Doctors and cardiologists respond to questions about heart health
The heart is one of the most important organs in your body, and all sorts of problems can hinder its pumping, from high cholesterol, to coronary artery disease, to atrial fibrillation, to all sorts of arrhythmias. Sudden cardiac arrest and other heart attacks are a leading cause of death, so it's natural you would have tons of questions after a heart condition diagnosis. Luckily, our cardiologists and other doctors at MedicineNet.com have you covered. Below is a selection of burning questions from our users answered by our medical experts as part of our “Ask the Experts” feature.
For a comprehensive look at all of our full medical articles, slideshows, quizzes, and images, visit our Focus on Heart Health page.
- How serious was Vice President Dick Cheney's latest heart problem, atrial fibrillation?
- Is there a definitive test that will diagnose angina?
- How is an enlarged left ventricle treated?
- How long does Coumadin (warfarin) remain in your system after you stop taking it?
- I had CABG eight months ago and my diet has "slipped." Am I at greater risk of having another heart attack sooner if I don't clean up my bad eating habits for good?
- When I lie down at night with my head on my pillow I can hear my heart beating loudly in my ears. It is often so loud that I cannot get to sleep. I have borderline high blood pressure, could that be it?
- Can statins cause depression?
- Can asthma and the resulting inability to steadily breathe in oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide cause a heart attack in someone who has heart disease?
- I have high blood pressure and kidney problems, but I manage it carefully with blood pressure medication. I heard I still run a risk for heart disease because my BP is high - is this true? If so how can I prevent this from happening?
- Are heart attack symptoms in women the same as in men?
- I love steak, but everyone tells me that it's not good for my heart. Is this true? Is all red meat bad for the heart?
- I've heard about cough CPR. Does this work?