Patient Comments: Asthma - Medications

Which medications do you use to control your asthma? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Greta P.am on sal, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I am taking Symbicort twice a day to control my asthma.

Comment from: Sisie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I have a history of colds, a few allergies, etc., but just a couple of months ago I was diagnosed with asthma, possibly COPD. Advair did not seem to be helping, in fact, it tore up the tissues in my throat. I am on Spiriva and have Ventolin. (I was rinsing after as directed). I still have breathlessness and am not enjoying this at all! The last trip to my doctor didn't help much. My specialist appointment isn't for three months!

Comment from: G Koskinen, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I have had asthma my whole life but about 7 years ago my asthma got so bad I could not leave my house. I get Xolair shots every 2 weeks and have done so the last 5 years. It does help but it is a slow process. Asthma has ruined my life. I can't go out in public because of smoke, perfume, hairspray and aftershave. I use my inhaler 5-7 times a day with not much help. I"m stuck in my own little world because others think it"s in my head. I would like to see then live just 1 day with my asthma and I'm sure they would see my point of view.

Comment from: Ana, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I'm 32 years old. I had asthma all my life and I usually ended up in the emergency room twice a year, well there is actually 2 occasions where my asthma was completely controlled. The first one was when I was 12 or 13 years old I started seeing an allergist. I got desensitized and it worked. The treatment is based on a series of vaccines and it completely took away all my symptoms. I was a "normal" person. I jogged and danced and nothing ever got my breath away until I turned 20 or 21. After my first child it took me a long time before I found a treatment that worked, but I finally did after being in the ER twice in one week. I got an asthmatic doctor who told me he was going to give me the treatment he used and he said that I wouldn't get an attack again. Okay it was Flovent twice a day, Nasonex once in the morning, Foradil twice a day, and Singulair once a day and for the past 2 years I've been asthma free. I don't even take my Albuterol with me everywhere. I actually don't use it (I don't recommend this), but I'm truly happy with the treatment and I know is a lot, but it becomes part of your daily routine just like washing your face or brushing your teeth! I hope at least one person benefit from this comment. It has been life changing for me and I hope it would be for someone else.

Comment from: still fighting, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I was diagnosed with COPD about 15 yrs ago after suffering from Asthma for almost 25 yrs. I was forced to go on disability and have managed to lead a fairly normal life except I lead a very sedentary lifestyle due to shortness of breath. I quit smoking 17 yrs ago after smoking for 35 yrs. I had tried many times previously but failed until I used a nicotine patch. Thank God for that success. I know I have shortened my life but have managed with meds like Advair, Singulair, Spiriva, Theodor, Ventolin inhaler, and sometimes Predinsone to get along. I only wish I had been able to quit smoking sooner than I did but I suffered from terrible withdrawal symptoms. I lost my best friend last week to COPD. My advice - don't quit trying to quit smoking! You can succeed!

Comment from: komalam, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 09

I am writing for my mother, who had fever, flu, and dry cough. We visited many doctors and she has taken many medicines. Last time she was admitted in the hospital for 5 days but still continues to have cough. And doctor gave the spray for asthma.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

Any time I get a cold or sinus infection, I end up coughing for months afterward. I can double up the Flovent. Cough syrup with Codeine works momentarily, but when it wears off the cough comes back. I use the Albuterol daily, sometimes more, but still I cough. The only thing that seems to kick it is Prednisone, but the doctors seem to think you should suffer for a good long time before prescribing it..

Comment from: sk8r, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I have been using Advair for my asthma for a few years, and I don't know what I would do without it. I use it once in the morning and at night and when I am finding it difficult to breathe (from colds or illness). Since using Advair, my need for Ventolin has diminished dramatically. It also allows me to go for a run and figure skate, which was always difficult to do before using Advair.

Comment from: Gracie M., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I have had asthma since birth and couldn't be treated until I was 3. I have taken a bunch of stuff over the years, and nothing has worked as well as Advair HFA. It's the first time in my life I've been able to breathe "normally." My doctor tries to get me off of it every six months or so because it can cause loss of bone density. I say, “At least I'll still be able to breathe!”

Published: July 30

One size doesn't fit all. I tried Albuterol and Levalbuterol Tartrate. Albuterol made my heart pound and I had insomnia. After 2 months, I had to use it day and night until, while in the shower, my lungs closed completely and I grabbed my old bottle of Primatene Mist and it saved me. Levalbuterol Tartrate had less side effects but I had to use it more and more until it was also day and night instead of once a night that I needed while taking Primatene Mist. I didn't have a pounding heart or insomnia on Primatene Mist and I used it for 23 years. Now the FDA is taking it off the shelves and my life will be ruined! There is a lot of incorrect information out there about Beta 2 agonists. My drug information that came with the Albuterol, said it actually causes asthma and causes paradoxical reactions. Not all people can take it! Taking Primatene Mist off the market is cruel to people like me and people who have no insurance.

Comment from: nvmapper, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 12

I developed asthma-like symptoms at age 40. I was treated for five years with Prednisone and developed cataracts in both eyes by age 44! I weaned myself off the prednisone because I had developed osteoporosis. My latest hospital visit was for thirty-six hours where they gave me intravenous Prednisone every four hours. I didn't take the prescribed oral drug at all after discharge and suffered no side effects. Prednisone doesn't cure anything, it just hides the symptoms. Besides making one fat and short tempered, there are some real bad side effects that will make one's life miserable. Antibiotics, Albuterol, and Singulair helped me recover from this latest attack.

