Are Support Dogs for Kids With Autism?
- Are Many With Autism Missing Out on Key Gene Tests?
- Could Umbilical Cord Blood Help Ease Autism?
- Autism May Spur Eating Disorders in Adolescence, Study Finds
- Baby's Sleep Issues Could Sometimes Signal Autism: Study
- Screen Time for Tiniest Tots Linked to Autism-Like Symptoms
- FDA Bans Shock Devices Used on the Mentally Disabled
- Getting Quality Autism Therapy From Thousands of Miles Away
- Common Plastics Chemicals Linked to Autism Traits in Young Boys
- Girls With Autism Diagnosed Later Than Boys
- Could a Common Diuretic Med Help Ease Autism Symptoms?
- Largest-Ever Study Ties Over 100 Genes to Autism
- Brain Waves Offer Insight Into Autism-Linked Sleep Struggles
- 1 in 4 Children With Autism Is Undiagnosed: Study
- Updated Autism Guidelines Stress Earliest Screenings Possible
- Acetaminophen in Pregnancy Might Raise Children's Odds of ADHD, Autism
- Pain Twice as Common for Kids With Autism: Study
- Antidepressant Doesn't Ease Obsessive Behaviors of Autism
- Severe Morning Sickness Tied to Autism Risk in Kids
- More U.S. Kids Being Diagnosed With Autism, ADHD
- Anemia During Pregnancy Tied to Higher Odds for Autism, ADHD in Kids
- Back-to-School Tips for Kids on the Autism Spectrum
- Scientists Uncover More Autism Genes
- Unlocking Speech for Kids With Autism
- High Levels of Estrogen in Womb Might Raise Autism Risk
- Extreme Eating Habits Could Be an Early Clue to Autism
- Autism Largely Caused by Genetics, Not Environment: Study
- 'Autism Card' Program Launched in London to Help Interactions With Police
- Women's Exposure to Solvents at Work Tied to Autism in Children
- Processed Foods in Pregnancy May Be Tied to Autism
- Can Medical Marijuana Help Kids With Autism?
- Developmental Tests Might Spot Autism at Even Younger Ages
- For People With Autism, Encounters With Police Can Turn Dangerous
- 'Microbiome' May Be Key to Autism Symptoms
- Treatments Targeting Social Behavior Hormone Show Promise With Autism
- Autism Diagnoses Reliable at 14 Months, Study Finds
- Young Adults With Autism Need Jobs, But Resources Vary By State
- Could Treating Gut Bacteria Help Ease Autism Symptoms?
- Living Near Major Roads Can Slow Kids' Development: Study
- Kids With Autism 'In Tune' With Mom's Feelings: Study
- Smartphone App May Boost Social Skills in Kids With Autism
- Health Tip: Safety Risks for People With Autism
- Amazon Removes Books Making False Claims About Autism Cures
- Largest Study Ever Finds No Link Between Measles Vaccine, Autism
- Prenatal Vitamins Might Lower Risk of Second Child With Autism
- Poor Sleep Plagues Many Kids With Autism
- Research on Almost 2,000 Brains Brings Insight Into Mental Illness
- Autism, ADHD in One Child Tied to Raised Risk in Siblings
- Another Tally Puts Autism Cases at 1 in 40
- Prolonged Brain Connections Seen in Adults With Autism
- Music Therapy Helps Kids With Autism Connect to Others
- U.S. Autism Rate Rises to 1 in 40 Children: Report
- Does Air Pollution Raise Autism Risk?
- Autism Risk: Mom's Health May Matter More Than Meds
- Stigma of Autism Can Take Toll on Psyche
- Kids With Autism, Delays More Likely to Be Overweight by Age 5: Study
- Number of Autism Genes Now Tops 100
- What You Need to Know About Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Kids With Autism Learn, Grow With the 'Social Robot'
- Research Links Long-Banned Insecticide DDT to Autism
- Google Glass Helps Kids With Autism Navigate Emotions of Others
- Brain Scans Yield More Clues to Autism
- Researchers Probe Part of Brain Where Autism Might Begin
- Did Folic Acid Supplementation in Foods Lead to Less Psychosis in Kids?
