Trending Asthma Topics
While there are no asthma-free cities, some are more challenging than others for people living with asthma. View this slideshow to see the 10 worst cites for asthma, according to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
Related Disease Conditions
Adult-onset asthma is asthma that is diagnosed in people over 20 years of age. Symptoms include wheezing, coughing, shortness of...
There are many unusual symptoms of asthma, including sighing, difficulty sleeping, anxiety, chronic cough, recurrent walking...
Asthma in Children
Asthma in children manifests with symptoms such as coughing and wheezing. Rates of asthma in children are increasing. Asthma in...
There are two types of asthma medications: long-term control with anti-inflammatory drugs and quick relief from bronchodilators....
Asthma is a condition in which hyperreactive airways constrict and result in symptoms like wheezing, coughing, and shortness of...
Asthma: Over the Counter Treatment
Patients who have infrequent, mild bouts of asthma attacks may use over-the-counter (OTC) medications to treat their asthma...
Churg-Strauss Syndrome is a form of vasculitis. Vasculitis is an inflammation of the blood vessels. Symptoms of Churg-Strauss...
Exercise-induced asthma is asthma triggered by vigorous exercise. Symptoms include coughing, shortness of breath, chest...
Occupational asthma is a type of asthma caused by exposure to a substance in the workplace. Symptoms and signs include wheezing,...
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Worst Smog Cities in Pictures: Air Pollution, Ozone, and Asthma
Learn the worst smog cities in America. See the 10 cities with the most polluted, unclean and smoggy air....
Asthma Attack Signs, Treatments, and Prevention
Look at the anatomy of an asthma attack. See these warning signs and symptoms to avoid an asthma emergency such as a persistent...
What is Asthma? Asthma Myths Debunked
There is currently no cure for asthma, and no specific, single cause for asthma has been identified. Take this quiz on asthma...
Asthma Symptoms, Causes, and Medications
What is asthma? Learn about asthma, a chronic inflammation disorder of the bronchiole tubes (airways). Discover information about...
Asthma Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Asthma is a chronic disease of the airways of the lungs, which can be managed with proper treatment. Triggered by two main...
10 Worst Asthma Cities in the U. S. in Pictures
Do you live in one of the 10 worst cites for asthma? There is no such thing as an asthma-free city, but some are more difficult...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Methotrexate Spares Steroids in Asthmatics
- What Are the Side Effects of Asthma Inhalers?
- Does Altitude Affect Asthma?
- Can Asthma Go Away and Come Back?
- Asthma in Women, Asthma in Pregnancy
- Can Asthma Medication Hide Churg-Strauss Syndrome?
- Asthma Rates Increasing
- What Causes Asthma?
- Best Exercises for Asthma: Yoga, Swimming, Biking, and Walking
- Can Asthma Cause a Heart Attack?
- Exercise Preventing Asthma?
- Does Stress Cause Asthma?
- What Is Exercise-Induced Asthma?
- How Bad for You Is Air Pollution?
Medications & Supplements
- albuterol (Accuneb, Ventolin & Proventil [all discontinued])
- albuterol and ipratropium inhaler, Combivent, Combivent Respimat
- beclomethasone dipropionate inhaler (Qvar)
- beclomethasone dipropionate nasal inhaler-spray, Vancenase, Beconase
- bitolterol mesylate, Tornalate
- Bronchodilators (Drug Class)
- budesonide (oral inhalation, Pulmicort, Pulmicort Flexhaler)
- budesonide/formoterol hfa inhaler (Symbicort)
- ciclesonide (Alvesco)
- Claritin (loratadine) vs. Zyrtec (cetirizine)
- cromolyn, Nasalcrom, Gastrocrom (Intal, Opticrom are discontinued)
- Dulera (mometasone furoate/formoterol fumarate)
- ephedrine (oral)
- Advair Diskus, Advair HFA (fluticasone and salmeterol oral inhaler)
- fluticasone propionate oral inhaler (Flovent)
- hydrocortisone oral (Cortef)
- ipratropium bromide inhaler (Atrovent)
- ketotifen-oral tablet
- montelukast, Singulair
- omalizumab, Xolair
- salmeterol (Serevent)
- terbutaline, Brethine, Bricanyl, and Brethaire are no longer available in the U.S.
- theophylline, Elixophyllin, Theo-24, (Theolair, Uniphyl Theo-Dur, and Slo-Phyllin-discontinued)
- triamcinolone acetonide inhaler, Azmacort
- zafirlukast (Accolate)
Prevention & Wellness
- 5 Tips to Manage Your Child's Asthma
- A 'Hypoallergenic' Dog? You May Be Barking Up the Wrong Tree
- Add Asthma to List of Possible Causes of Childhood Obesity
- Asthma Often Goes Undetected in Urban Teens, Study Finds
- Asthma-Obesity Link May Cut Both Ways
- Asthmatic Teens Even More Likely to Vape Than Those Without the Illness
- Can You Eat Your Way to Better Asthma Control?
- Dirty Air Tied to Millions of Asthma ER Visits Each Year
- Does Fish Oil Help Control Asthma? Not So Much, Study Finds
- Don't Blame Just Air Pollution for Asthma in Kids
- FDA Says Primatene Mist Inhaler is Back for Asthmatics
- First Generic Version of Advair Diskus Approved for Asthma, COPD
- Friends' Vaping Could Pose Danger to Kids With Asthma
- Got Asthma? Avoid Allergens
- Health Tip: Reducing Asthma Attacks in Cold Weather
- Health Tip: Identifying Asthma Triggers
- Pets Can Double as Asthma Antidote
- Poor Asthma Control Tied to Worse School Performance
- Preschoolers' Parents May Be Unprepared to Treat Asthma
- Secondhand Pot Smoke Can Harm an Asthmatic Child
- Singulair Asthma Tablet Bottles Recalled
- Walkable Neighborhoods Might Lower Kids' Asthma Risk
- Women With Asthma More Likely to Develop COPD
- Asthma + No Meds = Hospitalization
- Asthma from Cockroach Allergy?
- Asthma Myths
- Asthma Specific References
- Asthma Trigger Checklist
- Asthma Winter Exercise Tips
- Asthma: Do You Have Asthma?
- Asthma: Early Warning Signs of Asthma
- Asthma: Everyday Pain Relief
- Asthma: Help Teachers, Coaches and Students
- Asthma: Helping City Kids With Asthma
- Asthma: The Magnitude of the Problem
- Asthma: When You Have Asthma
- Asthma: When Your Child Has Asthma
- Body Rhythms and Asthma
- Exercise and Asthma: A Dangerous Mix?
- Exercise Induced Asthma (E.I.A.)
- Exercise Induced Asthma - Prevention and Treatment
- FDA Approves Xolair for Allergy-Related Asthma
- Managing Asthma
- Sick Building Syndrome
- Asthma: Spring Allergies Can Trigger Asthma
- Asthma and Pain Relievers