Patient Comments: Atopic Dermatitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with atopic dermatitis. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Christian, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

What I discovered myself that no doctor ever mentioned to me is that my irritation and dry, itchy skin was because my body was way too acidic (its pH level was below the neutral 7 and probably a lot lower). So I had to raise it with an alkaline diet meaning I ate only natural fruits, vegetables and seeds and also drank specific water with a pH 9 plus, tried to stay away from sweets, alcohol and wheat products (also pasta and rice). That helped with my atopic dermatitis.

Comment from: Itchy Rich, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 03

I have used about four or five different topical treatments for atopic dermatitis, nothing seems to work. Yesterday my Veterans Affairs doctor prescribed prednisone, which seems to be doing some good, although too soon to tell. Topical treatments seemed to make things worse, as far as redness and itching are concerned. While using topical treatments only my arms and legs turned a bright red and sores seemed to open up.

Comment from: asdasdd, Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I live in the Philippines where the warm and humid weather is just terrible for someone with atopic dermatitis. I've had it since I was a child and remember having these terrible urges to scratch places like the creases in my arms, legs, neck, and hands. If I walked through highly polluted areas, my whole face would get covered with rashes. Vaseline lotion and mineral oil were staples in our house. If a rash got pretty bad, my mom would put ointment on it and cover the whole area and leave it on overnight. Growing up, my allergies made me self-conscious when I had to wear shorts in gym class or when my classmates would ask about it, but thankfully, the itchiness and rashes became somewhat more controllable as I grew older. I'm in my 30s now, but I still do have some of those battle scars left – dry hands of a 50 year old and a chicken-skin neck. My two daughters have got it from me as well, unfortunately. When you have it, you just have to accept that you'll forever be buying hypoallergenic soaps, lotions, petroleum jelly, corticosteroid cream, etc. I guess it's just all about learning to identify the triggering factors for itching (hot weather, eating certain foods) and being religious with moisturizing.

Comment from: maria, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 19

I am a physician and my cousin experienced what was diagnosed as atopic dermatitis. He sought consultations and treatments from many western medicine doctors. He finally got results with an acupuncturist who prescribed a different diet and herbs and acupuncture of course. He has turned around and almost looks normal again. He lost so much weight and had what appeared to be a severe form of the disease. He continues with acupuncture treatments and has continued to improve. Hope this helps anyone that has the problem.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I live in the Philippines where the warm and humid weather is just terrible for someone with atopic dermatitis. I've had it since I was a child and remember having these terrible urges to scratch places like the creases in my arms, legs, neck, and hands. If I walked through highly polluted areas, my whole face would get covered with rashes. Vaseline lotion and mineral oil were staples in our house. If a rash got pretty bad, my mom would put ointment on it and cover the whole area and leave it on overnight. Growing up, my allergies made me self-conscious when I had to wear shorts in gym class or when my classmates would ask about it, but thankfully, the itchiness and rashes became somewhat more controllable as I grew older. I'm in my 30s now, but I still do have some of those “battle scars” left -- dry hands of a 50-year old and a “chicken-skin” neck. My two daughters have got it from me as well, unfortunately. When you have it, you just have to accept that you'll forever be buying hypoallergenic soaps, lotions, petroleum jelly, corticosteroid cream, etc. I guess it's just all about learning to identify the triggering factors for itching (hot weather, eating certain foods) and being religious with moisturizing and medicating the skin.

Comment from: Steff, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I have been experiencing intense itching behind my left ear with constant oozing and crusting over that will not heal. I have had this condition for a year now. I think it may be atopic dermatitis.

Comment from: K. Lun, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 29

I am one of those who suffer from atopic dermatitis. I feel it is better and better day by day as I am growing up. I still remember last time, when my 1st attack of atopic dermatitis was triggered. It was so terrible, my whole body was feel like burning and itching. I apply lotion after bath, and topical steroid on my skin when it is triggered. For those other who also suffer with atopic dermatitis, don't worry too much about it, it will get better as we grow older.

Comment from: Lola, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I suffered from atopic dermatitis since infancy, over much of my body. The creases in my arms, legs, and neck were the worst. The only thing that would control it was prednisone. I'm now 64 and thought I would never be free of oral steroids. I'm happy to report that I went on a prednisone reduction plan (slow, over a year) and now am steroid and symptom free. I truly did not think this was possible but my dermatologist says that my skin is "normal," for the first time in my life.

