Trending Asthma Topics
While there are no asthma-free cities, some are more challenging than others for people living with asthma. View this slideshow to see the 10 worst cites for asthma, according to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
Related Disease Conditions
Adult-onset asthma is asthma that is diagnosed in people over 20 years of age. Symptoms include wheezing, coughing, shortness of...
There are many unusual symptoms of asthma, including sighing, difficulty sleeping, anxiety, chronic cough, recurrent walking...
Asthma in Children
Asthma in children manifests with symptoms such as coughing and wheezing. Rates of asthma in children are increasing. Asthma in...
There are two types of asthma medications: long-term control with anti-inflammatory drugs and quick relief from bronchodilators....
Asthma is a condition in which hyperreactive airways constrict and result in symptoms like wheezing, coughing, and shortness of...
Asthma: Over the Counter Treatment
Patients who have infrequent, mild bouts of asthma attacks may use over-the-counter (OTC) medications to treat their asthma...
Churg-Strauss Syndrome is a form of vasculitis. Vasculitis is an inflammation of the blood vessels. Symptoms of Churg-Strauss...
Exercise-induced asthma is asthma triggered by vigorous exercise. Symptoms include coughing, shortness of breath, chest...
Occupational asthma is a type of asthma caused by exposure to a substance in the workplace. Symptoms and signs include wheezing,...
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Worst Smog Cities in Pictures: Air Pollution, Ozone, and Asthma
Learn the worst smog cities in America. See the 10 cities with the most polluted, unclean and smoggy air....
Asthma Attack Signs, Treatments, and Prevention
Look at the anatomy of an asthma attack. See these warning signs and symptoms to avoid an asthma emergency such as a persistent...
What is Asthma? Asthma Myths Debunked
There is currently no cure for asthma, and no specific, single cause for asthma has been identified. Take this quiz on asthma...
Asthma Symptoms, Causes, and Medications
What is asthma? Learn about asthma, a chronic inflammation disorder of the bronchiole tubes (airways). Discover information about...
Asthma Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Asthma is a chronic disease of the airways of the lungs, which can be managed with proper treatment. Triggered by two main...
10 Worst Asthma Cities in the U. S. in Pictures
Do you live in one of the 10 worst cites for asthma? There is no such thing as an asthma-free city, but some are more difficult...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Methotrexate Spares Steroids in Asthmatics
- What Are the Side Effects of Asthma Inhalers?
- Does Altitude Affect Asthma?
- Can Asthma Go Away and Come Back?
- Asthma in Women, Asthma in Pregnancy
- Can Asthma Medication Hide Churg-Strauss Syndrome?
- Asthma Rates Increasing
- What Causes Asthma?
- Best Exercises for Asthma: Yoga, Swimming, Biking, and Walking
- Can Asthma Cause a Heart Attack?
- Does Stress Cause Asthma?
- Exercise Preventing Asthma?
- What Is Exercise-Induced Asthma?
- How Bad for You Is Air Pollution?
Medications & Supplements
- albuterol (Accuneb, Ventolin & Proventil [all discontinued])
- albuterol and ipratropium inhaler, Combivent, Combivent Respimat
- beclomethasone dipropionate inhaler (Qvar)
- beclomethasone dipropionate nasal inhaler-spray, Vancenase, Beconase
- bitolterol mesylate, Tornalate
- Bronchodilators (Drug Class)
- budesonide (oral inhalation, Pulmicort, Pulmicort Flexhaler)
- budesonide/formoterol hfa inhaler (Symbicort)
- ciclesonide (Alvesco)
- Claritin (loratadine) vs. Zyrtec (cetirizine)
- cromolyn, Nasalcrom, Gastrocrom (Intal, Opticrom are discontinued)
- Dulera (mometasone furoate/formoterol fumarate)
- ephedrine (oral)
- Advair Diskus, Advair HFA (fluticasone and salmeterol oral inhaler)
- fluticasone propionate oral inhaler, Flovent (Discontinued), Flovent Diskus, Flovent HFA
- hydrocortisone oral, A-Hydrocort, Solu-CORTEE, Cortef
- ipratropium bromide inhaler, Atrovent, Atrovent HFA
- ketotifen-oral tablet
- montelukast, Singulair
- omalizumab, Xolair
- salmeterol, Serevent
- terbutaline, Brethine, Bricanyl, and Brethaire are no longer available in the U.S.
- theophylline, Elixophyllin, Theo-24, (Theolair, Uniphyl Theo-Dur, and Slo-Phyllin-discontinued)
- triamcinolone acetonide inhaler, Azmacort
- zafirlukast (Accolate)
Prevention & Wellness
- Asthma Attacks on the Decline Among U.S. Kids
- Asthma Doesn't Have to Ruin Your Valentine's Day
- Asthma Drug Tied to Nightmares, Depression
- Asthma in America Carries $82 Billion Price Tag
- Boosting Steroid Dose May Not Reduce Kids' Asthma Flare-Ups
- Boxed Warning Removed From Certain Asthma Medications: FDA
- Could Cancer Drug Gleevec Help With Severe Asthma?
- For City Kids With Asthma, Nearby Green Space Is Key
- Climate Change May Up Asthma Irritant, Study Says
- Could Pests, Dust Lower Kids' Odds for Asthma?
- Easing Your Child's Asthma
- Health Tip: Back to School for Kids with Asthma
- Health Tip: Have Fun on Halloween, Despite Asthma
- Health Tip: Learn Your Risk for Asthma
- Heavy Particles in Smog Up Kids' Asthma Risk
- Kids' Colds Linked to Asthma, Lung Problems Later
- Minorities Exposed to Dirtier Air, U.S. Study Finds
- New 'Biologic' Drug May Help Severe Asthma
- No Decision on Climate Change Deal Until After G7 Summit: White House
- Moms' Soda Habit in Pregnancy May Boost Kids' Odds for Asthma
- Take Control of Your Asthma
- Thunderstorms Can Trigger Asthma Flares, Study Finds
- Can Trees Curb Asthma Flare-Ups in Polluted Cities?
- Vitamin D Fails the Asthma Test
- Many With Work-Related Asthma Not Getting Key Vaccine
- Asthma + No Meds = Hospitalization
- Asthma from Cockroach Allergy?
- Asthma Myths
- Asthma Specific References
- Asthma Trigger Checklist
- Asthma Winter Exercise Tips
- Asthma: Do You Have Asthma?
- Asthma: Early Warning Signs of Asthma
- Asthma: Everyday Pain Relief
- Asthma: Help Teachers, Coaches and Students
- Asthma: Helping City Kids With Asthma
- Asthma: The Magnitude of the Problem
- Asthma: When You Have Asthma
- Asthma: When Your Child Has Asthma
- Body Rhythms and Asthma
- Exercise and Asthma: A Dangerous Mix?
- Exercise Induced Asthma (E.I.A.)
- Exercise Induced Asthma - Prevention and Treatment
- FDA Approves Xolair for Allergy-Related Asthma
- Managing Asthma
- Sick Building Syndrome
- Asthma: Spring Allergies Can Trigger Asthma
- Asthma and Pain Relievers