- Mom's Diabetes May Be Tied to Baby's Autism Risk: Study
- Many Young People With Autism Can Become Safe Drivers: Study
- Baby Teeth Give Clues to Autism's Origins, Detection
- Screening May Miss Signs of Autism, Especially in Girls: Study
- What Helps Adults With Autism Get and Keep a Job?
- Meet Nao, the Robot That Helps Treat Kids With Autism
- More U.S. Kids Being Diagnosed With Autism
- New Autism Drug Being Tested in U.S.-Wide Trial
- Brain Cell Development Differs in Those With Autism: Study
- MRI Sheds New Light on Brain Networks Tied to Autism
- Anti-Vaccine Movement Affecting Kids With Autism
- Autism, Bipolar and Schizophrenia Share Genetic Similarities
- Prenatal Multivitamins Linked to Lower Autism Risk
- Therapy for Kids With Autism Pays Off for Moms, Dads
- Can a Spritz of 'Love Hormone' Help Kids With Autism?
- Study Cites Top Reasons Young Autism Patients Are Hospitalized
- Communication Problems Not at Root of Tantrums in Kids With Autism
- Program Helps Young Adults With Autism Find Jobs
- Young Adults With Autism Need Help Managing Money: Study
- FDA Warns Against Bogus Autism 'Cures'
- Stem Cell Therapy for Autism Shows Promise
- Vaccine Skeptic Robert Kennedy Jr. Asked to Head Trump 'Vaccination Safety' Committee
- Timing of Autism Diagnosis Tied to Choice of Treatment
- Hearing Test May Predict Autism Risk Sooner: Study
- Insurance Mandates Boost U.S. Autism Diagnoses
- Kids With Autism Do Well Learning New Words: Study
- Stomach Troubles Not Linked to Autism, Study Finds
- Kids With Autism More Likely to Wander, Less Likely to Recognize Danger
- Study Links Diabetes, Obesity in Moms-to-Be to Higher Autism Risk in Kids
- Scientists Link Brain Chemical to Autism
- Animals May Ease Social Anxiety in Children With Autism
- Undoing Autism One Toy at a Time
- Genes May Not Explain Autism That Runs in Families
- Study Hints That 'Video Feedback' Therapy May Help Curb Autism
- Different Gene Mutations May Determine Severity, Type of Autism
- Crohn's, Colitis May Have Genetic Underpinnings, Study Finds
- Brain Inflammation a Hallmark of Autism, Study Shows
- Discovery of 100-Plus Genes Tied to Autism May Improve Treatments
- Could Air Pollutants Raise a Child's Autism Risk?
- Less Flexibility Seen in Brain Wiring of Kids With Autism: Study
- Parents of Children With Autism Need Help, Too
- Researchers Say They've Found New Clues to Autism
- Early Repetitive Behaviors May Signal Autism Risk
- Smart Technology May Help Kids With Autism Learn, Communicate
- Lower Bacteria Levels in Gut May Be Tied to Autism in Kids
- Autism, ADHD Often Occur Together, Research Shows
- 'Sensory-Focused' Autism Therapy Shows Early Promise
- Kids With Autism May Perceive Movement More Quickly
- Age of Autism Diagnosis May Depend on Symptoms: Study
- Autism Researchers Surprised by Impaired Brain Connections
- Childhood Vaccine Schedule Is Safe, Report Says
- Genes Linked to Autism Seem to Have Strong Tendency to Mutate
- Brain Scans Show Differences in Adults With Autism
- Air Pollution May Raise Autism Risk
- Play-Focused Program Might Help Kids With Autism
- Family History of Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder May Up Kids' Risk for Autism
- Brain EEG Test Might Help Spot Autism: Study
- Doubt Cast on Usefulness of 'Sensory' Therapies for Autism
- Health Tip: Recognize Early Signs of Autism