Comment from: Jimmy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

I am 33 years old and am experiencing my first atopic dermatitis flare-up. I work in a steel factory, which is an extremely dirty environment. Each night, at the end of my shift, I would enjoy a long, hot shower with a liquid soap that the company supplies. Generally, I apply skin moisturizer after the shower, but I ran out and did not bother buying more. I could feel my body progressively getting drier each night but ignored it. Finally, I broke out in an agonizing rash. It was so horrible. I had thoughts of cutting my skin off! I would run a scalding hot bath and slowly ease my way into it and tolerate it as long as I could and then dry off and apply excessively generous amounts of medicated Gold Bond afterward. This seemed to temporarily relieve the agony. Finally, I went to the doctor, and he put me on prednisone. I had to miss two days of work and will take much better care of my skin to try and avoid the excruciating agony that I experienced!

Comment from: leo1983, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I'm 25 years old and was just diagnosed with atopic dermatitis. The condition started when I was 21. It started out with itching, and when I would scratch, the skin cracked. Then some of my shoes didn't help. I would where knee-high boots and the heat and moisture would make the itching even worse. After that, I started developing really dry, rough, scaly skin patches, and sometime little bumps with clear fluid in them that would itch even more. My skin would clear up when the weather would get warmer, but once fall and winter temperatures were changing, the condition would start up again. Since I saw a doctor, I was given a steroid ointment to apply on the area. I use that along with little pedicures I give my self when I see a lot of dry, scaly skin building up. I stopped using the steroid ointment. So now I use Vaseline to moisturize my foot. I also try to keep my foot dry with breathable shoes, and I change my socks at least twice a day. That's helped a lot, and I don't scratch as much as I used to.

Comment from: Queen Bee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I have lived with atopic dermatitis (eczema) for as long as I can remember. My mother told me it started when I was around 1 year old. One of my sisters suffers from it as well as my grandmother. It seems to run in the family. I have a twin sister that does not suffer from it at all. My children do not have any signs of it either. Growing up, it was over my entire body (head, mouth, hands, legs, feet) and now it seems to be more localized on my hands. My hands become so bad that I cannot bend or wet them. I go without doing my housecleaning sometimes because there is pain involved. I wear gloves to bed every night to try and stop the ripping of my skin when I'm scratching. Sometimes the flare-ups last six months. I have even had blood poising because the infections became so severe. I tried everything my doctor prescribed as well as over-the-counter medications. I have learned to live with it because I have no choice. I did hear that ultraviolet lights can help. I am thinking about going to a nail salon where they use ultraviolet nail driers to test it out.

Comment from: Apples, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 19

Hello I'm a parent of a five and a half year old daughter who started kinder this year. My daughter has had Atopic Dermatitis since she was 8months old. This has been a long battle and a frustrating one. I say this only because adults and children who have not experienced this have no idea the struggle we go through. I have adults flat out ask my daughter what's wrong with your skin. Children do the same thing to her. The hardest part is the itching for her I use little hand towels and run them through cold water and set it on her flare-ups. My daughter has learned to cope with the dermatitis. It's hard as a mother watching your child suffer. I just do a lot of researching and try to stay up to date on new products and things. For children and adults who have this just be you and people will see through your skin condition. My daughter is very social and has many friends. I teach her that not every one is understanding and if they don't want to be your friend some one else will.

Comment from: itchy grandma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have had an itch for about 3 months starting on my inner thighs, buttocks, breasts and now all over my body. I am 69 years old. My doctor referred me to a dermatologist who diagnosed a drug reaction to Altace. I was then put on prednisone for a week and my blood pressure medication was changed to Norvasc. She said it would take a month before I would have relief. In the meantime my husband has also developed an itch so now I have been trying different laundry detergents, creams etc. to find the cause of this overall itch.

Comment from: hhaiss, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I am a 36 year old female who has suffered with Atopic Dermatitis for over 18 years. When my skin is bad, my life changes drastically. I stop going out because I'm afraid of strangers staring at my red irritated skin. Then come the steroids. The skin clears and I balloon 20-30 lbs. This is a tough disease to treat and keep under control. Just know you are not alone in suffering and hopefully someday we will have a cure.

Comment from: LilWoman22, 35-44 Female Published: October 27

I was diagnosed with atopic dermatitis about 10 years ago. I've noticed that it flares up sometimes right before I come on my period. I am 44 years old, and the itching is on the sides of my breast, under the breast, and it actually has left scars. I also get really bad itching on my sides and my inner thighs and neck. I use the Cortisone cream, and it worked really well in the beginning, but I've noticed that it's not as good as it was before. It seems to take more of it to get the itching under control and it may go away for a few weeks or months and then it flares up again, especially in the winter months. I've also noticed that I cannot use any type of perfume soaps or detergents. I can't even wear cheap jewelry.

