Athlete's foot (tinea pedis) is a skin infection caused by the ringworm fungus. Symptoms include itching, burning, cracking, peeling, and bleeding feet. Treatment involves keeping the feet dry and clean, wearing shoes that can breathe, and using medicated powders to keep your feet dry. Read more: Athlete's Foot Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Rosacea, Acne, Shingles: Common Adult Skin Diseases
Learn to spot and treat skin conditions commonly found in adults such as acne, eczema, shingles, psoriasis, rosacea, hives, cold...
Ringworm: Treatment, Pictures, Causes, and Symptoms
What is ringworm? How do you get rid of ringworm? View ringworm (tinea) pictures and learn about ringworm treatment, causes,...
Common Causes of Foot Pain
Learn about common causes of foot pain such as bunions, corns, athlete's foot, plantar warts and more. Get the latest information...
How Diabetes Can Affect Your Feet
Learn more about diabetes related foot problems. For people with diabetes, too much glucose in the blood can cause serious foot...
Burning or Swollen Feet? What Foot Pain Says About Your Health
Foot pain and heel pain can be serious health problems. Discover information about cold feet, itchy feet, burning feet and...
Fungus Among Us: What to Know About Fungal Infections in Pictures
Protect yourself from different fungal infections like ringworm, athlete's foot, and jock itch. Discover how to treat fungal...
Is It Contagious? What Diseases Are Contagious?
Is it contagious? Take this quiz to learn about contagious diseases, how contagious diseases are spread, and myths and facts...
Picture of Ringworm of the Nails
This is the most common fungal infection of the nails, also called onychomycosis. See a picture of Ringworm of the Nails and...
Picture of Ringworm Tinea Unguium (Onychomycosis)
Tinea unguium (fungal infection of the nails) is somewhat uncommon during childhood. See a picture of Ringworm Tinea Unguium...
Picture of Athlete's Foot 2
Athlete's foot is a fungus that causes itching, redness, and cracking. See a picture of Athlete's Foot and learn more about the...
Picture of Types of Ringworm
Ringworm is a common skin disorder otherwise known as tinea. See a picture of Types of Ringworm and learn more about the health...
Picture of Athlete's Foot 1
Athlete's foot is caused by a fungus that grows on or in the top layer of skin. See a picture of Athlete's Foot and learn more...
Men's Health: Dealing With Body Odor, Sweating, Back Hair, & More
Most men struggle with belly fat, back hair, sweating, erectile dysfunction, gas, body odor, or bad breath at some point. Get...
Bad Gross-outs for Teen Boy's Locker Room in Pictures
Team spirit isn't the only thing that grows in locker rooms. From yellow toenails and itchy rashes to body odor and smelly gear,...
Related Disease Conditions
The term "ringworm" or "ringworms" refers to fungal infections that are on the surface of the skin. A physical examination of...
Cellulitis is an acute spreading bacterial infection below the surface of the skin characterized by redness, warmth,...
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
Jock itch is an itchy red rash that appears in the groin area. The rash may be caused by a bacterial or fungal infection. People...
Itch (Itching or Pruritus)
Itching can be a common problem. Itches can be localized or generalized. There are many causes of itching to include: infection...
Fungal nails (onychomycosis) may be caused by many species of fungi, but the most common is Trichophyton rubrum. Distal subungal...
Foot pain may be caused by injuries (sprains, strains, bruises, and fractures), diseases (diabetes, Hansen disease, and gout),...
Dry skin (xeroderma) may be caused by external factors, like cold temperatures, low humidity, harsh soaps, and certain...
Neutropenia is a marked decrease in the number of neutrophils, neutrophils being a type of white blood cell (specifically a form...
Is Ringworm Contagious?
A fungus causes ringworm. Ringworm can be transmitted from person to person. Animals may also spread ringworm. Ringworm causes an...
Diabetes and Foot Problems
Diabetes related foot problems can affect your health with two problems: diabetic neuropathy, where diabetes affects the nerves,...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Athlete's Foot - Symptoms
How long did the symptoms of your athlete's foot last? Was there anything that helped with symptom relief?Post View 78 Comments
Athlete's Foot - Causes
What caused your athlete's foot?Post View 18 Comments
Athlete's Foot - Treatment
What was the cure for your athlete's foot?Post View 28 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Dermatologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Diflucan (fluconazole)
- ciclopirox cream - topical, Loprox
- terbinafine solution - topical, Lamisil
- terbinafine cream - topical, Lamisil
- clotrimazole, Lotrimin AF, Gyne-Lotrimin, Alevazol, Desenex, Pro-Ex Antifungal
- itraconazole, Sporanox
- ketoconazole, Nizoral, Extina, Xolegel, Kuric
- Over-the-Counter Products
- Lotrisone (clotrimazole and betamethasone topical cream and lotion)
- miconazole, Monistat, M-Zole, Micatin
- griseofulvin (Gris-Peg, Grifulvin V, Griseofulvin Ultramicrosize)
- terbinafine, Lamisil, Lamisil AT
- nystatin powder suspension - oral
- oxiconazole nitrate - topical, Oxistat
- acetic acid/aluminum acetate - otic, Domeboro
- ciclopirox, Penlac, Loprox
- efinaconazole, Jublia
Prevention & Wellness
- Don't Let Your Kids Get Sidelined With Sports-Related Infections
- Health Tip: Do You Have Athlete's Foot?
- Avoid Unsightly Fungal Toenail Infections
- Athletes Can Be Champs at Fighting Skin Infections
- Health Tip: Protect Against Athlete's Foot
- Your Healthy Skin Germs Stay Put, Despite Cleaning
- Add Germ Fighters to College Packing List
- Health Tip: Got Athlete's Foot?
- Health Tip: Prevent Toenail Fungus
- Athletes Need to Guard Against Skin Woes
- Health Tip: Stay Safe at the Nail Salon
- Health Tip: Finding Fungal Infections
- Scientists Map the Fungi on Your Feet
- Hurricane Sandy's Health Woes Continue
- Health Tip: Protect Your Feet From Fungus
- Health Tip: Prevent Athlete's Foot
- Health Tip: Help Your Feet Beat Summer's Heat
- Health Tip: Protect Your Feet From Fungal Infection
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Athlete's Foot
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Men's Health Newsletter