Thyroid Q&A by Dr. Mathur
I am taking 50mg daily of Eltroxin for hypothyroidism. I'm also trying to get pregnant. Is it safe to take this medication while pregnant?
- I am taking 50mg daily of Eltroxin for hypothyroidism. I'm also trying to get pregnant. Is it safe to take this medication while pregnant?
- I am taking levothyroxine for hypothyroidism. I also have high cholesterol. Will this medication and the regulation of my thyroid lower my cholesterol?
- I had my thyroid removed and have been using Synthroid for almost 30 years with no problem. What foods or vitamins (for example iron) interfere with the absorption of Synthroid?
- I am currently taking Synthroid and have been prescribed cetirizine (Zyrtec) and mometasone furoate (Nasonex), do these medications effect Synthroid?
- I would love some information on the diagnosis of Hashimoto's hypothyroidism, and whether this condition has effects on heart disease and osteoporosis.
- Can soy foods block the absorbtion of synthroid?
- I have been taking synthroid and I cannot loose weight no matter what I do. Is it OK to take Merida for weight loss if I'm taking Synthroid?
Dr. Ruchi Mathur is co-director of the Diabetes Management Clinic at the Roybal Comprehensive Health Center and Assistant Professor of Medicine at the Keck School of Medicine at USC. Dr. Mathur looks forward to interacting specifically with individuals to discuss the concerns and questions they have as viewers.
Teaching students and patients and focusing on disease prevention are particular aspects of Medicine that Dr. Mathur enjoys. She looks forward to the opportunity to interact and help patients through this new and exciting venue at MedicineNet.
"I'm lucky because I work in an academic environment," Dr. Mathur says. "The best moments are teaching young medical students and seeing a look of 'ah-ha!' in their eyes. The next best moments are watching them translate something you teach them into practice. It's a great opportunity for me to stay on top of new developments and treatments too."
In her free time, Dr. Mathur enjoys , traveling and spending time with her family.