Autism in children and adults is a developmental disorder, characterized by impaired development in communication, social interaction, and behavior. Autism is classified as a pervasive developmental disorder (PDD), which is part of a broad spectrum of developmental disorders affecting young children and adults. There are numerous theories and studies about the cause of autism. The treatment model for autism is an educational program that is suitable to an individual's developmental level of performance. There is no "cure" for autism. Read more: Autism Spectrum Disorder (In Children and Adults) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Autism Quiz: Test Your IQ of Autism Spectrum Disorder
Take the Autism Spectrum Disorder Quiz related to the causes, reasons, symptoms, treatment, diagnosis, and therapies for this...
Picture of Tuberous Sclerosis (Adenoma Sebaceum)
Small erythematous papules on the nose and cheeks of a child representing angiofibromata. See a Tuberous Sclerosis (Adenoma...
Picture of Tuberous Sclerosis (Fibrous Plaque)
Raised skin-colored plaque on the forehead of a child representing a connective tissue nevus. See a Tuberous Sclerosis (Fibrous...
Picture of Tuberous Sclerosis (Periungual Fibroma)
Flesh-colored periungual papule appearing in adolescence in an individual with tuberous sclerosis. See a Tuberous Sclerosis...
Autism Signs in Children: What Is Autism Spectrum Disorder?
What is autism? Learn about the signs, symptoms, and diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder. Get information about the causes of...
Related Disease Conditions
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Peptic Ulcer (Stomach Ulcer)
Peptic or stomach ulcers are ulcers are an ulcer in the lining of the stomach, duodenum, or esophagus. Ulcer formation is related...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
High blood pressure is defined as a pressure of 140/90 mmHg or higher in the arteries. Genetic factors, high salt intake, and...
Gestational diabetes is a condition that is first recognized during pregnancy and is characterized by high blood sugar....
The definition of a genetic disease is a disorder or condition caused by abnormalities in a person's genome. Some types of...
Asperger's Syndrome (Asperger Syndrome, Asperger Disorder)
Asperger's syndrome (AS, Asperger syndrome, Asperger disorder) is an autism spectrum disorder. Asperger's syndrome is...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Seizures Symptoms and Types
Seizures are divided into two categories: generalized and partial. Generalized seizures are produced by electrical impulses from...
Epilepsy is a brain disorder in which the person has seizures. There are two kinds of seizures, focal and generalized. There are...
Brain Lesions (Lesions on the Brain)
A brain lesion is defined as an area of damaged brain. Brain lesions (lesions on the brain) are caused by: trauma,...
Get the facts on Down syndrome, a genetic disorder caused by an additional set of chromosomes in a developing fetus. Down...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Misophonia is defined as the hatred of sound. Symptoms of this condition include a negative emotional response to certain trigger...
Schizophrenia is a disabling brain disorder that may cause hallucinations and delusions and affect a person's ability to...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Pervasive Development Disorders
Pervasive development disorders (PPDs) are conditions involving developmental delays in children. There are five types of PDDs:...
Depression in Children
Childhood depression can interfere with social activities, interests, schoolwork and family life. Symptoms and signs include...
Fragile X Syndrome
Fragile X syndrome is the most common inherited form of mental retardation. It's caused by a mutation on the X chromosome. People...
The most common food allergies are to eggs, nuts, milk, peanuts, fish, shellfish, strawberries and tomatoes. Symptoms and signs...
Childhood ADD or ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Children)
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) causes the following symptoms in children: excessive activity, problems...
Learn about mitochondrial disease, genetic disease in which include a group of neuromuscular diseases that are caused by damage...
Learning disabilities can cause an individual to have trouble learning and using skills such as reading, listening, writing,...
Face Blindness (Prosopagnosia)
Face blindness (prosopagnosia) is a condition that causes the inability to recognize faces. Face blindness may be caused by...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Teeth Grinding (Bruxism)
Bruxism is the medical term for teeth grinding. Bruxism may be caused by stress or anxiety and often happens during sleep....
Aphasia is a condition that is the result of damage to portions of the brain. It can be caused by stroke, head injury, brain...
Good parenting helps foster empathy, honesty, self-reliance, self-control, kindness, cooperation, and cheerfulness, says...