Comment from: Jimmie, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 18

The patient is 103 year old female and otherwise very healthy except for the aggressive outbreak of dermatitis which has consistently reoccurred over a period of five months. She has seen a dermatologist regularly during this period and has been prescribed topical medications that have been used without success.

Comment from: Magda F, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 15

I have atopic dermatitis for 20 years. It appears on my hands. Last week I went to swim and after that I went to sauna for 20 mins. Next day I suffer because my hands were covered with blisters and they were itching that it made me irritated. Now I understand that my skin condition was caused by sudden temperature change and being overheated

Comment from: cheetah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

My lesions are flaking, crusting, seeping, oozing, burning, and bleeding. It is on my entire body! Often the topic of conversation is, “My daughter experiences that,” or “Did you get burned?” The No. 1 question I get is, “What is that? Is it contagious?”

Comment from: melissa6272000, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 05

My daughter is 8 years old and has had atopic dermatitis for three or more years. For the past three years, we were told it was eczema. Today I was just told it was atopic dermatitis. It takes up her whole body. It's so painful and itchy for my daughter, and when she bathes, it's 10 times worse.

Comment from: sacarns, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I am 36 years old and have had atopic dermitis since I was 6 months old. None of my siblings, parents or children have this condition. The ultraviolet rays do help. My doctor has told me to try the tanning beds, as much as he tells others not to just because it does help the skin. My arms get the worst of it, and I work in a county office where I deal with the public a lot. Creams don't help, and I will not take steriods because they make you gain weight. I had to quit my other professional job as a hairdresser. Times do get tough, but hang in there. Try to just get a cotton wrap to cool your skin. I try to exercise to lose weight, but the sweat makes me itch more.

Comment from: Cele2001, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

My atopic dermatisis affects the back of my hands, my forearms, and the tops of my feet. I get an incredible itch that I cannot resist even knowing what it will lead to. The skin that I scratch becomes red and blistery and oozes. Then for a few days, the site is raw and “on fire” with burning. I can't touch it or cover it because it burns so badly. It eventually heals on its own. I have no allergies that I know of, but I have always had “sensitive” skin.

Comment from: fallen_raindrop, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

Hi. I believe I suffer from atopic dermatitis. I have been seen by a physician and am infected in the vagina. Herpes has been ruled out. I had an ultra sound and prescribed a corticosteroid cream. I am also a survivor of cervical cancer for 7 years. The cream works but returns a burning itch. I have been infected for about 2 months.

Comment from: pattiyan, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I have atopic dermatitis (APs). Once, an outburst lasted for four years and was excruciating. My face was swollen, red, sore, and peeling, more so my eyelids, My brows always itch; they were almost shut. The soles of my feet peeled off, and my toes were very itchy, red, shiny, and peeling. I have just suffered more than three months of very red, very hot, very itchy, and very sore hands with peeling. I couldn't sleep with it, and it was most depressing. It was like being burnt with red, hot pokers. I was told I am a borderline lupus case. The hydrocortisone makes my skin peel off more, and anti-histamines doesn't stop the itching.

Comment from: John T, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I am sixty-eight years old and every winter, it seems, I have a flare up of dermatitis and jock itch. I live in the north east and while we use a humidifier the air is too dry and the skin rashes return. I know my Dad had a similar condition, and I have heard that certain medications such as beta blockers may contribute to this ailment. After some research, I have changed to a milder soap, lowered the temperature of my shower water, and I am using more lubricants. Hopefully, with the return of warmer weather, I can get some sun and reduce this ailment.

Comment from: tourettes girl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have been diagnosed with dermatitis in the ear. It is so annoying! Right now I am using Dermotic Oil but it is still itchy.

Comment from: Xiomara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

My atopic Dermatitis started when I was pregnant. I have never had a skin condition. The doctors that I saw has Dermatitis Nummular. I had it in my legs, elbow and breast, right now I just have the spots since I came to the United States. I really don't know if it was the weather in Puerto Rico or what exactly. I just want to know how or what can I use to remove the spot especially on my legs.

Comment from: lilha80, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I had a hip replacement on May 7 th. Now, after almost 3 months the incision is reddened and intensely itching. The doctor gave me a prescription for mupirocin, but even though it seemed to help for the first 2 applications the itching was now widespread around the incision and a rash began, so I had to discontinue it.

Published: July 28

I am in my early sixties and have been having problems with skin irritations. I went to the emergency room at one time with contact dermatitis, which cleared up. Then I began to have fever blisters or cold sores on different areas of my face; top lip, bottom lip, nose and now my eye. I do have dry skin during the summer months and I also have hypothyroidism.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter