Eczema is a general term for many types dermatitis (skin inflammation). Atopic dermatitis is the most common of the many types of eczema. Other types of eczema include: contact eczema, allergic contact eczema, seborrheic eczema, nummular eczema, stasis dermatitis, and. dyshidrotic eczema. Read more: Atopic Dermatitis Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Atopic Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis) Quiz: Test Your Skin Disorders IQ
Does dry, itchy, flaky, scaly, red, inflamed skin sound familiar to you? Take the Atopic Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis) Quiz to learn...
Skin Quiz: Acne, Dry Skin, Dandruff & More
What's that all over you? Skin, of course! Test your knowledge of your most amazing organ with the Skin Quiz!...
Picture of Eczema
A particular type of inflammatory reaction of the skin in which there are typically vesicles (tiny blister-like raised areas) in...
Picture of Dermatitis From Common Carpet Beetle
The common carpet beetle is not common in modern well-sanitized homes, and even where it is abundant, effects from it are not...
Picture of Atopic Dermatitis
This condition is the most common of all pediatric dermatoses. See a picture of Atopic Dermatitis and learn more about the...
Picture of Juvenile Plantar Dermatitis
This figure shows erythema and fissuring on the weight-bearing surface of the foot. See a picture of Juvenile Plantar Dermatitis...
Picture of Skin
The skin is the largest organ of the body, with a total area of about 20 square feet. See a picture of the Skin and learn more...
Picture of X-Linked Ichthyosis
More pronounced fish-scale pattern on the legs of a child with X-linked ichthyosis. See a picture of X-Linked Ichthyosis and...
Picture of Lichen Simplex Chronicus
Hyperpigmented, lichenified plaque with accentuated skin lined caused by repeated rubbing of the area. See a picture of Lichen...
Picture of Dermatitis Medicamentosa
Diagnosing drug eruptions has become a common experience to practitioners in all branches of modern medicine. See a picture of...
Picture of Dermatitis Medicamentosa (Back)
Drug eruptions may mimic nearly the entire range of dermatoses of other causes. See a picture of Dermatitis Medicamentosa (Back)...
Picture of Eczema Herpeticum
Eczema herpeticum. See a picture of Eczema Herpeticum and learn more about the health topic....
Picture of Urticaria
This is a close-up view of wheals with white-to-light-pink color centrally and peripheral erythema. See a picture of Urticaria...
Picture of Atopic Dermatitis or Eczema
Eczema is a skin condition caused by inflammation. See a picture of Atopic Dermatitis or Eczema and learn more about the health...
Picture of Cradle Cap
Cradle cap (also called seborrheic dermatitis) is a rash that begins as scaling and redness on a baby's scalp. See a picture of...
Picture of Yellow Dandruff
If dandruff flakes are greasy and yellow, the probable cause is the skin condition known as seborrheic dermatitis; seborrhea is...
Common Childhood Skin Disorders
What are the most common skin rashes in children? Learn about childhood eczema, ring worm, chicken pox and more. Get the facts on...
Baby Skin Care: Tips to Keep Newborn's Skin Healthy
Caring for your newborn baby's skin may seem complex, but it doesn't have to be. There are many skin conditions such as peeling,...
Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis) is a common allergic skin condition. Get the latest information on causes of eczema and skin rash...
Related Disease Conditions
Asthma is a condition in which hyperreactive airways constrict and result in symptoms like wheezing, coughing, and shortness of...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Hives (Urticaria & Angioedema)
Hives, also called urticaria, is a raised, itchy area of skin that is usually a sign of an allergic reaction. The allergy may be...
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
Swimmer's Ear (Symptoms, Pain Remedies, Treatment, Prevention)
Swimmer's ear (external otitis) is an infection of the skin that covers the outer ear canal. Causes of swimmer's ear include...
An allergy refers to a misguided reaction by our immune system in response to bodily contact with certain foreign substances. ...
Eye Care and Eye Disorder
Many common eye disorders resolve without treatment and some may be managed with over-the-counter (OTC) products. It's important...
Dandruff (seborrhea) is a skin disorder that results from neither too much moisture nor too much oil. Dandruff can be treated...
Itch (Itching or Pruritus)
Itching can be a common problem. Itches can be localized or generalized. There are many causes of itching to include: infection...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Genetic Disease (List, Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, Prognosis)
The definition of a genetic disease is a disorder or condition caused by abnormalities in a person's genome. Some types of...