Landau-Kleffner syndrome (LKS, infantile acquired aphasia, acquired epileptic aphasia, or aphasia with convulsive disorder), a...
Auditory Processing Disorder in Children
Children with auditory processing disorders often do not recognize subtle differences between sounds in words, even though the...
Medical Marijuana (Medical Cannabis)
Medical marijuana (medical cannabis) is a medicine that is plant based. There are two species of medical marijuana; 1) Cannabis...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Tuberous Sclerosis Complex (TSC)
Tuberous sclerosis complex (TSC) is a rare genetic disease caused by defects on two genes. The signs and symptoms of TSC vary...
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) FAQs
Autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) are developmental disorders that do not appear to be linked to vaccines. More people than ever...
Autism and Communication - Symptoms
What were the symptoms of your child's autism initially?Post View 10 Comments
Autism - Experience
Please describe your experience with autism.Post View 4 Comments
Autism Spectrum Disorder - Types
What type of autism were you or your child diagnosed with? Please discuss your experience.Post View 2 Comments
Autism Spectrum Disorder - Impact on Family
In what ways has autism affected your family?Post View 2 Comments
Autism Spectrum Disorder - Causes
What do you believe is the cause of your child's autism?Post View 4 Comments
Autism Spectrum Disorder - Vaccines
Did concern about autism cause you to withhold vaccinating your child? Briefly, please share your story.Post View 2 Comments
Autism Spectrum Disorder - Diet and Supplements
What dietary changes have you made in the treatment of your autistic child?Post View 2 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Developmental-Behavioral Pediatrician in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Difficulty With Speech
- Weight Gain
- Loss of Speech
- Inability to Regulate Emotions
- Catatonia (Catatonic Behavior)
- Abnormal Facial Expressions
- Unusual Behavior
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Lack of Facial Expressions
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Prenatal Multivitamins Linked to Lower Autism Risk
- Researchers Learn More About Gender's Role in Autism Risk
- Genetics a Cause of Autism in Most Cases: Study
- Could Folic Acid Fight a Cause of Autism?
- Back to School, Back to Planning for Kids With Autism, ADHD
- Does Autism Risk Reside in Cells' Energy Engines?
- Therapy for Kids With Autism Pays Off for Moms, Dads
- Can Scans Predict Some Autism Cases?
- Antidepressants in Pregnancy Tied to Slight Increase in Autism
- Genes May Explain Why Kids With Autism Avoid Eye Contact
- Can a Spritz of 'Love Hormone' Help Kids With Autism?
- When is Tourette Syndrome Actually Autism?
- Study Cites Top Reasons Young Autism Patients Are Hospitalized
- Fever During Pregnancy Tied to Autism in Study
- Special Brain Scans May Predict Autism in High-Risk Babies
- Baby Teeth Study Points to Links Between Autism, Lead Levels
- Communication Problems Not at Root of Tantrums in Kids With Autism
- Special Diets, Supplements for Autism Still a Question Mark
- Autism's 'Worryingly' High Suicide Rates Spur Conference
- Treat Autism Even Before Symptoms Show?
- Program Helps Young Adults With Autism Find Jobs
- Tracking Devices May Ease Minds of Parents of Kids With Autism
- Could Smoking in Pregnancy Affect a Grandkid's Autism Risk?
- Studies Question Link Between Mom's Antidepressant Use, Autism in Kids
- FDA Warns Against Bogus Autism 'Cures'
- 1 in 3 Teens With Autism Licensed to Drive, Study Finds
- 'Video Feedback' Program Might Help Treat Autism in Babies
- Muppet With Autism Makes Her 'Sesame Street' Debut
- Stem Cell Therapy for Autism Shows Promise
- Parents of Kids With Autism May Sacrifice 'Couples Time'
- Teens With Autism More Likely to Land in ER, Study Finds
- Autism Greatly Boosts Kids' Injury Risk, Especially for Drowning
- Could a Blood Test Spot Autism in Childhood?
- Experimental Test Can Spot Autism in Infancy
- Low-Income Kids More Likely to Have ADHD, Asthma
- Brain Differences Hint at Why Autism Is More Common in Males
- U.S. Legislation Boosted Access to Autism Services, With No Added Cost to Families
- Obstetric Complications Tied to Slightly Upped Risk for Autism
- Fecal Transplant Shows Early Promise Against Autism
- Should a Mental Disability Keep Patients Off Organ Transplant Lists?
- Stress May Explain Digestive Issues in Kids With Autism
- Parent-Led Autism Therapy Shows Lasting Benefits
- Obesity More Common Among Teens With Autism: Study
- Autism-Linked Genes Often Differ Between Siblings
- Diabetes Drug May Help Kids With Autism Fight Unwanted Pounds
- Banned PCB Chemicals Still Tied to Autism in U.S. Kids
- Timing of Autism Diagnosis Tied to Choice of Treatment
- Hearing Test May Predict Autism Risk Sooner: Study
- Fido a Friend to Parents of Kids With Autism
- Induced Labor Won't Raise Autism Risk in Kids, Research Suggests
- Insurance Mandates Boost U.S. Autism Diagnoses
- Too Much Folic Acid in Pregnancy Tied to Raised Autism Risk in Study
- Baby's Immune System Might Hint at Autism Risk
- Kids With Autism Do Well Learning New Words: Study
- Study Suggests Aerial Pesticide Spraying Tied to Higher Autism Rates
- Training Program for Those With Autism Often Results in Low-Paying Jobs: Study
- Study Suggests Aerial Pesticide Spraying Tied to Higher Autism Rates
- 'Wandering' a Hazard for More Than a Third of Kids With Autism
- Autism Diagnosed at Younger Ages
- Tracking Kids' Eye Movements Might Shed New Light on Autism
- Short Gap Between Pregnancies Tied to Higher Autism Risk?
- U.S. Autism Rate Unchanged at 1 in 68 Kids: CDC
- Psychological Disorders Affect 1 in 7 U.S. Kids Under 9: CDC
- Stomach Troubles Not Linked to Autism, Study Finds
- Kids With Autism More Likely to Wander, Less Likely to Recognize Danger
- Panel Undecided on Screening All Kids for Autism
- Study Links Diabetes, Obesity in Moms-to-Be to Higher Autism Risk in Kids
- Genetically Modified Monkeys Might Aid Autism Research
- More Evidence Preterm Birth Could Raise Autism Risk
- Study Ties Autism Risk to Prenatal Exposure to Asthma Drugs
- Study: Extremely Premature Babies at Greater Risk for Autism
- Scientists Link Brain Chemical to Autism
- Antidepressants in Pregnancy May Raise Autism Risk, Study Suggests
- Ovarian Cyst Condition in Mom May Raise Odds for Autism in Child
- CDC: Child Autism Rate Now 1 in 45 After Survey Method Changes
- Weight Gain a Challenge for Children With Autism: Study
- Oxytocin 'Love Hormone' Nasal Spray Shows Promise in Kids With Autism
- ADHD May Mask Autism in Young Kids
- Pregnancy Intervals May Affect Autism Risk, Study Suggests
- Breast-Feeding Tied to Better Emotion Perception in Some Infants
- Autism Behaviors May Differ in Boys and Girls
- Cutting-Edge Gene Tests May Improve Management of Autism
- Social Skills Program for Young Adults With Autism Shows Promise
- Autism Care Costs Could Hit $500 Billion by 2025: Study
- Hormone Linked to Social Difficulties With Autism, Early Study Finds
- Dad's Involvement With Autistic Child Helps Mom, Too
- Superior Visual Ability Found Early in Children With Autism
- Parents' Age May Be Factor in Child's Autism Risk
- Special Diets, Supplements Not Always Helpful for Kids With Autism
- Autism Linked to Higher Smog Levels, Study Says
- Animals May Ease Social Anxiety in Children With Autism
- Adults With Autism Fare Poorly in Job Interviews, Study Finds
- Girls With Autism Fare Worse Than Boys, Study Finds
- Common Sports, Hobbies Often Popular Among People With Autism
- Autism May Differ in Brains of Boys and Girls
- Milder Autism Typically Diagnosed Later in Girls
- Another Study Finds No Vaccine-Autism Link
- Many Young Adults With Autism Face Unemployment, Isolation
- Training Programs for Parents Tied to Better Behavior in Kids With Autism
- Is Gestational Diabetes Linked to Autism?
