Asthma in children manifests with symptoms such as coughing and wheezing. Rates of asthma in children are increasing. Asthma in children is usually diagnosed based on the description of symptoms. Lung function tests may also be used. A variety of medications are used for the treatment of childhood asthma. Read more: Asthma in Children Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Asthma Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Asthma is a chronic disease of the airways of the lungs, which can be managed with proper treatment. Triggered by two main...
Asthma Symptoms, Causes, and Medications
What is asthma? Learn about asthma, a chronic inflammation disorder of the bronchiole tubes (airways). Discover information about...
What’s Causing Your Indoor Air Pollution?
Do you know what pollutants are threatening your indoor air quality? Learn about exposure to carbon monoxide, radon, pesticides,...
Asthma Attack Signs, Treatments, and Prevention
Look at the anatomy of an asthma attack. See these warning signs and symptoms to avoid an asthma emergency such as a persistent...
What is Asthma? Asthma Myths Debunked
There is currently no cure for asthma, and no specific, single cause for asthma has been identified. Take this quiz on asthma...
Enterovirus D68 (EV-D68): Symptoms and Treatment
What is Enterovirus D68? Learn about causes, symptoms and treatment for this deadly strain of EV-D68 virus that has sickened...
Effects of Secondhand Smoke: Facts
The effects of secondhand smoke can be hazardous to your health. Secondhand smoke can lead to lung cancer, heart disease, and...
10 Worst Asthma Cities in the U. S. in Pictures
Do you live in one of the 10 worst cites for asthma? There is no such thing as an asthma-free city, but some are more difficult...
Related Disease Conditions
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Vitamin D Deficiency
Vitamin D deficiency has been linked with rickets, cancer, cardiovascular disease, severe asthma in children and cognitive...
Eczema refers to skin inflammation. There are many different types of eczema that produce symptoms and signs that range from...
GERD (Acid Reflux, Heartburn)
GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is a condition in which the acidified liquid contents of the stomach backs up into the...
19 Tips on How to Stop a Cough
Coughing is a reflex that helps a person clear their airways of irritants. There are many causes of an excessive or severe...
An allergy refers to a misguided reaction by our immune system in response to bodily contact with certain foreign substances. ...
Cough (Chronic Cough)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such...
Neutropenia is a marked decrease in the number of neutrophils, neutrophils being a type of white blood cell (specifically a form...
Hypoxia is a condition in which the normal concentration of oxygen in the blood is not enough for normal life functions....
Asthma: Over the Counter Treatment
Patients who have infrequent, mild bouts of asthma attacks may use over-the-counter (OTC) medications to treat their asthma...
Sleepwalking is a condition in which an individual walks or does other activities while asleep. Factors associated with...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize serious diseases and health problems like strokes, heart attacks, cancers, reproductive problems in...
Asthma is a condition in which hyperreactive airways constrict and result in symptoms like wheezing, coughing, and shortness of...
Lung Anatomy (Structure and Function)
The lungs are primarily responsible for the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide between the air we breathe and the blood....
Adult-onset asthma is asthma that is diagnosed in people over 20 years of age. Symptoms include wheezing, coughing, shortness of...
Fast-food consumption and lack of exercise are just a couple of causes of childhood obesity. Health effects of childhood obesity...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Breastfeeding (and Formula Feeding)
It's important to know whether you will breastfeed or bottle-feed your baby prior to delivery, as the breasts' ability to produce...
Children's Cough Causes and Treatments
Children's cough causes include infection, acid reflux, asthma, allergies or sinus infection, whooping cough, and exposure to...
There are two types of asthma medications: long-term control with anti-inflammatory drugs and quick relief from bronchodilators....
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Enterovirus (Non-Polio Enterovirus Infection)
Non-polio enteroviruses cause a variety of infections, including aseptic meningitis, hand, foot, and mouth disease, herpangina,...
Secondhand smoke can cause illness and disease in nonsmokers. Some of these conditions include lung cancer, heart disease,...
Allergy Treatment Begins At Home
Avoiding allergy triggers at home is one of the best ways to prevent allergy symptoms. Controlling temperature, humidity, and...
There are many unusual symptoms of asthma, including sighing, difficulty sleeping, anxiety, chronic cough, recurrent walking...
Biologic rhythms, or biorhythms, are how our bodies respond to the regular phases of the sun, moon, and seasons. A medical...
COPD vs. Asthma (Differences and Similarities)
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and asthma both have common symptoms like coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath,...
Headaches in Children
Kids get headaches and migraines too. Many adults with headaches started having them as kids, in fact, 20% of adult headache...
Local ResourcesFind a local Pediatrician in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Shortness of Breath (Dyspnea)
- Loss of Appetite
- Dark Circles Under the Eyes
- Cyanosis (Turning Blue)
- Chronic Cough
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Asthma: Managing Exercise-Induced Asthma
- Asthma Control: Know Your Score
- Asthma, Controlling Your
- Asthma Update -- Paul Enright, MD. -- 11/25/02
- Asthma and Allergies and Your Child
Medications & Supplements
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- ipratropium bromide inhaler, Atrovent, Atrovent HFA
- Bronchodilators (Drug Class)
- montelukast, Singulair
- budesonide (oral inhalation, Pulmicort, Pulmicort Flexhaler)
- hydrocortisone injection (Solu-Cortef, A-Hydrocort)
- albuterol (Accuneb, Ventolin & Proventil [all discontinued])
- fluticasone propionate oral inhaler, Flovent (Discontinued), Flovent Diskus, Flovent HFA
- aminophylline (Norphyl, Phyllocontin, Truphylline) injection
- terbutaline, Brethine, Bricanyl, and Brethaire are no longer available in the U.S.
- Predinsone Side Effects (Adverse Effects)
- Advair Diskus, Advair HFA (fluticasone and salmeterol oral inhaler)
- beclomethasone dipropionate inhaler (Qvar)
- cromolyn, Nasalcrom, Gastrocrom (Intal, Opticrom are discontinued)
- levalbuterol pre-mixed solution - inhalation, Xopenex
- zafirlukast (Accolate)
- triamcinolone acetonide inhaler, Azmacort
- beclomethasone dipropionate inhaler/spray; Beconase AQ, QNASL
- budesonide/formoterol hfa inhaler (Symbicort)
- flunisolide nasal spray, Aerospan (Nasalide, Aerobid, Aerobid HFA are discontinued)
- ciclesonide (Alvesco)
- bitolterol mesylate, Tornalate
- Dulera (mometasone furoate/formoterol fumarate)
Prevention & Wellness
- Could Pests, Dust Lower Kids' Odds for Asthma?
- Many Students Reluctant to Use Asthma Inhalers at School
- Are Heartburn Meds During Pregnancy Linked to Asthma in Kids?
- Early Virus Raises Asthma Risk in Certain Kids: Study
- Kids With Mild Asthma Can Take Acetaminophen: Study
- London's Great Smog of 1952 Linked to Asthma Surge
- Prenatal Vitamin D Supplements May Not Lower Baby's Asthma Risk: Study
- Child Asthma Rates Leveling Off, Except Among Poor and Older Kids: Study
- Decrease in Air Pollution Tied to Healthier Lungs in Children
- Cat, Dust Mite Allergies Linked to Childhood Asthma
- Poor Quality Housing Tied to Higher Asthma Rates Among Kids
- Halloween Safety Tips for Kids With Asthma
- Putting Baby to Sleep on Animal Fur May Lower Asthma Risk: Study
- Health Tip: Take it Easy on Chemical Cleaners
- Costs a Barrier to Asthma Care for Some Kids
- Children's Asthma Linked to Air Pollution in 2nd Trimester: Study
- Study Probes Link Between Early Antibiotic Use, Asthma
- Traffic Smog Tied to Hospital Stays for White Kids With Asthma
- September Peak Month for Kids' Asthma Flares: Study
- Black Children, Teens More Likely to Return to Hospital for Asthma: Study
- Premature Birth Linked to Asthma, Wheezing in Childhood
- Testing for Smoke Exposure May Predict Rehospitalization for Asthma
- Health Tip: Pay Attention to Air Pollution
- Less Variety in Babies' Gut Bacteria May Lead to Asthma Risk
- Dogs May Guard Babies Against Asthma, Allergies
- Probiotics Don't Prevent Childhood Asthma, Study Finds
- Nebulizers May Not Deliver Full Drug Dose to Kids With Asthma
- Too Few Americans With Asthma Are Getting Flu Shots, CDC Says
- Obese Kids More Likely to Have Asthma, With Worse Symptoms
- Sleepless Nights May Hurt School Performance of Kids With Asthma
- Materials in Some Household Products Tied to Lung Damage
- Insurance Loss Hampers Young People With Asthma
- Genes and Early Wheezing Tied to Childhood Asthma Risk
- Plastics Chemical BPA Tied to Higher Asthma Risk in Kids
- Health Tip: Does Asthma Affect Your Sleep?
- No Link Between Low Birth Weight, Asthma: Study
- Virus Patterns Where Kids Live May Affect Asthma Risk
- Mold Exposure in Infancy May Raise Asthma Risk
- Health Tip: Poor Air Quality Affects Kids With Asthma
- Asthma Rates Higher Near Busy Highway
- Asthma Meds May Be Linked to Irregular Heartbeat
- Breathing Smog While Pregnant May Worsen Asthma in Offspring
- Inhaled Steroids Lead to Big Drop in Asthma Deaths at Texas Hospital: Study
- Asthma Cases Continue to Rise in U.S., Affecting Millions
- The Worst Cities in the U.S. for Asthma
- Many Asthmatic Kids Harmed by Secondhand Smoke: Study
- Some Schools Don't Let Kids Carry Asthma Inhalers
- Rapid Asthma Treatment in ER May Prevent Admission
- Obesity Linked to Asthma in Children
- Heartburn Meds Won't Help, May Harm Kids With Asthma
- Why Don't Some People With Asthma Respond to Medication?
- Are Vacuum Cleaners Bad for Your Health?
- EPA Proposes New Mercury Air Pollution Rules
- New Technique May Help Diagnose Asthma, COPD
- Alternative Way to Treat Childhood Asthma?
- Surgeon General Urges Support for Breastfeeding
- Flu Is Widespread in 11 States
- Risks of Thirdhand Cigarette Smoke Can Linger
- Asthma a Problem for Millions
- Recall of Albuterol Used in Nebulizers
- Low Vitamin D in Newborns Linked to Wheezing
- Obese Teens at Risk for Severe Adult Obesity
- Vitamin D May Improve Asthma Control
- Acetaminophen: Teen Asthma Trigger?
- Too Much Pregnancy Weight Gain Raises Child's Obesity Risk
- HPV Viruses Linked to Skin Cancer
- Vitamin E May Lower Women's Lung Disease Risk
- Breastfeeding Cuts Fever Risk After Vaccines
- Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Could Affect Health
- FDA Approves New Device for Asthma Relief
- Traffic Pollution Raises ER Visits for Asthma
- Cost Concerns Delay Heart Attack Care
- Breastfeeding Rates Vary by Race, Region
- How to Treat Kids' Hard-to-Control Asthma
- Worst Cities for People With Asthma
- Panel Critical of FDA's Asthma Drug Ruling
- Survey: Asthma Control Still Poor
- Gastric Banding Surgery Works for Teens
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Children's Health & Parenting Newsletter