Eosinophilic esophagitis is an inflammation of the esophagus. Eosinophilic esophagitis has many causes including acid reflux,...
Paget Disease of the Breast (Paget's Disease of the Nipple)
Paget's disease is a rare form of cancer that forms in or around the nipple and frequently coexists with breast cancer. The exact...
Eczema refers to skin inflammation. There are many different types of eczema that produce symptoms and signs that range from...
Keratosis pilaris (KP) is a common skin disorder in which small white or red bumps appear around hair follicles on the upper...
Molluscum contagiosum is a skin disease that causes pink painless bumps on the skin. It typically resolves in six to 12 months....
Dry skin (xeroderma) may be caused by external factors, like cold temperatures, low humidity, harsh soaps, and certain...
Postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) is a painful complication of shingles. Symptoms include severe pain, itchy skin, and possible...
Is Eczema Contagious?
Eczema is a skin condition characterized by inflamed, rough skin patches that occasionally produce fluid-filled bumps that may...
Ichythyosis vulgaris is an uncommon inherited condition marked by xerosis. Symptoms and signs include very dry, scaly skin over...
Graft Versus Host Disease (GVHD)
Graft versus host disease (GVHD) is a condition that happens when immune cells from transplanted donor tissue attack the...
Local ResourcesFind a local Dermatologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Skin FAQs
- Eczema FAQs
- Wedding Ring Rash
- Questions To Ask Your Doctor - General
- Eczema: A Breakthrough Treatment for Eczema
- Rash: Can Soaps & Detergents Cause A Rash
- Eczema: Dry Hands May Be Sign of Eczema
- Rash: How to Avoid Hot Tub Rash
- What Are Strategies to Deal With Mite Allergies ?
- Do Anti-Mite Carpet Cleaners Help Mite Allergies?
Medications & Supplements
- pimecrolimus - topical, Elidel
- tacrolimus - topical, Protopic
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- prednisolone (Flo-Pred, Pediapred, Orapred, Orapred ODT)
- betamethasone dipropionate, Diprolene; Diprolene AF
- mometasone, Elocon
- mupirocin (Bactroban Nasal, Centany - Bactroban is discontinued)
- hydrocortisone valerate
- pramoxine (Itch-X, PrameGel, Orax, Sarna Sensitive, and Others)
- Over-the-Counter Products
- tacrolimus ointment, Protopic
- pimecrolimus, Elidel
- halobetasol - topical, Ultravate
- fusidic acid/hydrocortisone-topical
- Topicort (desoximetasone topical)
- licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra, Alcacuz, Sweet Root, Gan Zao, and many others)
- tea tree oil (Melaleuca Oil)
- cyclosporine microemulsion solution - oral, Gengraf, Neoral
- cyclosporine microemulsion capsule - oral, Gengraf, Neoral
- pramoxine and hydrocortisone (Epifoam, Pramosone, Proctofoam HC, Procort, Analpram HC)
- pramoxine/hydrocortisone - topical, Enzone, Pramosone
- Topical Corticosteroids
- omega-3 fatty acids - oral, Max Epa, Omega-3, Salmon Oil,
- fluocinolone (eczema) oil - topical, Derma-Smoothe/FS
- Predinsone Side Effects (Adverse Effects)
Prevention & Wellness
- Eczema Can Drive People to Thoughts of Suicide: Study
- 1 in 10 Will Develop Eczema in Their Lifetime
- Why Eczema Is Tougher to Treat for Black Patients
- Study Challenges Touted Link Between Eczema and Heart Disease
- Dupixent Approved to Treat Eczema
- New Eczema Drug Promising in Early Trial
- Skin Patch May Help With Peanut Allergy
- Melatonin Might Help Sleepless Kids With Eczema, Study Finds
- Taking a 'Selfie' May Help With Dermatology Care, Study Shows
- Vitamin D Might Help Kids With Eczema
- Use of Low-Dose Steroid Creams During Pregnancy Won't Affect Baby: Study
- Stem Cells Yield Lab-Grown Skin, Researchers Say
- Childhood Eczema Often Persists Into Adulthood, Study Finds
- Staph Bacteria May Play Role in Eczema-Like Rash, Mouse Study Finds
- Use of Low-Dose Steroid Creams During Pregnancy Won't Affect Baby: Study
- Dog DNA May Yield Clues to Human Eczema
- Can Herbs Fight Asthma?
- Is Itching Contagious?