Patient Comments: Athlete's Foot - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your athlete's foot last? Was there anything that helped with symptom relief? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Sasha, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 06

Great advice! I just suffered a particularly severe bout of athlete's foot I could not shift with the usual over the counter sprays, lotions and prescription lotions. I was panicking because I had returned to the gym and was working out with a run at the end, I had not wanted injury interruptions but the itching and burning sensation from my feet was becoming excruciating. I was running out of options and had not wanted to go down the more risky oral medication route. Then I remembered how tea tree worked well in the past on skin problems. I decided to give it a go and added a few drops of lavender too as a more potent mix. Blessed relief soon followed after first application and it's now been three days and the skin between all my toes has dried up and no longer resembles red salami.

Comment from: Hopeful, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I had wet boots in 2011 and got very itchy yeast-like infection on my ankles that kept oozing. I went to a dermatologist after trying for a while on my own, and he was no help, wanting to give steroidal cream and he never took a sample to see what it was. After a year when I had a follow up and asked him for the diagnosis, he said he had no idea. I tried the Vicks VapoRub with horrible results. It burned my ankles so bad I thought I would lose my feet. My skin around my ankles looked like red baggy socks! The athlete's foot took several years to heal with the help of an online wound doctor. I credit him with saving my life. He said no, I would have lived but would have lost my legs. However, now that the burned skin has finally somewhat healed, I still have itchy ankles that are broken out, and now between my toes and on the top and insides of my feet. I really hope those who try the Vicks are careful. It was a disaster for me. I think I am going to try the eucalyptus oil next. I have tried baking soda soaks, and organic apple cider vinegar sprays with water, both recently have made my skin tender and raw and bubbly. I was doing real well a few months ago but decided to scrub the skin down as one place on one ankle was still itchy and broken, and both feet broke out terribly again and I'm back to square zero. So frustrating. I am glad I found this forum. I have gone through thousands of dollars in gauze and ABD pads when my feet and ankles were burned by the Vicks. At least my legs weren't amputated.

Comment from: Dutchess, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I suffered from athlete's foot on my feet and hands and I ran across an article that suggested vinegar was the cure. It did help at first but it took forever before I saw any differences in my condition. So I tweaked it, I added salt, which dries out the fungus while the vinegar does its work. I had foot and hand fungus for almost 10 years and was afraid it was never going to end. But thanks to someone's post and a little intuition I am freed. So please try vinegar with salt and make it into a paste and apply to the infected area. Good luck!

Comment from: Sympathizer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I first contracted athlete's foot (AF) after a two-month hospital stay. One foot became infected from either the hospital room shower, new socks worn without first laundering, or borrowing my husband's sandals because my feet were swollen after the birth of twins. Vinegar soaks in disposable bowls and thorough drying with paper towels followed by Tinactin spray worked over the course of 3 months. I wrapped my foot in paper towels secured by a rubber band to avoid spreading the fungus to carpet/sheets. Don't rub infected areas -- when I ran a cotton ball soaked with vinegar across my foot the fungus spread rapidly from my toes to my entire sole with large blisters. My right hand was also red/itching but cleared up as my foot improved, I used a disposable medical glove when handling my children. Old socks/shoes should be discarded. I still dry all laundered socks inside out and slip paper towels into my shoes if not wearing socks. Glad to learn that Listerine/Vicks VapoRub and ingested garlic/immune system boosters also help!

Comment from: Grace34, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I have suffered from athlete's foot in different parts of the body for a pretty long time. I tried all the OTC antifungal creams, sprays, powders, etc., to no avail, they only provided temporary relief. Luckily for me I stumbled upon eucalyptus oil which I diluted and applied to every single place infected with the fungus and to my surprise, all the infection were cleared within 2 weeks. I continued the treatment for another 3 weeks and I have been cured! Finally! Just thought this information might be useful to someone with a stubborn and recurring strain of the fungus.

Comment from: ginger, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

Try changing the pH of your body. Eating/drinking acidic foods (lemon juice in water or cider vinegar) and cucumber will stop the fungus growing. It works a treat and is a healthy way to treat the athlete's foot infection.

Comment from: My footy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I had athlete's foot from my boyfriend's father's shower, yuck! He also had it before I met him. So I had it for about 10 years. Finally one time when I was on a cruise to Mexico I bought the 'oh-so-dangerous' pill for athlete's foot the doctor would never give me. I took it for about a week. We are all now athlete's foot free and my skin is so soft.

Comment from: olivia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I think I have athlete's foot, but the only symptoms I show are blistering and that is rare for having athlete's foot so I need some more diagnosis for having blisters on both feet in the same area (inside part of the foot).

Comment from: Sobs, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I am 35 years old and have been living with athlete's foot since my early twenties. I believe I got it when I bought a pair of insulated boots and was doing a lot of work inside a hot factory for ten hours a day. My biggest problem is staying on top of my foot care. I did get rid of the problem for almost two years. I used Lotrimin Ultra twice a day for two weeks and put all, or what I thought was all, of my shoes in plastic zip lock bags (separate) and placed them in my freezer for 24 hours. One day without thinking I put on an old pair of golf shoes and played 18 holes on a hot summer day. My athlete's foot came back a few weeks later. Over the years I think the fungus has developed a sort of immunity to the Lotrimin Ultra so now I am searching for alternative methods to clear up my feet.

Comment from: Smokey_Joe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I cured my athlete's foot, which bothered me for decades and finally was causing toenail separation, by using Vicks VapoRub applied over the entire surface of the foot and pushed under the toenail with a plastic iodine applicator. I was told by a podiatrist that the ingredients in Vicks VapoRub penetrate through the skin, and kill the fungus. I am an electrical engineer in the defense industry.

Comment from: Craig, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

White vinegar worked for me. I put my foot in a plastic bag with the vinegar for about an hour and I have seen a great reduction in my athlete's foot and nail bed fungus. I keep baby powder or corn starch in my socks when I put them on in the morning to keep the moisture under control. Good luck!

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 24

I had athlete's foot, and I was unable to get rid of it. I used Vicks Vapo Rub, and I just applied it to my feet every night before bed for about two weeks and it was gone. It was cheap and easy.

Comment from: Andrew, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I have suffered from athlete's foot since age 13. I am not 53 years. Only 2 years back I was able to completely eliminate this problem by taking oral tablet GRISOVIN (griseofulvin 125mg). I used to have watery blisters on the soles of both feet, in between the toes and near the nails and sometimes on my fingers and palms of my hands. I have tried topical creams etc to no avail until a dentist told me about GRISOVIN. I also realized I probably have a contact allergy especially when wearing rubber tongs. All of that is over. What a relief. I only have to take the tablet once a day until all the symptoms have disappeared and continued for 2 weeks before stopping. Hope this info helps. I noticed this particular drug was not listed.

Comment from: Angietigerfan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

My son was in a serious car accident and was in the hospital for 30 days while there I would rub his feet with lotion, he had very mild athletes foot, although I was very careful to wash my hands I got a fungus on the pinkie on my left hand, it then spread to my right hand and now my feet, I have been to several doctors tried all the creams and Lamisil by mouth and antibiotic. I read where tea tree oil was supposed to help, so I went to the healthfood store and they introduced me to "Thursday Plantation anti-fungal treatment for nails." It is a very small bottle, but it does work, I also got tea tree oil and peppermint oil and mixed them together, I use this as lotion for my feet and it is slowly getting better, so only the natural stuff worked for me after many doctors' visits and dollars spent on medication.

Comment from: UK patient, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I have had it three times in six months now. Twice it has become infected, with the infection tracking quickly up my foot and the only thing that sorts it out (apart from antibiotics) is using a footbath of potassium permanganate (called Permitabs) twice a day. It's what they used to use for soldiers who had trench foot! Makes your foot skin a bit brown for a couple of days, but it sucks all the moisture out of the area.

Comment from: sydneymale, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I have fairly severe athletes foot in both feet. I tried all the over the counter medicines without success. I eventually went to the doctor's who prescribed an antifungal tablet, this also failed. I then chose to follow some of the advice I saw on the web. Mainly, daily foot soaks with apple cider vinegar (it relieves the itch wonderfully). Vaseline during the day while wearing work shoes (helps a lot). What has really started to help 7 months down the track is daily washing of the feet with an antifungal soap, drying immediately with a hair dryer and using 20% tea tree oil applied with cotton balls. This has entirely stopped the intense itching I had during the day and at night in bed. My skin is also almost entirely healed of cracks. I hope this is going to be the real solution for me. At least I have stopped the itch which was driving me insane.

Comment from: Motheroftwo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I've had athlete's foot under my breasts, a flap of skin below my tummy area, and also other skin in the groin area on and off for many, many years. It occurs in the underside areas where skin touches skin. (I've never had it on my feet.) The rash, redness, blistering, etc., used to last a couple of weeks. I can't remember the name of the cream/ointment that I last used. Thanks to the advice of a doctor at an emergency clinic, I've cut down on the number of episodes that occur and the duration. He told me to use a hand held (hair) blow dryer on these problem areas after bathing to get the areas completely dry. This is in addition to keeping the area clean.

