Autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) are developmental disorders that do not appear to be linked to vaccines. More people than ever are being diagnosed with an ASD, including adults. Children with autism may receive special education services. A child with an ASD may or may not have a mitochondrial disease. Read more: Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) FAQs Article
Related Disease Conditions
Epilepsy is a brain disorder in which the person has seizures. There are two kinds of seizures, focal and generalized. There are...
Autism Spectrum Disorder (In Children and Adults)
Autism in children and adults is a developmental disorder, characterized by impaired development in communication, social...
Depression in Children
Childhood depression can interfere with social activities, interests, schoolwork and family life. Symptoms and signs include...
Cerebral palsy (CP) is an abnormality of motor function and postural tone acquired at an early age (even before birth). Cerebral...
Learn about mitochondrial disease, genetic disease in which include a group of neuromuscular diseases that are caused by damage...
Learning disabilities can cause an individual to have trouble learning and using skills such as reading, listening, writing,...
Auditory Processing Disorder in Children
Children with auditory processing disorders often do not recognize subtle differences between sounds in words, even though the...
Medical Marijuana (Medical Cannabis)
Medical marijuana (medical cannabis) is a medicine that is plant based. There are two species of medical marijuana; 1) Cannabis...
Autism Spectrum Disorders - Vaccines
Discuss your concern with vaccines and ASDs.Post
Autism Spectrum Disorders - Adult Diagnosis
Do you know an adult who was diagnosed with an ASD? Please share your experience.Post
Autism Spectrum Disorders - Special Education
Briefly, please discuss the special education program for ASDs in your school district or region.Post
Autism Spectrum Disorders - Mitochondrial Diseases
If you have a child with an ASD, has he or she been diagnosed with a mitochondrial disease?Post
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
- Prenatal Multivitamins Linked to Lower Autism Risk
- Therapy for Kids With Autism Pays Off for Moms, Dads
- Can a Spritz of 'Love Hormone' Help Kids With Autism?
- Study Cites Top Reasons Young Autism Patients Are Hospitalized
- Communication Problems Not at Root of Tantrums in Kids With Autism
- Program Helps Young Adults With Autism Find Jobs
- Young Adults With Autism Need Help Managing Money: Study
- FDA Warns Against Bogus Autism 'Cures'
- Stem Cell Therapy for Autism Shows Promise
- Vaccine Skeptic Robert Kennedy Jr. Asked to Head Trump 'Vaccination Safety' Committee
- Timing of Autism Diagnosis Tied to Choice of Treatment
- Hearing Test May Predict Autism Risk Sooner: Study
- Insurance Mandates Boost U.S. Autism Diagnoses
- Kids With Autism Do Well Learning New Words: Study
- Stomach Troubles Not Linked to Autism, Study Finds
- Kids With Autism More Likely to Wander, Less Likely to Recognize Danger
- Study Links Diabetes, Obesity in Moms-to-Be to Higher Autism Risk in Kids
- Scientists Link Brain Chemical to Autism
- Animals May Ease Social Anxiety in Children With Autism
- Undoing Autism One Toy at a Time
- Genes May Not Explain Autism That Runs in Families
- Study Hints That 'Video Feedback' Therapy May Help Curb Autism
- Different Gene Mutations May Determine Severity, Type of Autism
- Crohn's, Colitis May Have Genetic Underpinnings, Study Finds
- Brain Inflammation a Hallmark of Autism, Study Shows
- Discovery of 100-Plus Genes Tied to Autism May Improve Treatments
- Could Air Pollutants Raise a Child's Autism Risk?
- Less Flexibility Seen in Brain Wiring of Kids With Autism: Study
- Parents of Children With Autism Need Help, Too
- Researchers Say They've Found New Clues to Autism
- Early Repetitive Behaviors May Signal Autism Risk
- Smart Technology May Help Kids With Autism Learn, Communicate
- Lower Bacteria Levels in Gut May Be Tied to Autism in Kids
- Autism, ADHD Often Occur Together, Research Shows
- 'Sensory-Focused' Autism Therapy Shows Early Promise
- Kids With Autism May Perceive Movement More Quickly
- Age of Autism Diagnosis May Depend on Symptoms: Study
- Autism Researchers Surprised by Impaired Brain Connections
- Childhood Vaccine Schedule Is Safe, Report Says
- Genes Linked to Autism Seem to Have Strong Tendency to Mutate
- Brain Scans Show Differences in Adults With Autism
- Air Pollution May Raise Autism Risk
- Play-Focused Program Might Help Kids With Autism
- Family History of Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder May Up Kids' Risk for Autism
- Brain EEG Test Might Help Spot Autism: Study
- Doubt Cast on Usefulness of 'Sensory' Therapies for Autism
- Health Tip: Recognize Early Signs of Autism
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Children's Health & Parenting Newsletter