Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in teens is a disruption of neurocognitive functioning. Genetics contribute to ADHD. Symptoms of ADHD in teens include inattention, hyperactivity/impulsivity, or a combination of these. Treatment may include cognitive behavioral therapy, behavior therapy, medication, or alternative therapies. Read more: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in Teens Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Childhood ADHD Quiz: Test, Symptoms & Medication
Find out causes, symptoms, and treatments for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, a widespread behavioral condition...
ADHD Symptoms in Children
What is ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)? Learn to recognize ADHD symptoms in children....
ADHD/ADD in Adults: Symptoms & Treatments in Pictures
Most people don't associate adults with the term ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) but it is a common disorder in...
ADHD in Children: Better Parenting
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a common disorder seen in children. Parents can learn tips and techniques to...
Adult ADHD: Organization and Time-Management Tips in Pictures
Learn daily living tips for adult ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). If you have ADHD or you just need to get...
The 18 Most Expensive U.S. Medical Conditions
What are the most expensive medical conditions? Learn about heart conditions, brain disorders, back pain and many more expensive...
Drug Interactions: Foods, Drugs, Herbs Affecting Medications
What foods, drugs, and herbal supplements interact with your pharmaceuticals? Learn about grapefruit and other common drug...
Related Disease Conditions
Childhood ADD or ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Children)
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) causes the following symptoms in children: excessive activity, problems...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Drug addiction is a chronic disease that causes drug-seeking behavior and drug use despite negative consequences to the user and...
Get the latest marijuana statistics and information. Learn its effects and how this drug, also known as pot, affects the brain....
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
Adult ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
About 2%-6% of adults have ADHD, a common behavioral problem. Symptoms include impulsivity, hyperactivity, and inattention....
Depression in Children
Childhood depression can interfere with social activities, interests, schoolwork and family life. Symptoms and signs include...
Depression in teenagers may be caused by many factors. Symptoms of teen depression include apathy, irresponsible behavior,...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Alcohol and Teens
Alcohol is the most frequently used drug by American teenagers. Teens that drink are more likely to drive under the influence,...
Teen Drug Abuse
Drugs commonly abused by teens include tobacco products, marijuana, cold medications, inhalants, depressants, stimulants,...
Parenting a Child With ADHD
ADHD is a behavioral condition with characteristics that include hyperactivity, inattention, and impulsivity. Parenting a child...
Sleep and Sleep Disorders in Children and Teenagers
Sleep needs in children and teenagers depend on the age of the child. Sleep disorders in children such as: sleep apnea,...
13 Tips for Parenting a Teen With ADHD
Parenting a teenager who has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) can be challenging. Parents can use specific...
Bullying is repeated physical or verbal aggression that involves an imbalance of power. Types of bullying include physical,...
PANDAS (Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated With Streptococcal Infections)
PANDAS is in part caused by an autoimmune response to a strep infection. Symptoms mimic those of OCD, ADHD, and include motor and...
Misophonia is defined as the hatred of sound. Symptoms of this condition include a negative emotional response to certain trigger...
Duck syndrome is a situation initially coined at Stanford University whereby a college student may seem to be calm on the surface...
Medical Marijuana (Medical Cannabis)
Medical marijuana (medical cannabis) is a medicine that is plant based. There are two species of medical marijuana; 1) Cannabis...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Difficulty Concentrating
- Inability to Regulate Emotions
- Mood Swings
- ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
Medications & Supplements
- bupropion (Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban, Aplenzin, Fortivo XL, Zyban)
- amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep)
- methylphenidate (Ritalin, Ritalin SR, Ritalin LA, Concerta, Methylin, Methylin ER, Daytrana)
- nortriptyline, Pamelor, Aventyl - has been discontinued in the U.S.
- clonidine (Catapres, Catapres-TTS)
- desipramine, Norpramin
- amphetamine and dextroamphetamine, Adderall, Adderall XR
- Strattera (atomoxetine)
- ADD or ADHD Medications
- blue-green algae (Cyanobacteria, Spirulina)
- dexmethylphenidate (Focalin, Focalin XR)
- guanfacine (Intuniv, Tenex)
- dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine, Dextrostat, ProCentra, Zenzedi)
- Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine)
- Antidepressants (Depression Medications)
- methylphenidate patch (Daytrana)
- methylphenidate hydrochloride (Quillivant XR)
- Kapvay (clonidine extended-release)
- Vayarin (phosphatidylserine-omega-3 Liprinen)
- Vyvanse vs. Adderall
- Stimulants (ADHD)
- Adderall vs. Concerta
- Adderall vs. Dexedrine
- Atomoxetine vs. Adderall
- Vyvanse vs. Strattera
- Adderall vs. Ritalin (Differences and Similarities)
- Lexapro vs. Wellbutrin: Differences between Side Effects and Uses
- Cymbalta vs. Wellbutrin Comparison
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Coping With ADHD
- ADHD Tied to Raised Risk of Early Parkinson's
- Which Drugs Work Best for ADHD? Large Study Zeroes in on Two
- Can Smartphones Trigger ADHD Symptoms in Teens?