- Doctors Often Ignore Parents' Concerns About Autism in Young Kids: Study
- Father's Sperm May Hold Clues to Autism Risk
- Brain Scans May Predict Language Skills in Kids With Autism
- Undoing Autism One Toy at a Time
- Scientists Spot Gene Tied to Severe Autism in Girls
- Autism Tied to Higher Risk for Gut Troubles in Children
- IVF Kids May Have Higher Odds of Autism, Study Finds
- Autism-Linked Genes May Be Tied to Slightly Higher IQ
- Program for 1-Year-Olds Tries to Lessen Autism's Impact
- Some Kids With Autism Show Improvement by Age 6: Study
- Autism Genes Vary, Even in Affected Siblings, Study Finds
- Genes May Not Explain Autism That Runs in Families
- Study Hints That 'Video Feedback' Therapy May Help Curb Autism
- Those With Autism May Have Unique Brain Connections, Study Shows
- Autism Signs May Be Missed in Short Checkups
- Can Pets Help Boost Social Skills for Kids With Autism?
- Different Gene Mutations May Determine Severity, Type of Autism
- Crohn's, Colitis May Have Genetic Underpinnings, Study Finds
- Pregnancy Complication Linked to Autism
- Brain Inflammation a Hallmark of Autism, Study Shows
- Should Men Worry About Being Too Old to Have Kids?
- Holidays Can Be Sensory Overload for Kids With Autism
- Minority Kids May Be Missed in Autism Diagnoses: Study
- Better Detection, Diagnosis Major Factors Behind Rise in Autism Cases: Study
- Discovery of 100-Plus Genes Tied to Autism May Improve Treatments
- More Clues to Spotting Autism in Siblings of Those With Disorder
- Could Air Pollutants Raise a Child's Autism Risk?
- Broccoli Compound Shows Promise for Autism Symptoms in Small Study
- Kids With Autism Tend to Be Less Active, Study Says
- Spacing Between Sibling Births Tied to Autism Risk in Study
- Boys With Autism Show Certain Grammar Skills in Study
- Brainwaves May Help Gauge Autism Severity: Study
- Could Low Iron Intake During Pregnancy Raise Autism Risk?
- Estrogen Receptor May Play a Role in Autism
- Spotting, Treating Autism Symptoms in Infancy May Prevent Delays
- Taking Action Early May Protect Against Autism
- Kids With Autism Have Extra Brain Connections, Study Says
- 'Love Hormone' Oxytocin May Play Key Role in Kids' Social Skills
- Preschoolers With Special Needs May Gain From 'Inclusion' Classrooms
- Different Areas of Brain Affected in Autism, Sensory Disorders
- Less Flexibility Seen in Brain Wiring of Kids With Autism: Study
- 'Love Hormone' Oxytocin May Help Some With Autism
- Parents of Children With Autism Need Help, Too
- Common Genes Implicated in Autism Study
- Researchers Say They've Found New Clues to Autism
- iPads May Help Boost Speaking Skills in Kids With Autism: Study
- Routine Ultrasounds May Detect Autism in Utero
- Mother's Birthplace May Affect Autism Risk in Kids
- Adults With Asperger Syndrome May Have Higher Suicide Risk
- Study Links Pesticide Exposure During Pregnancy to Autism Risk in Kids
- Parents of a Child With Autism Often Forgo Further Childbearing: Study
- Genetic 'Networks' May Play Role in Autism
- Hormone Levels in Womb Tied to Autism Risk in Boys: Study
- Scientists See Environmental Changes to Genes in Kids With Autism
- Adults With Autism at Risk for Many Health Problems: Study
- Early Repetitive Behaviors May Signal Autism Risk
- Study Probes Why Kids With Autism Are Oversensitive to Touch, Noise
- Health Tip: Dealing With an Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Skills Like Walking, Talking Don't Come Easily for Minority Kids With Autism
- Genes, Environment May Play Equal Parts in Autism Risk: Study
- Older Mothers at Higher Risk of Child With Autism, Study Suggests
- Autism Affects Motor Skills Too
- FDA Warns Against Bogus Autism Treatments
- Gastro Woes More Common in Kids With Autism: Review
- FDA Reconsiders Behavior-Modifying 'Shock Devices'
- No Connection Between Induced Labor, Autism: Obgyns
- Key Brain 'Networks' May Differ in Autism, Study Suggests
- Family Dog Can Help Kids With Autism
- Study Ties Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy to Autism Risk in Boys
- Could Dads' Obesity Raise Autism Risk for Kids?
