Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) diagnosis requires two steps -- developmental screening and comprehensive diagnostic evaluation. Develpmental screening helps tell if children have delays. Comprehensive diagnostic evaulation may include looking at the child's behavior and development and interviewing the parents. It may also include hearing and vision screening, genetic testing, neurological testing, and other medical testing. Read more: Autism Screening and Diagnosis Article
Related Disease Conditions
Autism Spectrum Disorder (In Children and Adults)
Autism in children and adults is a developmental disorder, characterized by impaired development in communication, social...
Your health care provider may refer you to a genetic professional. Universities and medical centers also often have affiliated...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
- Can Medical Marijuana Help Kids With Autism?
- Developmental Tests Might Spot Autism at Even Younger Ages
- For People With Autism, Encounters With Police Can Turn Dangerous
- 'Microbiome' May Be Key to Autism Symptoms
- Treatments Targeting Social Behavior Hormone Show Promise With Autism
- Autism Diagnoses Reliable at 14 Months, Study Finds
- Young Adults With Autism Need Jobs, But Resources Vary By State
- Could Treating Gut Bacteria Help Ease Autism Symptoms?
- Kids With Autism 'In Tune' With Mom's Feelings: Study
- Smartphone App May Boost Social Skills in Kids With Autism
- Amazon Removes Books Making False Claims About Autism Cures
- Poor Sleep Plagues Many Kids With Autism
- Autism, ADHD in One Child Tied to Raised Risk in Siblings
- Another Tally Puts Autism Cases at 1 in 40
- Prolonged Brain Connections Seen in Adults With Autism
- Music Therapy Helps Kids With Autism Connect to Others
- U.S. Autism Rate Rises to 1 in 40 Children: Report
- Does Air Pollution Raise Autism Risk?
- Autism Risk: Mom's Health May Matter More Than Meds
- Stigma of Autism Can Take Toll on Psyche
- Kids With Autism, Delays More Likely to Be Overweight by Age 5: Study
- Number of Autism Genes Now Tops 100
- What You Need to Know About Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Kids With Autism Learn, Grow With the 'Social Robot'
- Research Links Long-Banned Insecticide DDT to Autism
- Google Glass Helps Kids With Autism Navigate Emotions of Others
- Brain Scans Yield More Clues to Autism
- Researchers Probe Part of Brain Where Autism Might Begin
- Did Folic Acid Supplementation in Foods Lead to Less Psychosis in Kids?
- Mom's Diabetes May Be Tied to Baby's Autism Risk: Study
- Allergies More Common in Kids With Autism
- Baby Teeth Give Clues to Autism's Origins, Detection
- Screening May Miss Signs of Autism, Especially in Girls: Study
- What Helps Adults With Autism Get and Keep a Job?
- Meet Nao, the Robot That Helps Treat Kids With Autism
- More U.S. Kids Being Diagnosed With Autism
- Doctor Who Gave Name to Asperger's Syndrome Worked With Nazis: Report
- New Autism Drug Being Tested in U.S.-Wide Trial
- Brain Cell Development Differs in Those With Autism: Study
- MRI Sheds New Light on Brain Networks Tied to Autism
- Anti-Vaccine Movement Affecting Kids With Autism
- Mom's Pre-Pregnancy Waist Size Tied to Autism Risk
- Facebook May Be 'Safe' Social Space for Adults With Autism
- Genes May Explain Why Kids With Autism Avoid Eye Contact
- When is Tourette Syndrome Actually Autism?
- Study Cites Top Reasons Young Autism Patients Are Hospitalized
- Special Brain Scans May Predict Autism in High-Risk Babies
- Young Adults With Autism Need Help Managing Money: Study
- FDA Warns Against Bogus Autism 'Cures'
- 'Video Feedback' Program Might Help Treat Autism in Babies
- Muppet With Autism Makes Her 'Sesame Street' Debut
- Stem Cell Therapy for Autism Shows Promise
- Timing of Autism Diagnosis Tied to Choice of Treatment
- Hearing Test May Predict Autism Risk Sooner: Study
- Insurance Mandates Boost U.S. Autism Diagnoses
- Autism Diagnosed at Younger Ages
- Stomach Troubles Not Linked to Autism, Study Finds
- Animals May Ease Social Anxiety in Children With Autism
- Genes May Not Explain Autism That Runs in Families
- Study Hints That 'Video Feedback' Therapy May Help Curb Autism
- Crohn's, Colitis May Have Genetic Underpinnings, Study Finds
- Brain Inflammation a Hallmark of Autism, Study Shows
- Minority Kids May Be Missed in Autism Diagnoses: Study
- Discovery of 100-Plus Genes Tied to Autism May Improve Treatments
- Could Air Pollutants Raise a Child's Autism Risk?
- Broccoli Compound Shows Promise for Autism Symptoms in Small Study
- Kids With Autism Have Extra Brain Connections, Study Says
- Different Areas of Brain Affected in Autism, Sensory Disorders
- Less Flexibility Seen in Brain Wiring of Kids With Autism: Study
- Researchers Say They've Found New Clues to Autism
- Early Repetitive Behaviors May Signal Autism Risk
- Younger Siblings of Kids With Autism May Show Early Signs of Problems
- Kids With Autism Outperformed Others on Math Test, Study Found
- Smart Technology May Help Kids With Autism Learn, Communicate
- Lower Bacteria Levels in Gut May Be Tied to Autism in Kids
- Autism, ADHD Often Occur Together, Research Shows
- 'Sensory-Focused' Autism Therapy Shows Early Promise
- Kids With Autism May Perceive Movement More Quickly
- Reduced 'Fine-Tuning' of Brain May Hamper Face Recognition in Autism