Symptoms of asthma develop as a result of the narrowing and inflammation of the airways. Wheezing is a characteristic symptom of asthma, along with shortness of breath. Chest pain or tightness can accompany an asthma attack. Coughing can also be a symptom of asthma. The cough associated with asthma is often worse at night or in the early morning. Nighttime cough can lead to problems with sleep.
Symptoms vary among affected individuals. Some people have mild symptoms that occur infrequently, while others have more frequent or more severe symptoms. Severe asthma attacks can be life-threatening.
Causes of asthma
Asthma is a disease characterized by chronic inflammation of the airways. The inflammation results in narrowing of the airways and difficulty breathing. The precise cause of asthma is unknown, although it is believed to result from an interaction between inherited (genetic) and environmental factors. Those with a family history of asthma are more likely to develop the condition than those without a family history. Other risk factors for asthma include obesity, viral respiratory illness during childhood, exposure to tobacco smoke, and hay fever.
Other asthma symptoms and signs
- Blue Lips or Fingernails
- Chest Pain
- Chest Tightness
- Dyspnea (Difficulty Breathing)
- Rapid Breathing
- Shortness of Breath
- Trouble Sleeping
Main Article on Asthma Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Asthma Attacks: Triggers, Symptoms, and Treatment
Asthma symptoms include coughing, wheezing, headache, fatigue, dark circles under the eyes, trouble sleeping, and loss of...
Asthma Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Asthma is a chronic disease of the airways of the lungs, which can be managed with proper treatment. Triggered by two main...
What is Asthma? Asthma Myths Debunked
What are asthma myths and facts? There is currently no cure for asthma, and no specific, single cause for asthma has been...
What Is Asthma? Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments
What is asthma? Learn information about asthma, a chronic disease of the bronchiole tubes. Discover information about asthma...
Worst Smog Cities in Pictures: Air Pollution, Ozone, and Asthma
Learn the worst smog cities in America. See the 10 cities with the most polluted, unclean and smoggy air.
Examples of Medications for Asthma Symptoms and Signs
- Advair Diskus, Advair HFA (fluticasone and salmeterol oral inhaler)
- albuterol (Ventolin, Proventil)
- ArmonAir Digihaler (fluticasone propionate inhalation powder)
- ArmonAir RespiClick (fluticasone propionate)
- beclomethasone hfa inhaler - oral, Qvar
- budesonide (oral inhalation, Pulmicort, Pulmicort Flexhaler)
- budesonide nasal inhaler (Rhinocort Allergy, Rhinocort Aqua)
- flunisolide - oral inhalation, Aerobid
- flunisolide nasal spray, Aerospan (Nasalide, Aerobid, Aerobid HFA are discontinued)
- fluticasone propionate oral inhaler (Flovent)
- formoterol powder in capsule - oral inhalation, Foradil
- How Do You Use Inhalers and Nebulizers?
- ipratropium bromide inhaler (Atrovent)
- ipratropium solution - inhalation, Atrovent
- levalbuterol pre-mixed solution - inhalation, Xopenex
- metaproterenol inhaler - oral, Alupent
- methylprednisolone (Medrol)
- montelukast, Singulair
- Nucala (mepolizumab)
- omalizumab (Xolair)
- pirbuterol breath activated aerosol inhaler - oral, Maxair Autohaler
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- Qvar (beclomethasone) Side Effects, Warnings, and Drug Interactions
- salmeterol (Serevent)
- Side Effects of Elixophyllin (theophylline)
- Side Effects of Ephedrine (oral)
- theophylline (Elixophyllin, Theo-24)
- Trelegy Ellipta (fluticasone furoate)
- What Are the Benefits of An Aerosol Treatment?
- zafirlukast (Accolate)
- zileuton - oral, Zyflo