- U.S. Autism Estimates Rise by 30 Percent for Kids
- More Signs Autism May Originate During Pregnancy
- More Evidence Environmental Exposures Contribute to Autism
- Autism, ADHD Tied to Gender Concerns in Some Kids: Study
- Younger Siblings of Kids With Autism May Show Early Signs of Problems
- Gene Study Offers Clues to Why Autism Strikes More Males
- Newly Discovered Gene May Shed Light on Certain Brain Disorders
- Autism Costs Average $17,000 Yearly for Each Child, Study Finds
- Brain Study Explores 'Inner World' of Autism
- Infants' Response to Talking Faces May Be Clue to Autism
- A Challenge at Work Might Ease Autism Symptoms in Adults
- New Diagnosis Rules Could Lead to Drop in Autism Numbers
- Sight, Sound Out of Sync in Kids With Autism, Study Finds
- Alternative Therapies Widely Used for Autism
- Can Bacterial Infections During Pregnancy Raise Autism Risk?
- Antidepressant Use During Pregnancy Not Linked to Autism
- Could a Tiny Worm Help Treat Autism?
- Sensory Therapy Might Work for Kids With Autism
- Taking Antidepressants During Pregnancy May Not Raise Autism Risk
- 'Mixing' of Senses More Common in Autism: Study
- Research Probes Autism's Origins in the Brain
- People With Autism May Recognize Faces in Different Way: Study
- Bedroom TV, Video Games Linked to Less Sleep in Boys With Autism
- U.S. Adults With Autism May Face Housing Crisis
- What Happens When a Child With Autism Refuses Most Foods?
- Inside the Autistic Brain: New Research Challenges Current Beliefs
- Autism Sign May Appear in First Months of Life
- Stomach Troubles Common for Kids With Autism, Study Confirms
- Autism, Language Problems May Be Linked in Families: Study
- More Weight Gain in Pregnancy Tied to Higher Autism Risk for Kids: Study
- Moms With Lupus More Likely to Have Children With Autism, Study Suggests
- Many Kids With Autism on Multiple Medications, Study Finds
- Missing Genes May Be Tied to Development of Autism: Study
- Kids With Autism Often Have Trouble Sleeping, Study Shows
- Teaching Sleep Tips to Parents Seems to Help Kids With Autism
- Study Finds No Connection Between Autism, Celiac Disease
- Genetic Condition May Be Mistaken for Autism in Some Kids: Report
- Young Adults With Autism Less Likely to Have Jobs, Live Independently
- 'Love Hormone' May Affect Social Connections
- New Clues to Causes of Autism Found
- More Links Seen Between Autism, ADHD
- What Is 'Play' to a Child With Autism?
- Who Will Care for Children With Autism When They're Adults?