Comment from: Silvergirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I have suffered with athlete's foot in varying degrees of discomfort for more than a year now. I have tried every form of topical treatment (too worried about side effects of oral meds). I have come across many suggestions that vinegar or Listerine can cure athlete's foot over a long period of time, like six to 12 months when used one to two times daily. After suffering for more than a year and spending hundreds of dollars, I will try it! It's only been a couple of weeks, and I feel as much relief from the $3 Listerine as I get from the $15 Lamisil.

Comment from: itchymom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I have suffered from athlete's foot for years (about 10 years)! My feet were covered with white, dry, scaly skin, and they itched, mostly at night. Sometimes I couldn't even sleep. I even developed white spots in my big toenails. I finally saw a dermatologist who tested my feet for fungus, and it came back negative. He said the meds I had been using over the counter made my feet drier. He said the nail spots would grow out, and they did. He gave me Salex lotion to put on my feet twice daily, and it made my feet look human. It's kind of pricey, but it's very effective! I now pumice my feet daily and use athlete's meds when needed. I keep them dry and wear only leather/canvas shoes with clean, dry socks, etc. I've noticed that when I swim a lot, the chlorine tends to make my feet look and feel better. I hope this helps anyone out there. I don't think it ever goes away. In fact, a few years ago, I made the mistake of touching my feet and then my ear and developed it in one of my ears. It was very gross, itchy, runny, etc. But with some cortisone drops and miscellaneous treatments, my ears are finally better now after about five years. Ugh!

Comment from: Suffer Ring, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

For athlete's foot rub Vicks VapoRub on feet, wrap in plastic wrap and then put socks on and go to bed. The best trick I've done. Also, Drymax socks are great to reduce moisture. Nothing works for too long.

Comment from: worriedglh, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I've had athlete's foot problems for several years now. No matter what treatment I use, it comes back. I've tried all remedies, medications, pills, and treatments to no avail. I am diagnosed with HPV and have had cervical cancer in the past, resulting in the removal of my left ovary and fallopian tube. I also had two LEEP procedures. My big toe on the left foot has fungus as do my pinky toes on both feet. The left foot is the worst, and I noticed that I'm beginning to get the same fungus on my left hand on my middle finger. I had some warts on my fingers that were frozen, burned, and cut out; however, they came back along with several others on other fingers. I think I first got athlete's foot when I was in my 20s living at home and showering in the same shower as my father. At that time, the problem was regular athlete's foot with the itching, smell, and burning. Over the years, it cleared up, but in my mid 40s it came back. I've had the worst time trying to keep it away. I can't wear sandals in the summer because my feet look as if they belong to someone who's 90 years old! I am 54.

Comment from: loan_girlchicago, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have had Athlete's foot on and off over the years. I had great results with using tea tree oil. You can get it at health food stores. Apply it three times a day. Also, oregano oil capsules (use as directed on the bottle) usually help within one or two days. Probiotics can help prevent future outbreaks. Garlic pills three times a day for one to two weeks work too. (You can get them odorless.) Spraying vinegar in a spray bottle on the shower/ tub after bathing helps also.

Comment from: Flutterby, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I have had athlete's foot for many years. I have tried all the over-the-counter medications. Nothing has worked, so far. It is only on one foot. It is very red, irritated, and extremely itchy. (It itches worse at night; I wake up to it itching badly.) I keep it clean, and I have pumiced it. I don't know what else to do.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

I've had numerous bouts with athlete's foot. It's very frustrating. I'm pretty sure I get it from putting on old footwear that I wore during my previous bout. I've taken to either discarding old shoes and boots and insoles, or immersing them with vinegar for a few hours, and then treating my feet (a soak in very warm vinegar gives relief that day). The key for me is to stay on top of it.

Comment from: anniep, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I have had athletes foot for several years, my podiatrist was at a loss after many attempts including, lamisal tablets, steriod creams, antibiotics, etc. The severity of my condition would come and go, but never go away completely. My doctors last advice was to take walks on the beach, hoping that the sand and salt would help. It is a horrible chronic condition that I would not wish on anyone. I seem to be getting some relief right now from the vinegar soaks that I read about in this article, but I have literally tried everything, and nothing really works for very long.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

I have been dealing with athlete's foot for several years with little relief. I've had rough dry cracking skin on soles and heels of feet and a rash on left hand. I have tried oral medicationss and creams with little results. It's very upsetting. I stupidly took shower at a fitness center.

Comment from: 7-12 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

My 8-year-old son is dealing with athlete's foot. Thirty days ago, he was prescribed Lamisil oral as well as Lamisil cream and powder. The condition cleared up for a few days, but then it came back. It has not cleared up since. His mother and I are waiting further instructions from our doctor.

Comment from: Fustrated, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I've had athlete's foot twice in my life. I am currently suffering from it now. My symptoms include tenderness and pitting in my skin, almost as if the fungi is eating away my dead skin in round patterns the size of a matchstick head. Nothing seems to help, and it has even spread to my hands a bit, as it is very obvious once I get out of the bath.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 06

I have been using Lamisil for 30 days for my athlete's foot and the rash is worse! I had a heart attack two years ago, and it seems everything has been going wrong since then. My feet are killing me, and I do everything as instructed with no progress. I wash my feet, dry them carefully, take my Lamisil and apply the cream all to no avail. I find this very odd and frustrating.

Comment from: Jan, 45-54 Female Published: August 12

I have had Tinea on my feet since staying at a Caravan Park 16 years ago. It seems to clear up in winter, but returns with a vengeance when the weather warms up. I now have a fungal nail condition on my hands and toenails which I keep brutally short and also seem to get Tinea on the palms of my hand and sides of my fingers in patches. I live in fear of getting it on my Torso. I can't get rid of it and spend a small fortune every summer on Tinea Creams. Nothing seems to help. It is impossible to get rid of.

Comment from: chas, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

Of all the athletes foot medications I have tried, only Tinactin and ones containing clomethiazole have offered any significant relief. Also, I was out of my Tinactin one evening and out of desperation tried my Germ X hand sanitizer and surprisingly it brought quite a bit of relief. I don't know if it should be used often, but it did work as a temporary alternative.

Comment from: julzz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I have cleared up ring worm and athletes foot with dandruff shampoo. I apply it and let it soak in for 30 minutes. Menthol works best I've found. At one time my kids and I kept passing ring worm around and at one time I put some dandruff shampoo on the ringworm and covered it with a band aid and left it for a day, the ring worm was very sore, but without further treatment it went away in a week.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

Vics Vapor Rub is the best cure I've found. I have had athletes foot for years, I have tried every powder, cream, well everything actually. Soaking in vinegar helps relieve the itching, and Vapor Rub kills the fungi. The only downside is that it works so well that the infected skin dies and falls off. It leaves you with very raw soar skin, especially between the toes.

Comment from: Cabotool, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

I had athletes foot all of my life (73 years). Several years ago I started having swollen ankles and feet (lymphedema); to the point where it was almost impossible to put on my shoes. My doctor suggested topical Lamosil, which did not help. And then oral Lamosil, which in rare cases can cause a fatal liver disease. I chose not to do that. Instead I used extreme measures to have clean and dry feet. Ever day I scrubbed between my toes, on top of my toes, on the ends of my toes and under my toes with a baby bottle brush and wore only sandals. In a few months the athlete's foot was cured and the ankle swelling substantially diminished. I have also had a toe nail fungal infection. My doctor suggested tea tree oil and I am wondering if colloidal silver will help with my toe nails?

Comment from: Sprayer, 45-54 Male Published: June 08

I am now 54 years and have been free of Athletes Foot for over 20 years. The solution was so simple, every time I showered and sprayed antiperspirant under the arms, I also sprayed between the toes every day! In just a few weeks the skin started to heal and Athletes foot disappeared. I now need to spray about twice a week for prevention. My reasoning was "prevent the perspiration that Fungus lives on."

Comment from: ismat, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I think I have cured my athlete's foot that's been bothering me for 3 years now. Just 2 weeks ago, I had a very itchy foot that I keep on scratching till the skin was actually swollen and got worse and bothered me for hours and I couldn't even sleep. I didn't know what to do, so I turned on my computer hoping I could find something and that should be available in my room at that moment because it was already late to go find medicine outside. As I was reading comments in this forum, there was this person who shared about applying VICKS Vaporub to the infected area and I immediately tried it and the good thing is that it is the only available medicine I have in my room and so I tried it and itching all of a sudden stopped and it never came back since then.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I have used 3 different creams and they have not helped much. Keeping feet dry and washing in salt or vinegar every night has helped and I have worn thongs around the home and this has helped a lot. I have applied tea tree oil after washing feet and this has helped a great deal.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

My son has had athletes foot since he was 13 years old and is now 35 years old. He's tried everything and it keeps coming back. He's sick of going to the doctor and not getting any lasting results.

Comment from: Chelle243, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I have athlete's foot under my arms. I have had this for two years now, and it is very hurtful and frustrating. Nothing seems to work. I hurt so much, and it is red and leaking!

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Men's Health Newsletter