Patient Comments: Asthma - Symptoms

What kind of asthma symptoms do you experience? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Kaybaba, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

My asthma symptoms are shortness of breath and spitting out of some thick and sticky mucus from my throat.

Comment from: edtechmommy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

When I was 38, I started having intermittent periods for the first time ever. I took pregnancy tests every month that I missed one, always negative. I was sent to a fertility specialist, who found out (through results of an MRI) that I had a tumor surrounding my pituitary gland. I had transfenoidal surgery (tumor removed through my nasal passage and de-bulked) to remove the tumor, and the majority of my pituitary gland was removed with it! I now will always have hypopituitarism (without the full function of my pituitary gland) and have to take hydrocortisone daily to live and stress doses when I have surgery or am stressed.

Comment from: jess, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 21

I am taking care of a friend who has trouble breathing. He gasps for air when sleeping.

Comment from: mjh1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

Shortness of breath due to my asthma seems to be getting worse.

Comment from: Tiger, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 17

Coughing so bad and can't breath if there is no inhale medication.

Comment from: Survivor, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

At age 20 I was diagnosed with bronchitis. At that time I had been a smoker for at least 1 year. My doctor admonished me that if I didn't quit, the bronchitis could turn into asthma. I had not quit and by the time I was 31, I had an asthma attack. After that, I quit cold turkey. Today, I still suffer asthma symptoms although I haven't smoked for at least 16 years. Symptoms include: shortness of breath after energetic activity and even climbing stairs, wheezing, fatigue and tightness of the chest with the changes in weather. I also suffer with allergies which sometimes trigger asthma symptoms. One of the main triggers is now cigeratte smoke!Medications I have used to treat these symptoms include Advair, Singular, albuteral inhaler. I even used Prima Tene Mist inhaler, but it did not work as well as the Albuterol. Life is not over because of this condition as long as I use treatments properly.

Comment from: hicks310, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I am a 51 year old female. At Age 40 I developed allergies and asthma. Never experienced any of this in my years before. I have taken allergy shots for 10 years and recently stopped taking shots. I am on lots of medications for allergies and asthma. I have experienced many bouts of pneumonia, bronchitis, and sinus infections. I was recently diagnosed with COPD. I have never smoked a day in my Life. I have been sick about three weeks now with bronchitis, I have been on double antibiotics and still don't feel good. My lungs are wheezing in all four chambers. The doctor has put me off work to get rest and has put me on double steroids and another type of pill for my asthma. I already use singular, Advair, Spiriva, and Albuterol in my nebulizer. This round of sickness has me very worried. Usually it doesn't hang around this long. For my allergies I take Allegra daily. I used cough medicine at night but my coughing is much better now.

Comment from: padams, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

My attacks are triggered by fragrances. If I control my exposure to the odors such as perfumes, smoke, bad breath, body odor, gardening fertilizers, mold, mildew, fabric softeners, room deodorizers, I have less flare ups. It's difficult to do in public places, but I work at staying healthy to avoid medical emergencies or treatments for flare ups.

Comment from: mimzy1969, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 16

My 19 year old daughter has been admitted into the hospital a total of 34 times in 8 months. Here O2 levels r usually at 79 or lower. This happens on a weekly sometimes daily basis. I don't know what to do for her any more. Nothing seems to be helping. Is it really asthma or can it be something else? We've had all the allergy tests done and not much there.

Comment from: lehua, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I just found out I have chronic asthma and I'm constantly coughing and have shortness of breath and the doctor gave me qvar and I don't think it's working. I still have shortness of breath and the cough. I am 25 years old.

Asthma Attack Treatment
Comment from: scrapper_blue, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

Breathlessness when doing the simplest physical things, like walking up stairs. Sometimes it's followed by exhaustion.

Asthma Attack Treatment