- A Mother's Hopes and Worries for Adult Sons With Autism
- Autism May Be Overlooked in Young Latino Children
- Determining Child's Risk When Older Sibling Has Autism
- Kids With Autism Outperformed Others on Math Test, Study Found
- Autism Coverage Varies From State to State
- Induced Labor Linked to Raised Risk of Autism, Study Suggests
- Smart Technology May Help Kids With Autism Learn, Communicate
- Young People With Autism Find Work Through Job Training Program
- Brain Chemistry Differs in Kids With Autism: Study
- Video Game 'Addiction' More Likely With Autism, ADHD
- Study Sees No Link Between Mercury Exposure, Autistic Behavior
- Brain Wired Differently in Those With Autism: Study
- Mother's Immune System Might Play Role in Certain Cases of Autism
- Extra Brain Fluid May Predict Autism Diagnosis: Study
- Struggles With Motor Skills Compound Social Problems in Autism
- Lower Bacteria Levels in Gut May Be Tied to Autism in Kids
- 'Hyperconnectivity' Seen in Brains of Children With Autism
- Gluten Allergy May Play Role in Gastro Woes in Kids With Autism
- Polluted Air Linked to Autism Risk
- Kids With Autism May Find Human Voice Unpleasant
- Minority Kids With Autism Less Likely to Use Specialty Services: Study
- Autism, ADHD Often Occur Together, Research Shows
- 'Sensory-Focused' Autism Therapy Shows Early Promise
- For Kids With Autism, a Day at the Races With NASCAR
- Word Tests at Age 2 Might Predict Gains for Kids With Autism, Study Finds
- Latest Edition of Psychiatry's 'Bible' Launched Amid Controversy
- Kids With Autism May Perceive Movement More Quickly
- Extreme Birth Weights Tied to Autism in Swedish Study
- Drug Shows Some Benefit for Kids With Autism
- Girls With Autism May Need Different Treatments Than Boys
- Kelly the Robot Helps Kids Tackle Autism
- Study Debunks Lyme Disease-Autism Link
- Newborn's Placenta May Predict Autism Risk, Study Suggests
- Prenatal Use of Common Epilepsy Drug Tied to Higher Autism Risk
- Kids' Learning Disabilities May Have Multiple Causes
- Age of Autism Diagnosis May Depend on Symptoms: Study
- Kids With Autism May Be Less Likely to Imitate 'Silly' Behavior
- Another Study Sees No Vaccine-Autism Link
- Reduced 'Fine-Tuning' of Brain May Hamper Face Recognition in Autism
- Having Older Grandfather May Raise Child's Autism Risk: Study
- Women Abused in Childhood at Higher Odds of Having Child With Autism: Study
- Suicidal Thoughts More Common in Kids With Autism: Study
- Brain Circuitry Yields Clue to Autism, Researchers Say
- One in 50 School-Aged Children in U.S. Has Autism: CDC
- Most Kids With Autism Overcome Language Delays, Study Finds
- Shared Genes May Link ADHD, Autism and Depression
- Brain Connections Differ in Children With Autism
- Can Therapy Dogs Help Kids With Autism?
- Folic Acid in Pregnancy May Lower Autism Risk
- Infants' Inattentiveness Might Signal Later Autism, Study Says
- Autism Researchers Surprised by Impaired Brain Connections
- Childhood Vaccine Schedule Is Safe, Report Says
- Autism Recovery Possible for Some, Study Suggests
- Researchers Link 25 New Gene Variants to Autism
- Genes Linked to Autism Seem to Have Strong Tendency to Mutate
- Asperger's and Violence: Experts Weigh In
- Many Adults With Autism Unhappy With Their Health Care
- Asperger's, Autism Not Linked to Violence: Experts
- Gene Study Uncovers More Autism Clues
- Generic Drug May Ease Autism in Children
- Common Heart Drug Might Dampen Some Autism Symptoms
- Kids With Autism Common Users of ERs, Study Says
- Big Changes in Psychiatry's 'Bible' of Disorders
- Could Baby's Crying Give Clues to Autism?
- Brain Scans Show Differences in Adults With Autism
- Air Pollution May Raise Autism Risk
- Kids With Autism and Child Prodigies May Share Certain Traits
- Flu During Pregnancy May Be Linked to Autism Risk
- Play-Focused Program Might Help Kids With Autism
- Early Autism Treatment Benefits Kids' Brains
- Kids With Autism Find It Hard to Describe Poor Behavior, Study Finds
- Could Stem Cells Treat Autism? Newly Approved Study May Tell
- Too Many Autistic Children Wander Off
- New Autism Criteria Will Have Minor Impact: Study
- Many Children With Autism Have Other Health Problems, Study Says
- Research Lacking on Drugs for Older Children With Autism, Study Finds
- Drug Shows Promise Against Fragile X Syndrome, Possibly Autism
- Improved Developmental Screening Urged for Hispanic Kids
- Almost Half of U.S. Kids With Autism Have Been Bullied
- Little Evidence on Value of Treatments for Autism: Report
- Father's Age Linked to Autism
- Pets May Help Kids With Autism
- Test May Spot Autism in Young Children
- Brain EEG Test Might Help Spot Autism: Study
- Kids With Autism Face Health Care Disparities, Study Finds
- Fever During Pregnancy May Raise Odds for Autism in Offspring
- Doubt Cast on Usefulness of 'Sensory' Therapies for Autism
- Most Children With Autism Diagnosed at 5 or Older
- Genetic Test May Spot Raised Autism Risk
- Could Nasal Spray of 'Love Hormone' Treat Autism?
- Developmental Woes Common in Siblings of Children With Autism
- Infant Head Lag May Signal Autism
- Autism: Life After High School a Challenging Time
- Prenatal Smoking Linked to High-Functioning Autism in Kids
- Health Tip: Recognize Early Signs of Autism
- Being Bullied Tied to Anxiety, Depression in Special-Needs Kids
- Battling the Bullying of an Autistic Child
- Half-Siblings of Those With Autism at Raised Risk for Disorder: Study
- Benefits of Antidepressants in Autism Overstated?
- Genes Associated With Autism Also Related to Schizophrenia
- In Mice, Drug Reverses Symptoms of Condition Linked to Autism
- Online Tool Could Diagnose Autism Quickly, Developers Say
- Mom's Health While Pregnant Linked to Autism Risk
- Researchers Find Gene Mutations That May Be a Key to Autism
- Two-Thirds of Kids With Autism Have Been Bullied: Study
- Certain Children With Autism Show More Improvement Than Others
- People With Autism May Be Better at Processing Information
- Study Might Explain Brain Overgrowth Seen in Autism
- When a Child With Autism Wanders, It's Crucial to Stay a Step Ahead
- Vacationing With a Wanderer Demands Planning
- Deaf People Have More Mental Health Problems, Less Access to Care
- Mothers of Kids With Autism Earn Less, Study Shows
- 'Parent Training' May Help Kids With Autism Behave Better
- Meds for Autism Not Well Understood: Study
- Autism Diagnosis Often Occurs Later for Black Children
- Brain Scans Might Spot Autism as Early as 6 Months of Age
- Teens With Autism Preoccupied With TV, Video Games: Study
- Health Highlights: Feb. 8, 2012
- Health Highlights: Jan. 26, 2012
- Brain Activity May Help Predict Autism Before Age 1: Study
- Mutations in 2 Genes Linked to Rare Autism-Related Disorder
- Health Highlights: Jan. 25, 2012
- Can Low Birth Weight Raise Autism Risk?
- 'Inner Dialogue' Might Aid People With Autism
- Smoking During Pregnancy Not Linked to Autism
- Why Some Children May ‘Grow Out' of Autism
- Is Continued Lip-Reading an Early Sign of Autism?
- Little Known About How Autism Affects Teen Drivers: Researchers
- Blinking May Yield Clues About Autism
- Broadway Strikes an Autism-Friendly Chord
- Prozac May Lessen Autism Symptom in Adults
- Body Language Reveals 'Empathy Gene'
- Autism Linked to Unusual Shapes in Lungs
- Survey: Younger Doctors More Skeptical of Vaccines
- Unvaccinated Kids Behind Largest U.S. Measles Outbreak in Years: Study
- Boys With Autism May Grow Faster as Babies
- Diet for Autism: What Works?
- Report: Vaccines Generally Safe, Cause Few Health Problems
- Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy: Autism Risk?
- Environment Plays Bigger Role in Autism Than Thought
- New Clues on Genetic Causes of Autism
- Prenatal Vitamins May Lower Autism Risk
- Autism Brains Alike; Very Different from Normal Brains
- Most Parents Confident About Vaccine Safety
- ADHD: Genetic Mutation May Be Key
- Best and Worst Cities for Autism Care
- MMR Doctor 'Planned to Make Millions,' Journal Claims
- Investigative Reporter: MMR-Autism Study Was Faked
- Fast Lane to Autism: Living Near Freeways
- Early Intervention Improves Autism Symptoms
- Oxytocin More Than Mere 'Love Hormone'
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Children's Health & Parenting Newsletter