Atrial fibrillation (also called Afib or Afib) is heart rhythm disorder that causes irregular, and often, a rapid heartbeat. The drugs of choice used to treat atrial fibrillation are heart rate medications, heart rhythm medications, and blood thinners.
Atrial fibrillation drugs can cause serious side effects like seizures, vision changes, shortness of breath, fainting, other abnormal heart rhythms, excessive bleeding while coughing or vomiting, blood in the stool, and bleeding into the brain. Read more: Atrial Fibrillation (AFib) Treatment Drugs Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Atrial Fibrillation (A-Fib) Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Learn the causes, symptoms, and treatments of the common heart abnormality known as atrial fibrillation (A-fib)....
Heart Disease Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take our Heart Disease Quiz to get answers and facts about high cholesterol, atherosclerosis prevention, and the causes,...
Picture of Heart Detail
The heart is composed of specialized cardiac muscle, and it is four-chambered, with a right atrium and ventricle, and an...
Picture of Blood Clot
Blood that has been converted from a liquid to a solid state. See a picture of Blood Clot and learn more about the health topic....
Picture of Heart
The muscle that pumps blood received from veins into arteries throughout the body. See a picture of the Heart and learn more...
Heart Disease: Symptoms, Signs, and Causes
What is heart disease (coronary artery disease)? Learn about the causes of heart disease. Symptoms of heart disease include chest...
Heart-Healthy Diet: 25 Foods to Protect Your Cardiovascular System
See 25 foods loaded with heart-healthy nutrients that help protect your cardiovascular system. Plus, find easy meal/recipes and...
The Benefits of Omega 3 Foods on Heart Health
What are the benefits of omega 3 fatty acids? Learn how Omega 3 rich foods like fish oil, salmon, walnuts, & more can boost brain...
Atrial Fibrillation: Heart Symptoms, Diagnosis, & Afib Treatment
Atrial fibrillation is the most common type of abnormal heart rhythm. Atrial fibrillation or AF can lead to serious heart...
Food Swaps for Meals and Snacks for Heart Health in Pictures
Explore 10 food swaps for heart-wise dining. Learn what food to buy and how to cook in order to make a big difference for your...
Atrial Fibrillation (AFib): Tips for Living with Atrial Fibrillation
What is atrial fibrillation? Learn how to making living with atrial fibrillation (AFib) easier. Explore tips that can help you...
Heart Health: What Causes Heart Palpitations?
Why does your heart race or skip a beat? Learn what causes heart palpitations and when to see your doctor....
Related Disease Conditions
Blood in Urine
Blood in the urine is termed hematuria. Hematuria, whether it be gross or microscopic, is abnormal and should be further...
Palpitations (Causes and Symptoms)
Palpitations are uncomfortable sensations of the heart beating hard, rapidly, or irregularly. Some types of palpitations are...
Blood in the Stool (Rectal Bleeding)
Blood in the stool or rectal bleeding (hematochezia) refers to the passage of bright red blood from the anus. Common causes...
Fainting, also referred to as blacking out, syncope, or temporary loss of consciousness has many causes. Often a person will have...
Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension) Causes, Symptoms, Signs, Readings, and Treatments
Low blood pressure, also referred to as hypotension, is blood pressure that is so low that it causes symptoms or signs due to the...
An arrhythmia is an abnormal heart rhythm. With an arrhythmia, the heartbeats may be irregular or too slow (bradycardia), to...
How the Heart Works
The heart is a very important organ in the body. It is responsible for continuously pumping oxygen and nutrient-rich blood...
Fitness: Exercise for a Healthy Heart
Regular exercise can help reduce the risk of heart disease. To achieve maximum benefits, do a mix of stretching exercise, aerobic...
Abnormal Heart Rhythms (Heart Rhythm Disorders)
Heart rhythm disorders vary from minor palpitations, premature atrial contractions (PACs), premature ventricular contractions...
Chest pain is a common complaint by a patient in the ER. Causes of chest pain include broken or bruised ribs, pleurisy,...
Stool Color, Changes in Color, Texture, and Form
Stool color changes can very from green, red, maroon, yellow, white, or black. Causes of changes of stool color can range from...
Heart disease (coronary artery disease) occurs when plaque builds up in the coronary arteries, the vessels that supply blood to...
Blood clots can occur in the venous and arterial vascular system. Blood clots can form in the heart, legs, arteries, veins,...
Heart Disease in Women
Heart disease in women has somewhat different symptoms, risk factors, and treatment compared to heart disease in men. Many women...
Causes of Chest Pain: Signs and Symptoms
Chest pain may be caused by many conditions. Learn when chest discomfort, pressure, and tightness is a medical emergency. Find...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- amiodarone, Cordarone, Nextrone, Pacerone
- aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid, Bayer, Ecotrin, and others)
- timolol (Blocadren and Timolide 10-25 have been discontinued)
- diltiazem (Cardizem, Cardizem CD, Cardizem LA, Tiazac, Cartia XT, Diltzac, Dilt-CD, and several oth)
- nadolol (Corgard)
- warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven)
- propranolol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Innopran XL
- metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol XL)
- procainamide, Pronestyl; Procan-SR; Procanbid (These brands no longer are available in the U.S.)
- quinidine (Discontinued Brands: Cardioquine, Cin-Quin, Duraquin, Quinidex, Quinora, Quinact)
- propafenone (Rythmol, Rythmol SR)
- Sectral (acebutolol)
- atenolol, Tenormin
- bisoprolol, Zebeta
- Beta Blockers (Drug Class, List of Brand and Generic Names)
- clopidogrel (Plavix)
- carvedilol (Coreg, Coreg CR)
- labetalol, Normodyne, Trandate
- Calcium Channel Blockers (CCBs)
- Lovenox (enoxaparin)
- Aspirin Therapy (Guidelines for Heart Attack and Stroke Prevention)
- dipyridamole - oral, Persantine
- disopyramide - oral, Norpace
- mexiletine - oral, Mexitil
- dalteparin (Injection; Fragmin)
- dalteparin vial - injection, Fragmin
- dipyridamole - injection, Persantine IV
- sotalol, Betapace, Betapace AF, Sorine, Sotylize
- tirofiban - injection, Aggrastat
- dofetilide - oral, Tikosyn
- flecainide - oral, Tambocor
- anagrelide - oral, Agrylin
- apixaban (Eliquis)
- rivaroxaban (Xarelto)
- Beta Blocker Side Effects (Adverse Effects)
- Coumadin vs. Plavix (Differences and Similarities)
- Aspirin vs. Plavix (clopidogrel)
- Beta Blockers vs. Calcium Channel Blockers