Comment from: Trishi, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

The Aerobid inhaler has been a life-saver! I have been on Aerobid for some years and haven't had an attack in all that time .... though now my insurance plan has moved it to a level 3, so the co-pay is $100 for a 90-day supply. If it is that expensive now, I don't know what I will do in the future.

Comment from: Hania, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I have been using Albuterol for the last 13 years, since I was eight years old. I feel that over the years, I have become extremely dependent on it. As far as other medications go, you name it, I've tried it. I think Ventolin worked the best as a fast acting inhaler. I was given Singular for a little over a year a few years back, but started to develop depression. Recently the FDA released statements saying Singulair did indeed cause depression in a lot of people who had been prescribed to use it. I have also used Advair as a longer term controller, and felt that's the best I'd ever breathed. I hardly used my albuterol inhaler while I was on Advair.

Comment from: Donna B, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I used Marax pills from 1974 to mid 90's, then they were outlawed because they contained ephedra which was being abused. Marax was best bronchial dialator and was able to cough up asthma mucus. My Doctor put me on an inhaler and I wound up in hospital after first use as I was allergic to the propellant in the inhaler ! I use Serevent to prevent asthma but bad sinuses drain continually into lungs and I use Primatine tabs to help clear lungs.

Published: June 30

I take Singulair every day, which helps prevent most of my attacks. I have my albuterol inhaler in case something triggers an attack, and I also have an at-home nebulizer for when I get sick and my breathing worsens and also for when I have prolonged and recurring attacks. The Singulair really does stop most attacks from happening; the others are just a backup for extenuating circumstances.

Comment from: klanii0923, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I've had asthma since birth and have tried at least 10 medications, including Albuterol, Vanceril, and Singulair. I've found that Advair is an amazing product, but in suggestion to others, there are two ancient breathing techniques that have helped me maintain the amount and severity of my attacks. The Pap Worth and Buteyko methods are both great for relaxation and breathing.

Comment from: divine, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

I think the best way to minimize this asthma crisis is to advise the asthma patients to always double up their clothes or sweater during cold season, drink warm/hot water in order to keep the body warm. They should avoid tedious work, avoid dust and stress. I suggest seminars should be organized to pass the massage on everything concerning asthma. I know of someone suffering bronchitis, the symptoms are not far from that of asthma. Something has to be done yes, but how since the climate condition is not helping issues. I am from Nigeria and I know how it is here with the weather. I think this is much I can say for now until I hear your own side of this issue.

Comment from: Hope, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

I have had asthma all my life and for the most part it was under control until I was in my early 30's but still I did relatively well after having been on Asmanex for a short time along with my Albuterol inhaler, but since they have changed it to HFA in the last year I have not been able to sustain a decent pattern of breathing. It seems that I have to use my inhaler much more regularly whereas before I could go days without it, and now I am back to using my inhaler daily up to 4 times a day. Something about this new medication and not having CFC or having HFA in it instead has definitely made it harder for me to have stability in my breathing.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I've had asthma for 6 ½ years since the age of 29. It is usually triggered by respiratory infections. Sometimes changes in weather. Whenever the kids get a cold, I end up sick even with handwashing or sanitizer's. I have a neb. at home for when I get sick. The Xopenex works somewhat with Pulmicort. Live on Albuterol I am on daily lose dose prednisone and Advair. Prednisone is a double edged sword. The side effects of pred. are hard to deal with.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

The information has been really helpful. I am actually printing it out and giving it to my boss because he yelled at me for having an asthma attack in a check stand and thought I had been faking problems previously that week.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: April 06

My daughter, who never had asthma as a child, but became a very severe asthmatic in her adult years, has tried a very unusual remedy. We are all in amazement at the results of her treatment. Once a month she sees a chiropractor gets adjusted and is now off of 2 inhalers in addition to a pill. She is doing remarkably well and has been off of medication for at least 1 year now.

Comment from: Grand-moogi, 35-44 Male Published: March 12

My son (37yr old) seems to have a choice. Either take his migraine tablets and suffer asthma or take the asthma medication and put up with the migraines. I have told him to go back to the doctor. His asthma is dreadful. You can't hold a conversation with him because of it. He takes Symbicort for asthma and Inderal for migraines.

Comment from: robyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have been using Albuterol for the last 4/5 years. I notice about 2 years ago that the new atomizer I had just received did not seem to be as effective as far a getting the mist into my lungs. Seems the propellant has been changed and the main propellant in Albuterol these days is alcohol! Being a recovering alcoholic I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced alcohol cravings after using the inhaler. I have 10 years sobriety and notice after using my inhaler I get the old cravings back.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

Ventolin inhalers are good for short term relief; I have found that prednisolone is good for more severe breath loss (30mg/day staged down to 20mg/day over 5 days.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

What has worked for me is Symbicort and Singulair. It has reduced the thick mucus from my lungs. Furthermore it helped a lot to leave the university hospital's (concrete horror) fungus and antibiotics infested air (worked there). Now I work in an old brick built hospital from 1913 and the air is so much better. My lungs refuse smoke of any kind: scouts fire or a chimney whatever. Sadly I had to leave a REM concert due to others smoking cigarettes. I was coughing and wheezing, although it is forbidden by law to smoke inside in public places here in Denmark.

Comment from: Lawrence, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I would like to know if there is a specialty clinic in Toronto Canada for asthma and/or related problems. My GP is giving me a med which is not helping in extreme situations and I would like to explore alternatives

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Allergy and Asthma Newsletter