- Are Concussions Tougher on Athletes With ADHD?
- Massive Study Finds Same Genes Drive Many Psychiatric Conditions
- Kids With Severe Brain Injuries May Develop ADHD: Study
- Calm Parents Help Calm Kids With ADHD
- Nearly a Third of College Kids Think ADHD Meds Boost Grades
- Treating ADHD May Help Curb Later Drinking, Drug Problems
- When is Tourette Syndrome Actually Autism?
- Teens With ADHD Face a Higher Crash Risk
- Are All Those 'Fidget Spinners' Really Helping Kids?
- Are Smartphones Helping or Harming Kids' Mental Health?
- Imaging Study Confirms Brain Differences in People With ADHD
- Tiny Babies May Face Mental Health Problems Later
- Could the 'Mediterranean' Diet Help Prevent ADHD?
- Kids With ADHD Make 6.1 Million Doctor Visits a Year in U.S.: CDC
- Exercise: An Antidote for Behavioral Issues in Students?
- Health Care Spending for U.S. Kids Jumped 56 Percent in Less Than 20 Years
- Troubled Preschoolers Not Getting Effective Treatment: Report
- Prenatal Factors May Raise Child's Risk for OCD
- Acetaminophen and Pregnancy: Bad Mix?
- Do ADHD Medicines Boost Substance Abuse Risk?
- Epilepsy May Triple ADHD Risk, Danish Study Finds
- 3 Treatments Seem to Help Combat Binge-Eating Disorder
- Are 'Workaholics' Prone to OCD, Anxiety?
- For ADHD, Start With Behavior Therapy, Not Drugs: CDC
- More U.S. Kids Have Chronic Health Problems: Study
- Most Teens Who Abuse ADHD Meds Get Them From Others
- ADHD Meds Tied to Lower Bone Density in Kids
- Fidgeting May Help Students With ADHD Learn
- ADHD Patients Show Weaker Connections in Brain Networks Tied to Focus: Study
- CDC: Child Autism Rate Now 1 in 45 After Survey Method Changes
- One-Third of U.S. Kids With ADHD Diagnosed Before Age 6: Report
- ADHD Risk Rises for Each Week a Preemie Is Born Early
- Severe 'Picky Eating' May Point to Mental Health Issues in Kids
- Head Injury Tied to Long-Term Attention Issues in Kids
- Poor Health as Teen, Poor Job Prospects Later, Study Suggests
- Could ADHD Drug Find New Role in Menopause?
- Fidgeting May Help Children With ADHD to Focus
- Misuse of ADHD-Type Drugs Starts Long Before College: Study
- Pesticides Linked to ADHD, Study Says
- More U.S. Kids Getting Mental Health Treatment
- CDC: 1 in 10 Children Diagnosed With ADHD
- ADHD Tied to Higher Risk of Eating Disorder in Kids and Teens
- ADHD Children May Gain More From Family-Centered Care
- Can Fish Oil Help Boys With ADHD Pay Attention?
- About 7 Percent of Kids Worldwide Have ADHD: Study
- ADHD Linked to Earlier Use of Illicit Drugs in Teens: Study
- ADHD May Raise Teens' Odds for Smoking, Drinking
- ADHD Stimulant Drug Abuse Common Among Young Adults: Survey
- Is Violent Crime in Some People's Genes?
- U.S. Kids Use ADHD Meds More During School Year
- Study Sees Differences in Brain Connections of Kids With ADHD
- Drug Therapy May Lower Odds That Kids With ADHD Will Smoke
- Too Many Foster Kids With ADHD Treated With Antipsychotic Drugs: Study
- Kids With ADHD May Face Higher Obesity Risk as Teens
- Many ADHD Drugs Linked to Painful Erections: FDA
- Low Iron in Brain a Sign of ADHD?
- ADHD + Texting = Double Trouble for Teen Drivers, Study Finds
- Many Parents Unaware of Teens' Abuse of ADHD Drugs
- One in 10 U.S. Kids Diagnosed With ADHD: Report
- Teen ADHD May Increase Risk for Adult Problems
- Teens With ADHD May Need Help Making Transition to College
- Teen Impulsiveness Has Different Sources in ADHD, Substance Use
- Teens With ADHD Often Have Trouble Completing High School