Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
In some cases, chest pain can be an associated symptom, particularly if there is also cardiovascular disease present. (Chest pain or pressure warrants urgent medical evaluation.) Other symptoms of atrial fibrillation are
Causes of atrial fibrillation (AFib)
The cause of atrial fibrillation is an abnormal heart rhythm, in which electrical signals come from the wrong location within the heart. These abnormal signals are rapid and irregular and cause atrial fibrillation. The reasons for the abnormalities in signaling are unknown.
American Heart Association. "Atrial Fibrillation Medications." July 2016. <http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Arrhythmia/AboutArrhythmia/Atrial-Fibrillation-Medications_UCM_423781_Article.jsp>.
Kasper, D.L., et al., eds. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 19th Ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Education, 2015.
Main Article on Atrial fibrillation (AFib) Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Atrial Fibrillation (A-Fib) Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Learn the causes, symptoms, and treatments of the common heart abnormality known as atrial fibrillation (A-fib)....
Atrial Fibrillation (AFib): Tips for Living with Atrial Fibrillation
What is atrial fibrillation? Learn how to making living with atrial fibrillation (AFib) easier. Explore tips that can help you...
Atrial Fibrillation: Heart Symptoms, Diagnosis, & Afib Treatment
Atrial fibrillation is the most common type of abnormal heart rhythm. Atrial fibrillation or AF can lead to serious heart...
Atrial Fibrillation (AFib) Symptoms and Signs
Examples of Medications for Atrial fibrillation (AFib) Symptoms and Signs
- amiodarone, Cordarone, Nextrone, Pacerone
- apixaban (Eliquis)
- atenolol, Tenormin
- bisoprolol, Zebeta
- bortezomib - injection, Velcade
- carvedilol (Coreg, Coreg CR)
- cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan)
- digoxin (Lanoxin, Lanoxin Pediatric)
- diltiazem (Cardizem, Cardizem CD, Cardizem LA, Tiazac, Cartia XT, Diltzac, Dilt-CD, and several oth)
- dofetilide - oral, Tikosyn
- flecainide - oral, Tambocor
- lenalidomide (Revlimid)
- melphalan - oral, Alkeran
- metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol XL)
- nadolol (Corgard)
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- propafenone (Rythmol, Rythmol SR)
- propranolol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Innopran XL
- rivaroxaban (Xarelto)
- sotalol, Betapace, Betapace AF, Sorine, Sotylize
- thalidomide - oral, Thalomid
- timolol (Blocadren and Timolide 10-25 have been discontinued)
- verapamil (Calan, Verelan, Verelan PM [Discontinued: Isoptin, Isoptin SR, Covera-HS])
- warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven)
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter