Patient Comments: Aseptic Necrosis - Cause

What do you think was the cause of your aseptic necrosis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Richwood, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I had severe trauma to my right thigh fifty years ago. I developed severe burning pain in my thigh due to a nerve problem, meralgia paresthetica, and while getting an MRI for that the doctor found the entire femur has avascular necrosis. I never smoked but have been overweight most of my life. I had a knee replacement and everything was diagnosed after I did not recover as expected. I think my weight and bad knee caused my avascular necrosis.

Comment from: ziggy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

My avascular necrosis (AVN) or aseptic necrosis was most likely caused by heavy prednisone use over the last 5 years due to COPD. I am a former smoker and was diagnosed with emphysema in my late 30s. I stopped smoking immediately and COPD was well managed for over 20 years by diet, exercise and occasional medication. The last 5 years however have required daily medication and frequent heavy steroid use as the exacerbations are occurring with greater frequency and lasting longer. Prednisone is a miracle for lung disease patients but is a major cause of AVN.

Comment from: Artlover70, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

My necrosis was caused by prednisone, a necessity for my kidney transplant eight years ago. I have had one hip replaced and have spider fractures in the other and both knees.

Comment from: 2young4this, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I have avascular necrosis (AVN) of the femur, probably the result of a nearly 18 month run of small intestine bacterial overgrowth.

Comment from: sheepmanswife, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

My aseptic necrosis was caused after I had a botched dental extraction. I finally saw the oral surgeon and he was shocked at the condition of my mouth. I have never had this much pain before. It is constant and unrelenting! New stitches have to be in for at least 4 weeks.

Comment from: MathMadness, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I was diagnosed with Cushing's syndrome about 3 years ago. About a year ago I started having pain in my left foot, just behind the big toe. As it turns out, I have AVN (avascular necrosis) of the bones in my left foot. I am having surgery this week to remove a minor bone (sesamoid bone) and to fuse the joint of the big toe.

Comment from: ANN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

My aseptic necrosis was due to steroids prednisolone.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

My aseptic necrosis was due to thrombocytopenia.

Symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis